Q Acoustics Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 512Likes

post #61 of 1262 Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

Based on a reccomendation from Geoff in a tread that I started looking for speaker recommendations, I picked up a couple 3020s, and a 3090c to go along with a SVS PB-1000. I will finish installing them today and looking forward to watching some great movies this weekend.

YAY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1262 Old 10-28-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8593 Post(s)
Liked: 5791
Seems like the smaller 2000 series stand mounters are a huge hit; out of stock in the US right now!

Geoff A. J., California
post #63 of 1262 Old 10-28-2016, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Acoustics View Post
Hi Jubei-1

Yes, the 3020, mounted on the 3000 Series wall brackets, will work perfectly - providing of course, that bracket is suitable for your wall. The 3000WB is designed for 'solid' walls (brick/concrete etc.)

If you have 'drywall/plaster board' walls, then an alternative bracket or shelf may be more suitable.

Regards

Q Acoustics
Is there really much of a difference between the 3010 and 3020 if using as rears in a medium sized room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1262 Old 10-29-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
Is there really much of a difference between the 3010 and 3020 if using as rears in a medium sized room?
I wouldn't think so as the more expensive speaker plays down to 64hz while the less expensive one with the same tweeter plays down to 68hz.

Generally nothing below 80hz is sent to the rears anyway.

Geoff A. J., California
post #65 of 1262 Old 10-31-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yellow rings??

After 6 to 8 months of research I finally took the plunge and purchased a pair of 3050 speakers.

I did take some time to listen to them in a local stereo store. To be honest, I wasn’t very impressed with that audition. But, I didn’t hold that against them because I figured it had something to do with the addition room’s acoustics or possibly the way the system was set up. Nothing really sounded good that day.

So, once they became available in Canada I bought a pair through the Q Acoustics website. Unfortunately I had to pay in American dollars so I lost quite a bit there and I had to pay an extraordinary amount of money in customs charges to get them over the border. Essentially I paid an additional $600 just to get them here to Canada.

After receiving them I quickly set them up. But there was one very unfortunate characteristic of the speakers I noticed immediately when I open the boxes and prepared the speakers for assembly of the outriggers and floor spikes. What I immediately noticed was that the rings around the main drivers were unusually yellow. For the last eight months I was so excited to receive completely white speakers but these radiator rings around the drivers were definitely not white. It is a shade of white but with a definite tinge of yellow which just makes them look defective or looks as though the rings around the drivers have spent numerous years sitting in the sun. It just looks wrong. Even when my friends came over to see the speakers, they immediately noticed how yellow the rings were and they were saying how it looked like there must’ve been a mistake in the manufacturing. If the ring radiators were just the same colour as the rest of the speaker, everyone would just be amazed at the aesthetics of the speakers!

Every review I’ve looked at over the last eight months has never shown the rings on the front of the speakers to be this strange yellow colour. I guarantee that if the reviewers over at What Hi-Fi? Received a pair of white 3050 speakers for review and they had these radiator rings coloured with the yellow tinge they would probably have mentioned it. None of the reviews mentioned anything about the radiator rings being somewhat yellow nor did any of the pictures in any of the reviews show any inconsistency in the whites. They were white through and through yet my speakers are not.

I’ve been told by Q acoustics that this is the way it is supposed to be but I’ve also emailed other users of the speakers and they say that their speakers do not look like mine. To be honest, if I knew the 3050s had the strange colouring I would’ve went ahead and invested further by purchasing the concept 40s.

It should also be noted that I have Phillips Hue lighting in my room and I can change the colour temperature to warm and cool lighting settings and regardless of the temperature I set, this yellowing is always the issue. It's the worst during the day when natural light is coming through the windows. My TV cabinet and walls all look really nice during the day but then there are these wonderful white speakers with yellow rings.

Now, aside from all of this aesthetic disappointment. I will say that I really like the speakers in the sound department. I’m using a Marantz 6010 receiver. It took me a little while to adjust from my earlier speakers (Bowers and Wilkins CM series bookshelf) but I’ve come full circle. I just really appreciate the Q Acoustics signature sound. I’m definitely going to be purchasing a matching centre channel and surround sounds depending on whether I can get this whole ring radiator thing sorted out.

