Speaker Clipping/Popping Issue w/ Dolby Digital - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker Clipping/Popping Issue w/ Dolby Digital

First off, I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere but I have searched everywhere and can't find anything specific to my issue. My receiver is an Integra DTR 6.8. I route everything through this via HDMI including my ps4, Xbox One, Apple TV, and Directv. I have the receiver calibrated using Audissey. For most things, like bluray movies which are mainly Dolby Digital True HD and DTS Master Audio, I use my calibrated 5.1 uncompressed standard setting which works great. When I use these, my receiver just displays pcm and the DD True HD and DTS MA work great. Here is the problem: Once I use Netflix (basic Dolby Digital), Directv (basic dolby digital), or watch an old plain dvd that is NOT bluray (basic dolby digital) I have an issue. At random times, sometimes immediately, sometimes 15 minutes in, the speakers make an extremely loud pop. Just one. But it will do it again a few minutes later and again, and again. The loud pop will come out of any random one of my 5 speakers. Never the same one. So I know its not a speaker issue. This happens with any basic dolby digital source, whenever the basic red dolby digital symbol lights up on my receiver. Now, if I turn off dolby digital in the apple tv settings or on the directv settings and use the basic 2.0 stereo setting, everything is back to ok. I have tried many different hdmi cables, same thing. I used to not have this issue and dont have any files to update this older AVR. Actually, I never updated the AVR. I dont know if thats the problem or if my HDMI cables have too slow of a speed nowadays. Or if my AVR is just broke. I do plan on upgrading my entire home theater system in a few months but I'd like to fix this issue if anyone knows of a fix since I cannot enjoy any DD content. Ideas anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 3289
First you should try to break your post in paragraph, easier to read.

According to your AVR manufacture site.
This the power rating for them;

"7 ch x 175 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven", key word "1 channel driven".
So if you have a movie that all channels are playing, your wattage is much below, and for every 3 Db you need double the watts.

It could be very well that your AVR is running out of juice.
Does this happen during loud scene?

Ray
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
That is a good receiver you have but it may well have something wrong inside...lack of power would not be one of them IMO.

I've read where DRC (Dynamic Range Control) can cause issues, in your case, Late Night on your Integra. Try playing with that.
Also I see it has a Re-Eq function, have you tried that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
First you should try to break your post in paragraph, easier to read.

According to your AVR manufacture site.
This the power rating for them;

"7 ch x 175 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven", key word "1 channel driven".
So if you have a movie that all channels are playing, your wattage is much below, and for every 3 Db you need double the watts.

It could be very well that your AVR is running out of juice.
Does this happen during loud scene?

Ray
It happens at all random times, loud or not. But if it were a power issue wouldn't I have the same problem when playing dts hd or true Dolby content?
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post
That is a good receiver you have but it may well have something wrong inside...lack of power would not be one of them IMO.

I've read where DRC (Dynamic Range Control) can cause issues, in your case, Late Night on your Integra. Try playing with that.
Also I see it has a Re-Eq function, have you tried that?
I have not. I will have to look. I also called my local home theater shop and they have never heard of this.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2016, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmboy12 View Post
It happens at all random times, loud or not. But if it were a power issue wouldn't I have the same problem when playing dts hd or true Dolby content?
I suppose it could be an indicator of an amp going south but since it only happens in the one dsp mode I'd think more about something happened there. Not sure there's much you can do about it except avoid the modes it happens in.

OTOH it seems its your avr is doing the processing other than when you have a bluray playing (since your avr is displaying pcm at that time). What happens when you change the bluray player to bitstream so the processing is done in your avr instead? Does it also display the same problem then?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I'm thinking about the electric wiring in the home. What kind of light fixtures are on the same circuit? Dimmers, refrigerators, A/C on the same circuit? Can you put your gear on a circuit that nothing else shares? How old is the home and wiring? Is this a one owner home? We've all seen DIY homeowners tapping into electric wires to overload a circuit.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
dolby digital 5.1 , Integra , issue , speaker advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page