floorstanders for budget 2k ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 06-18-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5002 Post(s)
Liked: 3020
A little over budget, but have you tried these?

GoldenEar Triton Three+ Towers?

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 06-18-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Yea depending on what you like for $2k, which like I said is kinda a crowded price range, the Revel F36 and the Dynaudio Emit 30 and Monitor Audio Silver 8 are very nice speakers. The revels are a little more forward but I also felt the midbass was slightly overdone making it not as balanced as I'd prefer but you may prefer that. The Emit 30 has good strong bass and I feel is more balanced giving the mids more presence. The highs however are smoother and may sound more laidback in comparison. Monitor Audios Silver 8 has good bass and good balance, the highs will be delicate closer to the Dyns but with a higher sensitivity and a metal dome will sound a little sharper. The MAs may be perfect for you but you should try to check out all 3.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #33 of 47 Old 06-21-2016, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 195
great... too much forums ... Salk, the new Song3 (its not out in the wild yet) but at 3000 ... i'm sure there's still other options, yikes internet sure makes things more complicated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 06-21-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
great... too much forums ... Salk, the new Song3 (its not out in the wild yet) but at 3000 ... i'm sure there's still other options, yikes internet sure makes things more complicated
The Philharmonic Slims (post #7) will come very close (or slightly different) for a little less.
x-overs probably also designed by Dennis Murphy.
post #35 of 47 Old 06-21-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I would look at both the Sierra towers and the SVS Ultra Towers. Both would be right around your budget, and if you could spare an extra $700 you could add the RAAL tweeter to the Sierra's.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #36 of 47 Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Are you trying the speakers in your home? There are a number of companies who are generous with shipping both ways. One company to consider would be Aperion Audio. They have a few floorstanding speakers to choose from and have great reviews on the web.
post #37 of 47 Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBarra View Post
Are you trying the speakers in your home? There are a number of companies who are generous with shipping both ways. One company to consider would be Aperion Audio. They have a few floorstanding speakers to choose from and have great reviews on the web.
Visit SalkSound.com. Take a close look at the soundtowers. I've had mine for 5 and a half years and believe they are the best bang for
the buck in audio today.
post #38 of 47 Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5616 View Post
Visit SalkSound.com. Take a close look at the soundtowers. I've had mine for 5 and a half years and believe they are the best bang for
the buck in audio today.
wow.. if it's the SoundScape series that you're referring to those are pretty pricey.. the Song series seem to be more budget friendly although I would have to adjust to the look.. How's the depth?
post #39 of 47 Old 06-23-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can always buy used or demo'ed products to save money and get more expensive speakers at a decent to great price. you can always get Def Techs with the integrated subs.
post #40 of 47 Old 06-24-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercain View Post
You can always buy used or demo'ed products to save money and get more expensive speakers at a decent to great price. you can always get Def Techs with the integrated subs.
My mistake on the Salk model that is by far the best bang for the buck (IMHO) is the SongTowers. With an MSRP of $2000.00 I think
they are an absolute steal.
post #41 of 47 Old 08-13-2016, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

after deep thoughts about kids punching 2-3k speaker woofers... i got the klipsch rp280 ... tried on 2 AVRs onkyo & marantz 1506(keeper because of size) (both without eq/room correction) ... found them clear, not boomy, and no shriekiness, theres plenty of bass, maybe low end heavy. they dont reach the lows as my previous 2 PSA subs but will have to do for now.
post #42 of 47 Old 08-13-2016, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9185 Post(s)
Liked: 7046
Quote:
after deep thoughts about kids punching 2-3k speaker woofers... i got the klipsch rp280 ... tried on 2 AVRs onkyo & marantz 1506(keeper because of size) (both without eq/room correction) ... found them clear, not boomy, and no shriekiness, theres plenty of bass, maybe low end heavy. they dont reach the lows as my previous 2 PSA subs but will have to do for now.
Good for you, I wouldn't mind checking out this new RP series sometime myself.

It sounds like your experience is very different from this person's:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B00S2N4E1I

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #43 of 47 Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 131
post #44 of 47 Old 08-13-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
I recently auditioned the RP-280F with my cousin. We also heard the $3,000 Paradigm Prestige 75's and the PSB Imagine T. Of those, the Klipsch RP280F is definitely the cheapest at $1200 a pair.

He went home with the PSB. The Paradigm would be the choice if they were under $2K, but they weren't. The PSB's list for $2,200 these days, but he got the floor demo models for a LOT cheaper than that, approaching the cost of the Klipsch.

The biggest differences were in bass and soundstage. The RP-280F presented good bass and a room filling soundstage. The PSB was much more defined, while at the same time it seemed to project the soundstage out into the middle of the room and forward of the speakers. With the Klipsch. the music was clearly emanating from the speakers and was a touch on the bright side. Perhaps that horn tweeter is what prevents the sound from "separating" itself from the speakers in the way that the PSB does.

Oddly enough, because my cousin is upgrading from Klipsch R-24F that are rather stark, he was hoping the PSB tweeters would sound a little brighter in his home. They sounded quite a bit so when hooked up with the Nordost Puple Flair speaker cables the shop gave him to also test. When we switched back to his Monster Cable speaker wire, that was the first time I've ever heard speaker wire make a difference. Wow. He's now got a set of speaker cables I made him, I'm waiting to hear what he thinks. Yes, he needs some room treatment because the PSB's sound quite a bit different in his rrom than they did at the dealer. That was to be expected. What he is getting is that great soundstage, and incredible midrange with details he's never heard in his music before. And he is playing louder than ever before because there's no breakup distortion that his previous speakers gave if pushed.

Enjoy your RP-280F. they're good. I do hope they're as good in your room as you expected.
chomdh likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, E.A.T. C-Major TT w/Ortofon Quintet Blue cart.
post #45 of 47 Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
It sounds like your experience is very different from this person's:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B00S2N4E1I
no bad impression yet with my usual movie listening levels, and i have bad acoustics now - lots of reflection/echo ... i used to get headache from listening >2h in my previous HT with Ascends 340se
post #46 of 47 Old 08-14-2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10108 Post(s)
Liked: 7105
Quote:
no bad impression yet with my usual movie listening levels, and i have bad acoustics now - lots of reflection/echo ... i used to get headache from listening >2h in my previous HT with Ascends 340se
Glad you are enjoying your speakers.

Klipsch takes a great bashing around here while the Ascends are said to "walk on water."

Things, of course, are never quite that simple in something as subjective as sound signature.

Enjoy.
bulls likes this.
post #47 of 47 Old 08-14-2016, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9185 Post(s)
Liked: 7046
Quote:
Wow, I *really* need to go listen to these RP series then...maybe the buzz about Klipsch finally addressing the previous model line's treble issues are true after all!

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page