On-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
What speakers are you planning on using at the base level with the overhead speakers you're looking for? And yes, there are on-ceilings available.

I have this but in 7.1

https://www.definitivetechnology.com...ema-600-system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4906 Post(s)
Liked: 2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by uVSthem View Post
Quote:
What speakers are you planning on using at the base level with the overhead speakers you're looking for? And yes, there are on-ceilings available.

I have this but in 7.1

https://www.definitivetechnology.com...ema-600-system
I would say two to four ProMonitor 800 satellites on adjustable ceiling mounts depending on the Atmos capabilities of your surround processor. Four overheads are better than two if you can.

These may work for ceiling mounting:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005BV0F..._EOczEb16JQ3H2

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 03-07-2020 at 03:13 PM.
post #63 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I would say two to four ProMonitor 800 satellites on adjustable ceiling mounts depending on the Atmos capabilities of your surround processor. Four overheads are better than two if you can.

These may work for ceiling mounting:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005BV0F..._EOczEb16JQ3H2

Thanks, so would I have the 4 speakers pointing straight down or tilted to face the center of the room? Why not use 4 more ProCinema 600 so all the speakers match?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks, so would I have the 4 speakers pointing straight down or tilted to face the center of the room? Why not use 4 more ProCinema 600 so all the speakers match?

Depending on your budget (or save up a bit), I would really recommend upgrading the ground level speakers (the front three first) to larger, more dynamically capable speakers (Def Tech if you still like them) and use four of the current 600's as overheads. That would give you more sonic bang for your buck. You would aim the overhead speakers toward the MLP just like in a movie theater. Probably toe them in a tad. Just depends on their radiating pattern.

post #65 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Depending on your budget (or save up a bit), I would really recommend upgrading the ground level speakers (the front three first) to larger, more dynamically capable speakers (Def Tech if you still like them) and use four of the current 600's as overheads. That would give you more sonic bang for your buck. You would aim the overhead speakers toward the MLP just like in a movie theater. Probably toe them in a tad. Just depends on their radiating pattern.
Budget isn't really an issue, it's more of a space issue. I don't have room for full floor standing speakers.
post #66 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Budget isn't really an issue, it's more of a space issue. I don't have room for full floor standing speakers.

Larger bookshelves instead? Even the Promonitor 1000 for left/center/right would give you an upgrade. You can't escape physics and the tiny drivers in the 600 series are probably holding your system back.

post #67 of 74 Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Larger bookshelves instead? Even the Promonitor 1000 for left/center/right would give you an upgrade. You can't escape physics and the tiny drivers in the 600 series are probably holding your system back.
True, I could go for the Promonitor 1000. They are the same size as the 600 and use the same mounts I believe.
post #68 of 74 Old 03-08-2020, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The PM1000 are slightly larger. 10+” compared 7” tall.
post #69 of 74 Old 03-09-2020, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I have posted this in other similar threads, but thought it might help someone here:
We have a remodeled family room HT set up, with dark wood beamed cathedral ceilings. Back in 2015, we decided to go Atmos and add ceiling speakers. For WAF factors, I needed a small (but robust) speaker to surface mount on the beamed ceilings, yet disappear into the woodwork (so to speak). After a prolonged search, we ended up with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are tiny, aimable and put out a surprising soundfield. As a bonus, they are priced right
FWIW, sound is very important to us. After going down the speaker rabbit hole for 30 years, I thought I had an incurable form of "upgradeitis" (common here at AVS). However Jim Salk (appropriate name) cured me; and I have been "stable" for 15 years now. That is, our front soundstage is anchored by Salksound.
http://www.salksound.com
Jim custom built three identical (MTM design) speakers for our L/C/R. They have moved with us from home to home and continue to amaze me. I am sharing this as an aside to illustrate that the tiny BIC surrounds can hold their own with Jim's masterpieces.
Note, the tiny Bic DV-32Bs are heavy. They have a massive magnet structures for their small size. Almost 7 lbs each! This means that you need to take care with your mounting protocols. You don't want them falling on someone
RayGuy likes this.
post #70 of 74 Old 03-25-2020, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've started buying speakers already for my 5.1 setup but I have pre-wired for a 4 speaker atmos addition and was hoping I could find some speakers to mount on the ceiling and not in it. I need something that pairs well with Infinity R162, RC263, and RS152. I was really hoping to avoid directionally mounted speakers since I will have 2 rows of seating with the rear atmos above and slightly in front of the rear row (I'm afraid a directional speaker won't service them well when focused at the primary listening position).

I was hoping there would be a market of people wanting to mount speakers on the ceiling rather than in it but it seems most just do in ceiling options which is a shame.
post #71 of 74 Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3323 Post(s)
Liked: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Brayn View Post
I've started buying speakers already for my 5.1 setup but I have pre-wired for a 4 speaker atmos addition and was hoping I could find some speakers to mount on the ceiling and not in it. I need something that pairs well with Infinity R162, RC263, and RS152. I was really hoping to avoid directionally mounted speakers since I will have 2 rows of seating with the rear atmos above and slightly in front of the rear row (I'm afraid a directional speaker won't service them well when focused at the primary listening position).

I was hoping there would be a market of people wanting to mount speakers on the ceiling rather than in it but it seems most just do in ceiling options which is a shame.
You can mount any speaker to a ceiling, it's just a matter of finding the right bracket. If you are looking for on-ceiling speakers that look like in-ceiling speakers, then you are out of luck.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-25-2020 at 03:21 PM.
post #72 of 74 Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
You can mount any speaker to a ceiling, it's just a matter of finding the right bracket. If you are looking for on-ceiling speakers that look like in-ceiling speakers, then you are out of luck.
I get that, I was mostly hoping to avoid normal bookshelf speakers because of where the rear atmos are located in relation to my front and back row. This location is ideal to service both areas, the front as rear atmos and the back as mid atmos. I would also prefer the cleaner look of a ceiling mounted box rather than a bookshelf speaker hanging off the ceiling. I had hoped maybe there was a prefab or diy option available for surface mounting a typically in-ceiling speaker but it seems if that is what I want I might have to just design it myself.
post #73 of 74 Old 03-27-2020, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I found this convenient 4-pack of white flat speakers on Amazon, though I don't know about sound quality, they're suspiciously cheap. I have them in my cart but I'm not buying speakers until I move later this year maybe. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HLWD5GR/
post #74 of 74 Old 03-28-2020, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3323 Post(s)
Liked: 3122
.5" mylar tweeter will have poor horizontal and vertical dispersion characteristics, and even poorer sound quality. If it looks too good to be true ....

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page