AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Confused with Floorstanding speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2488281-confused-floorstanding-speakers.html)

nirajchokshi 06-18-2016 09:30 AM

Confused with Floorstanding speakers

Hello friends,
I need little suggestions in buying mid budget speakers, not in highest range.
I am currently having Marantz SR5008, and was having Yamaha NS8900, now i am looking for replacement of them. my current room size is 14ftx16ft.

I have auditioned Polk audio RTi7, which is i think top range in my budget. I havent had chance to listen Polk Tsx 550. but the retailer said they are almost same in sound quality. and 550 is bit cheaper then RTi7. If anyone has any experience in them?

Near my residence i dont have much retailers to listen speakers, so i am relaying on amazon reviews. I saw so many reviews of Pioneer FS22, ultrabudget speakers. But are they really as good as amazon reviews? My concerns is is FS22 will give good results as Polk RTi7s? I dont say like 100% same but any reviews will help.

Friends i cant think of more speaker models in between budget from Pioneer FS22 to Polk RTi7. so appreciate your reviews.

Thank you.

Shpongle DMT 06-18-2016 10:03 AM

SVS Prime Towers. 499 each and they offer a 45 day in home trial.

http://www.svsound.com/products/prime-tower

Zorba922 06-18-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44822537)
I have auditioned Polk audio RTi7, which is i think top range in my budget. I havent had chance to listen Polk Tsx 550. but the retailer said they are almost same in sound quality. and 550 is bit cheaper then RTi7. If anyone has any experience in them?

Near my residence i dont have much retailers to listen speakers, so i am relaying on amazon reviews. I saw so many reviews of Pioneer FS22, ultrabudget speakers. But are they really as good as amazon reviews? My concerns is is FS22 will give good results as Polk RTi7s? I dont say like 100% same but any reviews will help.

The retailer is an idiot...the TSX is a big step down from the RTi series, they will be quite bright. Some people find the RTi a little bit on the bright side already.

The Pioneer FS22 is actually the opposite sound signature, it's nice and warm and great for music listening. Just avoid getting the "matching" Pioneer center speaker if you want decent voice clarity.

There are actually many good quality choices from internet-direct speaker companies that are in between the price range of the RTi and Pioneer speakers. Are you in the US? What is your maximum overall budget?

gene c353 06-18-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44822537)
Hello friends,
I need little suggestions in buying mid budget speakers, not in highest range.
I am currently having Marantz SR5008, and was having Yamaha NS8900, now i am looking for replacement of them. my current room size is 14ftx16ft.

Friends i cant think of more speaker models in between budget from Pioneer FS22 to Polk RTi7. so appreciate your reviews.

Thank you.

RTiA's should be much, much better then the Pioneers. As they should be since they cost 3 times as much. I currently have a 5.0 set of the Pioneers and a pair of the older RTi4's. The RTi4's are very much better speakers imo. The Pioneers are great for $100/pr but the tweeters are very soft and the cabinet very thin. The RTi4's are a bit bright as Zorba mentioned. I believe the newer RTiA series has been toned down just a bit though.

Check Polk's ebay store. They have the refurbished RTiA7's for $349 shipped with 5% off if you buy more then one.

Also consider Ascend Acoustics.com and Aperion Audio.com as well as Wharfedale (although I don't care for them quite as much as Zorba does :) ) and JBL L880 and/or L890, if you can find them...and at a reasonable price. I have a pair of Studio L880's that will be on my local CL (SF) one of these days for $395/pr or so.

alan0354 06-18-2016 11:14 AM

This is just my opinion only. I always look at the bottom models of the top end speakers I can afford. I always look on ebay. There are JM Lab Focal, Sonus Faber etc. That are below $1000. It is my believe that the ones that design the really high end speakers know better and even they scheme down the quality, they still have the know how.

