Q Acoustics Owner's Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 594Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 1458 Old 01-05-2020, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,271
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbPlan View Post
FYI: John Atkinson (Stereophile) reviews the Concept 300 at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...00-loudspeaker.
Not exactly a glowing review there.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 1458 Old 01-10-2020, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Kipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone compared a front 3 of Concert 20/center/20 with the Q stands, vs a front 3 of 3050i/3090ci/3050i? Any recommendations? I want to order one of these combinations for our home theater (100% movies, 8 foot seating distance, 3500ft^3 room, SB12-NSD, low-mid listening volumes).

Kipa
Kipa is offline  
post #1443 of 1458 Old 01-10-2020, 05:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All

Very excited as i recently picked up a new pair of 3050i's.

I am now looking for a new 2 channel amp run the speakers for music only.

I have narrowed it down to the following 3 which are in my price range.

Rega Brio 2017
Audiolab 6000a
Cambridge cxa60

I am really keen to hear from other 3050 or 3050i owners who may be running the speakers with any of the amps above. If so what are thoughts on the pairing? Curious to hear views on which one may the best fit for the speakers.

Would appreciate any feedback anyone could provide to help inform my decision.

Thanks
Jay
Cjam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1444 of 1458 Old 01-10-2020, 06:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Q Acoustics adds the bass enhanced 3030i standmount speaker to its 3000i

The Q Acoustics 3030i will be available from February 2020, priced at £329 / €399 / $399

https://qacousticsnewsroom.com/2020/...t-loudspeaker/


Enclosure type: 2-way reflex
Bass unit: 165 mm (6.5 in)
Treble unit: 22 mm (0.9 in)
Frequency response (+/-3 dB, -6 dB): 46 Hz – 30 kHz
Average impedance: 6 Ω
Minimum impedance: 4 Ω
Sensitivity ([email protected]): 88 dB
Stereo amplifier power: 25 – 75 W
AV receiver power (2 ch. driven): 50 – 145 W
Crossover frequency: 2.4 kHz
Effective volume: 12.5 L (763 cu in)
Enclosure dimensions (WxHxD)(inc. grille, terminal and feet) : 200 x 325 x 329 mm (7.9 x 12.8 x 13.0 in)
Weight (per speaker): 6.4 kg (14.1 lbs)
helvetica bold likes this.
Jeeriko is online now  
post #1445 of 1458 Old 01-10-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,271
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeriko View Post
Q Acoustics adds the bass enhanced 3030i standmount speaker to its 3000i

The Q Acoustics 3030i will be available from February 2020, priced at £329 / €399 / $399
Years ago we wondered on this thread why they weren't doing this as well as why they didn't have a "real" 20 hz sub, (the new Q Acoustics Q B12 sub still doesn't get below 28hz), and why they don't offer dual 5.5" center speakers.

The explanation for many of these things are the small size of UK homes and their current centers being designed to be the size of an A/V receiver.

Hopefully a new center(s) with larger drivers are next in the pipeline.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #1446 of 1458 Old 01-11-2020, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjam View Post
Hi All

Very excited as i recently picked up a new pair of 3050i's.

I am now looking for a new 2 channel amp run the speakers for music only.

I have narrowed it down to the following 3 which are in my price range.

Rega Brio 2017
Audiolab 6000a
Cambridge cxa60


I am really keen to hear from other 3050 or 3050i owners who may be running the speakers with any of the amps above. If so what are thoughts on the pairing? Curious to hear views on which one may the best fit for the speakers.

Would appreciate any feedback anyone could provide to help inform my decision.

Thanks
Jay

Hi, Jay. Congratulations on your new speakers. You've selected some fine integrated amplifiers.

Here's a thought: Strongly consider testing all 3 amplifiers in your listening room, with your well-recorded music, and with your speakers.

I've never heard the 3050i, but I do own the Concept 20 (not quite 4 years now)—and I like to rotate amps just for fun.

Enjoy.

Last edited by dbPlan; 01-11-2020 at 10:46 PM.
dbPlan is offline  
post #1447 of 1458 Old 01-11-2020, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Years ago we wondered on this thread why they weren't doing this as well as why they didn't have a "real" 20 hz sub, (the new Q Acoustics Q B12 sub still doesn't get below 28hz), and why they don't offer dual 5.5" center speakers.

The explanation for many of these things are the small size of UK homes and their current centers being designed to be the size of an A/V receiver.

Hopefully a new center(s) with larger drivers are next in the pipeline.

Hmm, it seems the new 3030i takes a few Qs from the larger 3050i, i.e., its woofer and tweeter.
dbPlan is offline  
post #1448 of 1458 Old 01-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hey guys. Happy New Year!

