Klipsch Ultra KL-650-THX Vs PSA MTM-210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By RapalloAV
  • 1 Post By oneeyeblind
  • 1 Post By RapalloAV
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By tvuong

post #1 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Klipsch Ultra KL-650-THX Vs PSA MTM-210

Help please...

I currently have three Klipsch KL-650-THX up front and wonder if I replaced them with three PSA MTM-210 would I improve things?
I keep hearing so much about the MTM-210s even though they are cheaper than what I paid for the Klipsch.

There has to be an advantage moving from a ported with two 6.5" drivers to a sealed box with two 10" drivers, am I correct in say so?

If I do this change, what in words would I really expect to hear in difference between the two brands?

I have four SVS PB13Ultra subs so that area is well taken care of.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/thx-...ers#kl-650-thx

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210

Thanks in advance...
oneeyeblind likes this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Help please...

I currently have three Klipsch KL-650-THX up front and wonder if I replaced them with three PSA MTM-210 would I improve things?
I keep hearing so much about the MTM-210s even though they are cheaper than what I paid for the Klipsch.

There has to be an advantage moving from a ported with two 6.5" drivers to a sealed box with two 10" drivers, am I correct in say so?

If I do this change, what in words would I really expect to hear in difference between the two brands?

Thanks in advance...
Probably not much, but PSA offers a 30 day trial so the best thing would be to grab a set and hear for yourself. You might find it worth it or not but at least then you'll know for sure.

And if you like the PSA better you could probably sell your klipsch for a decent amount and offset some of the cost.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Probably not much, but PSA offers a 30 day trial so the best thing would be to grab a set and hear for yourself. You might find it worth it or not but at least then you'll know for sure.

And if you like the PSA better you could probably sell your klipsch for a decent amount and offset some of the cost.
Wish I could do that but I live in New Zealand and there is no one here who sells them.
I have to import them from Australia.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wish I could do that but I live in New Zealand and there is no one here who sells them.
I have to import them from Australia.
Don't know if would be worth the trouble. Is there anything lacking with your Klipsch?

The PSAs will have more mid-bass due to the much larger drivers. What crossover are you using? If you're using the standard 80hz I would suggest trying out 120hz. It made a difference in my setup (for the better) and another forum member that has the 210s recently went with 120hz and stated a positive experience.

The PB13U can easily play flat to 120hz and will have much more output than your Klipsch speakers in the 80-120hz range.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #5 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Don't know if would be worth the trouble. Is there anything lacking with your Klipsch?

The PSAs will have more mid-bass due to the much larger drivers. What crossover are you using? If you're using the standard 80hz I would suggest trying out 120hz. It made a difference in my setup (for the better) and another forum member that has the 210s recently went with 120hz and stated a positive experience.

The PB13U can easily play flat to 120hz and will have much more output than your Klipsch speakers in the 80-120hz range.

Yes I was wanting more mid bass/slam as I think the small 6.5" drivers from the Klipsch lack mid bass.
I have recently moved up to a 120Hz crossover on the three fronts and yes there is a real improvement, but not sure if slam is the thing its given me.

There is really nothing wrong with the system, but you always wonder???

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #6 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I was wanting more mid bass/slam as I think the small 6.5" drivers from the Klipsch lack mid bass.
I have recently moved up to a 120Hz crossover on the three fronts and yes there is a real improvement, but not sure if slam is the thing its given me.

I'm I'm the same situation. No free shipping for most products. It's doubtful I'll ever change my current speakers other than to possibly add another pc12+ in place of the super cube.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Help please...

Thanks in advance...

Sense you would be paying for shipping I'm not sure.

But I do know the PSA MT-210's are about 6db more sensitive than the Klipsch.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...7o1FthccfXi.97

Klipsch is known for over inflating their sensitivity numbers.

I've actually heard the klipsch in person several times. While the klipsch can get loud. I wouldn't pick them over the other ID options. At least not at the price they're asking for them. But again you're not going to get the PSA's with free shipping. Have you reached out to the australian dealer to see if you can work something out if you end up sending the psa back?

Are you going to sell the klipsch or are you using them in another system? If you have a chance to compare them before you sell one or the other that would be a great.
GIEGAR likes this.

ShaunH

Last edited by oneeyeblind; 06-14-2016 at 08:28 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
Sense you would be paying for shipping I'm not sure.

But I do know the PSA MT-210's are about 6db more sensitive than the Klipsch.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...7o1FthccfXi.97

Klipsch is known for over inflating their sensitivity numbers.

I"ve actually heard the klipsch in person several times while they can get loud. I wouldn't pick them over the other ID options. At least not at the price they're asking for them. But again you're not going to get the PSA's with free shipping. Have you reached out to the australian dealer to see if you can work something out if you end up sending the psa back?