To me, Polk is more the low-mid speaker, you can pay a lot for their high end models, but I doubt they compare to the cheapest JM Lab. I remember I audition a pair of Sonus Faber (Concertino, I think) that was about $1100 in the late 90s, they sounded so so good, different league than Polk, Kef etc. You can get decent one used on ebay for way less than $1000. I was more impressed than even the Kef Ref3 at the time. The Ref3 costed like more than twice. I have two pairs of Kef. To me, Kef is still better than Polk.

Also you can find Magnapan planar speakers less than $1000 on ebay if you are into that kind of speakers.

That's the only my two favorite brands. I am sure other people have different suggestions. Bottom line, go for the lowest model of the highest brand you can afford.

Iron Maiden 06-18-2016 11:33 AM

Monitor Audio Silver series. I've sold a lot of these and they are fantastic for the $$$. They have won more awards than I can count. Serious quality for the coin.

Energy RC-70's if you can find them.

Also, the new Emotiva Air-Motiv speakers look like they will be really nice for the money. Ribbon tweeters and really nice looking cabinets.

nirajchokshi 06-18-2016 12:34 PM

Thanks guys for clearing thoughts, now I'm going through eBay, I found klipsch R26 & R28 in discounted prices R26 is same price as polk's rtia7, while R260 and R280 is totally out of my budget. But how much they are different in sound quality from new and old klipsch reference series, also Are they better then Rtia7?

alan0354 06-18-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44825801)
But how much they are different in sound quality from new and old klipsch reference series

that's a very good question. I love to hear other's opinion also on top end older model.

I am not a speaker designer, but I design power amp and studied a lot of amps. The top end models really have not improve much if any since the 80s. The improvements are mainly on the low end models. I studied and communicated with the author of the two most popular power amp text books, the circuit has not improved since way back to the 70s. Most part on the money is on the chassis AKA heatsink and transformer and the big capacitors. That do not change with time.

Speakers are electro-mechanical device, I doubt it has a lot of room to grow and improve. You can find used speakers for half price, you can get a lot better speaker for the money.

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JM-Labs-Foca...0AAOSwbYZXYzgs

Go to Craig's list and go listen to the speakers in your area. This is so subjective. Klipsh is not my taste, the horn tweeter just doesn't do it for me. But that's just me.

nirajchokshi 06-18-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan0354 (Post 44826233)
that's a very good question. I love to hear other's opinion also on top end older model.

I am not a speaker designer, but I design power amp and studied a lot of amps. The top end models really have not improve much if any since the 80s. The improvements are mainly on the low end models. I studied and communicated with the author of the two most popular power amp text books, the circuit has not improved since way back to the 70s. Most part on the money is on the chassis AKA heatsink and transformer and the big capacitors. That do not change with time.

Speakers are electro-mechanical device, I doubt it has a lot of room to grow and improve. You can find used speakers for half price, you can get a lot better speaker for the money.

Go to Craig's list and go listen to the speakers in your area. This is so subjective. Klipsh is not my taste, the horn tweeter just doesn't do it for me. But that's just me.

Yes Bcoz in Klipsch r26 old and rf260 there is approx 30-40% difference, but if the sound isn't much difference in old and new, no point to pay higher.

alan0354 06-18-2016 04:08 PM

Another brand worth looking into:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilki...YAAOSw6btXSvSX

You'll be surprised how low the price some of the high end brand speakers are on ebay. the three brands I mentioned have their higher models in 10s of thousands a pair.

They have owners brand thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ads-brand.html

read B & W, Sonus Fabers and JM Lab Focal. Just because you don't want to pay much doesn't mean you have to aim low.

nirajchokshi 06-18-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan0354 (Post 44828977)
Another brand worth looking into:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilki...YAAOSw6btXSvSX

You'll be surprised how low the price some of the high end brand speakers are on ebay. the three brands I mentioned have their higher models in 10s of thousands a pair.

They have owners brand thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ads-brand.html

read B & W, Sonus Fabers and JM Lab Focal. Just because you don't want to pay much doesn't mean you have to aim low.

