Q Acoustics Owner's Thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 569Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1321 of 1384 Old 11-07-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smufter View Post
Everything up and running now Geoff, and really happy with how it's all working together.
7000i's a definite improvement over my old Tannoys, center speaker especially. Dialogue is much crisper, sounds less "wooly" than it did before.
The wall mounting of the sub went well, and the sound is not too bad at all. I ended up buying a pair of center speaker wall brackets and the sub fits on them a treat. Few blobs of blu tack on the arms of the brackets to both help secure the sub in place and to dampen any vibrations. Looks a lot neater where it is, rather than on the floor.
Just got a little tidying up to do, fill the holes where my old Tannoys were wall mounted, fresh lick of paint, and it will look even better. Also just got to hide the cabling up a little better and we're good to go. Once that's done, I'll take a couple of pics to show you how it all looks.
Rob
Excellent Rob.

What model number were your old Tannoys?

The 7000i seems to be an under appreciated gem but, at least here in the US, not at full msrp.

When introduced they were a bargain at $499 for the 5.0 setup; now they want a ridiculous $790 which is why you should wait till they discount them back to $500 periodically.

$100/speaker is a good deal but at $158/speaker, (or $316/pair), they are more expensive than the 3020i which is currently $315/pair.

At least in the US Q Acoustics has destroyed their once logical and value oriented pricing that existed before Steve Reichert retired.

He's the one that put Q Acoustics on the map in the US especially when he sent out about a dozen sets of speakers to willing AVS members to test and comment on and then return.

In my case the Concept 20s I tested, (then $430/pair), were bought by my friend.

Excellent speakers but now they want $525/pair which is excessive IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1322 of 1384 Old 11-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey folks. I'm now on the third set of speakers I'm home auditioning. Tried out the NHT C-3 bookshelves with a C-LCR center and returned them. Just seemed too bright to me. Been listening to the RSL CG5s paired with a CG25 center and a Speedwoofer 10S sub. Very impressive. But then something special happened this afternoon: i received a pair Concept 40s and a Concept Center from Amazon. Hooked them up, ran Audyssey...And, wow! I can't believe how good they sound, the clarity, detail, imaging and the smoothness of the top end. I'm finding it hard to believe that such puny little things can make such good sound. I thought I'd just pop in and mention that and see if any of you have any setup recommendations you might make. Right now, I have the speakers placed 8' apart and 12" away from the front wall, toed-in towards the MLP which is 10.5' from the speakers. I foam-bunged the floorstanders but not the center. The two immediate questions I have: Do you think I'd get a wider soundstage if I have the speakers facing straight out, and should I plug the port on the center speaker too? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
gajCA likes this.
jhumur is offline  
post #1323 of 1384 Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Excellent Rob.

What model number were your old Tannoys?

The 7000i seems to be an under appreciated gem but, at least here in the US, not at full msrp.

When introduced they were a bargain at $499 for the 5.0 setup; now they want a ridiculous $790 which is why you should wait till they discount them back to $500 periodically.

$100/speaker is a good deal but at $158/speaker, (or $316/pair), they are more expensive than the 3020i which is currently $315/pair.

At least in the US Q Acoustics has destroyed their once logical and value oriented pricing that existed before Steve Reichert retired.

He's the one that put Q Acoustics on the map in the US especially when he sent out about a dozen sets of speakers to willing AVS members to test and comment on and then return.

In my case the Concept 20s I tested, (then $430/pair), were bought by my friend.

Excellent speakers but now they want $525/pair which is excessive IMHO.
Tannoys were the HTS-101XP'S.
The recommended retail price of the 7000i system over here is £999.00 ($1,286.00)!!.....
Nobody ever pays full rrp though (unless it is on something like an Apple or Bose product).
But with petrol over here running at approx $7.50 a gallon, you can see how we're well looked after.
Smufter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1324 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 08:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
3050i vs Concept 40?