I thought I'd drop by, say hello, and solicit some more recommendations on a center channel speaker for the Concept 40s. I did end up returning the Concept Center, so now the hunt for another center channel speaker is on in earnest. I haven't forgotten your suggestion of using a Concept 20 for that job, gajCA, but I'm thinking I should rather have a traditional horizontal arrangement--it should make finding and accommodating the center much easier.

I'm presently looking at the Ascend Acoustics Duo Center (this one: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/duo/duo.html). Physically it's about the same size as the Concept Center, maybe even a little smaller, but it has two 4.5-in SEAS woofers and a RAAL tweeter. Specs alone would suggest a fuller sound as compared to the Concept Center. 88.5 dB sensitivity vs the 90 dB for the Concept 40s. What do you guys think? Anyone here with experience with the Ascend Duo? Any thoughts or further recommendation would be appreciated. Thank you.
jhumur is offline  
post #1449 of 1458 Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,271
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
Hey guys. Happy New Year!

I thought I'd drop by, say hello, and solicit some more recommendations on a center channel speaker for the Concept 40s. I did end up returning the Concept Center, so now the hunt for another center channel speaker is on in earnest. I haven't forgotten your suggestion of using a Concept 20 for that job, gajCA, but I'm thinking I should rather have a traditional horizontal arrangement--it should make finding and accommodating the center much easier.

I'm presently looking at the Ascend Acoustics Duo Center (this one: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/duo/duo.html). Physically it's about the same size as the Concept Center, maybe even a little smaller, but it has two 4.5-in SEAS woofers and a RAAL tweeter. Specs alone would suggest a fuller sound as compared to the Concept Center. 88.5 dB sensitivity vs the 90 dB for the Concept 40s. What do you guys think? Anyone here with experience with the Ascend Duo? Any thoughts or further recommendation would be appreciated. Thank you.
No idea but when I tested my LX16s vs the Concept 20s the AMT in the LX16 sounded not that much different than the dome in the Concept 20s; just the tiniest bit more detail that you could only discern with A/B head to head testing.

Be careful with Ascend's RAAL speakers though; you might end up buying the whole system and selling your Concept 40s.

Another thing you might want to do is just wait as I do indeed expect a reworking of the Concept series soon with, hopefully, a larger center channel choice.
jhumur and Lp85253 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #1450 of 1458 Old 01-12-2020, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,137
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Question, how about paring Miccas RB42 for surrounds with the 3010is (fronts) for a 5.1 set up? I’m thinking of replacing my Take Classic speakers as surrounds. I want a small compact speakers for surrounds.
NHT SuperZero -- sold each
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...69203106&psc=1

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #1451 of 1458 Old 01-12-2020, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,594
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post


Thanks, these look really interesting. I do like how the Miccas look similar in design as the 3000i but I’ll definitely look into the SuperZero 2.1.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zieglj01 likes this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is offline  
post #1452 of 1458 Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 AM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
No idea but when I tested my LX16s vs the Concept 20s the AMT in the LX16 sounded not that much different than the dome in the Concept 20s; just the tiniest bit more detail that you could only discern with A/B head to head testing.

Be careful with Ascend's RAAL speakers though; you might end up buying the whole system and selling your Concept 40s.

Another thing you might want to do is just wait as I do indeed expect a reworking of the Concept series soon with, hopefully, a larger center channel choice.
Hey buddy! Trust you had a wonderful holiday. Lol, yeah, that's also what someone at the Ascend Forum told me. it does seem as though I'm getting dangerously close to that slippery slope of the pursuit of "audio perfection". Not where I want to be at all. I just want a center speaker that I can be happy with. I'd love it if QA would release another center, one perhaps with 5" drivers. I'm willing to wait if it's anytime in the near future, like within the year. Any inside scoop?
jhumur is offline  
post #1453 of 1458 Old 01-13-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,271
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
Hey buddy! Trust you had a wonderful holiday. Lol, yeah, that's also what someone at the Ascend Forum told me. it does seem as though I'm getting dangerously close to that slippery slope of the pursuit of "audio perfection". Not where I want to be at all. I just want a center speaker that I can be happy with. I'd love it if QA would release another center, one perhaps with 5" drivers. I'm willing to wait if it's anytime in the near future, like within the year. Any inside scoop?
I have ZERO inside scoop other than the suggestions made here on AVS over the years by members in this thread for (1) a larger bookshelf (2) a better sub and (3) a larger center have been answered quite recently for two out of three.

Mind you those 2 improved speakers are still not available here.

I wonder if you called Q Acoustics if they would SELL you two drivers from the Concept 20 plus one tweeter and one crossover and you could have someone like Selah put them in a cabinet for you?

Heck, if they would just sell you the tweeter you could put it in this cabinet and if it didn't work great due to some crossover issue you could send to Dennis Murphy for tweaking!

https://www.parts-express.com/c-note...-kit--300-7142

And yes, had a great Holiday and hope you did as well.