Okay i am sorry guys i should have mentioned I am india. So have limited option in sort of brands. All popular brands here, but not way to listen them. Blindly following amazon and AV review forums.

I am finally upto Polk RTIa7, or Klipsch R26 as they are i think same rate. While R28 little higher. If i dont find anything with frustration i might just buy cheaper Pioneer FS22 :confused:. So totally gone blank with choices.

Madmax67 06-19-2016 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44833177)
Okay i am sorry guys i should have mentioned I am india. So have limited option in sort of brands. All popular brands here, but not way to listen them. Blindly following amazon and AV review forums.

I am finally upto Polk RTIa7, or Klipsch R26 as they are i think same rate. While R28 little higher. If i dont find anything with frustration i might just buy cheaper Pioneer FS22 :confused:. So totally gone blank with choices.

I actually own a pair of Klipsch R-26F's . They are really good sounding speakers for the money(got mine for a 50% off store sale) but Klipsch's are bright sounding but I like the highs on them and they are very sensitive speakers so it doesn't take a lot of power to drive them. The RP260F's are the newer true referance line with cerametallic drivers and a larger tractrix horn with a rubberized surround too lessen the bright highs a bit. I've never heard these newer speakers by I've talked to a rep from Klipsch that owned the RP280F's and he said they sounded wonderful(of course he works for Klipsch) but that the R26-F's would sound very similar unless at very high volumes.

Don't know whether that's true or not but that's what he told me on the phone. Not sure what the exchange rate is or the market for Klipsch in India but I payed about $175 or so a piece for my Klipsch's on sale a couple of years ago. They sound really good watching movies by the way. That's what they were designed for and they do it very well for the money. Hope this helps and good luck.

nirajchokshi 06-19-2016 03:52 AM

@Madmax67 thanks for helping me out. Really appreciated. My room size is 14ftx16ft. So I guess R-28 will be over size?
In India prices are really crazy, what costs in US, you have to multiply that cost to x2.
But in general R26 will be good and enough choice right? They costs same as Polk RtiA7.

mthomas47 06-19-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44834697)
@Madmax67 thanks for helping me out. Really appreciated. My room size is 14ftx16ft. So I guess R-28 will be over size?
In India prices are really crazy, what costs in US, you have to multiply that cost to x2.
But in general R26 will be good and enough choice right? They costs same as Polk RtiA7.

Hi,

It must be frustrating not being able to audition the speakers you are considering. I don't know what the policies are like in India, but hopefully you would be able to exchange new speakers that you just didn't like. If you are considering the R26, I don't think that the R28 would be too big for your room. The only real difference that I see is that the R28 has 8" woofers instead of the 6.5" woofers in the R26. I would consider the slightly larger woofer an advantage.

But either one should work well for you. If you can buy the preferred Klipsch, and try it for a few days, you will find out for sure how well it works for you. If it helps, even if you could audition speakers in stores near you, it wouldn't tell you everything you want to know. Speakers will always sound a little different, anyway, depending on the room. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Mike

nirajchokshi 06-19-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthomas47 (Post 44835873)
Hi,

It must be frustrating not being able to audition the speakers you are considering. I don't know what the policies are like in India, but hopefully you would be able to exchange new speakers that you just didn't like. If you are considering the R26, I don't think that the R28 would be too big for your room. The only real difference that I see is that the R28 has 8" woofers instead of the 6.5" woofers in the R26. I would consider the slightly larger woofer an advantage.

But either one should work well for you. If you can buy the preferred Klipsch, and try it for a few days, you will find out for sure how well it works for you. If it helps, even if you could audition speakers in stores near you, it wouldn't tell you everything you want to know. Speakers will always sound a little different, anyway, depending on the room. Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike. yes its a bit frustrating, that i wanna buy good speakers and i am unable to listen them. they cost like 4x higher then what i was using. so even at home everyone is like stunned, with my liking:eek: when they hear that im buying speakers only worth of $1400, without auditions, and ive asked amazon, they denied of exchange. replacement only if damaged.

