What computer speakers to get? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 122 Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What computer speakers to get?

I am coming from a 1999 Microsoft Digital System 80 2.1 speaker set.

I moved last year to a house with hardwood floors, and I don't know if it's the floors, or if something happened during the move, but now the subwoofer rattles too much.

Here's a sample:





If someone could confirm whether the rattling is too much, and whether its the speakers themselves, that would be nice.



This past weekend, I tried removing the screws to the subwoofer, but after that, I couldn't open the subwoofer any further. I thought I might be able to open it up and further identify the source of the rattling.

I also tried placing a towel underneath it, but it didn't help.

The bass rattling problem doesn't just affect music though, I can be watching a normal non-music video, and it can sometimes sound bad.

So, I am looking at new computer speakers.

* I don't listen to music very often on my computer speakers. Usually I use a portable device and headphones.


* I was considering wireless, but have now dropped it. I don't plan to use it now, and I can get something like an Airport Express and connect my speakers to the network if I need to, afterward.


So, now I think the things I am considering are:

* Built-in DAC
* 2.1 system
* Optical connection.


How much of a factor would the optical connection from my computer make?

I don't mean to say that this is as equal as other factors, when determining the sound quality of speakers. Just wondering how much emphasis I should give this.


I am going to get 2, and compare them.



Some that I am considering are:


1) Bowers & Wilkins MM-1.

I have their P7 headphones, and I like them.

These look like they'll be good. Don't have wireless.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...-Speakers/MM-1

No, they don't have a subwoofer, but it might still sound ok.


2) Swan m50w


Don't have built-in DAC, nor optical.


http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443




Thank you.



I was also considering the KEF EGG, but because I'm not considering wireless as much anymore, have dropped it. Plus they have a 15% restocking fee.


I also think I have to try one 2.1 system with subwoofer, so if I try the Bowers and Wilkins, the next one has to be a 2.1.


I also considered the Definite Technology Incline. But again I think if I try # 1, next one has to be a 2.1 with subwoofer.
nuraman00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 122 Old 05-19-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yosh70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sask. Canada
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Yosh70 is offline  
post #3 of 122 Old 05-19-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wvu80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Virginia, US
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 376
You might want to check the ports to see if they are lose. That will cause your rattle.

I also had a bad rattle in my speakers with 12" woofers but only at a certain frequency. It turned out the dust cap (center of the woofer driver) had come loose on one side and I couldn't see it rattling with the naked eye. It was a very easy fix with some med glue.
wvu80 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
You might want to check the ports to see if they are lose. That will cause your rattle.

I also had a bad rattle in my speakers with 12" woofers but only at a certain frequency. It turned out the dust cap (center of the woofer driver) had come loose on one side and I couldn't see it rattling with the naked eye. It was a very easy fix with some med glue.
Thank you. Was your woofer something you could open up?

As I mentioned, after removing the screws on mine, I couldn't figure out how to open it up anymore.
nuraman00 is offline  
post #5 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
I am seriously thinking about ordering these for my computer:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-Pro...ywords=jbl+305

They look very promising. Then, also looking at these:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-system/1.html

Still others really like these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-...&skuId=9382232

Might want to consider these as well:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/mul...tics/m200mkiii

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision!

Cheers,

Phil
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #6 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for those threads. I started looking through some of them (haven't finished yet).

My budget doesn't seem to be the same as some of the recommendations in there, I am trying to stick to about $500 max per system.

I am also considering these features:

So, now I think the things I am considering are:

* Built-in DAC
* 2.1 system
* Optical connection.

I'd at least like a combination of 2 systems (that I will compare) that cover all 3 features.

If I go with the Bowers as one system, then the other should try to be a 2.1 with an optical connection (that I'd use from my PC).
nuraman00 is offline  
post #7 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Any reason why you need an optical DAC? USB DACs work great.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #8 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Any reason why you need an optical DAC? USB DACs work great.
I meant speakers with an optical input so I can use an optical connection from my PC to the speakers.

I am also trying to have the DAC built into the speakers, because I think I'd go crazy if I then had to do another comparison to see how I liked speakers with and without an external DAC.

