The Official JBL Professional Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 250Likes

post #1 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3922 Post(s)
Liked: 3603
The Official JBL Professional Thread

A place to discuss all things JBL Professional as they relate to home cinema.

There are quite a few owners of various JBL Pro products on threads spread throughout the forums, but no place dedicated to the discussion of JBL Pro speakers. I think it makes sense to separate the discussion of consumer gear from the professional gear since I have little interest in consumer gear and I think, in general, the consumer folks have little interest in professional gear(again, in general). From my experience on these forums, there is a different mindset and approach to audio between these groups.

The goal here is a neutral thread where the Cinema and Studio lines(and any others) can be discussed outside of individual model "Owners threads", so let's put the model wars to bed here. We're all JBL Pro owners and have in common the appreciation and enjoyment of the output, dynamics, and accuracy JBL Professional brings to the table, regardless of the particular model.
Reddig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #3 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Great idea and much appreciated.

I just hope everybody respects everybody else's speaker choices.

We all chose our speakers for a reason whether it be for price, looks or budget.

I LOVE my 4722's and can't imagine wanting anything else in my room...especially paired with the SCS8's.

But, I love the way the M2's look and would love to hear those some day.

My system is as follows:

3 x 4722N's
8 x SCS8's.

Looking forward to connecting with other JBL Pro owners on here.
LTD02, Gooddoc and Reddig like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 645
M2, 4367, 708, 4722 all very popular here on AVS but confusing.

Many opinions and comments.

Many rave about the M2 others praise the 4722.

Forum members have stated various comments about them all.. Examples (models omitted to reduce flaming):

Reference monitor,
Accurate, SPL, cost, pick two
Seating distance 6-40 meters (pretty wide parameter)
Designed for detail
Designed for output
Extreme price range
John Doe @ JBL says this
Jane Doe from Harmon says

To me the comparison and performance assessment is clear as mud.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #5 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Great idea and much appreciated.

I just hope everybody respects everybody else's speaker choices.

We all chose our speakers for a reason whether it be for price, looks or budget.

I LOVE my 4722's and can't imagine wanting anything else in my room...especially paired with the SCS8's.

But, I love the way the M2's look and would love to hear those some day.

My system is as follows:

3 x 4722N's
8 x SCS8's.

Looking forward to connecting with other JBL Pro owners on here.
+1. Everyone chooses a speaker for different reasons.

This is the JBL Professional FAMILY thread. It's all good
post #6 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
M2, 4367, 708, 4722 all very popular here on AVS but confusing.

Many opinions and comments.

Many rave about the M2 others praise the 4722.

Forum members have stated various comments about them all.. Examples (models omitted to reduce flaming):

Reference monitor,
Accurate, SPL, cost, pick two
Seating distance 6-40 meters (pretty wide parameter)
Designed for detail
Designed for output
Extreme price range
John Doe @ JBL says this
Jane Doe from Harmon says

To me the comparison and performance assessment is clear as mud.
There are a lot of different speakers in the JBL Professional FAMILY, with just about every one of them designed and/or tweaked for very specific niches. How any one of them translates to a consumer space requires a lot of very specific information regarding the speaker design, the space they're going into, and the goals of the listener. This can lead to confusing messages or even what seems to be conflicting information.

If there is something specific you want to find out, I'm sure it can be answered.
post #7 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Thanks for starting the thread Doc..
Gooddoc likes this.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Triad, Genelec,
Revel, JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG
post #8 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Subscribed! Proud owner of 3 - 4722s!!!
Gooddoc and Reddig like this.
post #9 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
Subscribed! Proud owner of 3 - 4722s!!!
Sweet! We have growing numbers of 4722, M2, 700 series, and 300 series owners. All with very similar goals, just getting there from different angles and with different priorities in many instances.

I started this thread because, for example, there was really no good place to pose the question,

Quote:
What is my best choice for home theater/music, the 4722, M2, or 708? And what should I use for surrounds? SCS8, SCS12, 705/708, 9320?
Now there is .
smit1001 likes this.
post #10 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Are there any 4722 owners, or with the smaller horns like the 7 or 3 series, using a phantom center in their system? Curious for impressions. I've been pretty happy with the M2's in phantom for some time now and I unfortunately just can't make a center work. But I really want one, lol, and periodically start trying to dream up ways to make one work in my situation. I'm in one of those periods. Not that I can't make it work, it's really just about managing compromises. What sucks is that I think I can get a pretty good deal on a center, but I just don't think it's going to work for me.