But i found one guy in one of the indian av forum, and ive asked him same question as i asked here, He in my city, Ive met him, he is actually engineer and he is providing cinema consulting and calibration services to small cinemas. He told me that in theaters, they use Horn based speakers, so if i am choosing klipsch, it will be good for movies and will give good experience in audio as well,. and he said older JBL had very good speakers, now that they are made in china so the quality gone dull.

He actually made home theater in one of the clients, he said he is using there Bose 301 as front channels , side channels and 201 for the back channels. monitor audio's bx center. He said they are the best performers in that home theaters as per his experience, in terms of affordability and performance. Is it true? I saw 301 pics online, they are rated 150 wats from 4-8 ohms. 8inch woofer and 1 tweeter and 1 mid behind. I am going tomorrow to his clients to listen how they are sound. I am still not liking much as i didnt liked bose products. But he was sounding bit serious about it. So i am hoping something good.

Zorba922 06-19-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44836817)
he said he is using there Bose 301 as front channels , side channels and 201 for the back channels. monitor audio's bx center. He said they are the best performers in that home theaters as per his experience, in terms of affordability and performance. Is it true? I saw 301 pics online, they are rated 150 wats from 4-8 ohms. 8inch woofer and 1 tweeter and 1 mid behind. I am going tomorrow to his clients to listen how they are sound. I am still not liking much as i didnt liked bose products. But he was sounding bit serious about it. So i am hoping something good.

Hahahahahahaha, he either has had EXTREMELY limited experienced with "good" speakers if he thinks Bose is "the best performer," or he's just trying to sell you his highest-profit-margin product. I would trust him as far as I could throw him. (Meaning, not at all.)

If you have no other options in India, definitely go with a JBL or Klipsch speaker over Bose. JBL is probably a safer choice than Klipsch, though Klipsch's new Reference Premiere series is supposedly a big improvement over their previous entry/mid level lines. Monitor Audio and PSB if you can find them will probably be better choices though.

nirajchokshi 06-19-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorba922 (Post 44837625)
Hahahahahahaha, he either has had EXTREMELY limited experienced with "good" speakers if he thinks Bose is "the best performer," or he's just trying to sell you his highest-profit-margin product. I would trust him as far as I could throw him. (Meaning, not at all.)

If you have no other options in India, definitely go with a JBL or Klipsch speaker over Bose. JBL is probably a safer choice than Klipsch, though Klipsch's new Reference Premiere series is supposedly a big improvement over their previous entry/mid level lines. Monitor Audio and PSB if you can find them will probably be better choices though.

Hahaha yes that could be possible, I'll still go and see as he was very pushy. And see if he is actually capable as he was claiming on his visiting card lol.

Anyway I found JBL studio 280 in jbl India website. Are they good? We have store in my city so, hoping to see then if they are available.

But any views on JBL studio 280 vs Klipsch r26f. As their prices are about same here in India.

mthomas47 06-19-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44838041)
Hahaha yes that could be possible, I'll still go and see as he was very pushy. And see if he is actually capable as he was claiming on his visiting card lol.

Anyway I found JBL studio 280 in jbl India website. Are they good? We have store in my city so, hoping to see then if they are available.

But any views on JBL studio 280 vs Klipsch r26f. As their prices are about same here in India.

Hi,

I don't think there is any harm in going to listen to the Bose speakers. But when you say that he was very pushy, that should be a warning in itself. It is hard to know who to listen to on this subject sometimes, but FWIW, there are a lot of professional theater designers and consultants who post on AVS, and I don't think you will find many (any?) of them recommending Bose. :p

It's not that Bose speakers are terrible, it's just that there are so many other speakers that offer much better performance for the money. I had a pair of Bose speakers as part of my desktop system at one point. Again, they weren't terrible--just not very good either. When I upgraded, I gave them to my daughter for her laptop. She was glad to get free speakers. But, if you are buying speakers, there are much better choices for both HT and music. Any of the others you are considering should be better, as Zorba said, so don't let yourself be pressured by that fellow pushing Bose.