Hey All,
I'm interested in some Q Acoustics floorstanders. I'm not familiar with the brand but I'm intrigued based on all the rave reviews.
Can anyone help me clarify what the key differences are between the 3050i and Concept 40? I can see the driver size is smaller on the Concept 40, and it has different cabinet construction. I'm just trying to understand why it's ~$200 more expensive than the 3050i even though it is a much older design.
Separately, does Q Acoustics do Black Friday discounts? Anyone know if they'll have anything on sale for 2019?
Appreciate any input.
aaronarchy is offline  
post #1325 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
Hey All,
I'm interested in some Q Acoustics floorstanders. I'm not familiar with the brand but I'm intrigued based on all the rave reviews.
Can anyone help me clarify what the key differences are between the 3050i and Concept 40? I can see the driver size is smaller on the Concept 40, and it has different cabinet construction. I'm just trying to understand why it's ~$200 more expensive than the 3050i even though it is a much older design.
Separately, does Q Acoustics do Black Friday discounts? Anyone know if they'll have anything on sale for 2019?
Appreciate any input.
I'm listening to a pair of Concept 40s right now, and I have to say I'm quite impressed by them. Now, I have to preface this by saying that I am by no means an audiophile, but I've heard my share of good speakers. I also just got done auditioning a set of NHT C-3s and a set of RSL CG5/CG25s at home over the last few weeks. Compared to those at least, Concept 40s are in a different league altogether. The clarity, detail and imaging are something else. I played an episode of Blue Planet II 4K for my family last night. I was simply amazed. Even at the relatively low levels that we normally play our TV, we could hear the clacking and shuffling sound the crabs made as they clawed their way across the sea-bottom. Not just that, you could clearly identify and track the individual clacks across the space. You could hear the faint whoosh of the pectoral fins of a seahorse as it glided through water! Even my family members, who're normally quite unmoved by good sound--to them, sound is just sound--were impressed. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by jhumur; 11-08-2019 at 10:25 AM.
jhumur is offline  
post #1326 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
Hey folks. I'm now on the third set of speakers I'm home auditioning. Tried out the NHT C-3 bookshelves with a C-LCR center and returned them. Just seemed too bright to me. Been listening to the RSL CG5s paired with a CG25 center and a Speedwoofer 10S sub. Very impressive. But then something special happened this afternoon: i received a pair Concept 40s and a Concept Center from Amazon. Hooked them up, ran Audyssey...And, wow! I can't believe how good they sound, the clarity, detail, imaging and the smoothness of the top end. I'm finding it hard to believe that such puny little things can make such good sound. I thought I'd just pop in and mention that and see if any of you have any setup recommendations you might make. Right now, I have the speakers placed 8' apart and 12" away from the front wall, toed-in towards the MLP which is 10.5' from the speakers. I foam-bunged the floorstanders but not the center. The two immediate questions I have: Do you think I'd get a wider soundstage if I have the speakers facing straight out, and should I plug the port on the center speaker too? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Wow, that's some stiff competition for the Concepts.

But your reaction is the same as mine when I compared the Concept 20s to my Martin Logan LX16s and older model B&W CM1 Concept 90s which in their day were three times the price.

The Concept 20s were every bit as good.

Some have opined that the Concept center might be a weak link due to its relatively small size but I'm glad to hear that you, just like pro reviewers, have not found that to be the case.

If you are crossing the Concepts over to a sub no real need to use the bungs unless they are placed very near a wall or the center is in a cabinet.

Thanks for the comparison to the NHT C3s in particular as they measure very very well.

I think the Concept 40s, especially when on sale, are a real sleeper of a speaker.

Enjoy.

I'm going to guess that toeing in the speakers will sound better, especially if the side walls are close by.
snowx800 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1327 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
Hey All,
I'm interested in some Q Acoustics floorstanders. I'm not familiar with the brand but I'm intrigued based on all the rave reviews.
Can anyone help me clarify what the key differences are between the 3050i and Concept 40? I can see the driver size is smaller on the Concept 40, and it has different cabinet construction. I'm just trying to understand why it's ~$200 more expensive than the 3050i even though it is a much older design.
Separately, does Q Acoustics do Black Friday discounts? Anyone know if they'll have anything on sale for 2019?
Appreciate any input.
Despite the smaller drivers, with a subwoofer in play, and with the idea that you will have them for 10+ years I'd get the Concept 40s.

The tweeter placement is naturally more at ear level, the cabinet is more inert, and pro reviews and AVS member reviews have been more universally lauded.