The speakers are beautiful. With the magnetic grills on. Why, because they cover up those yellow tinged ring radiators. But I usually always preferred to keep the grills off my speakers.

I've provided some pictures for everyone to see. If you own the speakers, let me know if you're speakers are the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14858547_10154010230078779_1129066465_o.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1745849   Click image for larger version

Name:	14881439_10154010234913779_1695049696_o.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1745889   Click image for larger version

Name:	14876139_10154010234908779_1868973115_o.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1745897  

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
post #66 of 1262 Old 10-31-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Hi DB 47

Many thanks for considering Q Acoustics speakers.

if you missed it, the very first US review of the 3050 has been published by 'EnjoyTheMusic' and can be seen here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ker_Review.htm

On the same site, you can see a recent review by the respected British reviewer, Martin Colloms, writing in his 'HiFi Critic' magazine. It's also available from our site:
http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/themes/q...hificritic.pdf

I'm very pleased to say there are lots more overwhelmingly positive reviews of the 3050 available on the internet.

As to larger speakers: we are working on the 'Concept 500' (we showed a prototype at the Munich show in May). Estimated selling price is around $3000 per pair and we expect to release it early next year.

Like all Q Acoustics speakers; we expect it to be 'truly class leading' (I couldn't resist lapsing into 'marketing speak' for a moment )

Best regards

Steve Reichert

Q Acoustics

Regarding the pricing on the Concept 500. Is that $3000 American dollars for a pair (two speakers)?

post #67 of 1262 Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerger View Post
After 6 to 8 months of research I finally took the plunge and purchased a pair of 3050 speakers.

I did take some time to listen to them in a local stereo store. To be honest, I wasn’t very impressed with that audition. But, I didn’t hold that against them because I figured it had something to do with the addition room’s acoustics or possibly the way the system was set up. Nothing really sounded good that day.

So, once they became available in Canada I bought a pair through the Q Acoustics website. Unfortunately I had to pay in American dollars so I lost quite a bit there and I had to pay an extraordinary amount of money in customs charges to get them over the border. Essentially I paid an additional $600 just to get them here to Canada.

After receiving them I quickly set them up. But there was one very unfortunate characteristic of the speakers I noticed immediately when I open the boxes and prepared the speakers for assembly of the outriggers and floor spikes. What I immediately noticed was that the rings around the main drivers were unusually yellow. For the last eight months I was so excited to receive completely white speakers but these radiator rings around the drivers were definitely not white. It is a shade of white but with a definite tinge of yellow which just makes them look defective or looks as though the rings around the drivers have spent numerous years sitting in the sun. It just looks wrong. Even when my friends came over to see the speakers, they immediately noticed how yellow the rings were and they were saying how it looked like there must’ve been a mistake in the manufacturing. If the ring radiators were just the same colour as the rest of the speaker, everyone would just be amazed at the aesthetics of the speakers!

Every review I’ve looked at over the last eight months has never shown the rings on the front of the speakers to be this strange yellow colour. I guarantee that if the reviewers over at What Hi-Fi? Received a pair of white 3050 speakers for review and they had these radiator rings coloured with the yellow tinge they would probably have mentioned it. None of the reviews mentioned anything about the radiator rings being somewhat yellow nor did any of the pictures in any of the reviews show any inconsistency in the whites. They were white through and through yet my speakers are not.

I’ve been told by Q acoustics that this is the way it is supposed to be but I’ve also emailed other users of the speakers and they say that their speakers do not look like mine. To be honest, if I knew the 3050s had the strange colouring I would’ve went ahead and invested further by purchasing the concept 40s.

It should also be noted that I have Phillips Hue lighting in my room and I can change the colour temperature to warm and cool lighting settings and regardless of the temperature I set, this yellowing is always the issue. It's the worst during the day when natural light is coming through the windows. My TV cabinet and walls all look really nice during the day but then there are these wonderful white speakers with yellow rings.

Now, aside from all of this aesthetic disappointment. I will say that I really like the speakers in the sound department. I’m using a Marantz 6010 receiver. It took me a little while to adjust from my earlier speakers (Bowers and Wilkins CM series bookshelf) but I’ve come full circle. I just really appreciate the Q Acoustics signature sound. I’m definitely going to be purchasing a matching centre channel and surround sounds depending on whether I can get this whole ring radiator thing sorted out.