To answer your last question, I would probably lean toward the JBL Studio 280 over the Klipsch, but that is just one opinion. The Klipsch speakers would be capable of more sheer volume, and if you were in a bigger room, that might be a factor. But for your room size, I would pick the JBL speakers first.

Regards,
Mike

nirajchokshi 06-19-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthomas47 (Post 44839889)
Hi,

I don't think there is any harm in going to listen to the Bose speakers. But when you say that he was very pushy, that should be a warning in itself. It is hard to know who to listen to on this subject sometimes, but FWIW, there are a lot of professional theater designers and consultants who post on AVS, and I don't think you will find many (any?) of them recommending Bose. :p

It's not that Bose speakers are terrible, it's just that there are so many other speakers that offer much better performance for the money. I had a pair of Bose speakers as part of my desktop system at one point. Again, they weren't terrible--just not very good either. When I upgraded, I gave them to my daughter for her laptop. She was glad to get free speakers. But, if you are buying speakers, there are much better choices for both HT and music. Any of the others you are considering should be better, as Zorba said, so don't let yourself be pressured by that fellow pushing Bose.

To answer your last question, I would probably lean toward the JBL Studio 280 over the Klipsch, but that is just one opinion. The Klipsch speakers would be capable of more sheer volume, and if you were in a bigger room, that might be a factor. But for your room size, I would pick the JBL speakers first.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks Mike for really honest reviews. I will definitely update forum after seeing bose ;)and Ill see if i can get demo of JBL Studio 280 in store., but i didnt find any reviews of Studio 280. not popular much??

pase22 06-19-2016 10:57 AM

I preferred JBL over Klipsch for the Music genre I listen to[ Pink Floyd, Tool etc...]. The Klipsch R26 that I listened to maybe better qualty speakers than the Loft50 but the sound just didn't work for me. My vote is for Jbl, though it's just personal preference.

nirajchokshi 06-19-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pase22 (Post 44840361)
I preferred JBL over Klipsch for the Music genre I listen to[ Pink Floyd, Tool etc...]. The Klipsch R26 that I listened to maybe better qualty speakers than the Loft50 but the sound just didn't work for me. My vote is for Jbl, though it's just personal preference.

Thanks pase22. but honestly i didnt find any reviews of Studio 280 , 290, only 2-3 reviews in Amazon.com usa website. its strange.

mthomas47 06-19-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44840097)
Thanks Mike for really honest reviews. I will definitely update forum after seeing bose ;)and Ill see if i can get demo of JBL Studio 280 in store., but i didnt find any reviews of Studio 280. not popular much??

You are very welcome! I don't have any personal experience with the JBL speakers, but I would expect them to be a fairly well-balanced speaker in terms of overall sound. They may be too relatively new to have attracted a lot of attention and reviews yet, but I did find this one:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/s...eakers-review/

Madmax67 06-19-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44834697)

I can't really say anything better than @mthomas47 just did so I'll just say I echo everything he said in his post. The "too big" statement to me would only apply if they physically wouldn't fit in your space placement wise in your front soundstage but either should work well. My space is 13.7x 10.4 x7.6.

EDIT: and I like JBL as well for home theater but you're cinema expert had me until he suggested Bose over the other 2. Respectfully, that's a joke.

Zorba922 06-19-2016 12:41 PM

Yeah, JBL over Klipsch in my opinion. The 280 is the tower version of the 230, which you may be able to find more reviews of online...the 230s are said to be quite loud and good for HT.

nirajchokshi 06-21-2016 10:51 PM

guys fortunately ive found klipsch store near my city, I wanted to ask you all, will Klipsch R28F work well my marantz 5008? Ive called klipsch retailer near my city, i am going to visit him tomorrow for demo. He said Marantz may not be able to handle well 28F, as speakers are 150 watts. while Marantz rated at 100 watt 8 ohms.

