What computer speakers to get? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 122 Old 05-27-2016, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
vertical dispersion is basically a non issue for me in how I use mine. Any focused, and most general ambient, listening I do is when I am sitting at the computer. I'm in a stationary spot not bouncing around, or getting up and down constantly. Whether I'm sitting up straight, hunched over, or slumped back in my chair with my feet up, I'm always well within the vertical range for these. Standing up, with the tweeter now level with my midsection, they will lose a lot of the sense perception characteristics (soundstage, imaging, etc) that make listening to them so entrancing.
If I get up or go across the room to do something, I can still enjoy the music in an ambient way (the tonalities are still pleasant), but I won't get the sensory experience that comes from listening in the sweet spot (being at the apex of a more or less equilateral triangle). But that's OK because if I'm across the room, my focus is obviously on some task at hand, not critical listening.

If you are looking for speakers that you are going to listen to on the couch 8' away, these probably aren't for you. Nor are they intended to be used that way. The Stealth 8's might be more in the line of smaller "room" speakers, but at that point you might as well start looking at passives with a receiver/amp.
When Dave F gets done with his satellite versions of the Sierra's with the RAAL tweeters, those are likely to be a killer desktop solution. But even then, I expect a sub will be nearly mandatory. And the active crossovers found in powered speakers will still have some advantages.

If you can get to a Best Buy with a Magnolia, check out the Martin Logan bookshelf speakers. These are very similar to the Emotiva's (AMT tweeter, 5.5" woofer) albeit a passive with a much prettier shell. At $400 each for the MLs, you'll better be able to understand what a good value the Emotivas are when you finally get to hear those.

This is just my $.02 from my 6 months of experience with them. A lot more people know a lot more than I do. As with anything audio related, it's ultimately going to be a personal preference thing that you can only ascertain fully by experiencing as much as you can for yourself.

Don't be afraid to buy and return!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 122 Old 05-27-2016, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
What cables do you think I can use, with the Airmotiv 6s, that can be pulled 2-3 feet apart?
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5598 These are what I'm using and they work just fine. You can split the left and right easily with a small nick from an exacto knifge and then just pulling them apart. I'd would leave the last foot or two close to the 3.5 jack intact just to make it more streamlined.
post #33 of 122 Old 05-28-2016, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
vertical dispersion is basically a non issue for me in how I use mine. Any focused, and most general ambient, listening I do is when I am sitting at the computer. I'm in a stationary spot not bouncing around, or getting up and down constantly. Whether I'm sitting up straight, hunched over, or slumped back in my chair with my feet up, I'm always well within the vertical range for these. Standing up, with the tweeter now level with my midsection, they will lose a lot of the sense perception characteristics (soundstage, imaging, etc) that make listening to them so entrancing.
If I get up or go across the room to do something, I can still enjoy the music in an ambient way (the tonalities are still pleasant), but I won't get the sensory experience that comes from listening in the sweet spot (being at the apex of a more or less equilateral triangle). But that's OK because if I'm across the room, my focus is obviously on some task at hand, not critical listening.

If you are looking for speakers that you are going to listen to on the couch 8' away, these probably aren't for you. Nor are they intended to be used that way. The Stealth 8's might be more in the line of smaller "room" speakers, but at that point you might as well start looking at passives with a receiver/amp.
When Dave F gets done with his satellite versions of the Sierra's with the RAAL tweeters, those are likely to be a killer desktop solution. But even then, I expect a sub will be nearly mandatory. And the active crossovers found in powered speakers will still have some advantages.

If you can get to a Best Buy with a Magnolia, check out the Martin Logan bookshelf speakers. These are very similar to the Emotiva's (AMT tweeter, 5.5" woofer) albeit a passive with a much prettier shell. At $400 each for the MLs, you'll better be able to understand what a good value the Emotivas are when you finally get to hear those.

