Q Acoustics Owner's Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 656Likes

post #1561 of 1660 Old 03-01-2020, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Went through the entire diagnostic menus. All the PCBs and everything in the unit are preserved and functional and it doesn’t sense any issues. It senses too much DC voltage on its protection circuit. The values are outside of the range for some reason. Going to disassemble and see what is up with either the sub or power transformer. I’ll update if I get anything, otherwise I’ll let everyone get back to speaker talk lol.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1660 Old 03-01-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
Interesting life story, no doubt.

British boarding schools were notorious for being very strict like you say. I hope it's better nowdays.

I know The Wall of course, and I know of If... as well, though I don't think I ever watched it. I'll give it a watch one day for sure.

I would love to see a picture of you carrying a Dalek doll in a barrel lol. It's probably just my weird mental association, but it's what I think of when I see those speakers with tweeter pods.
Sadistic places.

Imagine a 6' 4" dude with a bamboo can using all his might to bring that thing down on the rear end of a hapless 7 year old.

Happened to me twice.

Leaving there for Connecticut and my first stereo was like being reborn, truly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE turntable.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2692014  

Geoff A. J., California
post #1563 of 1660 Old 03-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Sadistic places.

Imagine a 6' 4" dude with a bamboo can using all his might to bring that thing down on the rear end of a hapless 7 year old.

Happened to me twice.

Leaving there for Connecticut and my first stereo was like being reborn, truly.
Yeah. There's been quite a few movies and TV shows portraying those dark places, so I know what you mean
Love those small turntable suitcases. Pretty sure we had one too at some point. IIRC some of them used to come with a stack records too. Something like educational material of sorts or popular classical music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1660 Old 03-01-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah. There's been quite a few movies and TV shows portraying those dark places, so I know what you mean
Love those small turntable suitcases. Pretty sure we had one too at some point. IIRC some of them used to come with a stack records too. Something like educational material of sorts or popular classical music?
I believe my first vinyl record was "Crimson & Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells.

Still have it and still in decent shape believe it or not.

"Crystal Blue Persuasion" off that album still sound up to date and great to my ear.

Some of the other stuff is a bit "hey, let's do LSD" but I didn't know about all that at age 10, just loved it.

Here's my second stereo when we moved to Belgium for my High School years; Philips.

Sounded pretty good but the design was first rate from an aesthetic department...especially compared to my original GE!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philips GF908.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	2692038  
AlexLac likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #1565 of 1660 Old 03-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I believe my first vinyl record was "Crimson & Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells.

"Crystal Blue Persuasion" off that album still sound up to date and great to my ear.

Some of the other stuff is a bit "hey, let's do LSD" but I didn't know about all that at age 10, just loved it.

Here's my second stereo when we moved to Belgium for my High School years; Philips.

Sounded pretty good but the design was first rate from an aesthetic department...especially compared to my original GE!
Crimson and Clover is a great track. Not sure I know the other one you mentioned but I'm bad with track names.

My first record was Billy Joel's 52nd Street bought when I was ~10. I still have it. First concert I ever saw was also Billy Joel.

It's night and day compared to the kind of music I've listened to most my adult life but I still love it very much. Let's say "hey, let's do LSD" type of music is something I love, even without ever doing LSD. The weirder the better, not the flowerpot stuff.
gajCA likes this.
post #1566 of 1660 Old 03-02-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Checked out "Crystal Blue Persuasion". Doesn't sound familiar. It's pleasant, I like the Hammonds.

If I had to pick up my favorite long-lived bands (setting aside some amazing one-album bands), it would probably the German Krautrock band Faust and UK band The Cardiacs. Both are fairly tamed compared to some of the stuff I was into. Do you know Van Dyke Parks?

Please have a look at the other thread when you got time. Thanks
post #1567 of 1660 Old 03-02-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Checked out "Crystal Blue Persuasion". Doesn't sound familiar. It's pleasant, I like the Hammonds.

If I had to pick up my favorite long-lived bands (setting aside some amazing one-album bands), it would probably the German Krautrock band Faust and UK band The Cardiacs. Both are fairly tamed compared to some of the stuff I was into. Do you know Van Dyke Parks?

Please have a look at the other thread when you got time. Thanks
Never heard of either of those two bands to be honest.

Geoff A. J., California
post #1568 of 1660 Old 03-02-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Never heard of either of those two bands to be honest.
I'm not surprised.

You should check out "Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle" if you don't know him. He used to do work with the Beach Boys circa Smile/Smiley Smile. Amazing orchestrations and while he has an edge it's not hard on the ears. Think it will sound pretty nice of a good sound system.
post #1569 of 1660 Old 03-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Look what came today! I was floored when my wife said, “they look way better without the speaker covers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7A375881-8020-45D8-BF2F-AEE42149C8A5_1583194217615.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2692734  
JuMu likes this.
post #1570 of 1660 Old 03-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9602 Post(s)
Liked: 7425
Quote:
Look what came today! I was floored when my wife said, “they look way better without the speaker covers.
I'd have to agree with her.

