Speaker stands - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Speaker stands

I am still in the beginning of my research for my new system. I currently have a lower end Polk tower, center and surrounds. My issue if I had two large dogs, great dane and south african mastiff. One my speakers is constantly knocked over by these giants. Right now I attached ascent 340's due a lot for their stand that can be filled with a considerable amount of weight. Plus I like towers and they give the look. However I am open to bookshelves but need to heavy heavy stands to keep things in check and upright. Considering placing them on my entertained center but will yield less than ideal sonic results. Thanks folks. Price around Acscend but maybe a touch more as a lot of similar reviews are a bit cheaper being short a worker. I have a considerably sub no base isn't a concern. Fully a HT system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I am still in the beginning of my research for my new system. I currently have a lower end Polk tower, center and surrounds. My issue if I had two large dogs, great dane and south african mastiff. One my speakers is constantly knocked over by these giants. Right now I attached ascent 340's due a lot for their stand that can be filled with a considerable amount of weight. Plus I like towers and they give the look. However I am open to bookshelves but need to heavy heavy stands to keep things in check and upright. Considering placing them on my entertained center but will yield less than ideal sonic results. Thanks folks. Price around Acscend but maybe a touch more as a lot of similar reviews are a bit cheaper being short a worker. I have a considerably sub no base isn't a concern. Fully a HT system.
Yeah, those are rather large dogs. Honestly, I recommend that you stay with towers. However if you are still looking for stands, then I highly recommend these:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/spe...cs-accessories

I actually own these myself. Here are a few pics for you to see. I actually had the Taylos sitting on top of my HiVi stands and the weigh in at 38 lbs. each. The only problem was the top plate is a bit too thin for such a load. Made me a little nervous with the Taylos. However, they work perfect for my JBL 530's!

Cheers,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0305.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1529721   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0314.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	1529729   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0324.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1529737   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0330.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	1529745   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0325.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	1529753  

Name:	SAM_0365.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	1529761   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0396.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	1529769   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0392.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	1529777   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0384.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	1529785   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0388.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	1529793  

post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the response and those are lovely stands but at 38lbs just isn't going to do it. Loading 140lbs into stands seems in theory better that a tower. Price point is attractive as well. Looking at many other speakers but it will be much later in the summer before that decision is made, just want to start narrowing down my research to towers or bookshelves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I appreciate the response and those are lovely stands but at 38lbs just isn't going to do it. Loading 140lbs into stands seems in theory better that a tower. Price point is attractive as well. Looking at many other speakers but it will be much later in the summer before that decision is made, just want to start narrowing down my research to towers or bookshelves.
The stands are really not designed for heavy-duty purposes. The limit comes from the top plate being rather thin. YOU might want to look at these then:

http://tyleracoustics.com/stands.html

Scroll down the page to the Model 1 stands. These go for $400 a set! Have seen them in person and they look even better than my HiVi stands. They are also MUCH heavier and can be filled w/sand as well. Just thought that I would mention it. Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil
post #5 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
The stands are really not designed for heavy-duty purposes. The limit comes from the top plate being rather thin. YOU might want to look at these then:

http://tyleracoustics.com/stands.html

Scroll down the page to the Model 1 stands. These go for $400 a set! Have seen them in person and they look even better than my HiVi stands. They are also MUCH heavier and can be filled w/sand as well. Just thought that I would mention it. Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks again, a little pricey but something than can be filled with sand, buckshot, etc. is essential for what it is worth. My cheapo Polks already have bents from being knock over. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the choke point. Would be so bad if the Great Date was still a 7 month old pup, attitude and energy of a puppy but weight 100lbs.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what I am working with. 24" from sectional to speaker. Current speaker is 7" wide. Mastiff hind end is 12" wide. As you can see it gets narrower as the dogs do around the couch. (Sectional didn't look that big in the store...., bought to big of a couch.) I can certainly put bookshelves onto of the entertainment center at 7-8" wide but would need to be tilted down some and toe in options would be small but not much should be needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1531841  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page