The speakers are beautiful. With the magnetic grills on. Why, because they cover up those yellow tinged ring radiators. But I usually always preferred to keep the grills off my speakers.

I've provided some pictures for everyone to see. If you own the speakers, let me know if you're speakers are the same.
To my eyes they look far nicer with the grills on to be honest.

How much would a pair of similar B&W speakers have cost you in Canada as it seems you paid close to $1300 American for the 3050s?

Looking at the Q Acoustics website and elsewhere, the trim rings do look white vs. off white like yours.

I'd PM Steve Reichert here on AVS as he's a member.

Geoff A. J., California
post #68 of 1262 Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhagan View Post
Hello!

Based on a reccomendation from Geoff in a tread that I started looking for speaker recommendations, I picked up a couple 3020s, and a 3090c to go along with a SVS PB-1000. I will finish installing them today and looking forward to watching some great movies this weekend.

YAY
Any thoughts on them yet?

Geoff A. J., California
post #69 of 1262 Old 11-01-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
To my eyes they look far nicer with the grills on to be honest.

How much would a pair of similar B&W speakers have cost you in Canada as it seems you paid close to $1300 American for the 3050s?

Looking at the Q Acoustics website and elsewhere, the trim rings do look white vs. off white like yours.

I'd PM Steve Reichert here on AVS as he's a member.

At the end of the day, after shipping and custom charges to my door in Canada I basically paid $1400 for these speakers. To get them from a dealer here would've cost $1600. That's a lot of money for speakers that you expect to be completely white. Maybe I'm asking too much.

Q Acoustics keep telling me that the only difference is a matte finish versus a gloss finish. If that were the case I would have no problems but I'm sure anyone can see from the pictures I posted that there is a little more involved here. Q Acoustics also told me that it is impossible for them to match the trim rings to the rest of the speakers and that my speakers fall within the "tolerances" of the possible variances. :-(

If I were to see these speakers in the store with these yellow rings… I would never buy them. I purchased on the basis that the trim rings were white.

If I want to return the speakers I am going to have to pay an additional $400 for shipping and customs charges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14907793_10153892261546976_1620552094_o.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1747617  

post #70 of 1262 Old 11-01-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerger View Post
At the end of the day, after shipping and custom charges to my door in Canada I basically paid $1400 for these speakers. To get them from a dealer here would've cost $1600. That's a lot of money for speakers that you expect to be completely white. Maybe I'm asking too much.

Q Acoustics keep telling me that the only difference is a matte finish versus a gloss finish. If that were the case I would have no problems but I'm sure anyone can see from the pictures I posted that there is a little more involved here. Q Acoustics also told me that it is impossible for them to match the trim rings to the rest of the speakers and that my speakers fall within the "tolerances" of the possible variances. :-(

If I were to see these speakers in the store with these yellow rings… I would never buy them. I purchased on the basis that the trim rings were white.

If I want to return the speakers I am going to have to pay an additional $400 for shipping and customs charges.
Well, thankfully you are delighted with the sound and they do look rather nice with the grills on.

Geoff A. J., California
post #71 of 1262 Old 11-01-2016, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked: 2360
Seems like the rings could be removed, painted with a can of $4.00 spray paint, and then you could forgo the $400 return cost.
post #72 of 1262 Old 11-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
We expect the Concept Center speaker to be included with our next big shipment to Atlanta, which is scheduled to be late October 2016.
Hey Steve,

Any update on the Concept Centers? Shipment arrival, price for the speaker and if you are expecting white ones?

Thanks!
Christopher
post #73 of 1262 Old 11-03-2016, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinnydon View Post
Hey Steve,

Any update on the Concept Centers? Shipment arrival, price for the speaker and if you are expecting white ones?

Thanks!
Christopher
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your patience. I'm informed the Concept Center speakers are included in a shipment that has just docked in Charleston SC. It will take a time to be unloaded and to obtain Customs clearance, I would expect them to be available from www.qacoustics.com by the middle of this month.

There are both Gloss White and Gloss Black versions in the shipment and the price in the US will be $280.