I just want to go through this comparison of speakers once and be done with it.

This also helps simplify the setup.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback.
nuraman00 is offline  
post #9 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
I meant speakers with an optical input so I can use an optical connection from my PC to the speakers.
Yes. But do you need optical? Many DACs these days are USB. Unless you have some reason for needing optical over USB, I wouldn't restrict myself to that.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #10 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Paulidan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I auditioned the B&Ws back in Dec/January when I was upgrading my pre-2000 Altec Lansing computer speakers. I really liked the clean, minimalist aesthetic of them. They also put out a startlingly robust low end for how small they were- though that comes at the expense of other sonic attributes. Because my listening was going to be slanted much more heavily in favor of music (the only reason I was upgrading the A-L to begin with as they were still perfectly 100% fine for movie audio), I found the B&Ws didn't cut it and , in every area aside from bass, were trounced by the less beefy Airmotiv 4's I was also auditioning.
But- you say music is not going to be a priority for you here, so I think you should be perfectly happy with the MM1's. Other than sonic qualities in comparison to the less expensive internet direct brand, , the only real beef I had with them was the master/slave set up in that proprietary connection was shorter than I would have liked. I think it's 3'. Would have preferred 4' or 5' just to have more flexibility. OTOH, in comparison to what I ended up with, It was nice to only have one cord going to an outlet, and to have a very simple once cord chain from PC to speaker to speaker. Much neater, much cleaner in terms of living space.
I don't regret going the way I did, and I would have still take the Emotiva's over the B&W if the prices were reversed- but for some people I think the B&Ws are going to a much better solution.

BTW, the salesperson at the BB Magnolia special ordered the B&Ws for $350 claiming that was the "online price". I don't know how that happened as it was always straight $500 list everytime I checked online, but that's what I would have gotten them for. You may want to see if they will extend you the same deal. That was new in box too, not a return sample.
Paulidan is offline  
post #11 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wvu80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Virginia, US
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Thank you. Was your woofer something you could open up?

As I mentioned, after removing the screws on mine, I couldn't figure out how to open it up anymore.
No, no need to open it up.

This is the 12" woofer from my Klipsch CF-4 that was buzzing. The shiny cup in the center is the dust cap and has a small rim around it. It is glued to the cone. The dust cap was mostly tight but one fourth of the cap came unglued just enough to buzz at certain frequencies. It drove me nuts until I could isolate it. It was an easy fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4331.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	788.2 KB
ID:	1450674  
wvu80 is offline  
post #12 of 122 Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The MM-1s have quite audible hiss due to using an older DSP system compared to B&W's current Zeppelin and A series. It also has some pretty audible cabinet resonance. It's size is small and sleek and it looks nice, but compares poorly to even other speakers in size class. I've compared it directly with a Genelec 6010A (a speaker of similar size) and it's considerably worse in everything except bass extension and looks. It's also IMO inferior to the satellites in Klipsch's old iFi set (the RSX-3).

The best small speakers I've heard were the Harman GLA-55, and those things used to run a grand when they were in production. They still sell for about $400-600 used on ebay.
astrallite is offline  
post #13 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
No, no need to open it up.

This is the 12" woofer from my Klipsch CF-4 that was buzzing. The shiny cup in the center is the dust cap and has a small rim around it. It is glued to the cone. The dust cap was mostly tight but one fourth of the cap came unglued just enough to buzz at certain frequencies. It drove me nuts until I could isolate it. It was an easy fix.
Thank you! That picture helps explain what your problem was, and how you fixed it.
wvu80 likes this.
nuraman00 is offline  
post #14 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
I am seriously thinking about ordering these for my computer:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-Pro...ywords=jbl+305

They look very promising. Then, also looking at these:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-system/1.html

Still others really like these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-...&skuId=9382232

Might want to consider these as well:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/mul...tics/m200mkiii


Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision!

Cheers,

Phil
Why the m200mkIII over the m50W?

