Official JBL Synthesis / Pro / Revel Home Theater Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2623Likes

post #3511 of 4278 Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Still in the box. I left my Marantz 8805 hooked up in the event someone local wanted to demo it prior to purchase.
Well hurry up and report back, you're wasting valuable enjoyment time using that putrid audyssey machine...

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 4278 Old 09-06-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3922 Post(s)
Liked: 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Well hurry up and report back, you're wasting valuable enjoyment time using that putrid audyssey machine...
Well...that should help his resale value
beastaudio likes this.
post #3513 of 4278 Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Quote:
How are you liking the mc-10 so far? I still have yet to update my calibration to Dirac 2.0 even though I downloaded and updated the software some 3 months ago or so... Ironically enough, my hope is to accomplish that this evening but who knows. I have been very pleased thus far with my usage of the mc-10 however.

I got an MC-10 a few months ago and love it. Easy to use, sounds great, dead quiet, has EQ(!), good upmix options etc. Quality piece of gear IMO. I haven't had time to run DIRAC yet either, but four F208's and a C-208 sound really good without subs. Getting two subs is next on the list. At that point, I'll have to use RC and look at REW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3514 of 4278 Old 09-06-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How are you liking the mc-10 so far? I still have yet to update my calibration to Dirac 2.0 even though I downloaded and updated the software some 3 months ago or so... Ironically enough, my hope is to accomplish that this evening but who knows. I have been very pleased thus far with my usage of the mc-10 however.
Is the MC-10 going to be capable of running the Dirac BM module?
post #3515 of 4278 Old 09-06-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
I got an MC-10 a few months ago and love it. Easy to use, sounds great, dead quiet, has EQ(!), good upmix options etc. Quality piece of gear IMO. I haven't had time to run DIRAC yet either, but four F208's and a C-208 sound really good without subs. Getting two subs is next on the list. At that point, I'll have to use RC and look at REW.
Has EQ you mean like the bass and treble controls? I am not aware of any other EQ on the unit other than Dirac's room EQ. Perhaps you could enlighten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Is the MC-10 going to be capable of running the Dirac BM module?
TBD after Cedia I believe. They have said that all Arcam/Lexicon/JBL units will have it available but they have NOT specified if that is only moving forward. There are two sub outs, which I don;t think are bridged internally but may just be locked out by the software at the moment. Hopefully a firmware update would free up this capability. That would be the icing on the already sweet cake that is the mc-10. I have been quite pleased with it and hope my (hopeful) run of Dirac 2.0 this evening will only improve upon that...
Gooddoc and 12B4A like this.

post #3516 of 4278 Old 09-06-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has EQ you mean like the bass and treble controls? I am not aware of any other EQ on the unit other than Dirac's room EQ. Perhaps you could enlighten me

TBD after Cedia I believe. They have said that all Arcam/Lexicon/JBL units will have it available but they have NOT specified if that is only moving forward. There are two sub outs, which I don't think are bridged internally but may just be locked out by the software at the moment. Hopefully a firmware update would free up this capability. That would be the icing on the already sweet cake that is the MC-10. I have been quite pleased with it and hope my (hopeful) run of Dirac 2.0 this evening will only improve upon that...

MC-10 has simple bass and treble controls, just boost or cut. The owners manual doesn't say much about them (center frequencies, etc). I found a 3 dB bass boost works well for listening to background music at lower volumes. I turn it back to zero when I'm playing loud enough that a bass boost sounds wrong.
post #3517 of 4278 Old 09-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 62
New models

HARMAN will debut new products from the JBL Synthesis brand, including the SDR-35 AV receiver and the SDP-55 AV processor (both support MQA ) from HERE

Looking forward to details...
Regards,
Kishore
Frohlich and Rex Anderson like this.

Last edited by Kishore; 09-07-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #3518 of 4278 Old 09-07-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
HARMAN will debut new products from the JBL Synthesis brand, including the SDR-35 AV receiver and the SDP-55 AV processor (both support MQA ) from HERE

Looking forward to details...
Regards,
Kishore
The hyperlink doesn't work...