This is just my $.02 from my 6 months of experience with them. A lot more people know a lot more than I do. As with anything audio related, it's ultimately going to be a personal preference thing that you can only ascertain fully by experiencing as much as you can for yourself.

Don't be afraid to buy and return!
Thanks for the explanation. That was helpful.

Yes, when listening to music, I plan to be near the computer, at the desk, on my chair.

And agree, if I'm across the room (less likely scenario), then agree, I won't be listening as critically. So if it doesn't sound as great as it would in the sweet spot, that's ok.

Even though I said earlier in the thread that this isn't the primary way I listen to music, I just want to make sure that within the budget I was trying to keep, I will still enjoy music as much as possible, for when I do listen to music on the computer.

After some discussions in these threads, I've cut back on some of the other features I was looking for, such as wireless or the possibility of wireless extension after adding extension devices, because it seems the money goes toward that, rather than the speaker characteristics itself.

Last edited by nuraman00; 05-28-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 122 Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5598 These are what I'm using and they work just fine. You can split the left and right easily with a small nick from an exacto knifge and then just pulling them apart. I'd would leave the last foot or two close to the 3.5 jack intact just to make it more streamlined.
Thank you.

Just ordered these, as well as the Hosa CMP159 for the JBLs.

I'm happy that I'll have the cables ready before I order the speakers, so I won't have to deal with potentially not having the right cables, and thus not able to start the comparison, when the speakers arrive, and waste part of the return period time.
post #35 of 122 Old 05-28-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7061 Post(s)
Liked: 5365
Looking forward to reading about how you like the JBLs...

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #36 of 122 Old 05-31-2016, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I emailed Emotiva and asked when the Airmotiv 6s would be available.

Here's their response.

I guess I'll wait a month and ask again. Do you think their month timetable is close to being accurate?

+++++++++++

Thank you for your email. I do apologize for the delay. Current ETA is not available. It may be another month or so, but at this time we do not have a confirmation.
Thank you and regards,
post #37 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
The email indicates they don't really know.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #38 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably going to be a good while yet. Weird. Might as well just try the JBLs and if they work for you, keep them and don't look back.

I too was looking forward to your thoughts between the two, but it doesn't look like they will be available anytime soon (though even if they were I would have suggested you try to wait for a future sale on them anyway).
post #39 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 265 Post(s)
Quoted: 3700 Post(s)
Liked: 4474
I know it's over your budget but you should try a pair of Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, best speakers for near field that I ever listened to. I have them paired with an Apogee Duet for Mac Audio Interface/DAC and a Rythmik Audio L22 subwoofer.

PS: Never mind, I just read that you got JBL speakers already

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #40 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I know it's over your budget but you should try a pair of Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, best speakers for near field that I ever listened to. I have them paired with an Apogee Duet for Mac Audio Interface/DAC and a Rythmik Audio L22 subwoofer.

PS: Never mind, I just read that you got JBL speakers already
I haven't gotten the JBL yet, waiting for the Airmotiv 6s to be in stock so I can order both at the same time, and try them out.

How did you think the sound was without a subwoofer? Just curious as to how people feel about the sound of these types of speakers, without a subwoofer.
post #41 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
UPDATE:

I emailed Emotiva and asked when the Airmotiv 6s would be available.

Here's their response.

I guess I'll wait a month and ask again. Do you think their month timetable is close to being accurate?

+++++++++++

Thank you for your email. I do apologize for the delay. Current ETA is not available. It may be another month or so, but at this time we do not have a confirmation.
Thank you and regards,
I emailed them again just to ask and make sure they weren't going to be discontinued.

Their response:

+++++++++++++

We will be getting more, just no eta as of yet. They are not discontinued.
I will put your name on the reserve list and email you when we receive a firm eta.
Thank you and we do apologize for the delay.
post #42 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 265 Post(s)
Quoted: 3700 Post(s)
Liked: 4474
Quote:
I haven't gotten the JBL yet, waiting for the Airmotiv 6s to be in stock so I can order both at the same time, and try them out.

