Seaton Sound 7.2.4 Atmos System at AXPONA 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 04-22-2016, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8920 Post(s)
Liked: 15726
Seaton Sound 7.2.4 Atmos System at AXPONA 2016

With all due respect to the 2-channel rigs at AXPONA 2016, the most impressively powerful system I heard at the show came from Mark Seaton, who brought 17,000 watts of thunder in the form of Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 immersive surround. Furthermore, Sony’s VPL-VW5000ES laser projector provided the lightning with 32 foot-lamberts of HDR-friendly peak brightness on the Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K 115-inch wide acoustically-transparent screen. The visuals easily kept up with the audio thanks to the work of Ken Whitcomb (D6500Ken on AVS) of Calibrations, Inc.

Mark Seaton and his Catalyst 12C powered speaker.

Seaton’s system is right up my alley when it comes to capability. The front stage consisted of three 2000-watt active Seaton Catalyst 12Cs ($3800/each). Four Spark speakers ($1200/each) handled surround duties while Spark XCs—a compact, sealed variant of the Spark—took care of Dolby Atmos height effects. The Spark is the first passive speaker series offered by Seaton Sound and both models feature the same concentric 2-way driver as the Catalyst 12C and can be driven by an external amp or even an AVR.

A Yamaha CX-A5100 AV pre/pro decoded Dolby Atmos for the demo. The Fifth Element Atmos Blu-ray provided plenty of overhead audio action. So did a clip from Star Trek: Into Darkness, which also featured bass that hit so hard my shirt sleeves flapped against my arms.

That super-impactful bass came from two towers of 18” subwoofers. Each tower consisted of one F18+ active sub ($2300/each) and two F18-Slave subs ($1100 each). In all it adds up to six 18” drivers and 8000 watts of power just for the deep bass.

Catalyst 12C 2000-watt 3-way speaker and F18+ 4000-watt subwoofer with dual passive F18-Slaves in a three-sub stack.

Dennis Young from Home Theater Shack noted that "The only thing that could pull me from my seat was an impending return flight home. A truly jaw-dropping example of what can be done for a motivated home theater enthusiast." I happened to concur with Dennis and spent my final moments at AXPONA in Mark's room. Cinephiles take note, the 32 foot-lambert peak brightness at the AXPONA demo was same as what the El Capitan theater in Hollywood achieves when showing Dolby Vision HDR content

For effortless dynamics and a complete sense of immersion, it’s hard to beat an Atmos rig with more power on-tap than you’ll typically find in a commercial IMAX auditorium. That’s what Seaton Sound specializes in, and I hope more people get a chance to hear such a system—it's always exhilarating and at times revelatory.

Click here to check out more reports from AXPONA 2016.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-25-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-22-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Any pics of the room?
johnnygrandis likes this.
post #3 of 50 Old 04-22-2016, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I was there Sunday and it was incredible!! I have Submersives now and plan on adding a few of the f18's. Ill probably use the sparks as my heights
imagic and cuzed2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Very nice, glad to see Mark continuing to get his brand out there. The ability to add up to 3 subs (F18) per amp is a great idea and these F18s hit the sweet spot for weight as well. Not all of us can haul monster subs around and it also provides greater flexibility with achieving proper/better sub placement in room.
NextLevel217 likes this.
post #5 of 50 Old 04-22-2016, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
I want to buy Mark's products just because I like the guy so damn much and he has to be one of the most helpful professionals on the interwebz.

Sucks I missed out on the demo. I have no doubt it was incredible!
post #6 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I want to buy Mark's products just because I like the guy so damn much and he has to be one of the most helpful professionals on the interwebz.

Sucks I missed out on the demo. I have no doubt it was incredible!
100% agree, I met Mark at a HT meet here in Michigan 2 years ago, let's just says he's never at a lack of words and energy.

Truly, he goes the n-th mile in his detailed, articulate, fact based posts.
cuzed2 likes this.
post #7 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
I was wondering what he was going to do for the overheads. Now I am wonder how many 20-amp breakers that set up needs to meet its power requirements?