So, how do you like their sound?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #1571 of 1660 Old 03-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
I'd have to agree with her. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

So, how do you like their sound?
Haha you must have missed the other update I quoted you on. My receiver I received (no pun intended) decided to blow up and fail before I even got these. I was testing to make sure the sub and receiver worked and all was good and it did. Then I went to turn it on again the next day after I moved it and it apparently now has a faulty power supply. So I just ordered a new receiver a little while ago.

Last edited by 3Dhereicome; 03-02-2020 at 06:58 PM.
post #1572 of 1660 Old 03-02-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Haha you must have missed the other update I quoted you on. My receiver I received (no pun intended) decided to blow up and fail before I even got these. I was testing to make sure the sub and receiver worked and all was good and it did. Then I went to turn it on again the next day after I moved it and it apparently now has a faulty power supply. So I just ordered a new receiver a little while ago.
Ugh, talk about bad luck! The frustrated anticipation would kill me, lol.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #1573 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Congrats on receiving the 3050i !

So you ended up ordering a new receiver then, nice. What did you order?
I like what I'm hearing with the old 3050s + C1 center + subwoofer. I have nothing to compare with as I only used a 2.0 prior to that with old speakers, but to my novice ears it sounds pretty good.
I do find myself still browsing second hand speakers constantly, even though I have no intention of buying any. If I had a big storage place, I can see it filling up with speakers for no good reason, just like I used to fill my house with thousands of records and cds I would never get to hear Regression time I guess. So many speakers look inviting even low priced ones, but that says nothing. And some look like they fall into the high end stuff according to price but they are WTH looking to for my taste:
B&W Formation Duo:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2792/5768/products/New_Project-497.jpg?v=1556711696
or Dynavox Gem Opal:
https://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/227891/1_590714.jpg
or Assistent 100 Mark II:
https://www.audiovalve.info/assi100/...nt%20100-2.jpg

Last edited by AlexLac; 03-03-2020 at 01:58 AM.
post #1574 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Ugh, talk about bad luck! The frustrated anticipation would kill me, lol.
You have no idea! Lol. I was a very unhappy person when I found this out.
post #1575 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats on receiving the 3050i !

So you ended up ordering a new receiver then, nice. What did you order?
I like what I'm hearing with the old 3050s + C1 center + subwoofer. I have nothing to compare with as I only used a 2.0 prior to that with old speakers, but to my novice ears it sounds pretty good.
I do find myself still browsing second hand speakers constantly, even though I have no intention of buying any. If I had a big storage place, I can see it filling up with speakers for no good reason, just like I used to fill my house with thousands of records and cds I would never get to hear [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Regression time I guess. So many speakers look inviting even low priced ones, but that says nothing. And some look like they fall into the high end stuff according to price but they are WTH looking to for my taste:
B&W Formation Duo:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2792/5768/products/New_Project-497.jpg?v=1556711696
or Dynavox Gem Opal:
https://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/227891/1_590714.jpg
or Assistent 100 Mark II:
https://www.audiovalve.info/assi100/...nt%20100-2.jpg
Thanks! It’s a X3500H. Yeah, I have nothing to compare it to either so I’m Sure I will think they sound really good! It won’t be here till next Monday (ughhhhh) so it’s another week till I can even try them out.

Those speakers are hideous! They’re designed for people with more money than sense.
post #1576 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks! It’s a X3500H. Yeah, I have nothing to compare it to either so I’m Sure I will think they sound really good! It won’t be here till next Monday (ughhhhh) so it’s another week till I can even try them out.

Those speakers are hideous! They’re designed for people with more money than sense.
Cool. Be careful not to get an urge to add up to 7.2 speakers lol. My whole upgrade started from replacing the 2.0 old receiver to a 5.1 one. It was nagging at me to add more speakers
Did you find the Denon at a good price? that accessories4less site seems to have pretty good prices. Sadly, they don't ship international. You have eARC on that AVR so should get a TV with one too.

Those kind of ugly and expensive speakers I can see sitting in President Trump's gold houses, if they have gold color versions. He probably has in-walls though

Last edited by AlexLac; 03-03-2020 at 04:42 AM.
post #1577 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! It’️s a X3500H. Yeah, I have nothing to compare it to either so I’️m Sure I will think they sound really good! It won’️t be here till next Monday (ughhhhh) so it’️s another week till I can even try them out.

Those speakers are hideous! They’️re designed for people with more money than sense.
Cool. Be careful not to get an urge to add up to 7.2 speakers lol. My whole upgrade started from replacing the 2.0 old receiver to a 5.1 one. It was nagging at me to add more speakers [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
Did you find the Denon at a good price? that accessories4less site seems to have pretty good prices. Sadly, they don't ship international. You have eARC on that AVR so should get a TV with one too.