How did you think the sound was without a subwoofer? Just curious as to how people feel about the sound of these types of speakers, without a subwoofer.
I like them a lot without subwoofer. I add the subwoofer just last week but I have the speakers since November 2015.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #43 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 PM

The JBL LSR308s play down to 40hz without a problem. Since you are using them near field, you don't need a sub to fill a large room with bass. Unless the music you listen to has a lot of below 40hz content, probably wouldn't have any advantage using a subwoofer.

When stuff from Emotiva gets out of stock, it's often a LONG time before it's back in stock. Are you sure you want to wait? You could compare with the Adam F5 instead, another popular monitor in this budget range.

Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #44 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
The JBL LSR308s play down to 40hz without a problem. Since you are using them near field, you don't need a sub to fill a large room with bass. Unless the music you listen to has a lot of below 40hz content, probably wouldn't have any advantage using a subwoofer.

When stuff from Emotiva gets out of stock, it's often a LONG time before it's back in stock. Are you sure you want to wait? You could compare with the Adam F5 instead, another popular monitor in this budget range.
Good point. I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but there's so many different things to think about, when getting a sound system, that sometimes one aspect of it gets lost.

Yes, I will be using them near field. And, filling a large room with bass is the least of my priorities. Thanks again.

After this much research, and reaching a conclusion, I think I do want to wait. Thanks for another recommendation, though.

A question about these Swan M50W which were mentioned early on.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443

Bi - amplification was mentioned a little while ago, for the JBLs and the Airmotiv.

What would you consider these Swans? One amplifier in the subwoofer, and one in each satellite? Or two amplifiers in each satellite, and another in the subwoofer? And how can you tell?

And, another question in general. Why do so many of these speakers (Airmotiv; JBL; Adam) have all controls on the back? Why can't they have a volume knob on the front? There must be some reason if they're all designed that way.

I will be getting an Amazon keyboard with volume + mute buttons for easier controls, but just wondering.
post #45 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I like them a lot without subwoofer. I add the subwoofer just last week but I have the speakers since November 2015.
Thanks.
post #46 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7061 Post(s)
Liked: 5365
Quote:
And, another question in general. Why do so many of these speakers (Airmotiv; JBL; Adam) have all controls on the back? Why can't they have a volume knob on the front? There must be some reason if they're all designed that way.
Probably easier/cheaper to make, plus makes the speaker sleeker looking---and yes, they probably assume that you're going to control the volume through your computer anyway.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #47 of 122 Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
GWhy can't they have a volume knob on the front? There must be some reason if they're all designed that way.
Well, it's not really a volume control. It's a gain control. You optimize it along with the other speaker adjustments in initial setup, and then you use either your computer or pro audio interface to control the volume after that. So no need for it to be on the front. Plus, the controls are built into the amp, all part of one unit.

post #48 of 122 Old 06-03-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Zeos (Z reviews) has finally posted his review of the Airmotiv 5 & 6's. I've been checking his channel nearly everyday for the last 5 months waiting for it.

Not a technically in-depth review, but he does give some practical information comparing the two to each other as well as some off hand comparisons to the JBL 305's, SVS Ultras, and Vantoos among others.

The only thing in there I take exception to is the idea that just because the 6's are $100 more than the 5's, why would anyone buy the 5's? Well, it really isn't the money that is going to be the sticking point for most people- it's the size and logistics involved. I had to pull my computer desk out about three inches from the wall so that the rear ports on the 5's would have a little more extra room if I kept them at a decent arm's length from me. To accommodate the 6's I would need to pull out my desk about 8" from the wall at least, and then they would still have an imposing presence on the desk. I just don't see it working in my set up.
But it doesn't really matter because the 5's are as much speaker as I need in this situation.

BTW I didn't need anyone to tell me these were good speakers. I've known that listening to them for the last 6 months. But it's nice to hear from other people who audition a lot more gear than I do, that they stack up well in a field that is getting more and more crowded with great value alternatives.
As he says near the end of the review, with the passives due out in a few month and their amps highly regarded, Emotiva is seriously looking to take over the world as a value leader in this hobby.