Plus they look better and, without question, the center channel is a better design than the 3000 series center.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1328 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
I'm listening to a pair of Concept 40s right now, and I have to say I'm quite impressed by them. Now, I have to preface this by saying that I am by no means an audiophile, but I've heard my share of good speakers. I also just got done auditioning a set of NHT C-3s and a set of RSL CG5/CG25s at home over the last few weeks. Compared to those at least, Concept 40s are in a different league altogether. The clarity, detail and imaging are something else. I played an episode of Blue Planet II 4K for my family last night. I was simply amazed Even at the relatively low levels that we normally play our TV, we could hear the clacking and shuffling sound the crabs made with their claws as they scuttled across the sea-bottom. Not just that, you could clearly identify and track the individual clacks across the space. You could hear the faint whoosh of the pectoral fins of a seahorse as it glided through water! Even my family members, who're normally quite unmoved by good sound--to them, sound is just sound--were impressed. Take that for what it's worth.
Thanks for the reply. How long ago did you get the Concept 40s? Did you buy them before the 3050i was released?
How do you like them for music listening?
aaronarchy is offline  
post #1329 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Despite the smaller drivers, with a subwoofer in play, and with the idea that you will have them for 10+ years I'd get the Concept 40s.

The tweeter placement is naturally more at ear level, the cabinet is more inert, and pro reviews and AVS member reviews have been more universally lauded.

Plus they look better and, without question, the center channel is a better design than the 3000 series center.
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I am planning to add a sub, so music listening would be a 2.1 setup.
Curious, have you heard new 3050i? It also has some strong praise among reviewers. Unfortunately there are no dealers with me so I can't audition either speaker. I do agree the Concepts have a better appearance, and tweeter placement makes more sense than the 3050i.
aaronarchy is offline  
post #1330 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
Thanks for the reply. How long ago did you get the Concept 40s? Did you buy them before the 3050i was released?
How do you like them for music listening?
I just got them yesterday. Set them up and listened to them for a few hours last night. There's a lot more listening to be done, obviously, but my initial impression is extremely positive. Haven't tried dedicated music listening yet, but I'll do that tonight and report back.
gajCA likes this.

Last edited by jhumur; 11-08-2019 at 10:39 AM.
jhumur is offline  
post #1331 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I am planning to add a sub, so music listening would be a 2.1 setup.
Curious, have you heard new 3050i? It also has some strong praise among reviewers. Unfortunately there are no dealers with me so I can't audition either speaker. I do agree the Concepts have a better appearance, and tweeter placement makes more sense than the 3050i.
Zorba did test the original 3020 bookshelves vs the Concept 20 bookshelves and preferred the latter overall.

None of the new 3000i series make any allusions towards them surpassing the Concepts in fact the $60000/pair Concept 500 speakers build upon the work started in the original Concept series.

Some measurements, albeit from 2 different sources of the 3050i and Concepts.

In the second link page forward to pages 24/25 to see the Concept writeup and measurements. The seem to lack the mid range dip the 3050is have and they preferred the Concept 40s to the excellent to my ear Concept 20s.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153

https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview/6

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1332 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I am planning to add a sub, so music listening would be a 2.1 setup.
Curious, have you heard new 3050i? It also has some strong praise among reviewers. Unfortunately there are no dealers with me so I can't audition either speaker. I do agree the Concepts have a better appearance, and tweeter placement makes more sense than the 3050i.
And yes, Q Acoustics always has holiday sales/black friday sales in the US and I have seen the Concept 40s as low as $800/pair at those times.

This year likely $850 or so is my guess.

The quality of construction is first rate BTW.

Here are some photos I took of the Concept 20s when I tested them a few years back, (my friend has them now).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Q Acoustics.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	2638300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Q Acoustics (2).JPG
Views:	15
Size:	591.3 KB
ID:	2638302  

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1333 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
And yes, Q Acoustics always has holiday sales/black friday sales in the US and I have seen the Concept 40s as low as $800/pair at those times.

This year likely $850 or so is my guess.

The quality of construction is first rate BTW.

Here are some photos I took of the Concept 20s when I tested them a few years back, (my friend has them now).
Thank you for the info, this is appreciated. Looks like Concept 40 will be my choice. I'll wait a couple weeks and hope that they go on sale for the holiday (along with the center channel).
aaronarchy is offline  
post #1334 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Wow, that's some stiff competition for the Concepts.

But your reaction is the same as mine when I compared the Concept 20s to my Martin Logan LX16s and older model B&W CM1 Concept 90s which in their day were three times the price.

