Confused with Floorstanding speakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 06-21-2016, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirajchokshi View Post
Okay so now ive added as per the image, is it correct how ive added?
Yep.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 06-21-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 06-21-2016, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
The Bose 301 isn't all that bad compared to their little sat/bass module setups. A friend of mine has one of the first models of the 301 and he loves them, I've listened to music and movies with him and they're okay but I'm used to better setups. I recently picked up a pair of the JBL Studio 590s and like them quite a bit, particularly for the money ($900/pr delivered). Are you going to get a subwoofer?
post #33 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Yep.

Okay i will not take your more time, but one more query. Till now ive visited 3 retailers, 1st retailer had Polk audio RTIa7. which he hooked up with 7.1 Marantz avr. now as i needed to buy only fronts, ive asked him to play for stereo source. He had flac media. Ive asked him to play them without woofers, and bass came out moderate, no powerful enough. Though he had disabled sub from receiver, only active was 2 speakers.

Yesterday ive visited 2 retailers both had JBL, one of them played it on Marantz Stereo amp, and the bass was exceptional, and same speakers in Harman AVR at second retail shop, didnt gave that much power.

What could be the issue, i mean does the bass goes lower in AVR. and in stereo amp it doesnt process bass as another channel, and no crossover config in stereo amp? Why drastic difference?

Because i am buying Klipsch r28 over r26 as they have bigger bass drivers, with target of both Movies and music. and not gonna buy another stereo amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
The Bose 301 isn't all that bad compared to their little sat/bass module setups. A friend of mine has one of the first models of the 301 and he loves them, I've listened to music and movies with him and they're okay but I'm used to better setups. I recently picked up a pair of the JBL Studio 590s and like them quite a bit, particularly for the money ($900/pr delivered). Are you going to get a subwoofer?
No i didnt mean they were bad, i found them good pair in compare of others in same price range. They have good mids, high and speacially 8" woofers, so if we buy them for stereo setup they will work just fine in budget. I have tried them personally as well, since i bought them now !!!. but i have been using towers for more then 10 years, it didnt help me forget them, thats all.

JBL was really good, i am going to get sub as well. Retailer actually gave me discount of 20%. in all studio line. Now if i compare with price both JBL Studio 280 /290 and Klipsch R26 /R28 are same cost in india. So i am going to hear klipsch today and see how it turns out.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #35 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
No i didnt mean they were bad, i found them good pair in compare of others in same price range. They have good mids, high and speacially 8" woofers, so if we buy them for stereo setup they will work just fine in budget. I have tried them personally as well, since i bought them now !!!. but i have been using towers for more then 10 years, it didnt help me forget them, thats all.

JBL was really good, i am going to get sub as well. Retailer actually gave me discount of 20%. in all studio line. Now if i compare with price both JBL Studio 280 /290 and Klipsch R26 /R28 are same cost in india. So i am going to hear klipsch today and see how it turns out.
You bought the 301s? What towers have you been using for 10 years? If you're getting a sub why are you pursuing towers particularly?
post #36 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You bought the 301s? What towers have you been using for 10 years? If you're getting a sub why are you pursuing towers particularly?
I had yamaha ns 8900. with yamaha sub as well. 301s are going to be in surrounds, not as front. And towers because i have not liked bookshelf in movies, they didnt gave feeling of live playback, or just in general i dont know the word, but i felt bookshelf missing something. Am i wrong? i dont know but thats how i felt.
post #37 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Okay i will not take your more time, but one more query. Till now ive visited 3 retailers, 1st retailer had Polk audio RTIa7. which he hooked up with 7.1 Marantz avr. now as i needed to buy only fronts, ive asked him to play for stereo source. He had flac media. Ive asked him to play them without woofers, and bass came out moderate, no powerful enough. Though he had disabled sub from receiver, only active was 2 speakers.

Yesterday ive visited 2 retailers both had JBL, one of them played it on Marantz Stereo amp, and the bass was exceptional, and same speakers in Harman AVR at second retail shop, didnt gave that much power.