Talk about a "reference" set up. Wow!
post #8 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
With all due respect to the 2-channel rigs at AXPONA 2016, the most impressively powerful system I heard at the show came from Mark Seaton, who brought 17,000 watts of thunder to the show. Furthermore, Sony’s VPL-VW5000ES laser projector provided the lightning with 32 foot-lamberts of HDR-friendly peak brightness on the Seymore Enlighter 4K 115-inch wide acoustically-transparent screen, the visuals easily kept up with the audio.
Many thanks for the kind words Mark. We had the great luck of the 5000ES not fitting well into the smaller room Saturday Audio Exchange had planned to use it in, so there was a last minute swap of a 665ES to the 5000ES. We had some fun scrambling to properly support the 97 lb behemoth rather than the 31 lb 665ES, but that sunglasses-worthy picture was well worth it. Many thanks to @D6500Ken (Ken Whitcomb of Calibrations, Inc.) for insuring the projector was looking its best, and @chriscmore for making an acoustically transparent screen that still allows for such a great picture.

Quote:
Seaton’s system is right up my alley when it comes to capability. The two towers of 18” subs consisting of 2 F18+ and 4 F18-Slaves created the sort of bass that literally moves you. The front stage consisted of three Seaton Catalyst 12Cs ($3800/each). Four Spark speakers ($1200/each) handled surround duties while Spark XCs—a compact, sealed variant of the Spark—took care of Dolby Atmos height effects. The Spark is the first passive speaker series offered by Seaton Sound and both models feature the same concentric 2-way driver as the Catalyst 12C and can be driven by an external amp or even an AVR.

The Fifth Element Atmos Blu-ray provided plenty of overhead audio action. So did Star Trek: Into Darkness, which also featured bass that hit so hard, my shirt sleeves flapped against my arms.

That super-impactful bass came from two towers of 18” subwoofers. Each tower consisted of one F18 active sub ($2300/each) and two F18 passive slave subs ($1100 each). In all it adds up to six 18” drivers and 8000 watts of power just for the deep bass.
Great to see we can meet expectations in a show demo of even someone as jaded as you are from all those high-octane DIY systems here on AVS.
eng-399, DaveyMac, imagic and 4 others like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #9 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My brother in law and I were also amazed with the Seaton setup. Amazing home theater performance all around.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #10 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I was wondering what he was going to do for the overheads. Now I am wonder how many 20-amp breakers that set up needs to meet its power requirements?

Talk about a "reference" set up. Wow!
Thanks jjackrash. I'll post some more pictures on our forum and here, but getting the height channels 11' in the air did take some planning and hunting for suitable means. Some tall lighting stands did the trick as a practical means to get the Spark XC's where they needed to be.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #11 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Quoted: 8920 Post(s)
Liked: 15726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
Any pics of the room?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Thanks jjackrash. I'll post some more pictures on our forum and here, but getting the height channels 11' in the air did take some planning and hunting for suitable means. Some tall lighting stands did the trick as a practical means to get the Spark XC's where they needed to be.
I have some shots, not exactly works of art but hopefully they show what's going on...

Spark and Spark XC on surround and Atmos duty with Sony’s VPL-VW5000ES projector.

Catalyst 12C 2000-watt 3-way speaker and F18+ 4000-watt subwoofer with dual passive F18 slaves in a three-sub stack.

Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K acoustically-transparent screen.

Sony’s VPL-VW5000ES projector lit the acoustically-transparent Seymour Enlightor 4K with 32 foot-lamberts of brightness.

Some of Seaton Sound's awesome audio offerings!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-24-2016 at 10:09 AM.
post #12 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I live in Chicago and always thought about going to Axpona but never did it as I always thought it was more for 2channel stuff and I'm more into Home Theater. Well I went last year and was blow away with the Seaton setup, so of course I went again this year and was not disappointed. Great job Mark. As long as Seaton Sound is at Axpona I'll continue to go.
NextLevel217 and Mark Seaton like this.
post #13 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 3838 Post(s)
Liked: 6540
I'm gonna have to go to this show next year. Sounds like a marvelous setup from Mark! I've got a project I'm working on that those new 18's might be just perfect for!
NextLevel217 likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #14 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Looks like it was a great show.

I have a question (slightly off-topic) for Mark or anyone else who attended the show:

How did you like the Enlightor 4K screen and how far was the closest seating row from the screen?
post #15 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Show was fantastic and the room was extremely impressive. I want a few of those 18" from my basement!
post #16 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked: 1897
I went two years ago and Mark put on a great show.

It sounds like he outdid himself this year.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #17 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
100% agree, I met Mark at a HT meet here in Michigan 2 years ago, let's just says he's never at a lack of words and energy.

^^ Couldn't agree more! I have met Mark several times, first time was at Zamboniman's meet about 8 years ago.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #18 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Where the height speakers aimed forward or angled to reflect off the ceiling?
robdman likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #19 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Where the height speakers aimed forward or angled to reflect off the ceiling?
The speakers were aimed down, directly at the seats. With an ~11' height the rear speakers we were at the right elevation for the rear seats and the front for the front seats, with the middle seats having the 4 heights just a smidge below the preferred 30 deg elevation. Being the first time we had the speakers playing for any length of time elevated on these stands and through adjusting the down angle, we didn't quite have the yoke/u-bracket locked as tight as we should have, so depending on when pictures were taken, some of the speakers started tipping up more than they started. We learned a lot about what worked this year and it will only make for an even better presentation next year. With the size of the room and the inevitable reflection off the nearby ceiling, the height channels had no issue in rendering vertical location of sounds and ambiance through most all of the listening area. Having a big room really does help in delivering a good experience to many at once rather than just one money seat.
Reddig likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #20 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Looks like it was a great show.

I have a question (slightly off-topic) for Mark or anyone else who attended the show:

How did you like the Enlightor 4K screen and how far was the closest seating row from the screen?
I'll let @D6500Ken comment more directly on the picture quality, but I was very happy to have such an awesome picture on a transparent screen. I believe Ken was rather happy with the video compared to other AT screens he's worked with.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #21 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Are the speakers self powered? THe writer mentioned the sub amp but I missed if the other speakers had their own amplifiers or was there an amplifier powering them.
post #22 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Seaton Sound.... there is no substitute.. it's been 3 years since I've saw a Seaton Axpona display and I even have Catalysts at home.... yet I'm speachless once again. Way to raise the bar. The F18s are ridonculous.

Last edited by zamboniman; 04-23-2016 at 09:12 PM.
post #23 of 50 Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

^^ Couldn't agree more! I have met Mark several times, first time was at Zamboniman's meet about 8 years ago.
8 years? ? Holy cow.. man I feel old. Was it really that long ago?
post #24 of 50 Old 04-24-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
The speakers were aimed down, directly at the seats. With an ~11' height the rear speakers we were at the right elevation for the rear seats and the front for the front seats, with the middle seats having the 4 heights just a smidge below the preferred 30 deg elevation.***
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Mark. The conventional wisdom that "height" speakers (high up but near the mains, firing towards the listening area) are a compromise compared to "overhead" (ceiling-mounted, down firing) has always struck me as a bit silly.

I wish I could've attended AXPONA to hear your setup. I've heard or read only extreme praise for it.
Mark Seaton likes this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #25 of 50 Old 04-24-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post
8 years? ? Holy cow.. man I feel old. Was it really that long ago?
Indeed it has been that long... back in the days of massive AVS forum meets that were more about appreciating a system and meeting with other forum members than stressing over blind comparisons. Remember we first met after both of us drove 3 hours to one of @Art Sonneborn 's early meets... to find we lived 40 mins apart!
NWCgrad, imagic and Gooddoc like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #26 of 50 Old 04-24-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Mark likes the screen enough to have purchased it after Axpona 2015.

I'm not sure that anyone bothered to measure, but I would guess around 12' to the front row.

Ken Whitcomb
chriscmore and DRC3 like this.

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

ISF, THX, PVA
Now offering LightSpace CMS 3D LUT calibration
post #27 of 50 Old 04-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Man I wish I was there to see and hear this demo. I don't own any Seaton products but I certainly appreciate them
post #28 of 50 Old 04-24-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
I'll let @D6500Ken comment more directly on the picture quality, but I was very happy to have such an awesome picture on a transparent screen. I believe Ken was rather happy with the video compared to other AT screens he's worked with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D6500Ken View Post
Mark likes the screen enough to have purchased it after Axpona 2015.

I'm not sure that anyone bothered to measure, but I would guess around 12' to the front row.

Ken Whitcomb
Thanks.
post #29 of 50 Old 04-24-2016, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4286 Post(s)
Liked: 3006
I first met Mark at a meet at thebland's 10+ years ago when he got Runts and the B-Deap horn subs. Now I've got a few Seaton products in the basement... If I could only get to work on my HT I'd have the opportunity to use them.
Sevenfeet likes this.
post #30 of 50 Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I love AVS !!!!! We are so fortunate to have Mark (and occasionally Tom Danley) post on here. These are the two foremost speaker designers in my world. One day I may be able to afford them!
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by Wrager; 04-24-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page