The Concept 20s were every bit as good.

Some have opined that the Concept center might be a weak link due to its relatively small size but I'm glad to hear that you, just like pro reviewers, have not found that to be the case.

If you are crossing the Concepts over to a sub no real need to use the bungs unless they are placed very near a wall or the center is in a cabinet.

Thanks for the comparison to the NHT C3s in particular as they measure very very well.

I think the Concept 40s, especially when on sale, are a real sleeper of a speaker.

Enjoy.

I'm going to guess that toeing in the speakers will sound better, especially if the side walls are close by.
Yes, I think I picked out three very good speakers for home auditioning, and given the constraints of a harried schedule, feel the Concept 40s won out. In a different space, with a different setup (an external amp, for example), and perhaps with the passage of time, I might have felt differently, but at least for now the Concept 40s are the right answer.

Yes, I was unsure about the center speaker. It's so tiny it looks like a toy sitting between the 40s, like one of those portable BT speakers, lol. I couldn't imagine how they'd carry the weight that's demanded of a center channel speaker. I was quite surprised when they first came on though. Maybe at higher volumes they'll lose some their composure, but at my listening levels which tend to run between -30 to -15 dB depending on content and if I have Dynamic Volume turned on or not, they're quite impressive.

I still have the RSLs here so I'm borrowing the sub from there to use with the Concepts, and I'm crossing over at 80 Hz. The rear of the speakers are 12" away from the wall and the nearer of the two is 4.5' away from the side wall. So I should unbung the holes then? (Forgive my not-so-subtle reference to Beavis and Butt-Head.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
And yes, Q Acoustics always has holiday sales/black friday sales in the US and I have seen the Concept 40s as low as $800/pair at those times.

This year likely $850 or so is my guess.

The quality of construction is first rate BTW.

Here are some photos I took of the Concept 20s when I tested them a few years back, (my friend has them now).
I was going to ask you this same question. I paid full price for the Concepts: $1050 for the 40s and $325 for the center, plus tax. If they do offer a sale on Black Friday, I hope they'll be willing to adjust the prices for me.
jhumur is offline  
post #1335 of 1384 Old 11-08-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
Yes, I think I picked out three very good speakers for home auditioning, and given the constraints of a harried schedule, feel the Concept 40s won out. In a different space, with a different setup (an external amp, for example), and perhaps with the passage of time, I might have felt differently, but at least for now the Concept 40s are the right answer.

Yes, I was unsure about the center speaker. It's so tiny it looks like a toy sitting between the 40s, like one of those portable BT speakers, lol. I couldn't imagine how they'd carry the weight that's demanded of a center channel speaker. I was quite surprised when they first came on though. Maybe at higher volumes they'll lose some their composure, but at my listening levels which tend to run between -30 to -15 dB depending on content and if I have Dynamic Volume turned on or not, they're quite impressive.

I still have the RSLs here so I'm borrowing the sub from there to use with the Concepts, and I'm crossing over at 80 Hz. The rear of the speakers are 12" away from the wall and the nearer of the two is 4.5' away from the side wall. So I should unbung the holes then? (Forgive my not-so-subtle reference to Beavis and Butt-Head.)

I was going to ask you this same question. I paid full price for the Concepts: $1050 for the 40s and $325 for the center, plus tax. If they do offer a sale on Black Friday, I hope they'll be willing to adjust the prices for me.
Probably makes no difference having the bungs in or not when crossed to a sub at 80hz as ports operate below that frequency.

I doubt you'll get a refund from Q Acoustics when the Concepts inevitably go on sale again.
jhumur likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1336 of 1384 Old 11-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Probably makes no difference having the bungs in or not when crossed to a sub at 80hz as ports operate below that frequency.

