Great Room - Vaulted Ceilings - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-26-2016, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great Room - Vaulted Ceilings

My house is under construction. Electrical was completed yesterday, drywall is 7-10 days out. I am going in tomorrow to pre-wire for a control system, whole home audio, cameras, etc. Pictures would probably help, I do not have any at the moment so I will do the best I can.

There is one room that is giving me a bit of trouble. It is our great room. Ceilings are vaulted all the way to the roof at the second story. It will be roughly 18x17. The TV will be above the fireplace, built-in cabinets on either side, central to the "west" wall (disregard the two fireplaces, it will only be one and it will be in the middle). The wall directly behind the seating area is only in the SE corner, as the rest is open to the kitchen up to 12 feet, then wall up to roof. The North wall in the picture is all window/doors up to 12 feet, then wall up to roof. South wall is open to the entry way, then balcony above it.

So as you can see, I only have 1 full wall in the room, and it is taken up completely by TV and built-in cabinets. I wanted to do 5.1 in this room, but seems to be not practical. My next question, is what do I do with the speakers for whole-home music?

The "north" wall is slanted above the doors/windows up to the ceiling, so perhaps I could install two in-ceiling speakers in that wall that direct down towards the center of the room?

I could just use bookshelfs and a center in 3.1 as the only tv/music audio sources?

What would you suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Room.png
Views:	69
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1280353  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawnted View Post
My house is under construction. Electrical was completed yesterday, drywall is 7-10 days out. I am going in tomorrow to pre-wire for a control system, whole home audio, cameras, etc. Pictures would probably help, I do not have any at the moment so I will do the best I can.

There is one room that is giving me a bit of trouble. It is our great room. Ceilings are vaulted all the way to the roof at the second story. It will be roughly 18x17. The TV will be above the fireplace, built-in cabinets on either side, central to the "west" wall (disregard the two fireplaces, it will only be one and it will be in the middle). The wall directly behind the seating area is only in the SE corner, as the rest is open to the kitchen up to 12 feet, then wall up to roof. The North wall in the picture is all window/doors up to 12 feet, then wall up to roof. South wall is open to the entry way, then balcony above it.

So as you can see, I only have 1 full wall in the room, and it is taken up completely by TV and built-in cabinets. I wanted to do 5.1 in this room, but seems to be not practical. My next question, is what do I do with the speakers for whole-home music?

The "north" wall is slanted above the doors/windows up to the ceiling, so perhaps I could install two in-ceiling speakers in that wall that direct down towards the center of the room?

I could just use bookshelfs and a center in 3.1 as the only tv/music audio sources?

What would you suggest?
You've given much information here. Try to reduce the text ^^^
And ask a few questions.
You can do whatever you want in that gigantic room! 5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2,
5.1.4, 7.1.2,7.1.4 and do multiple subs, and do extra zones.
You'd be happier if you "over wired" even if you didn't use it all at first. If you don't pre wire for multiple subs, you can go with wireless subwoofers. You'll just need A/C receptacles, once you do the crawl test...or pre wire A/C receptacles near corners.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #3 of 3 Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
X2 on running wire even if you do not plan to use them in the near future. Make sure you make a decent diagram to reference to access wires in future. I used 2x6's and card board to make cavities for the in-ceiling speakers so when you opened up the hole you did not get a shower of insulation. In the smaller rooms(bathrooms and bed rooms) I just used one dual right and left single speakers, they have worked out very well in use. I would also recommend running wires to your patio and deck for later use, we use are all the time.

I did not wire with wall controls, I can control the volume with my phone or tablet through the receiver. Controlling the different zones I have to manually turn them on and off at my component cabinet.

click on link,

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...hanks-avs.html

Last edited by Lewis Brazil; 02-27-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page