Originally Posted by AVS Forum Notice
Hi , why isn't there a simply "Infinity" thread? instead of just 2 threads, one for Infinity "Beta's" and just one more thread for another model? I went into the "Beta" thread and noticed that almost no one posting on it actually had "Beta's"! I also do not know how to add a thread to page one here so......
If someone can, please move this to the appropriate existing thread. Or add a thread here on page one that's good for all Infinity models.
"My friends are joking that (This), is the beginning of my mid-life crisis"!! Others have simply called it; "The Sickness", But I've been planning this forever!
I just put a deposit on a pair of heavily upgraded and modified with todays tech., Infinity RS-1b's. With the "Monsoon" driver upgrade, New line source wiring and the crossover rebuilt and upgraded also. All drivers and cabinets in great working condition and currently being used. This is the second set of RS-1's. that the owner has. He's keeping the Original and un-modified set. I'll pick them up on the 1st of August 2017. That's a week and a half roughly from today. It'll be an nice roadtrip, about 1000 miles each way to pick them up. I am VERY excited about this because I've dreamed about building a system around these RS-1's. I've been dreaming about them for over 30 years since I first read about them in a magazine add circa mid 80's. And I'm still reading about how great they are after all these years!!
I do have a little anxiety and a few questions over placement and hooking them up and swapping equipment/cables to tweak the system, as I am kind of new to a separate component high-
end system. And I am going to be using some vintage equipment that I've recently purchased as I do have to be budget minded. Also I find some of the older stuff to be just plain, "Cool"! "All Hail EBAY!!!"
1) I understand that "if" the phase on the bass cabinets are hooked up wrong, "Incoming signal being out of phase to the phase switch on each cabinet". Once powered on by the 1500 watt onboard amp, all the woofers will go to "full power/full excursion" and will probably destroy all 6 transducers and cones whilst melting the voice coils in each cabinet. I'm not so sure my heart could handle that.
What is the best way to check signal phase from the amp as that will be the incoming phase to each cabinet? Do all pre-amp sections invert phase? Or is that just fairly common?
2) I am using a Marantz 6011 as the pre-amp. I called their support number but no-one there knows what I'm talking about.
3) I have two Rotel, RB1080's at 200 watts per channel I want to try bi-amping the RS-1's Hi/Mid cabinets with and a 5 channel Rotel, RMB-1095 at 200 watts per channel for my surrounds. I have the same problem with Rotel support as with the Marantz. And I see nothing in the manuals about phasing of signal path out.
4) I also have 2 Onkyo M-504's that I want to hear powering the RS-1's as well . AND AGAIN Their support is pretty worthless in this area!
5) Unfortunately I am the only person that I personally know that has the sickness, "Audiophilia", So I have no one to physically mentor me to help with this horrible affliction.
6) I am not one to go "nuts" over cables but from what I've been told that with these speakers and good equipment that I should at least try some "decent" cables. I did spring for some "Better Cables" Silver Serpents, but simply noticed a "brightness" that wasn't necessarily always a good thing with my system now, "Marantz, Rotel and Polk Audio RtiA9's". So I could use some advice so I'm not throwing away my money.
7) I looked on-line to see if I could buy a cheap meter to read the outgoing phase of signal from my Amps but have not found anything.
8) I "could" go from RCA interconnects to XLR's but I've never used that type of cable for home audio. Is there a benefit and if there is what exactly would that be?? How much would "decent" XLR cables set me back? Would using XLR's change the phase of signal? I only know that they change the "balance" because of how they are wired.
9) Would placement of the Hi/Mid cabinets do ok only 3 to 3.5 feet from front face of speaker to back wall. Could the problem be adjusted with an 32 band EQ without to much loss of musicality? Is it the rear firing tweeter that would suffer?
10) My room is 15'x37' with speakers on the 15' wall. What would my optimum distance apart be? measured center to center? Would the woofer cabinets be better in the corner or closer to the Hi/Mid cabinets like shown in the original manual? Remember these are "line source array now", not "Point source" like the original schematic.
11) This system is for a fairly equal balance of about 60% music and 40% H.T. in a 9.2.4 topology. Does anyone know what's next? Mayhap 10.3.8? Haa ha. but really? I am remodeling my H.T./listening room and can prewire accordingly.
11) I "DID" find a free app. for my tablet that says it's a "Phase Meter" but a BIG part of me does NOT want to trust a free app. off of the internet using the cheapo mic built into my tablet "Asus Zen". That reads signal phase FROM a speaker, "I could check all final phase before speaker with my current A9's before hooking up the RS-1's, I was wondering if maybe I could rent some type of unit to set this up and check all my gear from the "actual" gear or RCA cables. But I'm unsure of what to ask for or even what type of company that would rent such an animal.
ANY help, advice or thoughts would be highly appreciated.
Dazed and confused,