I doubt you'll get a refund from Q Acoustics when the Concepts inevitably go on sale again.
I might have to just return them after the auditioning period and re-buy. I'll give them the option. It should be to their advantage to do a price adjustment. All that assuming that the sales do come and in the proper course of time.
jhumur is offline  
post #1337 of 1384 Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
I might have to just return them after the auditioning period and re-buy. I'll give them the option. It should be to their advantage to do a price adjustment. All that assuming that the sales do come and in the proper course of time.
I believe they are in Atlanta so if you are nearby easy enough to return but otherwise it might cost several hundred dollars in return shipping.
jhumur likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1338 of 1384 Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I believe they are in Atlanta so if you are nearby easy enough to return but otherwise it might cost several hundred dollars in return shipping.
Actually, I bought them through their Amazon store where they offer a 30-day trial period and free shipping both ways. Nice, no?
jhumur is offline  
post #1339 of 1384 Old 11-10-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
Actually, I bought them through their Amazon store where they offer a 30-day trial period and free shipping both ways. Nice, no?
Wow, really?

That's worth the "new higher prices"!

I'm starting to get a bit aggravated with Q Acoustics and their insane idea that they can raise pricing more than 5 percent on products that have been out for years.

In the US that doesn't fly at all and I don't want them to shoot themselves in the foot and leave the market as they make some great stuff.

But their marketing sucks and pricing is a big part of that.

Name another brand that raises prices without making some effort at "new and improved"?
jhumur likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1340 of 1384 Old 11-10-2019, 09:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Wow, really?

That's worth the "new higher prices"!

I'm starting to get a bit aggravated with Q Acoustics and their insane idea that they can raise pricing more than 5 percent on products that have been out for years.

In the US that doesn't fly at all and I don't want them to shoot themselves in the foot and leave the market as they make some great stuff.

But their marketing sucks and pricing is a big part of that.

Name another brand that raises prices without making some effort at "new and improved"?
This was one reason I was inquiring about the 3050i vs Concept 40. The Concept 40 is ~5 years old, yet still commands a higher price point (I believe it's about the same as the original MSRP?). From an engineering standpoint, one of the biggest cost drivers with speakers is the R&D cost invested in their development, which is amortized into their sale price. Certainly after 5 years they would have paid off this investment and could reduce the MSRP.
Curious, what speaker are you referring to that they actually raised the pricing?

Last edited by aaronarchy; 11-10-2019 at 09:46 AM.
aaronarchy is offline  
post #1341 of 1384 Old 11-10-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
This was one reason I was inquiring about the 3050i vs Concept 40. The Concept 40 is ~5 years old, yet still commands a higher price point (I believe it's about the same as the original MSRP?). From an engineering standpoint, one of the biggest cost drivers with speakers is the R&D cost invested in their development, which is amortized into their sale price. Certainly after 5 years they would have paid off this investment and could reduce the MSRP.
Curious, what speaker are you referring to that they actually raised the pricing?
I guess it's really only the Concept 20s that they've really jacked the price up of, but tossing in the stands that is reduced, (the stands are excellent, I own them).

I haven't included the 3000i series as they are new but here are the prices since introduction.

The Concept 40s are less than when introduced as are the 3000 series.


2016 2018 2019

2010 $130 $150 15% n/a
2020 $160 $180 13% n/a

3010 $180 $200 11% $210 5%
3020 $250 $290 16% $230 -21%

C20 $430 $500 16% $525 5%
C CENTER $270 $310 15% $325 5%
C20+STANDS $650 $650 0% $683 5%

C40 $1,200 $1,200 0% $1,050 -13%

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1342 of 1384 Old 11-10-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,121
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Chinese tariffs finally kicking in ...

@Smufter More listening impressions from the 7000i package, if you please!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #1343 of 1384 Old 11-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Chinese tariffs finally kicking in ...

@Smufter More listening impressions from the 7000i package, if you please!
This is actually a true statement and could contribute to the fluctuation prices we're seeing. For example, I was considering a pair of Paradigm Monitor SE 6000f, which are made in China instead of Canada like the rest of the Paradigm line. Recently they increased the MSRP from $450/ea to $499/ea. When I inquired with Paradigm they told me this was directly related to mitigating the increase in tariffs from China.
I'm assuming Q Acoustics are also made in China?
aaronarchy is offline  
post #1344 of 1384 Old 11-10-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
This is actually a true statement and could contribute to the fluctuation prices we're seeing. For example, I was considering a pair of Paradigm Monitor SE 6000f, which are made in China instead of Canada like the rest of the Paradigm line. Recently they increased the MSRP from $450/ea to $499/ea. When I inquired with Paradigm they told me this was directly related to mitigating the increase in tariffs from China.
I'm assuming Q Acoustics are also made in China?
Yes, the Concept 20s I tested that my friend has were made in China.