What could be the issue, i mean does the bass goes lower in AVR. and in stereo amp it doesnt process bass as another channel, and no crossover config in stereo amp? Why drastic difference?

Because i am buying Klipsch r28 over r26 as they have bigger bass drivers, with target of both Movies and music. and not gonna buy another stereo amp.
You're fine. I've never used a 2 channel stereo amp. I've always had AV receivers but a good stereo amp could be the reason the bass from the speakers sounded better as most AVR's use some form of bass mgmt. that a stereo amp doesn't. Not very familiar with Harmon AV receivers as they are pretty niche but it's possible that might have been part of the reason. I'm running my new speakers (still have my Klipsch's but I recently got new Chane towers as well) full range without my subwoofer on my 10 plus year old Denon and the bass is great. Maybe someone else with more stereo amp experience can weight in as well.
nirajchokshi likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #38 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I had yamaha ns 8900. with yamaha sub as well. 301s are going to be in surrounds, not as front. And towers because i have not liked bookshelf in movies, they didnt gave feeling of live playback, or just in general i dont know the word, but i felt bookshelf missing something. Am i wrong? i dont know but thats how i felt.
Bookshelf with sub can be quite good IME (had been using Ascend Sierra-1s previous to inserting the 590s as L/R). What sub(s) did you use with the bookshelfs? I have pretty good setup with multiple subs which I think helps, particularly for movies. Were those room dimensions you mention in meters or feet? Good luck with the Klipsch audition.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #39 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bookshelf with sub can be quite good IME (had been using Ascend Sierra-1s previous to inserting the 590s as L/R). What sub(s) did you use with the bookshelfs? I have pretty good setup with multiple subs which I think helps, particularly for movies. Were those room dimensions you mention in meters or feet? Good luck with the Klipsch audition.
Ive used same yamaha sub, i dont remember the model make, but that one is old. I am going to buy new sub as well, i liked the JBL studio series 10inch sub yesterday, was really good.
The dimensions are in feet.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #40 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Ive used same yamaha sub, i dont remember the model make, but that one is old. I am going to buy new sub as well, i liked the JBL studio series 10inch sub yesterday, was really good.
I was apparently thinking of madmax's dimensions....yours say feet 8 ft ceilings? So about 1800 cuft? Sealed room or open to others?
Madmax67 likes this.
post #41 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was apparently thinking of madmax's dimensions....yours say feet 8 ft ceilings? So about 1800 cuft? Sealed room or open to others?
yes 8feet, i have false ceiling. And its an open room not dedicated theater room.
post #42 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
yes 8feet, i have false ceiling. And its an open room not dedicated theater room.
False ceiling isn't something I'm familiar with, does it have acoustic properties? Open room means you need more subwoofage than a sealed room would need as subs "see" the whole space available to them, unlike your speakers focused on your listening position. Might want a larger sub than a 10".
Madmax67 likes this.
post #43 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7144 Post(s)
Liked: 5451
Quote:
If you are near Delhi, there is one SVS dealer in India:
http://www.acoustic-arts.com/contact-us/
Their subs will destroy anything made by JBL or (especially) Yamaha and allow you to be perfectly happy with bookshelf speakers over floorstanders, in my opinion.
Madmax67 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #44 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 671
I have a confession to make. I... have Bose 201s for my surround speakers. They work pretty well for me because a) as surrounds they don't get that much of a signal; b) I'm about to have an amazing sub for LFE; c) they almost act like bi/dipole speakers; and d) I got them really cheap.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #45 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I personally don't like Polks or Klipsch. I have had them also had auditions and they are too bright for me. I really like Monitor Audio and Silver 6s are my mains. Look for MA, Focal, Sonus, or PSB etc (just personal opinion).

If you are in India check HiFiVision forum. Its a good forum and you can get lot of info, directions etc from the guys there.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by JaytheDreamer; 06-22-2016 at 11:10 AM.
post #46 of 58 Old 06-22-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Quoted: 5480 Post(s)
Liked: 10450
Hi,

I concur with several pieces of advice you have gotten. First, either the JBL or the Klipsch speakers should be absolutely fine with your Marantz, so just pick the one you like better. When the same speakers sound markedly different at one dealer compared to another, I suspect differences in the two rooms (or possibly in the settings engaged), before I suspect differences in the amplifiers themselves.

