On-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #1 of 74 Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 678
On-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X

There is an exclusive thread for in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. But not everyone can do in-ceiling. The next best thing is on-ceiling.
Lot of people ask in various threads and hence thought an exclusive thread may be useful for people looking for help.
Here's is some known/possible list as of date. Please feel free to add and I will try to update the list.
I for one use E-10 for the Atmos duty.

1. JBL E-10 (Not available anymore)
2. JBL ES-10
3. JBL Studio 210
4. JBL L-810
5. Polk OWM3
6. Polk OWM5
tezster and Madmax67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm on the same situation. My ceiling is concrete with "popcorn" texture, so it's kind of hard for me to do a half decent looking ceiling speaker installation for atmos. I was also looking at shallow white speakers but still not convinced they will look ok. And that is still not even my main concern; which is running wires across the ceiling.
What I've been doing lately is searching for speaker placement alternatives that would put them somewhere high on the wall but not on the ceiling. Problem is my HT area is open at the left to the dining area so that would force me to put a speaker on the ceiling on just one side.

Owm3 or 5 look might be an option. I've seen some others but they get expensive. Have you thought about building a shallow cabinet for in-ceilings? That might be an option.
post #3 of 74 Old 05-29-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
There is an exclusive thread for in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. But not everyone can do in-ceiling. The next best thing is on-ceiling.
Lot of people ask in various threads and hence thought an exclusive thread may be useful for people looking for help.
Here's is some known/possible list as of date. Please feel free to add and I will try to update the list.

2. JBL ES-10
3. JBL Studio 210
4. JBL L-810
5. Polk OWM3
6. Polk OWM5
Maybe
7. NHT Absolute Wall Speaker
8. Cambridge Audio WS30
??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 05-30-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

2. JBL ES-10
3. JBL Studio 210
4. JBL L-810
5. Polk OWM3
6. Polk OWM5
If you look in the "Best Speakers for Atmos Thread" you'll have your answer immediately. An ex-Dolby Engineer used Tannoy Di6DC speakers.............I can personally vouch for these speakers as I was able to visit Roger's room. Wide dispersion, solid FR, and can be aimed due to yoke/ceiling attachment.

Madmax67, olinda cat and rboster like this.
post #5 of 74 Old 05-30-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
If you look in the "Best Speakers for Atmos Thread" you'll have your answer immediately. An ex-Dolby Engineer used Tannoy Di6DC speakers.............I can personally vouch for these speakers as I was able to visit Roger's room. Wide dispersion, solid FR, and can be aimed due to yoke/ceiling attachment.

How much money are they ?

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #6 of 74 Old 05-31-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
How much money are they ?

I'm not sure, but I think $350-400 per speaker or maybe pair,,,,,,,,,,,,can't remember..........................all you can ask for...........wide dispersion, F3 below 80 Hz and are fairly neutral speaker. The Tannoy Di6DC's integrated very well with Roger's Aerials for LCR's and B&W's for surrounds................................
Madmax67 likes this.
post #7 of 74 Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I'm not sure, but I think $350-400 per speaker or maybe pair,,,,,,,,,,,,can't remember..........................all you can ask for...........wide dispersion, F3 below 80 Hz and are fairly neutral speaker. The Tannoy Di6DC's integrated very well with Roger's Aerials for LCR's and B&W's for surrounds................................
Yeah. I looked on their website and it looked like they are a professional install usually. I want an on ceiling speakers (no attic or crawl space access on 2nd floor) but I'd like something wide dispersion like these or maybe bipole in nature. My ceiling is only 7 ft. 6 in. high so I'm not sure how mounting a bookshelf or satellite speaker would sound. Worried it would be too directional . Out of my budget though if that's apiece. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks for responding.

-Tom

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #8 of 74 Old 06-01-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 730
I too was looking at the Tannoy DC line for atmos at Rogers recommendation. It looks like all or at least most of the line is discontinued? And the remaining stock seems to be sold at higher prices than before. Around 250-300 each for the Di5DC which is the little brother to the Di6 I was considering. It is down 3 db at 90 hz.

Anyway, I am a bit worried about timbre match because I have JTR 212 HT's as mains. So as sounds pan around the room it seems that matching speakers would be more important than with channel based surround formats.

A few I am considering to add to the list.

1. DIY sound group Concentric 8

2. DIY sound group Volt line. The 6 or 8'' version.

3. Reaction Audo Axis 5.

4. JBL 8320.

I have heard the Volts and thought they were good for the price. Have not heard the others.

I would prefer to have something that is ceiling mountable from a fully adjustable mount that pans and tilts. Coverage can be tricky when you actually look at the angles required with a low 7'6'' ceiling.

Building a DIY box is a good solution if you are trying to fit something in a tight space and you want the best driver for your buck.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #9 of 74 Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 AM

How about Kef T101? Those look ideal. They are $550 a pair though

Last edited by Lando_pr; 06-02-2016 at 04:21 AM.
post #10 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 730
I ended up purchasing the materials to put together the Volt 6 LX ported from diysoundgroup.

