Give me an honest answer - did you waste money - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
assuming you have all of your speakers where they need to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
It just didn't seem like any sort of dramatic upgrade...marginal at best.
  • Were all of the bed layer speakers at ear height all the way around the room?
  • Were there overhead physical speakers or Atmos upfiring modules?
  • Was the receiver's room correction (Audyssey, YPAO, etc) properly run?

There are a few variables that can wildly affect the Atmos presentation and if the theater owner has not done due diligence, then the results can be less than spectacular. This is typically why store demo rooms are not stellar.

I lowered my surrounds by a measly 12" and the added separation between those and the overheads made a world of difference.

In a properly set up Atmos enabled home theater, the difference should be WAY more than "marginal".
rboster, gene4ht and olinda cat like this.

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 03-28-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post
On buying up firing atmos speakers ?
Is it bs as many are saying now ?
I'm looking at add ons to my fronts - tell me will I hear a difference ?
I've seen many people saying atmos is scamdulous...

Anyone wowed? Anyone agree ?
Here's a KC meet that compared diff receivers/processing, in which Atmos was one of them.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post28900602

BTW, Atmos enabled receiver was the least expensive of the group tested. It doesn't address the up-firing speaker question, but gives one an indication of the immersive nature of Atmos home theater experience.
RicFlair likes this.

Last edited by rboster; 03-28-2016 at 02:08 PM.
post #33 of 49 Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7107 Post(s)
Liked: 8443
Quote:

What do you have now? I like Atmos, but for my money actual in ceiling speakers are better, with up firing modules being a compromise. Although they can still sound good, with the right room set up. That said, I'm still using my pre - Atmos 11.2 setup, which still sounds great. I have sloping ceilings and no where to easily install in ceiling speakers.
RicFlair likes this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 04-05-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I've never heard up firing speakers outside of Best Buy (I wasn't impressed). Likewise I have never heard any variation of Atmos other then 7.2.4 that I've got in my theater. I have been very happy with the 7.2.4 and don't regret the upgrade at all. Admittedly, not all Atmos movies are created equal, though as previously mentioned Mad Max is a pretty good movie to test with. Other movies, like American Sniper, didn't really do anything for me when it came to Atmos. The up-mixing is good, obviously movies with an Atmos mix are better, but I've been pleasently surprised with it. Generally sound is where it belongs on the up-mixer and there are only a few situations where it has done something that I found distracting.

I would be curious to hear a properly setup system using the reflection based speakers. When I first started thinking about going to an Atmos setup I initially thought about the Atmos modules being the way I would do it. After a demo at Best Buy (literally the only place I could find with them) I was very underwhelmed. It wasn't until CEDIA where I heard setups with ceiling based speakers that I became much more interested in the technology. I will say this, in my opinion Atmos should be the last upgrade you are planning for your theater. If you're running an 8 inch sub along side a KLH bookshelf speaker system (all due love to KLH, their speakers ran my first real venture into this hobby) in a room full of nothing but hard surfaces, Atmos is the last thing you should be thinking about upgrading. If you're happy with your setup, Atmos can be an awesome upgrade.
Gooddoc likes this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #35 of 49 Old 04-06-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
Like anything AV it is all about the plan and then execution. The sound bubble created by a proper 3D audio setup is the best surround sound you've never heard ...

You're probably not going to be able to do this ^ in a Living Room ... and stay married.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #36 of 49 Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2569 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
RMK!,
I see you actually placed the ceiling treatments in the right locations, kudos! Your room looks great and very well done. Think of mine as a smaller not as refined look.

I love Atmos and I have a small room, 7.2.4 for me and will never look back. Immersive Audio is awesome.
post #37 of 49 Old 04-06-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
RMK!,
I see you actually placed the ceiling treatments in the right locations, kudos! Your room looks great and very well done. Think of mine as a smaller not as refined look.

I love Atmos and I have a small room, 7.2.4 for me and will never look back. Immersive Audio is awesome.
Thank you MK, as you well know, good HT is it's own reward ...

As to the OP's question (where is he anyway?), my answer is that the ceiling speakers were money well spent.