Second, I would also encourage you to look at SVS subs rather than either JBL or Klipsch subs. A good 12" sub from someone like SVS would probably make you very happy. (But you still don't have to give up your floorstanders, if you don't want to. I like tower speakers, too.)

I'm glad you are getting to audition things for yourself. That is certainly better than having to rely entirely on reviews, and we all have different listening preferences.

Regards,
Mike
nirajchokshi and Madmax67 like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #47 of 58 Old 06-23-2016, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all, so i have auditioned Klipsch, Jamo, yesterday.
Now i am in another confusion after listening.
Ive heard RP250, R26, KF28, RP280. Now sale guy told me that KF 28 has same sound quality as R28F, is it correct?

I found them bit sharp and bass drivers didnt sound as tight as new RP280. Then he said that as they are KF28, actual R28, will be little more improved. RP260 will go little over budget. So little unfortunate that i didnt get to hear actual R28.

Now in india the cost of them is about

RP250 = $890 and
R28 = $1038
RP260 = $1261

I am going for one more retailer he has Dali Zensor 7, he said they are about the same price as klipsch.
post #48 of 58 Old 06-23-2016, 05:01 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Hello all, so i have auditioned Klipsch, Jamo, yesterday.
Now i am in another confusion after listening.
Ive heard RP250, R26, KF28, RP280. Now sale guy told me that KF 28 has same sound quality as R28F, is it correct?

I found them bit sharp and bass drivers didnt sound as tight as new RP280. Then he said that as they are KF28, actual R28, will be little more improved. RP260 will go little over budget. So little unfortunate that i didnt get to hear actual R28.

Now in india the cost of them is about

RP250 = $890 and
R28 = $1038
RP260 = $1261

I am going for one more retailer he has Dali Zensor 7, he said they are about the same price as klipsch.
Part of what makes speaker shopping difficult is the sales people who tell us conflicting, or incorrect things, but who seem to do it with perfect confidence. I think that you should trust your own hearing on what you like, and not worry too much about what they tell you. In theory, as you keep moving up in price, within a particular speaker line, you may reach better levels of performance. But that may mean chasing prices that are higher than you can afford, and it still may not leave you with something you really like.

The Dali speakers have a soft dome tweeter, and should sound a little less sharp than the particular Klipsch model you didn't like as much. That will give you three different (or at least slightly different) types of speakers to choose from: JBL, Klipsch, and Dali. If you aren't sure which of the three speaker lines you like best, then try to rule out the one you like least. Then with only two to choose from, you might try to audition both of them again to make a final decision. You are looking for something you can enjoy for a long time, so try to narrow your choices to the best two speakers, and do lengthy auditions with a variety of music.
nirajchokshi and Madmax67 like this.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #49 of 58 Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well we always want everything in our budget. We look for best quality in budget. though we know we get what we pay. But still these things happen.

I liked sound of RP250 but their cone size is about 5.5inch, but due to new type of cone and tweeter they sounded overall sweet. While R28 i found to be more like theater sound performance, in terms of voice, but bit of sharp but loud and good base due to 8" drivers. Now i am concerned is i had Yamaha NS8900, with 6.5 inch woofers but there was not enough performance. So i am bit leaning towards R28. Ill see if Dali makes mind change.
post #50 of 58 Old 06-23-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Well we always want everything in our budget. We look for best quality in budget. though we know we get what we pay. But still these things happen.

I liked sound of RP250 but their cone size is about 5.5inch, but due to new type of cone and tweeter they sounded overall sweet. While R28 i found to be more like theater sound performance, in terms of voice, but bit of sharp but loud and good base due to 8" drivers. Now i am concerned is i had Yamaha NS8900, with 6.5 inch woofers but there was not enough performance. So i am bit leaning towards R28. Ill see if Dali makes mind change.
With a good amplifier (which you have) in a fairly small room (which you have), I don't think that performance, in terms of volume, is going to be an issue. That will particularly be true when you add a good subwoofer to your system to augment the bass. Still, I understand why you might want the larger 8" drivers. I know the Dali's have 8" drivers, but I can't remember whether the JBL's did or not.