Coaxial design gives 90 degree dispersion. The box is reasonably sized and offers great extension. I am pairing them with a fully adjustable ceiling mount to pinpoint the dispersion and experiment with the angles. They are priced around $135 each which is good enough for me to roll the dice.
Madmax67 and louisdamani like this.
post #11 of 74 Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando_pr View Post
How about Kef T101? Those look ideal. They are $550 a pair though
I was considering exactly these paired with a T305 set for a 5.1.2 setup in a room without a whole lot of space for larger options. The big downside I see is that these appear to mount flat only, so there's no possibility of angling them towards the listening position, but I like that they're very low profile and can be bought in white (so they won't impose on the room when not in use).

I imagine the recommended mounting position would be somewhat narrower than the front surrounds, slightly in front of the listening position, but I don't know enough about different speaker designs to gauge how they're likely to perform in this configuration. I doubt I could find anyplace with these ceiling mounted to demo.

Any thoughts on this setup?

Last edited by chaos215bar2; 08-16-2016 at 06:43 PM.
post #12 of 74 Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I suspect that these would also work well, especially for those with horn loaded mains and surrounds. Nice sensitivity even if Klipsch always overrates its non-pro speaker lines. Differing opinions welcome as I need to buy my 4 atmos speakers soon.

They are not concentric coaxes like the Tannoys, though. You can get them on ebay for around 300 per pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-AW-65...keywords=aw650

Last edited by Davecraze; 08-16-2016 at 07:59 PM.
post #13 of 74 Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I'm using 4 ceiling mounted SVS Prime Satellites for Atmos duty.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #14 of 74 Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I used 4 Energy Take Classics along with monoprice wall mount brackets to put speaker on the ceiling. I went with the Energy's because of their small size and the rest of the speaker in my setup are Energy brand except the sub. So far I am very pleased with the results........

chucky7 and Sammie2980 like this.

Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 | Samsung 65" 4K KS8000 Series | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player | Sony DVP-S7700 DVD Player | Onkyo TX-NR3030 Atmos Network Receiver | Energy Veritas 6.3 mains | Energy C-C1 center | Energy C-R100 surround sides and backs | (4) Energy Take Classic satellites heights | Velodyne VA 1215 XII Sub
post #15 of 74 Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Great thread. Something I am looking for.

Below is my ceiling speaker (jbl control one) placement.

Looking for suggestions as I mostly get confused if the sound is coming from ceiling or from surrounds.

Tried keeping them low in the stand but found it too close to the listening position.

May be I should keep my dynamic EQ off, as the surrounds are aggressive that the ceiling sound could not be identified.

The couch covered temporarily with a bedsheet is my listening position which is close to the wall window behind.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

HT 5.2.4 - Marantz SR6011 -> Elac B6.2 + Elac C5.2 + Elac B6 (surround) + JBL Control 1 (TM) + JBL B15 (RH) + Two SVS PB1000
Samsung Bluray Player
post #16 of 74 Old 09-07-2016, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I tried the Tannoy Di6DCI as Height/Top speakers but was not quite satisfied with them. I replaced them with these:
Community Pro - CS8 | 8-inch Coaxial Two-Way Surface Mount Approx price $464 pr spkr

They are also available in smaller sizes, in both black & white options:
Community Pro - CS6 | 6-inch Coaxial Two-Way Surface Mount Approx price $364 pr spkr
Community Pro - CS4 | 4.5-inch Coaxial Two-Way Surface Mount Approx price $296 pr spkr

Available at -> http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/CMM...-Speakers.html

They work quite well and the best thing is they come with their own, very flexible, wall/ceiling mounts which allow great flexibility in positioning and directing the sound.

Last edited by Sanjay; 09-07-2016 at 10:46 PM.
post #17 of 74 Old 09-15-2016, 12:09 AM

is it not many people using ceiling speaker the reason for this thread not quite active and no suggestions for improvement are given or the members are so immersed in the set up that they find no time here

HT 5.2.4 - Marantz SR6011 -> Elac B6.2 + Elac C5.2 + Elac B6 (surround) + JBL Control 1 (TM) + JBL B15 (RH) + Two SVS PB1000
Samsung Bluray Player
post #18 of 74 Old 09-15-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I think a lot of people who can't do in-ceiling simply opt for the use of add-on Atmos modules: you just place them on top of your front speakers and you're done. On-wall/On-ceiling options still require some thought and effort to deal with speaker mounting and wiring.

