Want Speakers for Bluray that WON'T annoy neighbors. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Want Speakers for Bluray that WON'T annoy neighbors.

My apartment is a fine place with one serious flaw: I can't blast surround sound without feeling like a bad neighbor. Been here a month and I really need to get my Bluray setup going. I need a speaker setup for movies that won't drive neighbors insane.

One constraint: I'm planning on using a computer monitor for the display. This means that I can't have speakers that are meant for sitting back several feet from. So no sound bars, for example. Basically I'll probably need stereo speakers.

Anyone got pointers on apartment friendly speakers? A lot of players just have a coax out and HDMI out. So I need to somehow get the audio from the player in a way that makes the speakers happy.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Edit:

(1) I view anything other than surround sound as a compromise, so I don't want top tier speakers. I know that's still a pretty vague budget.

(2): I actually would much prefer to use my Sennheiser 598s for the Bluray player, but I don't know of any players with either a 3.5 mm jack or a 1/4 inch jack. Anyone know a headphone Bluray setup?

(3): Oh snap, one more important thing: If the recommendations are too expensive, I could more cheaply buy a PS4 and use my headphones. So I guess my budget is therefore pretty low.

Last edited by SennheiserPass; 02-11-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennheiserPass View Post
My apartment is a fine place with one serious flaw: I can't blast surround sound without feeling like a bad neighbor. Been here a month and I really need to get my Bluray setup going. I need a speaker setup for movies that won't drive neighbors insane.

One constraint: I'm planning on using a computer monitor for the display. This means that I can't have speakers that are meant for sitting back several feet from. So no sound bars, for example. Basically I'll probably need stereo speakers.

Anyone got pointers on apartment friendly speakers? A lot of players just have a coax out and HDMI out. So I need to somehow get the audio from the player in a way that makes the speakers happy.

What is your room size? What is your budget? Is a subwoofer out of the question? Do you already have a receiver or do you need one to power the speakers?
post #3 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Is there such a thing as speakers that are more friendly to an apartment versus a stand alone home? I would think volume and bass performance would differentiate that and not necessarily the speakers themselves.

Lots of great book shelf speakers that would fit the criteria. Would need a budget to get you started though!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower with RAAL
Ascend Horizon with RAAL
HSU VTF-3 Mk5 HP
Anthem MRX 510 / Oppo 105D / Furman Elite-15 PFi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
You can use these easily enough and they're active (self-powered), here's a thread discussing it and its slightly bigger brother, the 308. Can you handle a subwoofer or are your walls too thin? Good audio and apartments don't mix well sometimes, you might consider headphones.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
What is your room size? What is your budget? Is a subwoofer out of the question? Do you already have a receiver or do you need one to power the speakers?
Hey there,

(1) Size is not an issue.

(2) Umm...Basically I'm willing to spend a matter of...$200 at most for the speakers. I guess. Hadn't really thought much about it.

(3) Sad to say it, but yeah, a sub is almost certainly out of the question. I really want to be a nice neighbor. Then again, they blast stuff pretty loudly... The thing is I'm above them and I'm sure any bass at all would really carry.

(4) I own nothing but a laptop and my Sennheisers. I literally have no real home theater set up.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:19 PM

This one also raises the good old headphones vs speaker debate.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton for the quick responses. Where's the edit post button?!?!! I want to add stuff to my first post but I can't see how.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the quick responses. Where's the edit post button?!?!! I want to add stuff to my first post but I can't see how.
It's right there so assume you're using tapatalk or ?
post #9 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
You can use these easily enough and they're active (self-powered), here's a thread discussing it and its slightly bigger brother, the 308. Can you handle a subwoofer or are your walls too thin? Good audio and apartments don't mix well sometimes, you might consider headphones.
I was just about to recommend those. I think Amazon sometimes is the cheapest place to find them.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's right there so assume you're using tapatalk or ?
*Nervous laughter* Umm...I'm trying to think of an excuse...I really didn't see it before...

Thanks.
lovinthehd likes this.
post #11 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:33 PM

Never done anything like that myself

Some other reviews I ran across on the 305/308 http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/ and http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR308/
post #12 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Never done anything like that myself

Some other reviews I ran across on the 305/308 http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/ and http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR308/
Seems like those would sound great. That said, I'm going to have to say no because at that price I could just buy a PS4 and easily use my headphones I already own. Then I'd have a Bluray player and a console.
post #13 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Seems like those would sound great. That said, I'm going to have to say no because at that price I could just buy a PS4 and easily use my headphones I already own. Then I'd have a Bluray player and a console.
You want speakers but you don't want speakers? Those speakers are quite inexpensive for what they are....and you don't need to add a receiver/amp as you would for passive speakers.
post #14 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Here's two speakers that take RCA input. If I get a Bluray player with coax out, could I get a coax to RCA converter and that would work?
post #15 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You want speakers but you don't want speakers? Those speakers are quite inexpensive for what they are....and you don't need to add a receiver/amp as you would for passive speakers.
Basically, I originally wanted to just buy an external Bluray drive and watch movies on my laptop with my headphones. Then I realized that pc Bluray software is horrible. That means I need a real Bluray player. Unfortunately, it looks as if Bluray players don't really have headphone jacks. Thus, I need speakers. But I'd LOVE to save money and not get speakers if at all possible.
post #16 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Here's two speakers that take RCA input. If I get a Bluray player with coax out, could I get a coax to RCA converter and that would work?
If you get a bluray player with analog outs that would be a cheaper alternative, but I believe you can find such a converter, look at monoprice.com. Was thinking your computer would be your player.
post #17 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you get a bluray player with analog outs that would be a cheaper alternative, but I believe you can find such a converter, look at monoprice.com. Was thinking your computer would be your player.
I see. Believe me, I still DESPERATELY wish there was such a thing as good pc Bluray software. Then I could be cheap and not spend money. Unfortunately, it looks like I need to go for a real player.