The only thing that worries me about what you are saying is your description of the R28 as being a bit sharp. According to what I have read on the forum, some people love the sound of those speakers from the first, and go right on loving them. But people who characterize their sound as being "sharp" or "bright" seem to experience a higher rate of listener fatigue. I have heard some people say that they love the sound, but can't listen to the speakers for very long at a time. That's where a lengthy audition can help.

Sometimes, the best speaker for you may not be the one that jumps out at you right away. It may be the one that does everything pretty well, and doesn't tire you out if you listen to it for extended periods. I have no idea what speaker you will ultimately choose, and no personal preference for what you choose. But, based on what I am hearing you say, I thought I should interject a note of caution.

post #51 of 58 Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
With a good amplifier (which you have) in a fairly small room (which you have), I don't think that performance, in terms of volume, is going to be an issue. That will particularly be true when you add a good subwoofer to your system to augment the bass. Still, I understand why you might want the larger 8" drivers. I know the Dali's have 8" drivers, but I can't remember whether the JBL's did or not.

The only thing that worries me about what you are saying is your description of the R28 as being a bit sharp. According to what I have read on the forum, some people love the sound of those speakers from the first, and go right on loving them. But people who characterize their sound as being "sharp" or "bright" seem to experience a higher rate of listener fatigue. I have heard some people say that they love the sound, but can't listen to the speakers for very long at a time. That's where a lengthy audition can help.

Sometimes, the best speaker for you may not be the one that jumps out at you right away. It may be the one that does everything pretty well, and doesn't tire you out if you listen to it for extended periods. I have no idea what speaker you will ultimately choose, and no personal preference for what you choose. But, based on what I am hearing you say, I thought I should interject a note of caution.
JBL does have 8" drivers in Studio 290. But 280 i didnt like, i like R28F over them they were all over in room. Thats why i finally told i might final them, if dali fails. Also at klipsch and JBL ive asked both of them to give me demo of only 2 channel with 2 channel amp. and at Klipsch he had open room just like i have my house. so gave good understanding.

Bit sharp in sense of more clear, i mean crisp sound, when we hear words like "S", smaller notes of whisper in very quite songs. Plus i had downloaded OST of mad max "Blood bag" i played in both, which if full of drums. and thats why i said 28 gives more of cinematic and dynamic tones, while 250, 260 softer tone. Anyways as i said currently 70% is R28F. in my buying pref. 30% open mind for Dali Lets see
mthomas47 and Madmax67 like this.
post #52 of 58 Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Guys little more confused . Ive saw an advertisement on one of the Indian av forum, he wants to sell his RF-62 Full speaker set with Tower+surrounds+sub. In same price as i am getting new R-28F.

Now ive checked their config, RF62, they are having identical configs / design as RP260. Has anyone heard RF62? How are they? And as they are identical config & design, are they as good as RF62?

Also i know that RP is the latest reference speakers. But Is RF62 are earlier series or R26?
post #53 of 58 Old 06-25-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Guys little more confused . Ive saw an advertisement on one of the Indian av forum, he wants to sell his RF-62 Full speaker set with Tower+surrounds+sub. In same price as i am getting new R-28F.

Now ive checked their config, RF62, they are having identical configs / design as RP260. Has anyone heard RF62? How are they? And as they are identical config & design, are they as good as RF62?

Also i know that RP is the latest reference speakers. But Is RF62 are earlier series or R26?