Last edited by Paulidan; 06-03-2016 at 02:28 PM.
post #49 of 122 Old 06-03-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
As he says near the end of the review, with the passives due out in a few month and their amps highly regarded, Emotiva is seriously looking to take over the world as a value leader in this hobby.
Emotiva has been a value leader in the hobby for years (Z Reviews is a newbie to the hobby and doesn't know history). Some of the amp models in the past that they no longer carry have been extremely popular. They used to sell powered subs and passive speakers. The subs were popular when on sale, but they were smaller 8" and 10" sealed subs. I don't think their passive speakers ever took off. HSU and Ascend used to get regularly recommended over them here on AVS. Now with HSU, Ascend, Chane, EMPTek, Elac, and SVS's offerings, it's a tough market to break into. I wouldn't have big expectations that their passive speakers will blow people away compared to what is currently available.

post #50 of 122 Old 06-03-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wasn't familiar with Emotiva prior to researching computer speaker options back in December. I bought my receiver back in 2002 and haven't bothered keeping up with whats new in the electronics area. I don't really want bells and whistles. But since December I've become more conscious about how many people have some piece of Emotiva gear listed in their sigs.

It is a tough market now, with a lot of strong competition. I don't expect their new passives to necessarily be 'better' than Sierras, or SVS Ultras (I'm sure they won't be). But putting out floorstanders at $700/pr and a serious looking WTMW center at $250- all with nice AMT tweeters- those are some killer, entry level price points. If the SQ is consistent to their powered monitors, those are going to some great budget/value options for people. As much as I love Ascend, I may come to regret going with the bamboo cabinet Sierra bookshelves, if Emotiva can deliver a fuller range system across the board, that sounds nearly as good, for less than half the cost.

But we'll just have to see.
post #51 of 122 Old 06-11-2016, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Zeos (Z reviews) has finally posted his review of the Airmotiv 5 & 6's. I've been checking his channel nearly everyday for the last 5 months waiting for it.

https://youtu.be/wb9UCShlpoU

Not a technically in-depth review, but he does give some practical information comparing the two to each other as well as some off hand comparisons to the JBL 305's, SVS Ultras, and Vantoos among others.

The only thing in there I take exception to is the idea that just because the 6's are $100 more than the 5's, why would anyone buy the 5's? Well, it really isn't the money that is going to be the sticking point for most people- it's the size and logistics involved. I had to pull my computer desk out about three inches from the wall so that the rear ports on the 5's would have a little more extra room if I kept them at a decent arm's length from me. To accommodate the 6's I would need to pull out my desk about 8" from the wall at least, and then they would still have an imposing presence on the desk. I just don't see it working in my set up.
But it doesn't really matter because the 5's are as much speaker as I need in this situation.

BTW I didn't need anyone to tell me these were good speakers. I've known that listening to them for the last 6 months. But it's nice to hear from other people who audition a lot more gear than I do, that they stack up well in a field that is getting more and more crowded with great value alternatives.
Thanks for posting this. Somewhat entertaining.

I agree that it's not as much about the $100 between the 5s and 6s, but more about the size and weight. 24 lbs. for the 6s, wow. That's a huge difference.

I don't have a problem with the blue LED light that he does.

Also, it's nice that he had others that he compared them too, like the JBL, etc. And he talked about how he used his other speakers.
post #52 of 122 Old 06-12-2016, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
I wasn't familiar with Emotiva prior to researching computer speaker options back in December. I bought my receiver back in 2002 and haven't bothered keeping up with whats new in the electronics area. I don't really want bells and whistles. But since December I've become more conscious about how many people have some piece of Emotiva gear listed in their sigs.
[Raises Hand] Like ME. I'd definitely order the 6S direct from Emotiva. You'll be fine bass-wise with anything except EDM, Rap, and most electronica. Playing that kind of music is fine on the 6S but a sub adds that extra thump. Rock with heavy bass drum kicks will render just fine with just the 6S. If you listen to mostly bass-heavy music, then the SVS SB-2000 is a perfect match for the 6S. Where the Emotiva shines is with female vocals, like a lot of what is found on older techno/Eurotrance music

When I went with Emotiva I chose them over the Adam X series. Not sure if the Adam F series can touch them at their price point.