In my small living area, I went with two pairs of Polk OWM-3's and mounted them as front/rear heights. I needed/wanted a setup that would integrate into the room more seamlessly than your typical boxy speaker cabinet, so I definitely compromised to some degree with my speaker choice.

post #19 of 74 Old 09-15-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidher View Post
is it not many people using ceiling speaker the reason for this thread not quite active and no suggestions for improvement are given or the members are so immersed in the set up that they find no time here
As said below I think there are a few factors at play here. First I think because Atmos is such a significant cost to setup, a lot of people are going the extra step and doing the in-ceiling install. For me personally the wiring would have been difficult, and I'm not that handy to begin with so that idea was quickly nixed. For people who don't want in-ceiling I think the next best option often becomes the add on modules. They're easier to work with and still kind of pretty in a living room environment. I have a dedicated theater and have totally given up all efforts at making it pretty, my theater is utilitarian to the very core. With that, on-ceiling speakers made total sense in my setup, I'm just not convinced however it would make sense for the majority of Atmos users in the world.
aaranddeeman and murlidher like this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #20 of 74 Old 09-15-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Another thing is simple awareness, many newbies to Atmos come here to research after they've find out about Atmos from some sales geek somewhere, and those guys normally don't "really" know any more than they are told by their store (which is minimal at best) and Height or On-ceiling options are never even mentioned, even the few that know if this option won't mention it because it would cut down on the sale of modules and in-ceiling installs for the stores to do.
You'd be surprised the number of people who I've helped with setups that had no idea Heights were an approved option.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 09-20-2016 at 12:52 AM.
post #21 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
In my small living area, I went with two pairs of Polk OWM-3's and mounted them as front/rear heights. I needed/wanted a setup that would integrate into the room more seamlessly than your typical boxy speaker cabinet, so I definitely compromised to some degree with my speaker choice.
Are you using the OWM-3's for dolby atmos or as you stated they'r just for the height channels? If you are using for atmos, please let me know how it works for atmos. Do they sound immersive?
post #22 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Are JBL control one speakers good choice for atmos? Is the ceiling you mounted them concrete? How did you manage to mount them?
post #23 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileES View Post
I used 4 Energy Take Classics along with monoprice wall mount brackets to put speaker on the ceiling. I went with the Energy's because of their small size and the rest of the speaker in my setup are Energy brand except the sub. So far I am very pleased with the results........
Looks nice. Are the classics good for the atmos use or do you feel you should upgrade?
post #24 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles2205 View Post
Looks nice. Are the classics good for the atmos use or do you feel you should upgrade?
Thanks, yes they work very good for Atmos, so far I am very happy with them. They were a pain to mount, however much better than the atmos up firing Onkyo's I had.

Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 | Samsung 65" 4K KS8000 Series | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player | Sony DVP-S7700 DVD Player | Onkyo TX-NR3030 Atmos Network Receiver | Energy Veritas 6.3 mains | Energy C-C1 center | Energy C-R100 surround sides and backs | (4) Energy Take Classic satellites heights | Velodyne VA 1215 XII Sub
post #25 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Are you using the OWM-3's for dolby atmos or as you stated they'r just for the height channels? If you are using for atmos, please let me know how it works for atmos. Do they sound immersive?
I'm only using them as Neo X/PLIIz heights right now, but I'll be posting an update next week. I've got a Denon X4200 on the way, and will be running a true 5.2.4 configuration using front/rear heights by next weekend
post #26 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I'm only using them as Neo X/PLIIz heights right now, but I'll be posting an update next week. I've got a Denon X4200 on the way, and will be running a true 5.2.4 configuration using front/rear heights by next weekend
That'll be quite helpful. I have my receiver on the way too and so I am in the process of choosing the atmos speakers.
post #27 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileES View Post
Thanks, yes they work very good for Atmos, so far I am very happy with them. They were a pain to mount, however much better than the atmos up firing Onkyo's I had.
I have Energy rc speakers set up (3 LCRs and RC-R surrounds) and trying to choose atmos speaker now. I have rc-micros at home (in India) but not sure if they will do like classics. The rc-micros can be crossover at 150hz. i think classic can get a bit low. I am thinking about choosing small bookshelfs (like rc-mini etc.)
post #28 of 74 Old 09-18-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Are JBL control one speakers good choice for atmos? Is the ceiling you mounted them concrete? How did you manage to mount them?
Mine ceiling is concrete. The speakers come with a mount and screws, so did a little bit of drilling. It also has a chain lock which holds the speakers from falling as a safety measure.

Initially I was skeptical if it was in action. Later I ran stereo mode in zone 2 and got to know they are nice speakers and did give a good sound.

Together in 5.1.2 it doesn't stand out but get a good surround immersive experience.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Samsung Bluray Player
post #29 of 74 Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I have Energy rc speakers set up (3 LCRs and RC-R surrounds) and trying to choose atmos speaker now. I have rc-micros at home (in India) but not sure if they will do like classics. The rc-micros can be crossover at 150hz. i think classic can get a bit low. I am thinking about choosing small bookshelfs (like rc-mini etc.)
I have the classics crossover set at 120hz, I also have another set in another room paired to a sub, they do play low. The only thing I would change for my setup is for the classics to be in white so they blend into the ceiling. Sitting on the couch you can't help but notice them with the lights on, however when I watch movies I kill the lighting and they disappear visually. I have a few Dolby Atmos demo discs, they definitely do the job with the height material, a good purchase if you decide on the Classics.

post #30 of 74 Old 09-28-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Any luck with OWM3 as Atmos? Do you like them performing DA duty? Please also let me know the mounts you used for OWM3 speakers. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page