Madmax67 06-21-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44895538)
guys fortunately ive found klipsch store near my city, I wanted to ask you all, will Klipsch R28F work well my marantz 5008? Ive called klipsch retailer near my city, i am going to visit him tomorrow for demo. He said Marantz may not be able to handle well 28F, as speakers are 150 watts. while Marantz rated at 100 watt 8 ohms.

Respectfully , he doesn't know what the Hell he is talking about. Klipsch horned speakers are one of the easiest speakers for any amp/receiver to drive. Even with taking about 4 dB off their sensitivity rating for Klipsch giving their in room measurements they are still well above 90dB sensitivity with 1 watt at 1 meter. Add the second speaker and add 6dB. Double the watts to 2 and add 3 dB. You're already approaching painful levels and it's only taking 2 watts. Get the point? I have the R26-F's and my 10 plus year old 100 watt Denon receiver powers them fine all day long and twice on Sunday's. You're fine.

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations on finding a local place you can demo them. Good job. Bring some of your own music if you can.

Madmax67 06-21-2016 11:12 PM

@nirajchokshi here is a good chart for calculating a speakers SPL in room.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

nirajchokshi 06-21-2016 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmax67 (Post 44895658)
Respectfully , he doesn't know what the Hell he is talking about. Klipsch horned speakers are one of the easiest speakers for any amp/receiver to drive. Even with taking about 4 dB off their sensitivity rating for Klipsch giving their in room measurements they are still well above 90dB sensitivity with 1 watt at 1 meter. Add the second speaker and add 6dB. Double the watts to 2 and add 3 dB. You're already approaching painful levels and it's only taking 2 watts. Get the point? I have the R26-F's and my 10 plus year old 100 watt Denon receiver powers them fine all day long and twice on Sunday's. You're fine.

Thanks, you and Zorba saved my day..

Actually yesterday i searched lot, and found JBL retailer, and auditioned them. I liked JBL. Now Since ive talked to you all, I am taking half day and going to klipsch retailer today, and see how they goes.
One more thing as i was saying i have also heard those Bose 301. Actually they are nice, i mean, if we comparing bookshelfs within same budget. He had 2 more pairs, a year old. I wanted to replace my surrounds, and since Bose 301 are designed like bipolar. I ve bought and attached them as side and back surround. They are running very well.

I have tried with front as well to see effect, as he was wrong if he says they are excellent. I mean they cant be compared to Tower in any way.

nirajchokshi 06-21-2016 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmax67 (Post 44895714)
@nirajchokshi here is a good chart for calculating a speakers SPL in room.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Okay so now ive added as per the image, is it correct how ive added?

Madmax67 06-21-2016 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirajchokshi (Post 44895762)
Thanks, you and Zorba saved my day..

Well thank you but he's a very smart guy. I'm just trying to play catch up to what many here know more than me but what I do know is Klipsch and their sound.

[quote/] Actually yesterday i searched lot, and found JBL retailer, and auditioned them. I liked JBL. [/quote]

I like JBL as well.

[quote/] Now Since ive talked to you all, I am taking half day and going to klipsch retailer today, and see how they goes. [/quote]

Good. Least you'll have a good comparison.

[quote/] One more thing as i was saying i have also heard those Bose 301. Actually they are nice, i mean, if we comparing bookshelfs within same budget. He had 2 more pairs, a year old. I wanted to replace my surrounds, and since Bose 301 are designed like bipolar. I ve bought and attached them as side and back surround. They are running very well. [/quote]

Good to hear that. Yeah surrounds is all I'd use them for.

[quote/] I have tried with front as well to see effect, as he was wrong if he says they are excellent. I mean they cant be compared to Tower in any way.[/quote]

Yeah, that's where that guys credibility gets lost with me. Bose cannot compare to any well built tower speaker in today's market. That's just crazy.