And yeah, a Bluray with analog out would be cheaper. Thing is, I've had trouble finding players like that.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I see. Believe me, I still DESPERATELY wish there was such a thing as good pc Bluray software. Then I could be cheap and not spend money. Unfortunately, it looks like I need to go for a real player.

And yeah, a Bluray with analog out would be cheaper. Thing is, I've had trouble finding players like that.
I don't use my bluray player in my laptop much, the software is out there for players and such, afaik though.

Look for an older model closeout or even used, might even get multi-ch analog outs and more on-board decoding that way, the trend now is towards hdmi only. I use a PS3 mostly and in other rooms a couple Sony S5100s but I connect to an avr with hdmi for audio/video.
post #19 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

More on the PS4 angle:

Let's say I get a Bluray player with coax out and a headphone that accepts coax. Depending on how expensive the headphone amp is, I might as well at that point just buy a PS4 and this $20 virtual surround thing and use the PS4 as a Bluray player.

Let's say I get a Bluray player and speakers. Again, if things get too expensive I could just get a PS4 and use headphones with that.

So basically if set ups for my existing headphones get too expensive then I may as well buy a PS4 just cause.
post #20 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Cheap speaker will annoy your neighbors much more when loud than good speakers when loud! Distortion...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #21 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I wouldn't buy a bluray player now. The ultra HD bluray players are out, wait and get one of those

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: Dual Sealed SI-HT 18" with iNuke 3000dsp
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #22 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
I wouldn't buy a bluray player now. The ultra HD bluray players are out, wait and get one of those
My impression is that there is not a lot of 4K content now. Also I want to game on the same screen and I won't be 4K gaming.
post #23 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
My old Sony BDP-S1000ES has a 1/4" headphone out on it and headphone volume control on the remote. Even though it's pretty ancient at this point (no apps or 3D playback) it's still a great player and built really well. Also has 7.1Ch analog out so you can connect it to powered speakers, and both digital optical and coax to connect it to an external DAC/headphone amp or powered speakers with digital input (like these).

The S1000ES is about 6-7 years old at this point so you might be able to find a used one for cheap. I think it was around $700 when new.

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|B&W DB4S|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E|Monitor Audio Silver RX1|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #24 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
My old Sony BDP-S1000ES has a 1/4" headphone out on it and headphone volume control on the remote. Even though it's pretty ancient at this point (no apps or 3D playback) it's still a great player and built really well. Also has 7.1Ch analog out so you can connect it to powered speakers, and both digital optical and coax to connect it to an external DAC/headphone amp or powered speakers with digital input (like these).

The S1000ES is about 6-7 years old at this point so you might be able to find a used one for cheap. I think it was around $700 when new.
Interesting. Is this it? Could you post a pic of the back of it so I can get a feel for things?

Also Amazon only has it used. Since it's so old I guess there's no way to get one new?

Can I reasonably expect a player that old to play any new Blurays?

Thanks.

Last edited by SennheiserPass; 02-11-2016 at 05:15 PM.
post #25 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Honestly, get a PS4. They are excellent Blu-Ray players and then you can also use it to play games, stream other services, etc.
post #26 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Honestly, get a PS4. They are excellent Blu-Ray players and then you can also use it to play games, stream other services, etc.
Nuts, I might have to. It's just...Here's the thing.

Initially, I had considered playing PS4 games but I'm mostly interested in PC gaming. If I buy a PS4 for Bluray, I'll feel obligated to buy PS4 games to convince myself that it was worth it.

I play a lot of story driven type games like The Beginner's Guide, The Talos Principle, Life Is Strange, etc. Are there a good number of story driven PS4 games? Multiplayer stuff I'd rather do on PC.

Once again, I appreciate you guys' helping me. One of these days I'll make a decision or something.

EDIT: Oh, and here's another thing. I plan to get a 144hz monitor for pc gaming. Obviously the PS4 won't output that kind of fps for anything, but does anyone know if I'd get any kind of video-weirdness due to the fact that 60hz and 144hz aren't divisible?

Last edited by SennheiserPass; 02-11-2016 at 05:32 PM.
post #27 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3555 Post(s)
Liked: 5473
You are asking how to not annoy your neighbors.

Step 1) Buy whatever speakers you want.

Step 2) Don't "blast" it.
zpatter1 likes this.
post #28 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. Is this it? Could you post a pic of the back of it so I can get a feel for things?

Also Amazon only has it used. Since it's so old I guess there's no way to get one new?

Can I reasonably expect a player that old to play any new Blurays?

Thanks.

That's the one. I doubt you'd still be able to find a new unit anywhere considering its age, and if you did, Sony ES gear tends to fetch a decent amount so it might be pricey.
I play movies through it very sparingly nowadays so I couldn't tell you how reliable it will be with new discs. There's an owner's thread here on AVS with some posts from 2015 that seem to indicate people are still playing back newer movies just fine on it.

Picture of the back

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|B&W DB4S|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
post #29 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
You are asking how to not annoy your neighbors.

Step 1) Buy whatever speakers you want.

Step 2) Don't "blast" it.
Fair enough. This is actually my first time living alone or in an apartment at all, so I don't know how loud it is socially acceptable to go.

What I'm thinking now is that the cost of decent speakers + a Blu Ray player would be high enough that I may as well pay a tad more and just get a PS4.

@fatuglyguy :

Thanks for the pic. So the 1/4 jack is on the front?
post #30 of 32 Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup, here's a pic of the player's face:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page