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/mul...acoustics/m50w

Are there certain things you think the former is better at?
nuraman00 is offline  
post #15 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post
The MM-1s have quite audible hiss due to using an older DSP system compared to B&W's current Zeppelin and A series. It also has some pretty audible cabinet resonance. It's size is small and sleek and it looks nice, but compares poorly to even other speakers in size class. I've compared it directly with a Genelec 6010A (a speaker of similar size) and it's considerably worse in everything except bass extension and looks. It's also IMO inferior to the satellites in Klipsch's old iFi set (the RSX-3).

The best small speakers I've heard were the Harman GLA-55, and those things used to run a grand when they were in production. They still sell for about $400-600 used on ebay.
Why were the MM-1's worse in everything except bass? I'd think the comparison would be the other way. I'd think if the MM-1 was to be worse at something, it would be bass.
nuraman00 is offline  
post #16 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Why the m200mkIII over the m50W?

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/mul...acoustics/m50w

Are there certain things you think the former is better at?
Nothing in particular. Just went to that page. There are actually many to choose from. But, personally I am looking more at the JBL 305's. Just was trying to give you several options to choose from. Really like what I have read about the 305's myself. Good luck in making your decision. Glad that you are being so thorough.

Cheers,

Phil
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #17 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Bobert01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I went with the Airmotiv 5S and couldn't be happier.

http://emotiva.com/products/powered-...rs/airmotiv-3b
Bobert01 is offline  
post #18 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert01 View Post
I went with the Airmotiv 5S and couldn't be happier.

http://emotiva.com/products/powered-...rs/airmotiv-3b
I was kind of looking at the 6S, but it's currently out of stock.
nuraman00 is offline  
post #19 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Nothing in particular. Just went to that page. There are actually many to choose from. But, personally I am looking more at the JBL 305's. Just was trying to give you several options to choose from. Really like what I have read about the 305's myself. Good luck in making your decision. Glad that you are being so thorough.

Cheers,

Phil
Are you going to use a DAC to connect to them? There's no way to connect to them directly via the PC, right?

I can't think of the right cable combination, even with an adapter, which would go from either a single RCA, USB, or optical, to a split TRS connection.

I'd like to have something that doesn't need a DAC, just in case that I wanted to use the DAC for something else, my computer speakers could still be connected.
nuraman00 is offline  
post #20 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
I was kind of looking at the 6S, but it's currently out of stock.
Found the 6s, but 14 day return policy, AND 15% restocking fee. Yikes.

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/returns-and-exchanges
nuraman00 is offline  
post #21 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
The Emotivas are excellent speakers. If you like what you're reading about them, you should go ahead and just order them and not worry about it. Just double-check the dimensions and make sure they will fit on your desk. LOL

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #22 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Are you going to use a DAC to connect to them? There's no way to connect to them directly via the PC, right?

I can't think of the right cable combination, even with an adapter, which would go from either a single RCA, USB, or optical, to a split TRS connection.

I'd like to have something that doesn't need a DAC, just in case that I wanted to use the DAC for something else, my computer speakers could still be connected.
Take a close look at this thread. It explains everything you need to know about the JBL 305's.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...-computer.html

If you go with the 305's you will need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-St...iglink20246-20

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 05-21-2016 at 05:26 PM.
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #23 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
The Emotivas are excellent speakers. If you like what you're reading about them, you should go ahead and just order them and not worry about it. Just double-check the dimensions and make sure they will fit on your desk. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Take a close look at this thread. It explains everything you need to know about the JBL 305's.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...-computer.html

If you go with the 305's you will need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-St...iglink20246-20

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Phil
Ok. The two speakers I will order for a comparison are:

1) JBL 308's.

+ These cables

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-St...iglink20246-20

Are the cables split far apart enough, so that if the speakers are 2 feet away from each other, they will be be able to go to each speaker, from the point of separation?

2) Emotiva Airmotiv 6s

I guess I'd use a 3.5mm cable to RCA to connect them.

Cables like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-C...ct_top?ie=UTF8

But, same question. Are they split at least 2 feet from each other?



Since the Airmotiv 6s from Hi Fi Heaven only has a 14 day policy, I will only order them when I'll be home for 14 consecutive days. So, I will probably wait until mid-June.

Also, I will just have to eat the 15% restocking fee if I return them.

