Speaker Difference for Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker Difference for Home Theater

Ok guys,
I would really appreciate your input. I had a dedicated theater setup in my old house, and I was pretty happy with it. I had an Epson 2000 projector with on Onkyo 515 and later Yamaha 667? I had a Kipsch reference center with klipsch reference bookshelves for fronts, with small, subpar polk audio surrounds and rears with a Klipsch 10 Sub. This was in a finished room above the garage, about 12 x 20 and sloped ceiling. I thought the sound was very good. However, I guess I don't have as sensitive ears as most of the audiophiles on some of these forums. I would have liked to have stronger dialogue from the center channel though. The sub was more than enough. (Granted tis was over a wood subfloor under carpet) I sold my house in December, and bought a new one. My new media room is a walkout basement, so it obviously has concrete floors. The space is 21 x 26, but I am subdividing it to have a pool table as well. So, the allotted space I am using is about 21 x 13 with 9 foot ceilings. I've took the drywall ceiling out, added 2 extra layers of insulation for sound, and put in a black acoustical tile ceiling and run the wires. I have a contractor coming in to frame out and finish a closet under the stairs for the electronics room, then carpet being laid. So, I am of course shopping now. I've decided to get the Epson 8350 refurbished to save a little money, and save for a 4k projector when the prices drop in a couple years. (I wanted the better black levels, and never really used the 3d on the Epson 2000 I had) I kept my 10 inch Klipsch subwoofer, but the rest of the setup, was written into the sale of my house. I see a lot of uber expensive recommendations for speakers, but they are way above my budget. So, are these ridiculously expensive speakers that much of a difference for movies and sports above good Polks or Klipschs, or definitive technologys? I am totally open to buying online, but I can also get speakers at really good prices from a local b&m. I would like to do 5.1 with atmos, or 7.1, but if I need to spend more then my budget to be happy with it, I can go with just fronts and center for now, and add surrounds later. I do want better dialogue, and etc. Tv and movies is the main concern, but I would like to be able to rotate a couple speakers from the theater side to point towards the pool table, to listen to music or for when my friends and I are playing cards. After projector, screen, and receiver, my budget for speakers right now is about $1000. Thanks in advance for your recommendations. I really appreciate all of you guys' help and expertise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-07-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
That is one hard read.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2016, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've only had my Polk 75Ts for a few days, not even fully broken in yet, but they sound fantastic. I've heard great things about the Rtia7's, which are more geared toward home theater, and are $500 per or less everywhere I looked. I'm sure there are lots of great choices out there, but the Polks are what I've done my homework on. I haven't seen anybody say a bad word about the Rtia series and it seems like all of their stuff is reasonably priced and easy to find on clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Set up your room properly, add bass traps/acoustic panels if you can, have good speaker placement with no obstructions and have a receiver with decent room EQ software.

That is what turns a good system into a great system IMO.

That being said, a good speaker package like this http://www.svsound.com/products/prim...urround-system
should get you started.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-08-2016, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
That is one hard read.
Yeah. I apologize it was such a novel. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement