On-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 09-29-2016, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
I will be using Monitor Audio BX1's as on ceiling speakers mounted with some DIY brackets.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles2205 View Post
Any luck with OWM3 as Atmos? Do you like them performing DA duty? Please also let me know the mounts you used for OWM3 speakers. Thanks!
OK, so I've had my Atmos setup running for about a week now, using the OWM3's as front/rear heights. The AVR is a Denon X4200W, with an added two-channel amp to power the rear heights.

I'm still experimenting and adjusting the trim levels to find the right balance with the rest of my system. Without a basis for comparison, it's hard to know how to rate them, but my opinion so far is they do an adequate job as Atmos speakers in my room, keeping in mind that where I have the rear heights mounted doesn't truly follow Atmos guidelines (they're supposed to be directly above surround back speakers, which I obviously don't have, since I'm running a 5.x.4 configuration with my seating directly against the back wall). Audyssey calibration set the crossover for the OWM3's to 80hz for the front pair and 90hz for the rears, probably because the front pair are pointed more directly towards the MLP, whereas the rears are a pointed a couple of feet in front of the MLP, so its measuring the speaker's off-axis response.

Both pairs of speakers are flush-mounted using the bottom key-hole slots, so they're both pointed 45° downwards (more or less, I made sure there was a bit of an air gap so I could add some padding directly over/under the mounting point to very slightly tilt the speaker a few degrees towards the MLP.

Listening to Atmos and DTS:X demo material, it sounds quite impressive - DTS:X/Neural:X in particular employs the height speakers in a very aggressive manner, so you really hear a difference. DSU upmixing is more subtle. So far, I've only watched two Atmos blu-rays: 13 Hours and In the Heart of the Sea, both good films, but I didn't find either used Atmos in a very active way. I obviously could hear the overhead effects in loud/action sequences, but I didn't get that feeling where you're immersed in a 3-dimensional cacoon of sound that some people have described.

My verdict so far - it makes a difference, but it's not a night and day difference. I'm thinking better speaker placement might help, and possibly better speakers as well, but I'm not going complain, considering the price I bought the OWM3's for (if you're in the US, I very recently saw the OWM5's drop to $99 on Amazon, so it may be worth considering if you want to stay with the OWM form-factor, but want something a little more capable than the OWM3).

As I mentioned, I'm still in the tweaking the setup. I'll be re-running Audyssey in the next day or two; when I first ran it last week, both of my cats were in crazy mode running around all over the place, so I don't think I got the most reliable calibration that first time around
murlidher likes this.
post #33 of 74 Old 10-10-2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
OK, so I've had my Atmos setup running for about a week now, using the OWM3's as front/rear heights. The AVR is a Denon X4200W, with an added two-channel amp to power the rear heights.

I'm still experimenting and adjusting the trim levels to find the right balance with the rest of my system. Without a basis for comparison, it's hard to know how to rate them, but my opinion so far is they do an adequate job as Atmos speakers in my room, keeping in mind that where I have the rear heights mounted doesn't truly follow Atmos guidelines (they're supposed to be directly above surround back speakers, which I obviously don't have, since I'm running a 5.x.4 configuration with my seating directly against the back wall). Audyssey calibration set the crossover for the OWM3's to 80hz for the front pair and 90hz for the rears, probably because the front pair are pointed more directly towards the MLP, whereas the rears are a pointed a couple of feet in front of the MLP, so its measuring the speaker's off-axis response.

Both pairs of speakers are flush-mounted using the bottom key-hole slots, so they're both pointed 45° downwards (more or less, I made sure there was a bit of an air gap so I could add some padding directly over/under the mounting point to very slightly tilt the speaker a few degrees towards the MLP.

Listening to Atmos and DTS:X demo material, it sounds quite impressive - DTS:X/Neural:X in particular employs the height speakers in a very aggressive manner, so you really hear a difference. DSU upmixing is more subtle. So far, I've only watched two Atmos blu-rays: 13 Hours and In the Heart of the Sea, both good films, but I didn't find either used Atmos in a very active way. I obviously could hear the overhead effects in loud/action sequences, but I didn't get that feeling where you're immersed in a 3-dimensional cacoon of sound that some people have described.

My verdict so far - it makes a difference, but it's not a night and day difference. I'm thinking better speaker placement might help, and possibly better speakers as well, but I'm not going complain, considering the price I bought the OWM3's for (if you're in the US, I very recently saw the OWM5's drop to $99 on Amazon, so it may be worth considering if you want to stay with the OWM form-factor, but want something a little more capable than the OWM3).

As I mentioned, I'm still in the tweaking the setup. I'll be re-running Audyssey in the next day or two; when I first ran it last week, both of my cats were in crazy mode running around all over the place, so I don't think I got the most reliable calibration that first time around
Please keep us posted. I want to get the X4200W as well. Maybe I'll hold until black friday to see if I can find a good deal. I'm currently running an S910W with front heights. I have a pair of white Kef T101 that I might use as top middle on-ceiling. Since my surrounds are already kind of high (tweeter about 2-3 feet above ear level), then I'm not sure about rear heights making a big difference. I'll try the Kefs as top middle instead of front heights until I can get the 5.2.4 receiver and keep front heights and top middle, while leaving the surrounds kind of high. My couch is against the wall too. If your front/rear heights work good enough, then I might install my surrounds lower and go that route. Kind of like Auro 3D setup, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Here's one example of using SVS Prime Elevation speakers for Atmos GARY (SVS PRESIDENT) IN NEW MARKET, MD

To be honest, I was expecting a better-looking setup for someone who's the president of SVS. The ceiling installation does look clean, but if someone can run the wiring inside the ceiling, then chances are, they would probably do in-ceiling speakers.
post #35 of 74 Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I pulled the trigger and use Klipsch AW-650s (not the THX speakers) for Atmos and they keep up fine with three Behringer B215XLs upfront and Klipsch Professional KPT-8001 for side and rear surrounds. I think just about any horn loaded speaker would be fine for Atmos if the other speakers are compression driver horns - there isn't all that much that comes out of them and it doesnt seem I am missing anything by using horn dome tweeters for Atmos. They are aimable also. That entire set up cost less than $1,500 and it completely energizes my 14 x 20 x 12 dedicated room to beyond reference with a relatively modest amount of watts.

Added some pics (please ignore my wife, and the poor photography skills - haha)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1728025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1728033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1728041  
chucky7 likes this.

Last edited by Davecraze; 10-21-2016 at 04:35 PM.
post #36 of 74 Old 10-21-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3012 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post
I pulled the trigger and use Klipsch AW-650s (not the THX speakers) for Atmos and they keep up fine with three Behringer B215XLs upfront and Klipsch Professional KPT-8001 for side and rear surrounds. I think just about any horn loaded speaker would be fine for Atmos if the other speakers are compression driver horns - there isn't all that much that comes out of them and it doesnt seem I am missing anything by using horn dome tweeters for Atmos. They are aimable also. That entire set up cost less than $1,500 and it completely energizes my 14 x 20 x 12 dedicated room to beyond reference with a relatively modest amount of watts.

I like it! Nice space. Your photos aren't that bad really.
post #37 of 74 Old 10-22-2016, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Any thoughts about using klipsch quintet 5 speakers for the rear height surrounds?

The front heights can be in ceiling, and, for aesthetics, I will likely use in ceiling aimable klipsch speakers. I have klipsch RS-10s for surround in 7.1 configuration and mains are bigger klipsch floor speakers but I need something that I can hang on the ceiling because HVAC ducting runs above the ceiling where I need to put the rear height speakers.

I appreciate any thoughts!
post #38 of 74 Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
If you look in the "Best Speakers for Atmos Thread" you'll have your answer immediately. An ex-Dolby Engineer used Tannoy Di6DC speakers.............I can personally vouch for these speakers as I was able to visit Roger's room. Wide dispersion, solid FR, and can be aimed due to yoke/ceiling attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
How much money are they ?

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
Another vote for Tannoy....though I currently do not have Tannoy as my height speakers. I am using Tannoy DC 12i for my LCR and Tannoy ams 8dc for my sides and rear speakers. I already have two pairs of the Klipsch ic 650 t for my in-ceiling height speakers. I now have my eye on some Tannoy in-ceiling to replace them down the road.

I have found the Tannoy to have a wide soundstage, very detailed and neutral sounding. My dealer really took care of me and would be happy to pass along his contact info if anyone is interested.

Ron
post #39 of 74 Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I am and will be running a full Klipsch RP system with the RP160s at LR, 450c, and 250s. Was wondering if you think the AW-400 would be too small to add for atmos? My room is 10x15 and I would be running 4 of them aimed towards the MLP. I am trying to get as small and black as I can but still have good sound.
post #40 of 74 Old 01-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

Like the Black walls. If I had a dedicated room, it would be Black, too. With all the lights off, I bet it's really nice when watching movies.
alamez likes this.

HT Configuration: 7.3.4 l LG 65C9 l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 Subs (2x) l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo UDP-203 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.
"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
post #41 of 74 Old 01-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone used the Polk Atrium speakers for atmos?
post #42 of 74 Old 01-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Has anyone used the Polk Atrium speakers for atmos?
I am using the Atrium 6's for front and rear ceiling mounted Atmos speakers and am pretty happy with them. However, I only had tried some Klipsch Quintet speakers prior to the Atrium speakers which didn't work as well.
post #43 of 74 Old 01-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post
I am using the Atrium 6's for front and rear ceiling mounted Atmos speakers and am pretty happy with them. However, I only had tried some Klipsch Quintet speakers prior to the Atrium speakers which didn't work as well.
Thank you for the input. Sounds like I will go with polk instead. Im pretty sure the quntet are similar to the aw speakers.
post #44 of 74 Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post
Looking for a little feedback on the Atrium. They won't be a timbre match to my current 5.1 set up, but nearly nothing will be as I am running an old set of Onkyo speakers that came with a HTIB in 2002. Would the size of the Atrium (4, 5, 6, 8) be dependent on room size? Our living room is 13 X 23, but we only use half the room for viewing.

Also, do the Atrium meet the recommended design requirements for Atmos speakers? Wide dispersion, concentric, etc?

Visiting since 2002!
post #45 of 74 Old 05-07-2018, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileES View Post
I used 4 Energy Take Classics along with monoprice wall mount brackets to put speaker on the ceiling. I went with the Energy's because of their small size and the rest of the speaker in my setup are Energy brand except the sub. So far I am very pleased with the results........

What did you use to hide the wires? Got a link?
post #46 of 74 Old 07-07-2018, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So is the Kef T101 considered a wide dispersion speaker??
Kef T101
Polk OWM 3 or 5
post #47 of 74 Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 3798 Post(s)
Liked: 5240
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedflow1 View Post
I don't know what he is using.

I believe these would work very well and be cheaper (some finishes are on sale too):

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #48 of 74 Old 07-31-2018, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedflow1 View Post
My apologies, I haven't been on here in awhile. I used wiremold from Home Depot. 5ft and 10ft sections, screwed to the ceiling with the U-shaped hardware. There is a silver track backing on the wiremold channel that can slide out so you don't have to fish the wire through the channels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/700-Seri...BWH1/100203464

Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 | Samsung 65" 4K KS8000 Series | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player | Sony DVP-S7700 DVD Player | Onkyo TX-NR3030 Atmos Network Receiver | Energy Veritas 6.3 mains | Energy C-C1 center | Energy C-R100 surround sides and backs | (4) Energy Take Classic satellites heights | Velodyne VA 1215 XII Sub
post #49 of 74 Old 08-01-2018, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Well since this thread has been rejuvenated, I use four of these puppies for Atmos: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Bookshelf Speakers. Works well for me .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
mobileES likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #50 of 74 Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 332
There is a thread around that talks about small surround speakers. For those of you looking for a small discreet solution to on ceiling speakers (that almost disappear), I copied this post:
When we moved a few years ago, I remodeled a family room to add a HT. There were vaulted beamed ceilings in the only possible HT room.
In past HT set ups, I had always taken care to timber match all speakers. However, with modern AVRs that is no longer necessary, INMO. The Pioneer SC series uses an MCACC-Pro algorithm which does an amazing job of adjusting for differences in speaker size, design as well as room symmetry (or lack of).
We have custom made Salk MTMs for the front three channel soundstage. However, for the surrounds and Atmos, I needed a very small speaker that plays large. After studying the issue, I installed these:

https://www.parts-express.com/bic-ve...m_campaign=pla

The BIC AMERICA DV-32B are very small, but sound incredible (5 star reviews). Plus they are reasonably priced (read cheep).
They are discreet and easily aimable. They sit right on the ceiling beams and "disappear".
The only real downside is that they are so small, the dispersion pattern is pretty narrow. I used a laser pointer to aim them right at the main listening seating.

We have a 7.4.4 system with 2x HSU, Paradigm and Velodyne for the subs (plus Buttkickers).
A Pioneer SC-97 handles the heavy lifting and outboard Marantz amps help with Atmos.
The MCACC-Pro system takes about 20 min to line everything up, then I season to taste (+2db on LFE and Atmos).

The sound is amazing. The WAF factor (equally important) passes muster.

For those of you on the fence about Atmos, take a hint from the Nike adds and "Just do it!". I feel as if it's the best addition to our HT since we went to a front projector many years ago. IMO, there is not that much great Atmos/DTS:X content available but the "presence" added by Dolby/Neural processing adds a lot to most muti-channel source material.
My $.02
Kevin Desai likes this.

Last edited by humbland; 08-01-2018 at 06:04 AM.
post #51 of 74 Old 08-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 75
This has been a great thread for somebody looking to get into Atmos and can't do in ceiling. I have one question which is not directly related. I'm a complete noon when it comes to drilling and mounting and such. How do I get started with that? Plenty of speaker recommendations here. But literally no clue how to make holes in the ceiling so that the speaker does not fall on my head.

Here is the photo of my ceiling with lights in place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #52 of 74 Old 08-01-2018, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Desai View Post
This has been a great thread for somebody looking to get into Atmos and can't do in ceiling. I have one question which is not directly related. I'm a complete noon when it comes to drilling and mounting and such. How do I get started with that? Plenty of speaker recommendations here. But literally no clue how to make holes in the ceiling so that the speaker does not fall on my head.

Check youtube.. There are many videos like the one below that show how to install ceiling speakers.

post #53 of 74 Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4900 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Desai View Post

Spoiler!

Easy ones would be SVS Prime Elevation speakers with ceiling mounts. You would ideally look for the ceiling joists and at least screw two of the bolts to them and then use ceiling drywall anchors for the other two and screw the other bolts to those.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #54 of 74 Old 02-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Easy ones would be SVS Prime Elevation speakers with ceiling mounts. You would ideally look for the ceiling joists and at least screw two of the bolts to them and then use ceiling drywall anchors for the other two and screw the other bolts to those.
You could use Drywall anchors. Those Elevation speakers are so light that a couple of Drywall anchors or toggle bolts should be enough and you can place them wherever you want!
hollisesco likes this.
post #55 of 74 Old 01-22-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So been googling all night and found this thread. The Klipsch RP-140D are so far the sleekest looking I've found, though on the expensive side. From camelcamelcamel.com, there was a big sale in September where they went down to $109 so that's something to consider. Another thing is although I haven't known Klipsch to exaggerate a lot on the specs, I find it hard to believe that a speaker that size with a 3.5" woofer can go down to 69Hz ±3dB.

Last edited by Andy o; 01-22-2020 at 06:50 AM.
post #56 of 74 Old 02-22-2020, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm really surprised this thread isn't more popular. I would think lots of people can't do in-ceiling, but like me, after going round the houses with every other possible solution, still come back to the notion that ceiling speakers are always going to sound better for atmos and then try to find a work-around.

So when only using 2 atmos ceiling speakers, the official atmos site recommends placing the 2 speakers just in from of the main viewing position. Aren't they supposed to be facing straight down? Why do I see people angling their speakers back at the viewer, if the official site says to place them in front of the viewer? Just wondering..

Any other new developments for good on-ceiling speakers? Ones that don't look so "boxy" hanging from the ceiling and have good, wide sound dispersion?

Really surprised more people aren't doing this...
post #57 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know of ceiling speakers that don't have to go into the ceiling and instead can just be mounted to it? I'd love to put Atmos speakers on my ceiling as long as I don't have to cut holes for them.
post #58 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I too have a vaulted ceiling, and ended up buying some used JBL N24 and mounted them on the center beam. With the JBL mount, they can be aimed. I also went ahead and ordered a 2nd pair to replace my surrounds. It all sounds great.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #59 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3310 Post(s)
Liked: 3111
Outdoor speakers with a built-in bracket are a good choice for on-ceiling installations. They can be swiveled (before permanent installation) and angled to direct the sound as needed. Far better coverage than the typical vertically-oriented in-ceiling option. Polk Atrium or RSL Outsider II come to mind as good and inexpensive options in this category.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-07-2020 at 11:46 AM.
post #60 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4900 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by uVSthem View Post
Does anyone know of ceiling speakers that don't have to go into the ceiling and instead can just be mounted to it? I'd love to put Atmos speakers on my ceiling as long as I don't have to cut holes for them.
What speakers are you planning on using at the base level with the overhead speakers you're looking for? And yes, there are on-ceilings available.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page