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #3519 of 4278 Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Should work now...
post #3520 of 4278 Old 09-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallag View Post
I'm sorely aware of the soft dome and that it is no M2 CD capacity there. Since the 3 series is an active loudspeaker is it not likely that there are some sort of overdrive protection?

Anyhow, getting a quote on the SCS 8 if that is to unreasonable I will just buy a couple of sets of the 308 and replace the 802D and HTM1D in LCR duty for a night or two to see how much they will stand… If they are not up to the challenge the kids can have them as a stereo set in their room. Will see.

Thanks for all responses and for the tip on potential price hike on the processor, not sure if US hikes will influence us here on the other side of the atlantic, will check with our local dealer.
Quote:
HF driver in the JBL 308P MKII is a 1" soft dome, not a compression driver. HF DRIVER POWER AMP is 56W, Class-D. They are intended for near field monitoring in budget recording studio applications. I don't think they could keep up with the M2's. Other's have done the math and say it's possible IF you watch levels. Worst case scenario is you might be replacing tweeters.

The Trinnov processor does not have Auro 3D, the SDP-75 does. For a while longer the SDP-75 is several thousand dollars less expensive than the Trinnov.

Synthesis certification requires use of Synthesis products. You can get calibration done but not certified. With M2's you want the SDP-75, Trinnov does not have the anechoic data, the SDP-75 does. As far as I know, the only speakers it has anechoic data for are the M2, LSR 7 series and the SCL (in wall) series. They don't put in data for all the speakers folks "might" use.

Then I have had a couple of hour with the 308 MkII in LCR service. Little hiss but not audible beyond 0.5 m in our room, so that is an non-issue.

Started off listening to music in 2 channel with sub (90hz crossover) and it was shocking good for the price…. Impressive and stable soundstage and the surround effects in the Qsound on Madonna’s Vouge was markedly better than the 802Ds…. Did not sound strained even on quite high level (-7 on the processor) on two channel with the sub connected. Cutting the sub however they shoved strain in the bass area at higher level and it sounded like some sort protection turned on at one time.

I did not get to look at much film bit I got to listen through the Atmos bathhouse scene on john wick at level -15 and it was sounding very good, tried it one more time at -10 and the dynamic of the gunshots was IMPRESSIVE. Was afraid of killing the tweeters but no protection seams to kick in… The quality of the background soundtrack “THINK by KALEIDA” was also shockingly good. Even if it is not possible to A/B them with the 802Ds they made me not miss the B&Ws at least on this short listening session.

Will listen more tomorrow but so far count me impressed…

The Atmos soundtracks I have heard in our setup so far I have not experienced this level of sound energy that was sent to the centre (and L&R) channel 308 on this clip sent to Surround or atmos channels. Based on this my thinking so far is that they will stand Surround and Atmos service quite well…

They were however a bit bigger than I had envisioned so they will dominate at least in Atmos positions… The light in front also needs to be “killed” If I will land on using them but that is of course a minor issue :-D

Last edited by Kallag; 09-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #3521 of 4278 Old 09-08-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
@Kallag Thanks for the feedback on the 308's, very interesting! I've got the 305's for my PC setup and love them (I love the smooth jbl sound really). Loved my TLX-8's also lol... As for the light I just use blue-tak normally but for permanent fixes while still being able to just barely see the light (or not) I use black hot glue gun, black Sikaflex, black duct tape or unscrew the amp of the 308 and cut the led which I wouldn't do.
I'll definitely be considering the 308's though in my small HT room
post #3522 of 4278 Old 09-10-2019, 09:36 AM

The 308s survived the whole Avengers Endgame UHD screening including the finale scenes in LCR duty at -10db level. No tweeters gone, no obvious protection circuit issues. Sound quality more than ok.

For the price very very impressive!