While a DAC isn't necessary. If you are playing HD music, I'd recommend one. If you want a big, high-precision gain control knob to put on your desk, Emotiva makes the Control Freak for $50. It will be in the Accessories or on the Emotiva Pro site where the Airmotiv speakers are.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #53 of 122 Old 06-12-2016, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. Somewhat entertaining.
I like the guy's sense of humor, but unfortunately this review isn't one of his better ones. To put it into context you probably need to watch the ones he did for the JBL 530 and 350's and maybe even the Vanatoos. Those were straight up raves. That's what he is referencing at the open here.

But a review is a review is a review. Sound is a lot more personal than video so ultimately no matter how many raves something gets, it's what the potential owner hears when he listens to them that is the only thing that really counts.

Really surprised they have had such a production bottleneck with the 6s. That's probably the reason they aren't doing a Dads & Grads sale right now.
Just for reference- when these were on sale in Dec/Jan, the 4s were $240, the 5s were $280, and the 6s were (IIRC) $400. Based on how I feel about the other two, I'd say the 6s were easily worth the non sale $500. But the sale price makes them a massive bargain if you can wait for the next one to roll around.

As far as DACs go- I have my speakers hooked up to an iPad that I use for jukebox duty. The built in DAC is pretty decent on it, as well as my mac mini. But I do notice an improvement when I use a Dragonfly. I wish the Micca Origen I had wasn't buggy as I loved having a volume knob on the DAC (and it was cheaper than the Dragonfly when I bought it). Unfortunately the Micca I had was popping so I had to send it back. At $100 though, it's definitely the one I would suggest trying out first.
post #54 of 122 Old 06-12-2016, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
[Raises Hand] Like ME. I'd definitely order the 6S direct from Emotiva. You'll be fine bass-wise with anything except EDM, Rap, and most electronica. Playing that kind of music is fine on the 6S but a sub adds that extra thump. Rock with heavy bass drum kicks will render just fine with just the 6S. If you listen to mostly bass-heavy music, then the SVS SB-2000 is a perfect match for the 6S. Where the Emotiva shines is with female vocals, like a lot of what is found on older techno/Eurotrance music

When I went with Emotiva I chose them over the Adam X series. Not sure if the Adam F series can touch them at their price point.

While a DAC isn't necessary. If you are playing HD music, I'd recommend one. If you want a big, high-precision gain control knob to put on your desk, Emotiva makes the Control Freak for $50. It will be in the Accessories or on the Emotiva Pro site where the Airmotiv speakers are.
Thanks.

I saw the Control Freak in the video posted above, but didn't know what it was, as the reviewer didn't directly address it. Now I know what that was, on his desk.

Also, not that I'm going to consider a sub right now, as I don't think I'll need one, but how do you connect both a sub and the monitors to the PC? I would have thought these Airmotiv 6s would have had some kind of sub out output. I guess looking at the SVS SB-2000, everything is centrally connected to the sub, then out to the monitors?
post #55 of 122 Old 06-12-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Thanks.

I saw the Control Freak in the video posted above, but didn't know what it was, as the reviewer didn't directly address it. Now I know what that was, on his desk.

Also, not that I'm going to consider a sub right now, as I don't think I'll need one, but how do you connect both a sub and the monitors to the PC? I would have thought these Airmotiv 6s would have had some kind of sub out output. I guess looking at the SVS SB-2000, everything is centrally connected to the sub, then out to the monitors?
There are two versions of the Control Freak, a digital one and analog one. Get the analog one if you are using the analog one on your computer or the digital one if you are using TosLink or S/PDIF.