Regards

Steve Reichert
post #74 of 1262 Old 11-06-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Chakrabarti View Post
Hey Steve,

Just in case, I went and checked all the connections, as you advised. I use banana clips mostly so everything is color coded and in phase, so that checks out. I went and made sure the banana clips fit snuggly into the terminals, red into red, black into black. Checked that the clips themselves are screwed properly. Where I use bare wire to run through the pass through of my sub, I made sure that the white lined side (which I use to correspond with the red plugs) are in the red terminals, and the unmarked side in the black. Everything is secure and as it should be.

For anyone interested, I've uploaded some pics to illustrate the size difference between the 3020s and the MB42xs.

Thanks,

Bobby
If you use on a tiny smsl tpa amp you should be punished these little deserve a much better amp above 500$
post #75 of 1262 Old 11-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Larsen View Post
If you use on a tiny smsl tpa amp you should be punished these little deserve a much better amp above 500$
Had the q Acoustics 2010i for my tv, very nice open sound, perfect for tv (voices)

I wanted a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 for my pc, i liked my 2010i so much, half price,open and clear midrange,concept 20 a bit to expensive, got the money, bought a pair of 3020 graphite since i like the dark color and graphite is much cheaper than the other colors,finish (color doesn't effect the sound quality )

They have a clear,open and a bit dry sound, the bass i feel is very neutral not boomy at all, not midbass heavy like some speakers trying to make you think the bass is deep and loud,try playing some, edm (electronic dance music or techno,dubstep like lindsey stirling)you will hear a deep and loud bass

For the money very good value and the can easily handle an amp like i have, a Marantz PM8005
gajCA, Broadus and Q Acoustics like this.
post #76 of 1262 Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 38
Q Acoustics - Concept Center channel

Hello everyone,

A number of forum members have enquired about the 'Concept Series' center channel speaker. We're please to confirm it is now available from www.qacoustics.com

The price, in either gloss black or gloss white finish, is $269.99

Best regards

Q Acoustics
post #77 of 1262 Old 11-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

A number of forum members have enquired about the 'Concept Series' center channel speaker. We're please to confirm it is now available from www.qacoustics.com

The price, in either gloss black or gloss white finish, is $269.99

Best regards

Q Acoustics
Wow Steve, that is almost half what comparable KEF, Martin Logan or B&W cost for a similar quality center channel speaker.

Never mind that yours has nicer finish options than most.

Great job.
Q Acoustics likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #78 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 03:24 AM

Trying to put together a bang for buck apartment stereo music setup that has Bluetooth, primarily going to use with Bluetooth since I don't use google or apple stuff so chrome cast audio or airplay isn't practical I just want all audio beamed from my Surface Pro 4 to my music system, so I can watch videos with the speakers too.

As much as the KEF LS50 Wireless 2200$ is tempting as a lover of music, it's damn expensive, not released yet, and I'm but a university student so I should keep something to look forward to and be somewhat fiscally responsible

Thinking the QA 3020s 250$
The QA 3000 series stand 125$ or the Concept 20 stands 250$ (speaker stands don't really get obsolete, is it worth longterm to get the better stands I'm thinking??)
The cheapest seemingly quality Bluetooth enabled amp/receiver that can power the speakers: Yamaha RS202 receiver 150$.

Something like the NAD C338 would be ideal as a source of power/signal to the speakers, but then my budget is blown halfway to the LS50 Wireless which everything built in to the speakers and better sound at that (for much more money granted..)!

So something that's 500-700$~ dollars versus 2200$ for the LS50 Wireless.
I'm just concerned that compromising on the source of power/signal to the 3020s might be a mistake, but getting a solidly quality source/signal amp/dac that has Bluetooth integrated pushes me past the point where the extra 1000$ or so to a fully integrated superior system starts feeling worth it.

Competing speakers 300$ or under: KEF Q100, ELAC B5/B6.

Last edited by DrunkenTiger; 11-18-2016 at 03:56 AM.
post #79 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I keep bouncing back and forth between the 3020/50 and the concept 20/40

Worth the price difference for the concepts?
post #80 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Post #46 in this thread has a link to a thread where Zorba922 compares the 3020's to the concept 20's, along with svs primes and WD 10.1's
post #81 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenTiger View Post
Trying to put together a bang for buck apartment stereo music setup that has Bluetooth, primarily going to use with Bluetooth since I don't use google or apple stuff so chrome cast audio or airplay isn't practical I just want all audio beamed from my Surface Pro 4 to my music system, so I can watch videos with the speakers too.

