• 2 Post By witchdoctor

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2016, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 72
7 Speaker question

I haven't set up 7.1 yet waiting on a new AVR being shipped ....what can I expect from the side speakers? - I've seen it said spend cheap on your rears because they aren't your main focal points ..can the same be said for the sides?

I bought B&W M-1's and they are sensational for any use but almost $500 on two sides? I found my old Klipsch Quintets and tested them tonite v the B&W and they sound as good or better with some more mid range honestly ...

My question is how much do the sides come into play ? and does a show / dvd have to be in 7.1 to use? or do I have to set to all channel ? isn't that kinda garbage though? you really want that Dolby setup to do the surround -correct?

Is there a lot of 7.1 stuff?? worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 433
With me not having had a surround system for 15 years, I'll offer what a friend told me. I'll preface that his comment was specifically while talking about rear speakers.

To paraphrase him, he said it didn't matter. The movie makers, want your eyes focused on the MOVIE so all the important sound will come from the front. They don't want you turning your head around during a scene in the movie to chase a sound that went that way. Secondly, since you are getting ambiance and (his words) sounds of frogs and crickets out of the rears, it doesn't matter.

That said, a different friend of mine has a 7.2 all LaScala setup and it's outstanding.
RicFlair likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post
I haven't set up 7.1 yet waiting on a new AVR being shipped ....what can I expect from the side speakers? - I've seen it said spend cheap on your rears because they aren't your main focal points ..can the same be said for the sides?

I bought B&W M-1's and they are sensational for any use but almost $500 on two sides? I found my old Klipsch Quintets and tested them tonite v the B&W and they sound as good or better with some more mid range honestly ...

My question is how much do the sides come into play ? and does a show / dvd have to be in 7.1 to use? or do I have to set to all channel ? isn't that kinda garbage though? you really want that Dolby setup to do the surround -correct?

You want to spend most of your money on two really good front speakers and a matching center speaker.

The other speakers are much less important.

Your post does not make it clear whether you already have front speakers...or what they are; it is kind of vague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

I prefer matching speakers all around, I have full range speakers that go down to 32 hz in all 7 channels. It was worth the upgrade IMO.
RicFlair and Marantz guy like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2016, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
You want to spend most of your money on two really good front speakers and a matching center speaker.

The other speakers are much less important.

Your post does not make it clear whether you already have front speakers...or what they are; it is kind of vague.
I do have B&W 686 S2's upfront with matching center ... outstanding IMO. I have two Dayton ceiling speakers as the rear - just done last week they too are awesome - great ambiance ...I'm using an old 2008 Pioneer AVR waiting for 7.1 to arrive ... I have two B&W M-1's but I put the Klipsch in and I'm thinking 500 on two side speakers seems nutty?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
I do have B&W 686 S2's upfront with matching center ... outstanding IMO. I have two Dayton ceiling speakers as the rear - just done last week they too are awesome - great ambiance ...I'm using an old 2008 Pioneer AVR waiting for 7.1 to arrive ... I have two B&W M-1's but I put the Klipsch in and I'm thinking 500 on two side speakers seems nutty?

I personally don't think the Klipsch speakers are likely to match up well with the others.

The M1 speakers are too small IMO.

I would recommend a pair of the ELAC B5 or B6 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page