Last edited by RMK!; 04-07-2016 at 12:55 AM.
post #38 of 49 Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suppose I should caveat my hearty recommendation of "Immersive Audio" by saying that the codex issues around DTS-X, Dolby and Auro make the move not as seamless a process as one would hope. The speakers are the easy part.

post #39 of 49 Old 04-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I've yet to be convinced that any upwards firing module is worth it. Direct firing yes. Upwards no. Unless you have a marble ceiling that is impeccable at reflecting sound I wouldn't personally ever invest in upwards firing speakers. Also my total cost with installation, speakers and receiver for Atmos upgrade was $1000. So it was worth it. However content is scarce on standard Blu-ray's and it's going to be primarily available on UHD going forward. But then they don't have 3d editions of the movies. It's a big problem.

[Home Theater] LINK
[Music Room] Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 Floorstanders | Receiver: Peachtree Audio Nova220SE
post #40 of 49 Old 04-16-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon9 View Post
Well, you know what they say about opinions....

I have an all ELAC front sound stage including the A4 Atmos enabled up firing speakers. Couldn't be happier and frankly, I don't think I could go back to regular 5.1.

Gimmick is a DSP mode like matrix surround "Music" and "Sports".

Atmos enabled and quite frankly, even DSU in my listening area completely fill the soundstage and enhance the movie experience.

My wife commented just last night that she hasn't enjoyed watching movies at home this much in years, it sounds so good. That is all the validation that I need. My wife couldn't care less about technology. We may not even have a TV if it was up to her, LOL.

Those that have heard it and weren't impressed, oh well. Those that haven't heard it, don't knock it until you try it.

So no. I haven't wasted a penny. I was ready for a new receiver anyway and the $229.00 I spent on Atmos speakers was money very well spent.
Yet she is ok with a Corvette.. We have 2 of those in the Family. Titusville huh? My Boxer dogs name is Titus I don't have Atmos, but it is real.. Just like adding height speakers is absolutely real ! Also, there is no way I'd be with a woman that didn't appreciate my tech and enjoy it also.
post #41 of 49 Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:

I have heard from people in the business that say upward firing speakers sound good, but most of these people heard this at CES where everything was in a perfect environment with the best in the business installing it. Getting it home in your room and expecting the same thing, forget about it. If you know what you are doing and have a dedicated theater, Atmos is the greatest thing to come along since surround speakers themselves. I have heard two theaters now with Atmos, Beastaudio's room and Archaea's room and both sounded great. We actually did a little more in depth in Beasts room and I have to say I was sold, sounded great, I am in the works of doing my room now. Gotta do it right and gotta have the equipment to make it sound right also. IMO adding a cheap pair of speakers and putting them on top of a pair of towers is not going to do it for you.
post #42 of 49 Old 04-17-2016, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will I waste money on a 9.2 versus a 7.2 atmos avr?

I have an older avr, pre HDMI, and I must replace it because my new flat screen is HDMI and the sound is poor, (TV sound out via optical is stereo only). I have 7.2 speakers installed and wiring installed for 4 ceiling atmos units. The Canadian cost for a 11.2 (7.2.4) is prohibitive, possibly due to the US$ CA$ exchange rate. Is the difference that comes with 7.2.4 versus 7.2.2 or even 5.1.2 worth it? I have not been able to hear all the options because local stores have not yet installed ceiling speakers. Any thoughts?

David.
post #43 of 49 Old 01-16-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Heard a $10K Atmos setup a few weeks ago with proper in-ceiling speakers and was unimpressed. Seemed very trivial and gimmicky to my ears. I think it's just another way for the audio industry to squeeze more money out of consumers---make them buy more speakers, upgrade their receivers and even their media, etc.
I have the exact same opinion.
post #44 of 49 Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
I have a weird ceiling,

It has ceiling fans and vents in it and...my wife don't want any [email protected]#[email protected] speakers on the [email protected]#[email protected] ceiling! The Auro 3D seems to be the best way to do it in normal rooms, hear that DTS X can do speakers at the ceiling/wall junction also.

The Bose bounce speakers? Yeah, it will sound different but you are bouncing sound off a boundry. Great for marketing soundbars but if you spend the money on a discrete system--generally doing it the correct way first saves time and aggrivation.

For me, the mess has not cleared up yet and Dolby has to fight DTS and Auro 3D...maybe the best format win!