Still a downside at least for Atmos duty is they are a bit large but see that the 206 is almost as capable sound pressure wise and have the same internal amp. Crossing them over at 19/100hz will the 306 be less capable? Anyone compared the SQ and capabilities two?

Of course a lot (14 or 16) of 300 series scattered around the room in surround/Atmos duty together with M2 in LCR duty will not be very cleen looking but I think have a potential for very good sound also at high (for me) listening level ….

The wife have seen (and listened to) the 308 and are however not sold on the idea… She want clean room with inn wall speakers… A pity the SCL-series are so expensive in Norway…
Any new on the SCL-5 Atmos speaker?

I’m also a bit sceptical to having SCL type speakers not able to direct towards MLP. They have wide dispersion but MLP will be way out of main axis for a lot of the channels. Any experiences in the matter?
post #3523 of 4278 Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 308s survived the whole Avengers Endgame UHD screening including the finale scenes in LCR duty at -10db level. No tweeters gone, no obvious protection circuit issues. Sound quality more than ok.

For the price very very impressive!

Still a downside at least for Atmos duty is they are a bit large but see that the 206 is almost as capable sound pressure wise and have the same internal amp. Crossing them over at 19/100hz will the 306 be less capable? Anyone compared the SQ and capabilities two?

Of course a lot (14 or 16) of 300 series scattered around the room in surround/Atmos duty together with M2 in LCR duty will not be very cleen looking but I think have a potential for very good sound also at high (for me) listening level ….

The wife have seen (and listened to) the 308 and are however not sold on the idea… She want clean room with inn wall speakers… A pity the SCL-series are so expensive in Norway…

I’m also a bit skeptical to having SCL type speakers not able to direct towards MLP. They have wide dispersion but MLP will be way out of main axis for a lot of the channels. Any experiences in the matter?
Did you state your room dimensions? How many Atmos channels, how many surround channels are you planing to employ? 9.4.6 is a nice configuration for a good sized room. SCL-5 is being introduced at CEDIA in a few days, pricing should be available soon.

The JBL LSR 306Mk II should be equally capable as the 308MkII if crossed over at 100 Hz. You might even get away with 80Hz.

I understand your wife's desire for a cleaner look in the room. Lot's of speakers mounted on the walls and ceiling may be OK for some (Dr. Toole's wife let's him do it), but not all.
post #3524 of 4278 Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the input Rex.

Going to be interesting to see the new in roof speakers from JBL.

Room info:

Quote:
Room size 6.2X4.8 meters height on average 2.6meters. With today’s setup of B&W 802D and HTM1D and “various” Atmos and surround speakers I listen typically with -15 db on from reference on processor I have today. MLP is approx. 3,6 meters from front row.
When rom is redecorated it will be 2 rows seats it is a dedicated HT room with a separate adjoining equipment room.

Blacked out viewing of movies scattering a bunch of speakers through the room does not matter that much (once the LEDs of the 308 are taped over). It is probably also possible to do some smart “masking” of speakers with acoustically transparent fabric but as nice as in wills it will definitely not look.

I am however a bit sceptic of speakers so off axis to MLP as a lot of in walls will be.

The idea of buying 300 series was to afford the Trinnov or SDP-75 24 channel processor with the potential for a 9.4.8, 11.4.6 or a 11.1.9 (using an minidsp for bass management of 4 subs) Atmos setup using 6 channels for the 3 M2s in LCR.

Maybe it is overkill with regards to channels in this size room… Seems like there are more affordable 16 channel processors in the works giving more economic room for fewer more expensive speakers. …
post #3525 of 4278 Old 09-10-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input Rex.

Going to be interesting to see the new in ceiling speakers from JBL.

Room info:

When room is redecorated it will be 2 rows seats it is a dedicated HT room with a separate adjoining equipment room.

Blacked out viewing of movies scattering a bunch of speakers through the room does not matter that much (once the LEDs of the 308 are taped over). It is probably also possible to do some smart “masking” of speakers with acoustically transparent fabric but as nice as in wills it will definitely not look.