This coming weekend I'm teaching a young AVS member how to drive a manual as he wants to get a used Porsche Boxster of all things.
jhumur likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #1454 of 1458 Old 01-13-2020, 09:05 PM
Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I have ZERO inside scoop other than the suggestions made here on AVS over the years by members in this thread for (1) a larger bookshelf (2) a better sub and (3) a larger center have been answered quite recently for two out of three.

Mind you those 2 improved speakers are still not available here.

I wonder if you called Q Acoustics if they would SELL you two drivers from the Concept 20 plus one tweeter and one crossover and you could have someone like Selah put them in a cabinet for you?

Heck, if they would just sell you the tweeter you could put it in this cabinet and if it didn't work great due to some crossover issue you could send to Dennis Murphy for tweaking!

https://www.parts-express.com/c-note...-kit--300-7142

And yes, had a great Holiday and hope you did as well.

This coming weekend I'm teaching a young AVS member how to drive a manual as he wants to get a used Porsche Boxster of all things.
LOL. So you're a polymath. You not only teach people like me how to build a speaker, you show aspiring young hotrodders how to drive a stick shift. Who is Selah?
jhumur is offline  
post #1455 of 1458 Old 01-14-2020, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,271
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
LOL. So you're a polymath. You not only teach people like me how to build a speaker, you show aspiring young hotrodders how to drive a stick shift. Who is Selah?
Ha ha, I think young Russ, (Russdawg1), is a nutter to buy a used Porsche BUT he has done his research, knows all the problems, and indicates he has the mechanical knowledge to do most of it himself so, impressive.

But I'll try to talk him into a used Miata.

I've driven my friends very nice Porsche 911 but for around here, where we have tight bumpy back roads, it would be a waste as I could easily keep up with him at the pace you can go which is dictated by sight lines, and potential obstacles around every corner such as spandex clad bicyclists, deer, tractors etc. so maximum speed is of little value as on the track.

I also offered to teach him how to ride motorcycles but he's smarter than that though his Mom I believe is a rider and there is a motorcycle in the garage.

Selah Audio:

http://www.selahaudio.com/
jhumur likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #1456 of 1458 Old 01-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Kipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Posted this in a separate thread, but realized I should've posted it here.......

Q Acoustics lists conflicting specs for the Concept Center - which is right?

The center is borderline for me as to how dynamic it will be in our 100% home theater.

In the pdf "brochure" for the Concept line, they list the center has having 2 x 125mm (5") bass drivers, with an extension of "+/- 3dB 64Hz-24kHz. I think this would be enough for us.

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/downloa...hure_email.pdf

However, on the product page, it lists the center as having only 2 x 105mm (4") bass drivers, with an extension of "75Hz - 22kHz" with no -3dB point listed. This seems a little thin on paper vs our preference.

https://www.qacoustics.com/concept-c...l-speaker.html

Anyone know which is right?

Kipa
Kipa is offline  
post #1457 of 1458 Old 01-16-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,271
Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post
Posted this in a separate thread, but realized I should've posted it here.......

Q Acoustics lists conflicting specs for the Concept Center - which is right?

The center is borderline for me as to how dynamic it will be in our 100% home theater.

In the pdf "brochure" for the Concept line, they list the center has having 2 x 125mm (5") bass drivers, with an extension of "+/- 3dB 64Hz-24kHz. I think this would be enough for us.

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/downloa...hure_email.pdf

However, on the product page, it lists the center as having only 2 x 105mm (4") bass drivers, with an extension of "75Hz - 22kHz" with no -3dB point listed. This seems a little thin on paper vs our preference.

https://www.qacoustics.com/concept-c...l-speaker.html

Anyone know which is right?

Kipa
Quote:
Concept Centre Drive units: 2 x 4in doped paper midbass drivers; 1 x 1in soft dome tweeter
https://www.homecinemachoice.com/con...ma-pack-review

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #1458 of 1458 Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Kipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Found another company brochure that lists the correct specs for the concept center (and specs on all Q Acoustics products):

https://secure.armourhome.co.uk/3000...20Brochure.pdf


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post
Posted this in a separate thread, but realized I should've posted it here.......

Q Acoustics lists conflicting specs for the Concept Center - which is right?

The center is borderline for me as to how dynamic it will be in our 100% home theater.

In the pdf "brochure" for the Concept line, they list the center has having 2 x 125mm (5") bass drivers, with an extension of "+/- 3dB 64Hz-24kHz. I think this would be enough for us.

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/downloa...hure_email.pdf

However, on the product page, it lists the center as having only 2 x 105mm (4") bass drivers, with an extension of "75Hz - 22kHz" with no -3dB point listed. This seems a little thin on paper vs our preference.

https://www.qacoustics.com/concept-c...l-speaker.html

Anyone know which is right?

Kipa
Kipa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off