Yes. The SVS has analog input with a built-in cross-over. You'd run analog to the sub then analog to the speakers and set the crossover to about 50 Hz on the SVS. Since I have the DC-1 DAC, I'm running a full-range signal to both the Airmotiv and SVS, BUT I keep the signal digital right up until it needs to be converted to analog for the speakers. I use XLR cables for the speakers and regular RCA to the sub. All outputs are active on the DC-1 so no signal-splitting required.

If your computer has a dedicated SUB output, then you can do it the same way. Most do these days, especially if you have a " gaming " motherboard, like Asus ROG, or a dedicated sound card.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #56 of 122 Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I emailed them again just to ask and make sure they weren't going to be discontinued.

Their response:

+++++++++++++

We will be getting more, just no eta as of yet. They are not discontinued.
I will put your name on the reserve list and email you when we receive a firm eta.
Thank you and we do apologize for the delay.

Update, a new response from them today:

+++++++++++++++

The ASM6s will be back in stock the first week of August. If you would like to purchase a pair, please let us know and we will be happy to take and order and hold until they arrive.

Thank you,
post #57 of 122 Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
That's nuts! Those things have been out of stock since at least April, maybe even earlier. They're also starting to beat the drum about the passives arriving soon. Their latest comments made is sound like it was only going to be couple more weeks for those, but now I wonder if those and the A6's will both show up on the same boat.

Hate to sound like a broken record but the more I hear, the more I appreciate what an incredible job they did with this line. I'm auditioning Sierra 2's in my HT, and while it's still pretty early in the process as well as the rooms being quite different, I can honestly say so far I'm not feeling that the Airmotivs are a disappointment at all in comparison for straight music listening. The differences in the rooms they are each in contributes a lot, I realize. But I also think the amps in these, along with the active crossovers, are making up for a lot.
I'm starting to have my doubts now that the passives will be nearly as good due to the vagaries of personal amplification that's going to be driving them.
post #58 of 122 Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan XM View Post
That's nuts! Those things have been out of stock since at least April, maybe even earlier. They're also starting to beat the drum about the passives arriving soon. Their latest comments made is sound like it was only going to be couple more weeks for those, but now I wonder if those and the A6's will both show up on the same boat.

Hate to sound like a broken record but the more I hear, the more I appreciate what an incredible job they did with this line. I'm auditioning Sierra 2's in my HT, and while it's still pretty early in the process as well as the rooms being quite different, I can honestly say so far I'm not feeling that the Airmotivs are a disappointment at all in comparison for straight music listening. The differences in the rooms they are each in contributes a lot, I realize. But I also think the amps in these, along with the active crossovers, are making up for a lot.
I'm starting to have my doubts now that the passives will be nearly as good due to the vagaries of personal amplification that's going to be driving them.
Do you mean due to the differences in room environment that people may have, with their passives?
post #59 of 122 Old 06-22-2016, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Do you mean due to the differences in room environment that people may have, with their passives?
No. I meant the differences in the electronics (amps/receivers ) that people will be using. Unlike most people here who would suggest allocating considerably more of your budget to the speakers rather than the electronics, I tend to think that you will just hobble otherwise good speakers by sending them less clean, lower power.
And good, clean power can cost money. Most people will likely devote that money to something with marketing bells and whistles when something that is more streamlined might offer them a much better end result as far as sheer sound quality.

With the direct powered speakers like these, all that is taken out of the equation. Emotiva is known for good quality amps and that's what you're getting in these (and not in the passives). There is also supposed to be a huge benefit to the crossovers being active and not passive. There is a video somewhere with Andrew Jones going over this.
All this is technical stuff, over my head, but I've heard the same things consistently over the years to put some stock into them.
post #60 of 122 Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

So you're saying in passives, the electronics inside them are more of an unknown quantity? Is that in general, and excluding certain brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page