I am however a bit skeptic of speakers so off axis to MLP as a lot of in walls will be.

The idea of buying 300 series was to afford the Trinnov or SDP-75 24 channel processor with the potential for a 9.4.8, 11.4.6 or a 11.1.9 (using an minidsp for bass management of 4 subs) Atmos setup using 6 channels for the 3 M2s in LCR.

Maybe it is overkill with regards to channels in this size room… Seems like there are more affordable 16 channel processors in the works giving more economic room for fewer more expensive speakers. …
More speakers in a small room is not necessarily better, it's best to design for the room. Have you seen Floyd Toole's room? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57740652

9.4.6 seems pretty good for your your room IMO. There are new processors being released at CEDIA this week. 3 SCL-2 in walls would great behind an AT screen in your room. You might consider using them instead of M-2's and SCL-3s for surrounds, SCL-5's for Atmos. The SSW series of inwall subwoofers sounded great when I heard them at Harman a few months ago.

https://www.ravepubs.com/jbl-synthes...rs-cedia-2018/
post #3526 of 4278 Old 09-11-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3029 Post(s)
Liked: 2250
Quote:
More speakers in a small room is not necessarily better, it's best to design for the room. Have you seen Floyd Toole's room? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57740652

9.4.6 seems pretty good for your your room IMO. There are new processors being released at CEDIA this week. 3 SCL-2 in walls would great behind an AT screen in your room. You might consider using them instead of M-2's and SCL-3s for surrounds, SCL-5's for Atmos. The SSW series of inwall subwoofers sounded great when I heard them at Harman a few months ago.

https://www.ravepubs.com/jbl-synthes...rs-cedia-2018/
Rex, would you mind posting details of the SCL-5 in this thread once NDA's etc have been lifted? Thanks.
post #3527 of 4278 Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Have you considered the JBL Pro CBT series for surrounds and/or heights? I don't know your local pricing, but JBL did a CEDIA demo with 3 M2s and 10 CBT50s for surround that garnered positive reviews. I have a garden setup with two of the CBT-100s and it sounds quite good for background music. The other JBL "Pro" speaker that might be worth considering is the Control HST. It's designed for on-wall mounting, and has wide coverage due to the twin splayed tweeters and rear-firing woofer. I've long been curious about this speaker but haven't heard it. Infinity has a "domestic" version of it, but I'll take a paintable cabinet over petrochemical wood-like substitute every time.

People here constantly bench race theoretical max SPL capabilities but honestly it's about as stupid as car people bench racing top speeds.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #3528 of 4278 Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
She want clean room with inn wall speakers… A pity the SCL-series are so expensive in Norway…

I’m also a bit sceptical to having SCL type speakers not able to direct towards MLP. They have wide dispersion but MLP will be way out of main axis for a lot of the channels. Any experiences in the matter?
For in-wall or more importantly in-ceiling you could go two directions either the Control c328 or for a little cheaper and I have multiple friends who use them with very high SPL rigs and say they do great, these little guys..aimable, compact, and perhaps worth your consideration:

https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34...iling-speaker/

post #3529 of 4278 Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Rex, would you mind posting details of the SCL-5 in this thread once NDA's etc have been lifted? Thanks.

Will do! We should have all the info by the end of this week when CEDIA wraps up.
post #3530 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 179
From CEDIA: https://www.cepro.com/audio-video/da...dia-expo-2019/

Seems that JBL Synthesis is introducing a "cheaper" surround processor which features Dante outout. I.e. a single ethernet cable for digital sound transfer between processor and DSP/amps. Personally, I think this is amazing news!

EDIT: It does not state if it is incoming or outgoing audio now that I read it again... I hope outgoing. Maybe someone in here knows more?
Frohlich likes this.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
HAA HT1, HT2 & HT3 certified

Last edited by JonasHansen; 09-12-2019 at 03:46 AM.
post #3531 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2118 Post(s)
Liked: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post

Seems that JBL Synthesis is introducing a "cheaper" surround processor which features Dante outout. I.e. a single ethernet cable for digital sound transfer between processor and DSP/amps. Personally, I think this is amazing news!