On a positive note, my wife could not care any less about Atmos. I'll screw with it when I get a new receiver and try 5.2.2 with height speakers and compare it against 7.2. In reality, I need more subs at this point and will worry about Atmos when everything else is done...or not.
post #45 of 49 Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbruce13 View Post
Dolby Atmos itself rocks...(that's not opinion, that's fact Now to your actual question of upward firing speakers. They in themselves are an alternative solution to the actual ideal of ceiling speakers (according to Dolby). I myself just installed Atmos for my home theater and could not love it more. I do not use upward firing speakers but the jury seems to be out on their effectiveness. I have seem one reviewer state that they are more enveloping than ceiling speakers due to the reflectivity aspect (although I doubt that).
This times a MILLION!

I use 5.1.4 and have had it for about a year. I could never go back. The only time I turn off DSU is for stereo music and even use it for that sometimes.

Did I waste money ? HELL NO and I'm still spending. Adding rears for 7.1.4 maybe tomorrow if the amp shows up on time.

As far as the difference in using 2 and 4 height channels it is quite a difference. Sure it adds to the effect if you can only use 2 but you are stuck with only front heights and I find the rear height really add to the illusion and effects that come from the rear. My recommendation is go with 4 height channels if at all possible especially if using up firing speaker setup.

Epson 5040UB-125" Silver Ticket 2.35:1-Xbox One S- HTPC JRiver MC24
Marantz av7702 - Crestron CNAMPX-12x60 Fully Bridged to 6x220 - 2_Crown Xls 2000's
Crown Xls 1500 - Qsc RMX 1450 - Qsc RMX 850 - 2_Inuke 3kDSP's - Inuke 6kDSP
Speakers}7.4.4 Atmos DIYSoundGroup HTM-12's, Volt-8's
Subs}8 SI HT-18 v.2's SBA 11hz Ported IB-Nr Fld 2_PA460 MBM's-UM18 FMarty-2_Buttkicker's

Last edited by biga6761; 01-16-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #46 of 49 Old 02-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Heard a $10K Atmos setup a few weeks ago with proper in-ceiling speakers and was unimpressed. Seemed very trivial and gimmicky to my ears. I think it's just another way for the audio industry to squeeze more money out of consumers---make them buy more speakers, upgrade their receivers and even their media, etc.
What was the setup?

I think we get too hung up on cost and not setup and automatically think because it cost more, it should sound better.

You can make a Pinto go faster than a Corvette and still cost less, but it's faster.

You can by a $6k camera and I can take better photos than you with a $600 camera. Why is that?

HT Configuration: 7.3.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 Subs (2x) l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo UDP-203 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.
"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Last edited by Methodical_1; 02-08-2017 at 12:39 AM.
post #47 of 49 Old 02-08-2017, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 303
It's been almost a year now, so what's your consensus now?

HT Configuration: 7.3.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 Subs (2x) l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo UDP-203 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.
"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Last edited by Methodical_1; 02-08-2017 at 12:43 AM.
post #48 of 49 Old 02-08-2017, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 921
There's no reason why upfiring speakers shouldn't work - its not a soundbar, its directed sound. Its all about the right software. Trinnov works spectacularly and using just software can do any kind of imaging regardless of physical location.

Requiring dedicated speakers in ceiling makes this tech irrelevant for 99% of people. I predict in a few years they'll roll out proper DSP and once again trigger an upgrade cycle for the next big thing.
post #49 of 49 Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have my Denon X6300H installed 3 months ago and need to say that I'm really impressed. I came from a 7.1 setup and now have a 7.2.4 setup.
It is a major difference, there is some much more depth in the sound.

I do need to say though that it is movie dependent. Some movies are great with Atmos and others, well, just suck.
I prefer Atmos above X though. X just doesn't hit the spot for me, I miss something with X. It doesn't give me an immersion like Atmos does

So to be short, no I didn't waste my money. As a matter of fact, I didn't stop spending yet ( looking into beamer and screen ) but please don't tell my wife

Audio: Denon X6300H, Front: KEF Q100, Center: Bose VCS-10 ( I know, time for an upgrade ), Sub: SVS PB1000, Surround: Polk T15, Rear: Polk S10, Height Mid and Rear: Magnat Interior ( time for an upgrade as well ).

Video: Samsung 4K 55-something-6400-something, Zappiti One media player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page