Q Acoustics Owner's Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 523Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1284 Old 07-13-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRR8T View Post
This is a stupid place to put a sticker.
Well, very few people on AVS don't like the sound but for the price they have to cut corners it would seem.

Polk chose to do it on fit and finish it seems.

A sticker in the same place on the Concept 20s would have zero effect as the fit and finish was top notch.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1284 Old 07-13-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
[quote=GGRR8T;58291838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

I was excited to setup my S20 signature series Polk's. That is exactly what happened to me. They placed a cardboard placard on the top exactly where the seam is(speaker covered with vinyl wrap). I went to carefully remove it and the speaker wrap came off with it. Back it goes. FWIW I also ordered S35 center speaker. There was an air bubble on the top. I pressed it down and it smoothed out as if it were never there. So much for quality control. How could they be that stupid to put that placard right on the seem? I am sure they have had people complaining but they just don't care I guess.

I had the Polk S20, 15 and 30 and hated those stupid red description cards stuck on the top of the cabinets. I get the idea of using those for display speakers in a store, but they could have easily put those in the box with some double sided tape so the stores could slap those on top. Really stupid to put them on a cabinet that is wrapped in cheap vinyl. While I really enjoyed the Polk Sigs I had, the build quality did leave a lot to be desired. Some even had issues with the plastic face-plate coming detached. I have the Polk RTiA1 and CSiA4 and the build quality on those is leaps and bounds better. Real wood veneer finish on the RTiA speakers is really nice. I prefer the sound quality and clarity of the RTiA1 over the S15, as well.
gajCA and Ryan Statz like this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X,HD4.50,PC37X. HiFiMAN HE4XX. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. SA HDTwo. HyperX CloudPS4. TB Elite AtlasAero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #1263 of 1284 Old 07-25-2019, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tim Hess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I noticed they finally have a proper sale. Thinking if its time to pick of the 3010i for my small apt. This would be a good upgrade coming from Energy Take Classics 5.1? I could also wait for the Micca's RB42 to come back in stock next month.
The itch has been there but I decided I wanted to upgrade this week; I've been running an Orb Mod 2 (L/R/SR/SL) +Mod4 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Sub +Onkyo NR808 for close to decade now...main space is probably 12x18, sitting about 10' away from the 55"/mains)...I'm just tired of the sound...mids and lows...

Due to a change of layout and furniture (including color - browns and blacks ---> whites and greys), the Onkyo no longer fit so as a stop gap I nabbed a Pioneer vs-xs50 a few months ago; and while small in comparison to the Onkyo the orbs sounded much, much better...new tech voodoo, I don't know..but it made me notice (once again) how lacking the Orbs are, even tho they're great, especially when it comes to highs.

Anyway, a few hours ago I bit on a pair of 3021i + stands + the 3090Ci (L/R/C) +Polk Audio OWM3 Wall / Bookshelf Speakers (taking surrounds off stands and out of the way for wall mounting)....still unsure on the polks but they were cheap (and white, which is a style choice for the space I am trying to 'thin' out the space with the least in your face styles and color...think minimalist); granted the Qs are bigger than the orbs but meh.

Given the space and the sub I decided against the 3050i towers but was really tempted...it would be overkill as I don't listen loud due to neighbors.

Much of my choice was dictated by furniture, specifically the center channel HxW and color.

30 day MBG so why not. I'm assuming they are going to be a significant upgrade.
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.
Tim Hess is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1264 of 1284 Old 07-26-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post
+

The itch has been there but I decided I wanted to upgrade this week; I've been running an Orb Mod 2 (L/R/SR/SL) +Mod4 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Sub +Onkyo NR808 for close to decade now...main space is probably 12x18, sitting about 10' away from the 55"/mains)...I'm just tired of the sound...mids and lows...

Due to a change of layout and furniture (including color - browns and blacks ---> whites and greys), the Onkyo no longer fit so as a stop gap I nabbed a Pioneer vs-xs50 a few months ago; and while small in comparison to the Onkyo the orbs sounded much, much better...new tech voodoo, I don't know..but it made me notice (once again) how lacking the Orbs are, even tho they're great, especially when it comes to highs.

Anyway, a few hours ago I bit on a pair of 3021i + stands + the 3090Ci (L/R/C) +Polk Audio OWM3 Wall / Bookshelf Speakers (taking surrounds off stands and out of the way for wall mounting)....still unsure on the polks but they were cheap (and white, which is a style choice for the space I am trying to 'thin' out the space with the least in your face styles and color...think minimalist); granted the Qs are bigger than the orbs but meh.

Given the space and the sub I decided against the 3050i towers but was really tempted...it would be overkill as I don't listen loud due to neighbors.

Much of my choice was dictated by furniture, specifically the center channel HxW and color.

30 day MBG so why not. I'm assuming they are going to be a significant upgrade.
Looking forward to your impressions.
mpk1970 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1265 of 1284 Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
FYI: Last day for the QA sale! They don't put their speakers on sale very often, so if they interest you, now would be a good time.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #1266 of 1284 Old 08-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
FYI: Last day for the QA sale! They don't put their speakers on sale very often, so if they interest you, now would be a good time.

Did anyone purchase the Concept 40 for $849.99/pair?

If so, would you be willing to share your story? The Concept 40, QA's former flagship floorstanding loudspeaker, was released about 5 years ago. https://www.avforums.com/review/q-ac...s-review.10727





dbPlan is offline  
post #1267 of 1284 Old 08-15-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbPlan View Post
Did anyone purchase the Concept 40 for $849.99/pair?

If so, would you be willing to share your story? The Concept 40, QA's former flagship floorstanding loudspeaker, was released about 5 years ago.
Amazon reviews are dubious much of the time but this one seems legit.

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-Con...ustomerReviews

"I had been waiting for Q Acoustics to come to the U.S. for years, so when these speakers were available in July, I bought a pair in glossy white right away. I hooked these babies up to a NAD D 3020 integrated amp (35W per channel), but realized that the amp didn't have enough juice to power these to their full potential even though these are not power hungry speakers. Within a month, I purchased a Cambridge Audio CXA80 (80W per channel) amplifier, and it changed everything. I would highly recommend getting a more lively amp to balance out the smoothness of these speakers. I believe Q Acoustics uses the Arcam A49 for all its demos, but since this amp is over $6k and harder to find in the U.S., I went with the Cambridge Audio CXA80 (~$1k) after auditioning the Arcam A19 and the Cambridge Audio CXA60s. Please keep in mind that the amp can completely change the sound signature of hifi speakers, so don't skimp on the amp like I tried doing initially.

These speakers give my B&W CM9 S2's a run for their money when it comes to the sound. Obviously, the price point for the CM9s is much higher (over 3 times the cost), so it is not a fair comparison, but you get a lot of sound for a fraction of the cost. I personally think the balanced sound of these Concept 40s are more versatile and make all genres of music sound good even with a lower quality source file such as MP3, which isn't the case with my CM9s or KEF Q300s. For bass heads, you may need a separate subwoofer with the Concept 40s such as the SVS PB-2000 (recommended by Q Acoustics Rep).

For the price these are absolutely amazing floorstanders, even without the 5-10% discount and free pair of $100-150 high quality speaker cables that often are offered with these speakers. I would dare to say that these speakers could probably compete with speakers double their cost. They look beautiful in glossy white, and the construction quality is top notch. Try knocking on the speaker case and you will see what I mean about how solid these speakers are built, especially with the sound insulating technology that the Concept 20s and 40s are known for. The only downside is that these speakers do require careful positioning. Just make sure that you position them around 2 feet from the rear wall because these are rear ported and slightly toe them in towards your sweet spot listening position so that you create an equilateral triangle. You will also want to keep them about 4 feet from any side walls to prevent echoing. Trust me, by doing this, your soundstage will completely open up.

These speakers are so good that I am planning to purchase the Q Acoustics 3010 bookshelves to hook up to my NAD D 3020 for the home office during Black Friday. If you are like me and love music, but don't want to break the bank on a pair of excellent hi-fi speakers that don't have absurd markups due to the brand name like B&W and KEF, then pull the trigger and buy these ASAP.

I do recommend signing up for the e-mail newsletter at the Q Acoustics website because sometimes they will send you 5-10% discount codes that you can use. Please note that these discount codes can only be used when you purchase directly from the Q Acoustics' website and not through Amazon."


Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1268 of 1284 Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Member
 
Synomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Finally replaced my Polk S20 + S30 setup with Q Acoustics 3020i + 3090Ci.

The Polks are good, especially for movies, but I got tired of finding bubbles in the vinyl finish each time I was cleaning them / the AV system.


Decided to try the Q Acoustics setup. What I found is:
- Borrowed an A/B switch from someone and compared with a couple of movies and some music.
- Even without having re-run my Marantz NR1508's Audyssey calibration after swapping speakers the Q Acoustics setup sounds "clearer" or more crisp.
- Still surprisingly good with movies (haven't tried using the foam plugs yet to reduce the amount of bass coming from them) and even better when listening to music because of the more crisp sound.
- Surprised at how small the 3020i + 3090Ci are compared to the S20 + S30.
- I tried using the "free" QED XT25 cables, but did not hear a difference between those and the plain, 16ga speaker cables + mediabridge banana connectors I had been using. Boxed the QED XT25 back up and will be selling them.
- The white color is what I had been after since I started annoying the veterans here with my questions and posts last year. Finally have that with the Q Acoustics setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2610532  
Synomenon is offline  
post #1269 of 1284 Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synomenon View Post
Finally replaced my Polk S20 + S30 setup with Q Acoustics 3020i + 3090Ci.

The Polks are good, especially for movies, but I got tired of finding bubbles in the vinyl finish each time I was cleaning them / the AV system.


Decided to try the Q Acoustics setup. What I found is:
- Borrowed an A/B switch from someone and compared with a couple of movies and some music.
- Even without having re-run my Marantz NR1508's Audyssey calibration after swapping speakers the Q Acoustics setup sounds "clearer" or more crisp.
- Still surprisingly good with movies (haven't tried using the foam plugs yet to reduce the amount of bass coming from them) and even better when listening to music because of the more crisp sound.
- Surprised at how small the 3020i + 3090Ci are compared to the S20 + S30.
- I tried using the "free" QED XT25 cables, but did not hear a difference between those and the plain, 16ga speaker cables + mediabridge banana connectors I had been using. Boxed the QED XT25 back up and will be selling them.
- The white color is what I had been after since I started annoying the veterans here with my questions and posts last year. Finally have that with the Q Acoustics setup.
Thanks for the feeback; so the build quality was greater as well I take it?

Seems that the stands you bought for the very tall S20s are a bit low for the 3020is; might want to tilt them up a bit to compensate.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1270 of 1284 Old 09-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Member
 
Synomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The build quality of the Q Acoustics is definitely better than the Polks.

I have been trying to find something to raise or angle the 3020i's. I have some Audioengine DS2 desktop stands that I tried placing on top of the Pangea LS300 stands, but they angle the 3020i's too high.

I also tried using Kanto S4 desktop stands on top of the LS300's, but they kept tipping forward when I placed the 3020i's on them.

If I had a 3D printer I would print brackets that tilt them up around 10 degrees and hug the LS300 top plates on 3 sides and have screw holes that the 3020i's can be attached to.
Synomenon is offline  
post #1271 of 1284 Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi, I have a question about a Q 7000S subwoofer, which came as a part of the 5.1 set I bought quite a few years ago. It has two inputs - line level and high level. Its currently connected to my AV receiver through the line input. I would also like it to simultaneously connect it to my Rega Stereo amplifier through the high level input. Both will never play at the same time, but there's a chance they just might be powered on at the same time.

Does this make sense? Is it advisable, or will it end up frying something in the chain?

Thanks

LG OLED 65C7, Oppo UDP203, Denon X2000, Bluesound Node 2i, Rega Elex-R, Dynaudio Contour S1.4, QNAP Ts-453mini, Epson TW6600,
ankurcoop is offline  
post #1272 of 1284 Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I have the Polk RTiA1 and CSiA4 and the build quality on those is leaps and bounds better. Real wood veneer finish on the RTiA speakers is really nice.
100% this - a line that most people would probably consider as entry level having real wood veneer is phenomenal. The build quality on these speakers is really nice, and I am happy that I went with the RTi series instead of the Signatures.

The CSi A6 is on sale at a bunch of places right now. I was half-tempted to just get one, but reality slapped me in the face, and told me that the A4 I have is perfectly fine.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
Ryan Statz is online now  
post #1273 of 1284 Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurcoop View Post
Hi, I have a question about a Q 7000S subwoofer, which came as a part of the 5.1 set I bought quite a few years ago. It has two inputs - line level and high level. Its currently connected to my AV receiver through the line input. I would also like it to simultaneously connect it to my Rega Stereo amplifier through the high level input. Both will never play at the same time, but there's a chance they just might be powered on at the same time.

Does this make sense? Is it advisable, or will it end up frying something in the chain?

Thanks
Contact QA and be sure. Don't guess and don't rely on some internet yahoo for the answer. Rel allows this configuration, but most subs don't.

https://www.qacoustics.com/contact
ankurcoop likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #1274 of 1284 Old 09-11-2019, 05:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Contact QA and be sure. Don't guess and don't rely on some internet yahoo for the answer. Rel allows this configuration, but most subs don't.

https://www.qacoustics.com/contact
Thanks. I did write to them but on some other contact site (I think their parent company has one covering all their brands). Will also write to them on this one. Will report back what they say.

Was hoping someone had gone down this path before.

LG OLED 65C7, Oppo UDP203, Denon X2000, Bluesound Node 2i, Rega Elex-R, Dynaudio Contour S1.4, QNAP Ts-453mini, Epson TW6600,
ankurcoop is offline  
post #1275 of 1284 Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurcoop View Post
Thanks. I did write to them but on some other contact site (I think their parent company has one covering all their brands). Will also write to them on this one. Will report back what they say.

Was hoping someone had gone down this path before.
Consider trying this address/procedure: https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/contactus
The UK is 5 hours ahead, so keep that in mind.

Curious, did you try sending a private message? Any response?
ankurcoop likes this.
dbPlan is offline  
post #1276 of 1284 Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbPlan View Post
Consider trying this address/procedure: https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/contactus
The UK is 5 hours ahead, so keep that in mind.

Curious, did you try sending a private message? Any response?
They responded (pretty quickly, I thought).

To my question of whether I can connect two amplifiers simultaneously to the high and line inputs:

QA: We do not foresee any issues other than you must ensure that you do not have both the amplifier and receiver on at the same time; you must ensure that one is turned off before using the other.

I probed a little more:

"Is the core issue here that they shouldnt be playing at the same time, or that they shouldn't be switched on at the same time?

Since they are in the same room, its pretty much impossible that they will be playing at the same. However, inadvertently, if one is on (without anything playing) while the other is playing, will that put the equipment at risk as well? For example, on occasion, my Universal remote does not switch off the AV receiver after I've stopped watching something on TV. However, no audio is passing through it. If at that time, the stereo amplifier is switched on, will that create an issue?"

Their response:

QA: The main issue would be if the subwoofer receives a signal from both at the same time, however we would suggest that you check with the AVR/receiver manufacturers for their advice on their products to ensure safe operation.

I couldn't have expected more in terms of quality and promptness of response.
Theetjuh and dbPlan like this.

LG OLED 65C7, Oppo UDP203, Denon X2000, Bluesound Node 2i, Rega Elex-R, Dynaudio Contour S1.4, QNAP Ts-453mini, Epson TW6600,
ankurcoop is offline  
post #1277 of 1284 Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurcoop View Post
They responded (pretty quickly, I thought).

To my question of whether I can connect two amplifiers simultaneously to the high and line inputs:

QA: We do not foresee any issues other than you must ensure that you do not have both the amplifier and receiver on at the same time; you must ensure that one is turned off before using the other.

I probed a little more:

"Is the core issue here that they shouldnt be playing at the same time, or that they shouldn't be switched on at the same time?

Since they are in the same room, its pretty much impossible that they will be playing at the same. However, inadvertently, if one is on (without anything playing) while the other is playing, will that put the equipment at risk as well? For example, on occasion, my Universal remote does not switch off the AV receiver after I've stopped watching something on TV. However, no audio is passing through it. If at that time, the stereo amplifier is switched on, will that create an issue?"

Their response:

QA: The main issue would be if the subwoofer receives a signal from both at the same time, however we would suggest that you check with the AVR/receiver manufacturers for their advice on their products to ensure safe operation.

I couldn't have expected more in terms of quality and promptness of response.
I went through with this. I connected the subwoofer out from the Denon AVR amp to the Q Acoustics subwoofer low level input, and the Rega stereo amp speaker outs were connected in parallel to the high level outs. Both are working beautifully. My Dynaudio stand mounts have strong bass support now.

I even took the risk of turning on and playing audio from the Denon and Rega simulatneously. Nothing blew up for the ten seconds that I let both go on. Its a big relief. Lets see how this goes.

LG OLED 65C7, Oppo UDP203, Denon X2000, Bluesound Node 2i, Rega Elex-R, Dynaudio Contour S1.4, QNAP Ts-453mini, Epson TW6600,
ankurcoop is offline  
post #1278 of 1284 Old 10-08-2019, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Q Acoustics introduces a 12" sub:

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/q-acoustics-qb12
Ryan Statz and Jeeriko like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #1279 of 1284 Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
IDK, a 16wx16hx18d 200 watt sealed sub with 28hz extension for the equivalent of about $600 doesn't sound like it will compete with sealed subs available here in the US.



300watts =12w13h13d= 27 lbs 10" [24hz] $399 MARTIN LOGAN DYNAMO 700W, limited time offer Amazon.
NOTE: WIRELESS TRANSMITTER INCLUDED

300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

500watts =13w16h17d= 50 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH MTS10 THX

300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1280 of 1284 Old 10-11-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
IDK, a 16wx16hx18d 200 watt sealed sub with 28hz extension for the equivalent of about $600 doesn't sound like it will compete with sealed subs available here in the US.



300watts =12w13h13d= 27 lbs 10" [24hz] $399 MARTIN LOGAN DYNAMO 700W, limited time offer Amazon.
NOTE: WIRELESS TRANSMITTER INCLUDED

300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

500watts =13w16h17d= 50 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH MTS10 THX

300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight
Their primary market is NOT the U.S., but Europe. Over there, a bottom of the line SVS costs $700. They would be competing with BK and XTZ, on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Also remember that homes are smaller over there, so they do not need the massive capabilities of a U.S. sized great room.

As to the 28 Hz lower end spec, I was a bit surprised at that, as well, but it's a sealed design, so the drop off would be less steep below that spec. It's not like a ported sub, where it drops off the table. I suspect that in the typically small European room, it will get room reinforcement, and real output in the range of 20Hz, or thereabouts.

So, just another product NOT aimed at the US market. They are nothing, if not consistent. Hey, I'm not holding my breath for that 6.5" MTM center channel, either!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #1281 of 1284 Old 10-11-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Their primary market is NOT the U.S., but Europe. Over there, a bottom of the line SVS costs $700. They would be competing with BK and XTZ, on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Also remember that homes are smaller over there, so they do not need the massive capabilities of a U.S. sized great room.

As to the 28 Hz lower end spec, I was a bit surprised at that, as well, but it's a sealed design, so the drop off will be less steep below that spec. It's not like a ported sub, where it drops off the table. I suspect that in the typically small European room, it will get room reinforcement, and real output in the range of 20Hz, or thereabouts.

So, just another product NOT aimed at the US market. They are consistent. Not holding my breath for that 6.5" MTM center channel, either!
Well, it is actually larger than comparable 12" sealed subs in the US which is a bit odd.

The BKE 12" is identical in size though, cheaper, digs deeper, (claimed), and has twice the power.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400FF.htm

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1282 of 1284 Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Well, it is actually larger than comparable 12" sealed subs in the US which is a bit odd.

The BKE 12" is identical in size though, cheaper, digs deeper, (claimed), and has twice the power.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400FF.htm
Yeah, the BK looks better on paper, but if the reviewer was accurate, the QA has very tight and clean bass (and I suspect this to be true, given their house sound), so would be the superior sounding product. In any case, just having it available to pair with their HT systems will make it a win for them, as most folks like to one-stop-shop.

BTW, as of yesterday, the sub was not on the US site for purchase. Who knows if or when it will be available here.
Ryan Statz likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #1283 of 1284 Old 10-11-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Yeah, the BK looks better on paper, but if the reviewer was accurate, the QA has very tight and clean bass (and I suspect this to be true, given their house sound), so would be the superior sounding product. In any case, just having it available to pair with their HT systems will make it a win for them, as most folks like to one-stop-shop.

BTW, as of yesterday, the sub was not on the US site for purchase. Who knows if or when it will be available here.
Checking Richer Sounds in the UK I see they now carry the SVS SB1000 (and PB1000) for 519 UK Pounds so it seems that in the UK there are now some decent alternatives.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1284 of 1284 Old 10-11-2019, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajca View Post
checking richer sounds in the uk i see they now carry the svs sb1000 (and pb1000) for 519 uk pounds so it seems that in the uk there are now some decent alternatives.
$649 u.s.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off