Top notch quality; every bit as good as the JBLs made in the US I bought back in the 70s or the B&Ws I bought in the 80s that were made in the UK.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1345 of 1384 Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Chinese tariffs finally kicking in ...

@Smufter More listening impressions from the 7000i package, if you please!
Hi RayGuy
Still fairly early days yet mate, but so far I am very impressed with them. My main "gripe" with the previous Tannoys was with the center speaker. Sometimes, things just sounded a little "wooly?" and it was difficult to hear some dialogue at times. The center on the 7000i's is much (much) better. Crisper, and more precise. The whole sound stage is now more open, the Tannoy's were a little directional.
We don't listen to music much in the living room, so can't comment really on how they handle that, it's more just general TV and film, (both disk and streamed) but as I say, more than happy.
I've just got a little more tweaking to do with the settings I think, as the sub is not performing as well as the Tannoys. I have read that this is the weak link in the system, but I'm hoping it's my settings rather than an inherent problem. Been busy at work for the last week or two, but have a day off tomorrow (Tuesday) so with the house quiet (everybody else is at work!) I'll have a play around. I might even dig out my Audyssey set up mike.... if I can find it after all this time.
RayGuy likes this.
Smufter is offline  
post #1346 of 1384 Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Yes, the Concept 20s I tested that my friend has were made in China.

Top notch quality; every bit as good as the JBLs made in the US I bought back in the 70s or the B&Ws I bought in the 80s that were made in the UK.
There is a misconception that "made in China" equates to poor quality, which just objectively isn't true. Of course there are examples of cheaply made products from China (and any country), but the quality of the product is really a reflection on the standards imposed by the OEM on the production facility, not the country of origin. Everything from Apple to many of the components found in cars comes from China. They are more than capable of producing top shelf products that can meet tight tolerances if that's what is specified and enforced by the OEM. It's when there are lax quality standards that issues arise.
Curious, has anyone ever taken apart a Q-acoustics loudspeaker to examine the internal components and cabinetry?
gajCA and jhumur like this.
aaronarchy is offline  
post #1347 of 1384 Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Will the 3000i series change significantly in 2020? I’m debating on picking up a 5.1 3010i system on Black Friday or wait until next year when I upgrade my AVR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is offline  
post #1348 of 1384 Old 11-11-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Will the 3000i series change significantly in 2020? I’m debating on picking up a 5.1 3010i system on Black Friday or wait until next year when I upgrade my AVR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't expect a 3000 series change for at least 2 years.

I think they'll change the Concept 20/40 before then.
helvetica bold likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1349 of 1384 Old 11-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Wow, that's some stiff competition for the Concepts....
I switched back to the RSL CG5 bookshelves and the CG25 center yesterday, Geoff. I have to say the RSL do present a fuller sound. Especially true of the CG25. No surprise, I guess, given the bigger drivers and the substantially beefier enclosure. I mean, if the Q Acoustics Concept Center were a brick, CG25 would be a concrete cinder block. The Q Acoustics sound more laid back in comparison. But the RSLs definitely don't image as beautifully as the Q Acoustics do. Maybe it has something to do with my room. Who knows.
jhumur is offline  
post #1350 of 1384 Old 11-11-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
I switched back to the RSL CG5 bookshelves and the CG25 center yesterday, Geoff. I have to say the RSL do present a fuller sound. Especially true of the CG25. No surprise, I guess, given the bigger drivers and the substantially beefier enclosure. I mean, if the Q Acoustics Concept Center were a brick, CG25 would be a concrete cinder block. The Q Acoustics sound more laid back in comparison. But the RSLs definitely don't image as beautifully as the Q Acoustics do. Maybe it has something to do with my room. Who knows.
I would definitely expect a fuller sound from a larger dual 5.25" center than a dual 4" center, no question.

The CG5 series from RSL is a big step up for them from what I've read.

But crossed over to a sub at their appropriate crossover points, (80hz for the larger center, 100hz for the smaller center), the differences would be less dramatic.

At least that has been my personal experience with my dual 4" center in my secondary room (Martin Logan Motion 8) and the dual 7" center in my main room, (Usher V603 with raised tweeter).

The raised tweeter design in the Concept center, however, is a better design across multiple seating locations, at least in theory.
jhumur likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off