EDIT: It does not state if it is incoming or outgoing audio now that I read it again... I hope outgoing. Maybe someone in here knows more?
Saw this yesterday on the 2019 CEDIA thread. Very interesting. I was leaning towards the new Monoprice HTP-1 but this has my attention. I am a big JBL/Crown fan so it would look good in the rack
post #3532 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Saw this yesterday on the 2019 CEDIA thread. Very interesting. I was leaning towards the new Monoprice HTP-1 but this has my attention. I am a big JBL/Crown fan so it would look good in the rack
I'm guessing 15k. I'll take the HTP-1
post #3533 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post

Probably outgoing because the new amplifiers also has dante

New Dante enabled products at CEDIA Expo 2019 include:

The new JBL Synthesis SDP-55 surround processor, SDR-35 AV receiver, SDA-7120 seven-channel amplifier, and SDA-2200 two-channel amplifier

Skickat från min GM1913 via Tapatalk
post #3534 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I'm guessing 15k. I'll take the HTP-1
Then you will be pleasantly surprised. Already announced at $6K (and I am sure street price will be lower)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...ervations.html

Their SDP-55 16 channel (9.1.6) processor has an MSRP of $6,000, but includes a Dante Ethernet audio interface if you want to use that network based transfer protocol, and Dirac Live with upcoming bass calibration update.
post #3535 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Then you will be pleasantly surprised. Already announced at $6K (and I am sure street price will be lower)

Their SDP-55 16 channel (9.1.6) processor has an MSRP of $6,000, but includes a Dante Ethernet audio interface if you want to use that network based transfer protocol, and Dirac Live with upcoming bass calibration update.

I hope someone asks if the “anechoic data” extends to “Synthesis adjacent” speakers such as the M2 and 705/708.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #3536 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looky what I found. JBL Synthesis site is already updated with all their new 2019 CEDIA gear:

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...ack-US-Current

SDP-55
JBLSDP55AM
16 Ch. Immersive Surround Sound Processor with Dante

Black
Designed to ensure exceptional performance without compromise. With best- in- class audio and video signal integrity, 16 channels of native processing, Dolby ATMOS®, DTS:X®, Auro 3D®, IMAX® Enhanced, Dirac Live®, Logic16™, Network Streaming, and Dante® the JBL Synthesis® SDP-55 delivers a powerful, sensory-rich experience with unrivaled

Last edited by Frohlich; 09-12-2019 at 04:52 AM.
post #3537 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3029 Post(s)
Liked: 2250
Quote:
Looky what I found. JBL Synthesis site is already updated with all their new 2019 CEDIA gear:

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...ack-US-Current

SDP-55
JBLSDP55AM
16 Ch. Immersive Surround Sound Processor with Dante

Black
Designed to ensure exceptional performance without compromise. With best- in- class audio and video signal integrity, 16 channels of native processing, Dolby ATMOS®, DTS:X®, Auro 3D®, IMAX® Enhanced, Dirac Live®, Logic16™, Network Streaming, and Dante® the JBL Synthesis® SDP-55 delivers a powerful, sensory-rich experience with unrivaled
Interesting - what unit are they rebadging there?
post #3538 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
has there been a msrp announced yet for the 7120 amp?
post #3539 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Not pleasantly surprised, more like shocked! Could it have anything to do with the Monoprice unit....hmmm . Evil capitalism at work I think.😉 Well, it is certainly in consideration then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
I hope someone asks if the “anechoic data” extends to “Synthesis adjacent” speakers such as the M2 and 705/708.
The M2 was part of synthesis system bundles in the not too distant past, not sure about now. So they would be included. Not sure about the 7 series.
RichB likes this.
post #3540 of 4278 Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Problebly not possible to have LCR M2s without external dsp or dsp amp. To have the active crossover it takes up 6 channels

Skickat från min GM1913 via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page