Maybe by that time they'll be available directly from Emotiva, with their 30 day return policy.

It will also be a little difficult to have both sets of speakers side by side, so I can compare them, but I will do the best that I can. Wideness may be an issue.



Last thing. I just noticed neither of these sets has any kind of an output port. I was thinking that if I ever wanted to connect them to the home network, I could connect them to an Airport Express.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-AirPort-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

But, it looks like I can't?


I guess trying to get good quality speakers means I have to sacrifice some features, unless someone has one alternative which I could use to compare, which is as good as these speakers, but could be connected to a network in the future.
nuraman00 is offline  
post #24 of 122 Old 05-21-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Why were the MM-1's worse in everything except bass? I'd think the comparison would be the other way. I'd think if the MM-1 was to be worse at something, it would be bass.
I suspect Genelec uses superior components since the 6010 (also known as the 8010) is a professional mixing monitor, whereas the MM-1s are mainly a lifestyle product.

The other reason is when it is used in USB DAC Mode (aka not the minijack connection), the sound is EQed so the bass and treble are tilted up. This causes the MM-1s to output more bass than the 3" driver can reasonably produce without serious distortion.

The other reason the bass is bad is the enclosure is extremely hollow and tends to resonate when you have bass heavy material.
astrallite is offline  
post #25 of 122 Old 05-22-2016, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Ok. The two speakers I will order for a comparison are:

1) JBL 308's.

+ These cables

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-St...iglink20246-20

Are the cables split far apart enough, so that if the speakers are 2 feet away from each other, they will be be able to go to each speaker, from the point of separation?

2) Emotiva Airmotiv 6s

I guess I'd use a 3.5mm cable to RCA to connect them.

Cables like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-C...ct_top?ie=UTF8

But, same question. Are they split at least 2 feet from each other?




Since the Airmotiv 6s from Hi Fi Heaven only has a 14 day policy, I will only order them when I'll be home for 14 consecutive days. So, I will probably wait until mid-June.

Also, I will just have to eat the 15% restocking fee if I return them.

Maybe by that time they'll be available directly from Emotiva, with their 30 day return policy.

It will also be a little difficult to have both sets of speakers side by side, so I can compare them, but I will do the best that I can. Wideness may be an issue.



Last thing. I just noticed neither of these sets has any kind of an output port. I was thinking that if I ever wanted to connect them to the home network, I could connect them to an Airport Express.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-AirPort-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

But, it looks like I can't?


I guess trying to get good quality speakers means I have to sacrifice some features, unless someone has one alternative which I could use to compare, which is as good as these speakers, but could be connected to a network in the future.


Can someone confirm whether those cables are the right ones for the Airmotiv 6s? And do you think they will split 2-3 feet apart so I can connect them?

If not, can someone suggest the right cables to use?


Also, what does everyone think about the Audioengine 5+? How does it compare to the two above?

I see the frequency response isn't quite as good, but do you think it still compares well (sound)?



I read through this thread about the A5+. The OP has a similar setup to what I am looking at, except I won't have the subwoofer. I hope with whatever I get, I won't need it.



https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...pressions.html

If I have second thoughts about the potential 15% restocking fee for the Airmotiv 6s from Hi Fi Heaven, and if it's not available directly from them, maybe I will go with Audioengine as my 2nd comparison? Would that be a comparable tradeoff, or are is the Airmotiv 6s probably better?
nuraman00 is offline  
post #26 of 122 Old 05-22-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Audioengine speakers are good for the money, but they are not in the same league as these in my opinion.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #27 of 122 Old 05-22-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Ribbon tweeters do have very limited vertical dispersion, so I think for nearfield you are more likely to get a better sound with a traditional dome tweeter, unless you are able to get the tweeters to ear level.

Unlike home theater applications where you are sitting 8+ feet away from the speakers, it's very easy nearfield to be listening at 20+ degrees off-axis vertically.
astrallite is offline  
post #28 of 122 Old 05-22-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Paulidan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert01 View Post
I went with the Airmotiv 5S and couldn't be happier.

http://emotiva.com/products/powered-...rs/airmotiv-3b
What I have on my desk and am listening to right now. I was so impressed with the 4's, that I ordered the 5's the last day of the last sale, just in case. Had to know. Ended up keeping them both as each does some things better than the other- though I keep the 5's set up most of the time.

