1Likes
  • 1 Post By shellyb

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
please help...

howdy~ I'm in the process of refoaming my Bose 901 series 5 speakers... I've completed the back 8 and they sound fantastic~ but now I have to refoam the single front speaker, but I can't get the grill off! I have already removed all 10 staples, 2 on each side, and 3 down the sides of the front... I can wedge it open from the center front, but it's holding on tightly to the sides ~ what gives? are the sides glued? or is there a way to remove the brushed metal side panel? please help... the web says it should easily fall off after the staples are removed, but that's just not happening. I came here in hopes that one of you have done this before... other forums I've found are only loaded with speculation ~:-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyb View Post
howdy~ I'm in the process of refoaming my Bose 901 series 5 speakers... I've completed the back 8 and they sound fantastic~ but now I have to refoam the single front speaker, but I can't get the grill off! I have already removed all 10 staples, 2 on each side, and 3 down the sides of the front... I can wedge it open from the center front, but it's holding on tightly to the sides ~ what gives? are the sides glued? or is there a way to remove the brushed metal side panel? please help... the web says it should easily fall off after the staples are removed, but that's just not happening. I came here in hopes that one of you have done this before... other forums I've found are only loaded with speculation ~:-/

I just did a quick Google search and found a YouTube video from SimplySpeakers.com that shows the process on a Series IV but it discusses what you likely have run in to. It seems that with the cabinets up to the Series IV, it is just the staples on the front. The Series V and they think some early Series VI also have a wrap around grill that wraps around and down in to the cabinet secured with an aluminum trim piece held in place on each side with three additional staples. That sounds like the problem (and the Series) that you have encountered.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-26-2016, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

ooookay... that Has to be it~ alright, the hunt for the aluminum trim staples will begin~ thank you so much~ I've watched so many videos I've exhausted myself~ I suppose I just needed to hear that that's where I need to look deeper before ripping the grill to shreds~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-26-2016, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

after further inspection I found exactly what you described, the screen wrapping around and tucked into the cabinet, secured probably by staples, held tightly in place... by an aluminium panel that is apparently pegged and glued to the wood cabinet. ugh what a mess. too bad bose didn't go with cloth rings since they were going with the "never fail" prospect, 30 years ago. ~XD it looks like my only options are a slice and a re-glue ~ oh well, I've come too far to go back now~ wish me luck ~XD
squeeks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page