I guess misery loves company and just curious the experience of others in this situation.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 06-12-2016 at 07:51 PM.
post #11 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Happy to be a JBL pro owner. Running 3x M2s. Surrounds TBD, but so far Revel m105s are working out pretty nicely.
post #12 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Are there any 4722 owners, or with the smaller horns like the 7 or 3 series, using a phantom center in their system? Curious for impressions. I've been pretty happy with the M2's in phantom for some time now and I unfortunately just can't make a center work. But I really want one, lol, and periodically start trying to dream up ways to make one work in my situation. I'm in one of those periods. Not that I can't make it work, it's really just about managing compromises. What sucks is that I think I can get a pretty good deal on a center, but I just don't think it's going to work for me.

I guess misery loves company and just curious the experience of others in this situation.
Once you finally get one, you'll have to make a decision with Audyssey since you cannot bypass LCR, only L/R
post #13 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin_N View Post
Once you finally get one, you'll have to make a decision with Audyssey since you cannot bypass LCR, only L/R
Yeah. Dirac is definitely the way to go when I end up with a center. I've already figured that out. Hopefully, before I pull the trigger on a center miniDSP will have released some new products.
post #14 of 540 Old 06-12-2016, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp View Post
Happy to be a JBL pro owner. Running 3x M2s. Surrounds TBD, but so far Revel m105s are working out pretty nicely.
Yeah, I bet! The Revels aren't slouches, that's for sure. Depending on your room layout, there's a number of good choices for surrounds, including just keeping the Revels.
post #15 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

I have a pair of 3677 for fronts and 4x 8340A for surrounds. I used to have 3 as LCR but that keeps the image too high (I like to keep the image low, probably me eyes are just tired). The phantom is ok, but nothing beats a dedicated center behind an AT screen. I'm using an ambient-light-rejection screen setup in a totally white living room... so gotta compromise.
post #16 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My post was more of a comment and observation.

I would think the monitor products would be "accurate" (that is thier job) and that would be based on your seating distance (mine is 17' from the screen, though I have some seating as close as 5' in the living space but they are rarely used during movie watching).

The cinema product would play loud with different dispersion characteristics since that is thier job.

There just appears to be a lot of owners and resellers claiming many of the models I mentioned cross over in each space.

In my case size is s a factor. I can't have a 50" tall center. Many have said run the M2 and a phantom center while others say 3 X 708's. It just seems odd that 708 (18"x10"x12" would fair so well that far from the MLP.

Then there are owners of the lesser cost JBL that feel its marketing hype to keep a separation and distinction between the lines.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #17 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

I would think the monitor products would be "accurate" (that is thier job) and that would be based on your seating distance (mine is 17' from the screen, though I have some seating as close as 5' in the living space but they are rarely used during movie watching).

The cinema product would play loud with different dispersion characteristics since that is thier job.

There just appears to be a lot of owners and resellers claiming many of the models I mentioned cross over in each space.

In my case size is s a factor. I can't have a 50" tall center. Many have said run the M2 and a phantom center while others say 3 X 708's. It just seems odd that 708 (18"x10"x12" would fair so well that far from the MLP.

Then there are owners of the lesser cost JBL that feel its marketing hype to keep a separation and distinction between the lines.
Do you think the AM7215 will sound better than a 4722 ?
post #18 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:

I don't think the 708 will keep up at 17' distances if you listen at spirited levels. The M2 is the highest regarded assuming you have the budget for them. The 4722 will work too. I have (7) 4722's and my side surrounds are 5' from the closest seat on each side (again this is surround content, not front stage). If someone is sitting 5' from the front stage, that is too close.

I love the 4722, especially with the upgraded CD from the 3" to 4" aquaplased Ti diaphragm. The biggest negative to the 4722 is the size and appearance. They have zero WAF, big, and rather ugly.

Hopefully this took things from clear as mud to clear as pond water.

My home is always open to anyone wanting to demo prior to purchase - I am in San Antonio, TX.
LTD02 likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 06-16-2016 at 06:12 AM.
post #19 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Don't know. Actually this is the first I have heard about a AM7215. It looks impressive.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #20 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
Quote:

I ran a phantom on my LSR for my PC.