If I were interested in the Airmotivs, I would only buy them direct from Emotiva...unless I was buying them used from a private party for a good discount.
Wait till they are in stock and take the full 30 days (though you will likely only need a fraction of that to tell if they are right for you).

I also wouldn't be surprised to see these go on sale pretty soon. Fathers day or July 4th would be my guess for a time frame, but understand I'm just speculating. However when I was reading up on them back in December/January, I saw several people comment that Emotiva had sales frequently. Well, the last one ended in January so with only six months of the year left, it's a good bet they should have another one well before Black Friday.

As far as the JBL's go- I hear nothing but praise for them. But it's hard for me now though to imagine anything bettering the ribbon tweeter in these Emotiva speakers at this price point. It may not be a Raal, but it's still the most beguiling high end (and in the case of the 4, mid range) I've ever heard in an application like this (desktop/near field) at a price level like this (I paid $240 for the 4s, and $280 for the 5s, on sale). And if I could fit the 6s on my desk comfortably, I would be mighty tempted to order those.
These have completely transformed how I use my leisure time. I've used my projector 4 times this year when before I would use it about 4 times per week. Now I just want to sit here and listen to music.
Funny how good gear can alter your priorities.

Last edited by Paulidan; 05-22-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Paulidan is offline  
post #29 of 122 Old 05-27-2016, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post
What I have on my desk and am listening to right now. I was so impressed with the 4's, that I ordered the 5's the last day of the last sale, just in case. Had to know. Ended up keeping them both as each does some things better than the other- though I keep the 5's set up most of the time.

If I were interested in the Airmotivs, I would only buy them direct from Emotiva...unless I was buying them used from a private party for a good discount.
Wait till they are in stock and take the full 30 days (though you will likely only need a fraction of that to tell if they are right for you).

I also wouldn't be surprised to see these go on sale pretty soon. Fathers day or July 4th would be my guess for a time frame, but understand I'm just speculating. However when I was reading up on them back in December/January, I saw several people comment that Emotiva had sales frequently. Well, the last one ended in January so with only six months of the year left, it's a good bet they should have another one well before Black Friday.

As far as the JBL's go- I hear nothing but praise for them. But it's hard for me now though to imagine anything bettering the ribbon tweeter in these Emotiva speakers at this price point. It may not be a Raal, but it's still the most beguiling high end (and in the case of the 4, mid range) I've ever heard in an application like this (desktop/near field) at a price level like this (I paid $240 for the 4s, and $280 for the 5s, on sale). And if I could fit the 6s on my desk comfortably, I would be mighty tempted to order those.
These have completely transformed how I use my leisure time. I've used my projector 4 times this year when before I would use it about 4 times per week. Now I just want to sit here and listen to music.
Funny how good gear can alter your priorities.
Thanks. I'm going to email Emotiva and ask them when they think the 6s will be in stock again.

Agree I probably wouldn't need the full 30 days. But with only 14 days from Hi Fi Heaven, that would only guarantee me one weekend. Whereas with 30 days from Emotiva, I can have at least 2 full weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post
Ribbon tweeters do have very limited vertical dispersion, so I think for nearfield you are more likely to get a better sound with a traditional dome tweeter, unless you are able to get the tweeters to ear level.

Unlike home theater applications where you are sitting 8+ feet away from the speakers, it's very easy nearfield to be listening at 20+ degrees off-axis vertically.
Both of you, Paulidan, and astrallite, mention ribbon tweeters specifically.

Do you both agree with each others' comments?

Are there any more comments about ribbon tweeters specifically, and the impact they have?

What does the JBL have?

I couldn't find the info on their specifications page.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/r...s/lsr308#Specs
nuraman00 is offline  
post #30 of 122 Old 05-27-2016, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nuraman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What cables do you think I can use, with the Airmotiv 6s, that can be pulled 2-3 feet apart?
nuraman00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off