As much as the KEF LS50 Wireless 2200$ is tempting as a lover of music, it's damn expensive, not released yet, and I'm but a university student so I should keep something to look forward to and be somewhat fiscally responsible

Thinking the QA 3020s 250$
The QA 3000 series stand 125$ or the Concept 20 stands 250$ (speaker stands don't really get obsolete, is it worth longterm to get the better stands I'm thinking??)
The cheapest seemingly quality Bluetooth enabled amp/receiver that can power the speakers: Yamaha RS202 receiver 150$.

Something like the NAD C338 would be ideal as a source of power/signal to the speakers, but then my budget is blown halfway to the LS50 Wireless which everything built in to the speakers and better sound at that (for much more money granted..)!

So something that's 500-700$~ dollars versus 2200$ for the LS50 Wireless.
I'm just concerned that compromising on the source of power/signal to the 3020s might be a mistake, but getting a solidly quality source/signal amp/dac that has Bluetooth integrated pushes me past the point where the extra 1000$ or so to a fully integrated superior system starts feeling worth it.

Competing speakers 300$ or under: KEF Q100, ELAC B5/B6.
That Yamaha is a great starter receiver with tons of power and reasonable connectivity to analog sources.

If I was a University student again I'd definitely go the Yamaha + Q Acousics 3020 route.

B&W quality sound for less than half the price.

I'd get some inexpensive stands like these and spend the money saved on a subwoofer with speaker level connections.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051NF24...k-lacquer.html

I have the little brother to this subwoofer, (two of them actually) and while they don't perform as well as my $4000 sub in my theater room they are a tremendous bang for the buck and made a huge difference filling out the lower registers in my secondary listening room for music paired with my bookshelves on stands, (Q Acoustics Concept stands but Martin Logan speakers).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #82 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I'd get some inexpensive stands like these and spend the money saved on a subwoofer with speaker level connections.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051NF24...k-lacquer.html

I have the little brother to this subwoofer, (two of them actually) and while they don't perform as well as my $4000 sub in my theater room they are a tremendous bang for the buck and made a huge difference filling out the lower registers in my secondary listening room for music paired with my bookshelves on stands, (Q Acoustics Concept stands but Martin Logan speakers).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html
Cool! Makes sense to me to save money on the stands, I'll get the Sanus ones. If I'm going to use a sub to fill out low frequencies should I just get the 3010s? 70$ cheaper, just without the extension of the 3020.
That way I'd probably allocate more money in getting a better sub than the Yamaha.
post #83 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Cool! Makes sense to me to save money on the stands, I'll get the Sanus ones. If I'm going to use a sub to fill out low frequencies should I just get the 3010s? 70$ cheaper, just without the extension of the 3020.
That way I'd probably allocate more money in getting a better sub than the Yamaha.
Yes, that is a good idea, putting a little more money into the subs.

The 3010 has the same excellent tweeter as the 3020 and the Concept 20.

But don't sell the Yamaha short, 2 of them are more than twice as good as just one.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 11-18-2016 at 04:08 PM.
post #84 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is a good idea, putting a little more money into the subs.

The 3010 has the same excellent tweeter as the 3020.
I wonder if a sub is going to piss off the people living under me, it's an apartment.
I guess now I gotta decide 2.0 or 2.1, and if 2.1 then what's the best sub for music under 200$~

3020s in 2.0 might be more sensible living in an apartment, I don't care about rattling things with the sub, it's more to reproduce the spectrum of music somewhat faithfully...
Thoughts? Thanks for the help.
post #85 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Delighted to see an owners thread here finally

Bought the front 2050i and 2020i rears with the 2000Ci center speaker and 2070Si subwoofer a few years ago.
This is actually my first real set, powered by an Onkyo TX-NR646.

I really like the sound, but I still got the rubber feet on the pins ... as I read here ... I should really remove those it seems.
What sort of difference should I hear? Got a wooden floor by the way.

Am kinda curious if my receiver is powerfull enough and would like to know if a heavier receiver would be better sound quality wise.