I don't know the Klipsch lines as well as some of the other posters, but I checked the dimensions and specs on the R-28F versus the
RF-62, and the only difference that I can see is the 8" woofers versus the 6.5" woofers. If you have decided on the Klipsch speakers, that might be an awfully good buy. I am very skeptical that there would be any appreciable/audible difference in sound between the two, regardless of which one is more recent. FWIW, I think that some of the speaker companies make very modest (mostly cosmetic) changes to speakers, and then relabel them, so that they will always have something "new" to entice potential customers. Auto makers, of course, do the same thing.

post #54 of 58 Old 06-26-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 671
They should be much, much, much better than the R-series. I would purchase that RF-series if you can...
nirajchokshi likes this.
post #55 of 58 Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
They should be much, much, much better than the R-series. I would purchase that RF-series if you can...
Hay yes, I am going to visit them. The guy said the set is 3 years uses. Does that make any difference in sound quality? He wants to sell his full R62 ii speaker set (front, rear, centr and woofer) same price as I am getting new pair of R28f so I'm eager to see his full set. And little skeptical about getting them in so cheap.

He said that, the speakers are in demo room of HT room. So I'm also little worried that, they might have used on more loud volumes on regular times, does that makes any difference in durability?
post #56 of 58 Old 06-26-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Hay yes, I am going to visit them. The guy said the set is 3 years uses. Does that make any difference in sound quality? He wants to sell his full R62 ii speaker set (front, rear, centr and woofer) same price as I am getting new pair of R28f so I'm eager to see his full set. And little skeptical about getting them in so cheap.

He said that, the speakers are in demo room of HT room. So I'm also little worried that, they might have used on more loud volumes on regular times, does that makes any difference in durability?

Playing a speaker loud at times won't hurt it. When you demo the speakers, turn the volume up pretty loud yourself while listening for any distortion. And check to make sure that the same sound is coming out of all the speakers. You can damage speakers by over-driving them, but the speakers should then exhibit some indications of that (buzzing, distortion, reduced volume).

I think it's always a good idea to be careful when buying used speakers, but I have bought quite a few used speakers over the years, and it's actually very rare to find a lemon. You can get some very good deals on very good speakers that way. Just listen carefully, just as you would if they were brand new, and you were auditioning them in the showroom.
Madmax67, sigpig and nirajchokshi like this.

post #57 of 58 Old 06-28-2016, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Okay guys finally search ended, I've purchased full set of Klipsch RF62. Includes Towers,center, rear, sub.
They are in excellent conditions, I'll soon post pic as well.

Older Yamaha sub didn't have more options of gain and frequency, this new one is beast for me. We have here SW112.

Now what is gain? Is it same as volume? And the frequency? How much should I keep, in sub and also in receiver?

And yes thanks to all of you, making process lot easier. Really appreciate it.
Madmax67 and mthomas47 like this.
post #58 of 58 Old 06-30-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Okay guys finally search ended, I've purchased full set of Klipsch RF62. Includes Towers,center, rear, sub.
They are in excellent conditions, I'll soon post pic as well.

Older Yamaha sub didn't have more options of gain and frequency, this new one is beast for me. We have here SW112.

Now what is gain? Is it same as volume? And the frequency? How much should I keep, in sub and also in receiver?

And yes thanks to all of you, making process lot easier. Really appreciate it.

I'm glad it worked out well for you! It sounds as if you got a really good buy on some speakers you will enjoy. In general, you should probably start with crossovers for all of the channels of at least 80Hz. When you run a calibration, your AVR may set some of the speakers to "Large" or "Full Range", but to start with just set them all to "Small" with at least an 80Hz crossover. Don't set any crossovers lower than where your AVR set them. Later, once you are very familiar with the sound, you can experiment with slightly lower crossovers for the tower speakers if you like. But again, keep them as Small, and don't set crossovers lower that where your AVR originally put them.

The gain control on your sub is not exactly the same as a volume control, but it does control the power to the sub's amplifier. Start with a gain setting that will let your AVR set your sub trim in negative numbers--say about -6 or -8. Then, after calibration, you can increase your sub trim in your AVR by a few decibels if you like, but stay below 0.0. Changing your sub volume only in your AVR makes it much easier to keep track of exactly how much additional volume you are adding.

That should get you started, and you very welcome for any help!
lovinthehd and dsrussell like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page