Are you going to sell the klipsch or are you using them in another system? If you have a chance to compare them before you sell one or the other that would be a great.
The Australian distributer wouldn't take them back and the shipping to NZ is approx. $500.00 + 15% GST when landed. They would cost me approx. $4600.00NZD including the NZ GST, if they weren't a huge improvement they would cost too much to ship back.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #9 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Australian distributer wouldn't take them back and the shipping to NZ is approx. $500.00 + 15% GST when landed. They would cost me approx. $4600.00NZD including the NZ GST, if they weren't a huge improvement they would cost too much to ship back.
Hmm that's a lot in shipping. Do have anyone who would buy the klipsch to help knock some of the cost down?

ShaunH
post #10 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm that's a lot in shipping. Do have anyone who would buy the klipsch to help knock some of the cost down?

I have no ne in mind and they might be hard to sell as they really need to go in behind an AT screen as they arnt that pretty.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #11 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no ne in mind and they might be hard to sell as they really need to go in behind an AT screen as they arnt that pretty.
Hmmm, well as much as I think the PSA MT-210s are better. I don't think you should change it out unless you're okay with the cost. That's what it will likely come down to.

ShaunH
post #12 of 18 Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm, well as much as I think the PSA MT-210s are better. I don't think you should change it out unless you're okay with the cost. That's what it will likely come down to.
I add REL subs to LCR with my Klipsch La Scalas to balance out their bass response. Connected via Neutrik cable, then set LCR to full range on the MX 160, then re ran RoomPerfect. Sounds great. Don't ditch your Klipsch!!!!
post #13 of 18 Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
Quote:
The prices we pay for audio gear down this way is disgraceful isn't it Murray?

Quote:

If you're after more midbass slam, I wonder if it's worth a visit to a pro outfit like Mix Foundation to see if they'll haul out a pair of their QSC K12's for you to listen to? They might even let you take a pair home

This EASE data for the K12's was posted previously and indicates a very well engineered speaker:

The member who posted the measurements (here) said: "They all look great.". The plot shows the tightly controlled directivity of the horn (nominal -6db @ 75º conical) and how it transitions smoothly to the 12" woofer's coverage.

Somewhat pricer than the PSA's, but there'll be no lack of slam and unrestrained dynamics, you'll have an idea what you're in for sound-wise, and with the addition of a couple of K8's for surrounds, you'll be able to sell off an XPA-5.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
The prices we pay for audio gear down this way is disgraceful isn't it Murray?

If you're after more midbass slam, I wonder if it's worth a visit to a pro outfit like Mix Foundation to see if they'll haul out a pair of their QSC K12's for you to listen to? They might even let you take a pair home

This EASE data for the K12's was posted previously and indicates a very well engineered speaker:

The member who posted the measurements (here) said: "They all look great.". The plot shows the tightly controlled directivity of the horn (nominal -6db @ 75º conical) and how it transitions smoothly to the 12" woofer's coverage.

Somewhat pricer than the PSA's, but there'll be no lack of slam and unrestrained dynamics, you'll have an idea what you're in for sound-wise, and with the addition of a couple of K8's for surrounds, you'll be able to sell off an XPA-5.
I hear the K12s are great but expensive. Maybe for three fronts they might give me a discount.

I don't have the XPA 5s now up until last week. Have changed to the McIntosh MX160 and two 7 channel Mc8027s, everything is amazing, just don't know if these fronts are up to the rest of the gear now?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #15 of 18 Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
Quote:
I hear the K12s are great but expensive. Maybe for three fronts they might give me a discount.
No harm in asking.

Quote:
I don't have the XPA 5s now up until last week. Have changed to the McIntosh MX160 and two 7 channel Mc8027s, everything is amazing, just don't know if these fronts are up to the rest of the gear now?
Haha... just like me to be suggesting active speakers within a week of Macs arriving.

Out of interest, have you seen the new Modular MX series from Krix?

Adelaide Speakers/Ascension also makes "high power" cinema speakers using a large format Fountek ribbon tweeter rather than a horn.

Both companies are based in Adelaide, South Australia and would be worth a visit next time you're over this way.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6360 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
If it's mid-bass slam your after, check out the Behringer EUROLIVE B1200D ($300US). Not sure if it's available in NZ, but the shipping has got to be way less than a new set of PSAs.

By all reports, it's a monster with the "slam factor", as long as you can get it directly behind your seating.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...-response.html
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-15-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
If it's mid-bass slam your after, check out the Behringer EUROLIVE B1200D ($300US). Not sure if it's available in NZ, but the shipping has got to be way less than a new set of PSAs.

By all reports, it's a monster with the "slam factor", as long as you can get it directly behind your seating.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...-response.html

Sorry but cant get anything behind seating.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #18 of 18 Old 06-15-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
^^ you have a very nice theater. If you have room behind that AT screen, I suggest you to get 3 JBL 4722's. They are much better than the psa210. The 4722 is a bargain.
GIEGAR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page