I had a $500 Logitech THX 5.1 system for speakers on PC and originally thought I'd just add the LSR for music - but they became so obviously superior to me I disconnected the Logitech THX and just used the LSR (with phantom). On my to do list is get a center (matching).

In a stagnant and perfect seat position the benefits of a center are smaller for money seat, the main benefit IMO is people outside the sweet spot and how others can enjoy the centered image too. It's a must have for a room that multiple people enjoy.
post #21 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Depends on application.

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/JBL_AM7215_26.v1.pdf

The XO is a bit high for a 15" woofer, and it shows in the directivity index where the woofer beaming is evident.

This is likely to keep cost down, spl and reliability and power handling up.

If that off axis isn't going to pose reflection problems (huge spaces, outdoors, and various PA applications) it should work well.

In a small small room you'd probably want something more accurate.

The m2 is same basic design but with accuracy as the priority, so it's a good example of the differences.

The 4722 is a cinema specific application design - it's excessively bright and focused on the top register to punch through the AT screen by design so man have complained about its sonic signature when not using it in the designed application. (Example not behind a screen and not far away LP). You can probably EQ out some of that too.

It's important to match application to speaker and maximize the appropriateness of the speaker you choose towards accomplishing your goals.

The 708 would likely sound "better" up to the point it doesn't. Unless you specifically want excessively loud capability it should work the best. Home reference level is 78db c weighed (+20db capability for peaks) - that's about 100db peaks. In a small or medium sized room that's loud. Many don't watch movies or listen to music that loud - especially for prolonged periods. The louder it is the less you want to tolerate or enjoy it for prolonged periods of time. You'll also appreciate better acoustics and higher speaker accuracy - lack of the "bad stuff" allows you to listen and enjoy louder without finding it as offensive.

Choosing a speaker is about matching your goals to the product. There is no right or wrong - just a shifting of priority. Some of that priority is in individual.
Ericglo likes this.
post #22 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3860
post #23 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked: 5669
Subbed

~JBL 308's in the shop
~JBL 4722 w/ 2453H-SL upgrade and 2225 bottoms

Quote:

That's how I will be running mine at least initially, but I am also going to toss in the SH69 and see how well they blend together. It's already there, so a little experimenting should be fun.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #24 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 919 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked: 3798
@Gooddoc tired of not having any friends in the 4722 thread? :-) as to your question about center, for a single seat, folks are pretty well split. some prefer the phantom center with one advantage being the sound appears to emanate from the appropriate height on the screen. others prefer the center channel setup even with the center under screen and even with a single center seating location. related, some folks like using height speakers and dialog "lift" to move the perceived dialog onto the screen while others can't stand it. with controlled directivity speakers toed-in, many folks find it difficult to even tell if the center is on or off. it may be that we are all wired a little differently and so are we may be hearing slightly different things and have slightly different preferences. guys like toole will tell you if you aren't running a center that you are doing it all wrong. :-) but there are enough folks with the other opinion who have performed a-b tests to put his perspective in question.

as far as the comment about pro vs. studio "accuracy", a distinction should be made because some aspects of accuracy (peaks and dips in the on-axis response that occur similarly in the off-axis response) can be fixed (with eq for example), while others such as power compression and harmonic distortion cannot. also some aspects that we can measure may not be as important to sound quality as some others that we don't yet have measurements for or don't commonly use as a basis for comparison.

for folks who may not be familiar with some of the jbl products, be careful judging across application lines.

one of the measurements is jbl's top-of-the-line passive studio series speaker (using all the latest horn technology and their best drivers) that runs about $15k per pair. the other is a dumptruck that uses average components from the "pro parts" bin and is designed to fill a professional cinema with sound, costs about 1/6th as much and will play much louder. smoothing may not be identical, but that is down to how close they are...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avb.png
Views:	6180
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1495505  
fill35U and Molon_Labe like this.

Listen. It's All Good.

Last edited by LTD02; 06-13-2016 at 12:19 PM.
post #25 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 919 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked: 3798
Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top.png
Views:	2580
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	1495513   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom.png
Views:	2530
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1495521  

Listen. It's All Good.
post #26 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@LTD02 - care to assign a model to those comparisons?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #27 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My bad. I C now using my good eye...

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #28 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the 4327 is a passive M2 in a nicer looking cabinet.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #29 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Has anybody heard the MD3?
post #30 of 540 Old 06-13-2016, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3860
Looks like the 4367 is also using the d2430k. I still think there are better options Especially at that price range

LTD02 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page