Sony KD-65X8505C • Onkyo TX-RZ820 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i S:2070Si
Vero 4K (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield (2017) • Sony UBP-X800 • Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
post #86 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I wonder if a sub is going to piss off the people living under me, it's an apartment.
I guess now I gotta decide 2.0 or 2.1, and if 2.1 then what's the best sub for music under 200$~

3020s in 2.0 might be more sensible living in an apartment, I don't care about rattling things with the sub, it's more to reproduce the spectrum of music somewhat faithfully...
Thoughts? Thanks for the help.
Actually two is the answer as neither one has to play as loud as one to get bass that seems to emanate from everwhere, not just one sub.

And they do have volume controls.

But just buy the speakers first and then decide.
noshank likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #87 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theetjuh View Post
Delighted to see an owners thread here finally

Bought the front 2050i and 2020i rears with the 2000Ci center speaker and 2070Si subwoofer a few years ago.
This is actually my first real set, powered by an Onkyo TX-NR646.

I really like the sound, but I still got the rubber feet on the pins ... as I read here ... I should really remove those it seems.
What sort of difference should I hear? Got a wooden floor by the way.

Am kinda curious if my receiver is powerfull enough and would like to know if a heavier receiver would be better sound quality wise.
Your receiver is a hair more powerful than mine at 90 watts and the desire to have more power in my main HT with 89db sensitivity speakers is zero.

I auditioned the Concept 20s in my secondary setup with a 50 watt NAD receiver and they sounded great.

Your 100 watt amp is more than enough.

BTW I just put coins under the Concept Stands' metal spikes on my wooden floor.

Geoff A. J., California
post #88 of 1262 Old 11-18-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Actually two is the answer as neither one has to play as loud as one to get bass that seems to emanate from everwhere, not just one sub.

And they do have volume controls.

But just buy the speakers first and then decide.
Hypothetically can the RS202 even work with two of those Yamaha subwoofers?

I'm leaning toward just getting the 3020s since they have enough bass to stand of their own two speakers stands (heh). Subwoofer(s) might not be smart while I still live in an apartment with people under me.

Another question, seems there's just a boatload of good sensibly priced speakers. And with all this ELAC B6 hype, does anyone have an idea of what would set them apart from the 3020s? I mean I just keep going back and forth all these speakers seem awesome. I should just shutup and buy something honestly.
post #89 of 1262 Old 11-19-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Hypothetically can the RS202 even work with two of those Yamaha subwoofers?

I'm leaning toward just getting the 3020s since they have enough bass to stand of their own two speakers stands (heh). Subwoofer(s) might not be smart while I still live in an apartment with people under me.

Another question, seems there's just a boatload of good sensibly priced speakers. And with all this ELAC B6 hype, does anyone have an idea of what would set them apart from the 3020s? I mean I just keep going back and forth all these speakers seem awesome. I should just shutup and buy something honestly.
Yes, if a receiver only has one sub RCA out then just use a Y cable.

The Elac B6 have been very well received and as they have a larger woofer they do play significantly lower than the 3020s.

I've heard ambivalent things about the B5s but not the B6.

Geoff A. J., California
post #90 of 1262 Old 11-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, if a receiver only has one sub RCA out then just use a Y cable.

The Elac B6 have been very well received and as they have a larger woofer they do play significantly lower than the 3020s.

I've heard ambivalent things about the B5s but not the B6.
I just wish the wirecutter would update their review, they said they would include the 3020s...
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...helf-speakers/
By their logic/thinking it goes KEF Q100>ELAC B6
Curious what they think of the 3020 I like their testing.

Anyways, I'm gonna defer speaker buying until January, realized I'm off for winter break in a couple weeks anyways no point buying speakers for the apartment then going home for a month... Will keep reading QA impressions as more people in the US market buy them!

Need to replace dad's old audio setup of Infinity Studio Monitor 120s that were hooked up to an old now probably dysfunctional Luxman R115 Receiver, actually broken Luxman D113 CD player, functioning Luxman P102 turntable and K112 cassette player, 1980s audio gear on its way out!
Think I can convince him to get Concept 40s and a NAD C368?
Never liked the sound of his setup, way too boomy, positioning in the room sucks too, speakers in the corners way too far apart
Winter break project to figure this out haha

Last edited by DrunkenTiger; 11-20-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page