Those kind of ugly and expensive speakers I can see sitting in President Trump's gold houses, if they have gold color versions. He probably has in-walls though [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Haha my plan all along was to be 7.2 (5.1.2 Atmos) I wanted 5.1.4 but I don’t have the space for it! I did, I found it on eBay for $480, pretty cheap. I did check accessories 4 less but didn’t go that route.

I’m planning on my new TV having EARC for sure! It’ll be a 2020 model! I just have to wait not for even looking at them.
post #1578 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Haha my plan all along was to be 7.2 (5.1.2 Atmos) I wanted 5.1.4 but I don’t have the space for it! I did, I found it on eBay for $480, pretty cheap. I did check accessories 4 less but didn’t go that route.

I’m planning on my new TV having EARC for sure! It’ll be a 2020 model! I just have to wait not for even looking at them.
Saul Goodman then (I hope you like Better Call Saul, Saul Goodman = It's all good man). Looks like you got a pretty good price then, Think it's $488 currently on A4L.

I now wish I got a 7.1 AVR as well haha. I don't have a convenient space for rears and most what I watch is 5.1 TV shows anyway. The Marantz I got was oddly very expensive here compared to Denons, which isn't the case in the US/UK. But I needed a low profile receiver as my shelf space would not leave much breathing room for Denon/Onkyo etc. I didn't look into the 2nd hand space at the time either.

My TV is a 2016 LG model without eARC. I will probably end up upgrading stuff down the line, but some things need to become widely available and reasonably priced for me to do that. Mainly OLED screens and AVRs with all 4 HDR variations (HLG/DolbyVision/HDR/HDR10+) and HDMI 2.1b. The industry seems to be taking it's time in adopting to those. I don't think almost any AVRs have HDR10+ or HDMI 2.1 support, and most TV brands either have HDR10+ or DolbyVision. Panasonic have one with all 4 but no HDMI 2.1b and their OS is said to be a lot less "developed" and supports less applications compared to Android/WebOS/Tizen. I like to future proof when I buy stuff so I don't feel like I need to upgrade again 2 years later.

Last edited by AlexLac; 03-03-2020 at 11:56 AM.
post #1579 of 1660 Old 03-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Saul Goodman then (I hope you like Better Call Saul, Saul Goodman = It's all good man). Looks like you got a pretty good price then, Think it's $488 currently on A4L.

I now wish I got a 7.1 AVR as well haha. I don't have a convenient space for rears and most what I watch is 5.1 TV shows anyway. The Marantz I got was oddly very expensive here compared to Denons, which isn't the case in the US/UK. But I needed a low profile receiver as my shelf space would not leave much breathing room for Denon/Onkyo etc. I didn't look into the 2nd hand space at the time either.

My TV is a 2016 LG model without eARC. I will probably end up upgrading stuff down the line, but some things need to become widely available and reasonably priced for me to do that. Mainly OLED screens and AVRs with all 4 HDR variations (HLG/DolbyVision/HDR/HDR10+) and HDMI 2.1b. The industry seems to be taking it's time in adopting to those. I don't think almost any AVRs have HDR10+ or HDMI 2.1 support, and most TV brands either have HDR10+ or DolbyVision. Panasonic have one with all 4 but no HDMI 2.1b and their OS is said to be a lot less "developed" and supports less applications compared to Android/WebOS/Tizen. I like to future proof when I buy stuff so I don't feel like I need to upgrade again 2 years later.

Yeah it was a good deal! I have never seen better call saul but I loved breaking bad and have watched it 3 different times in full, good show.

Marantz is more expensive here, Denon is cheaper, so it's the same. I don't have much room for the rears either but I'm going to slap up on the wall anyways! Because 5.1 is a bare minimum for me.

I have a 2016 OLED too, I think 2016, maybe 2017, it's a B7. I'm going to get a 75" LG nanocell this time for gaming with the LCD/LED screen, OLED stays in my living room. I hadn't even thought about HDR10+ or any of that nonsense. I feel like dolby vision is good to go for awhile so whatever. I like my LG though, my Panasonic OS has always blown, I hate it. I wish Pioneer would have just kept making TV's but I like LG's, I'm not a fan of Samsung anything.
post #1580 of 1660 Old 03-04-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah it was a good deal! I have never seen better call saul but I loved breaking bad and have watched it 3 different times in full, good show.

Marantz is more expensive here, Denon is cheaper, so it's the same. I don't have much room for the rears either but I'm going to slap up on the wall anyways! Because 5.1 is a bare minimum for me.

I have a 2016 OLED too, I think 2016, maybe 2017, it's a B7. I'm going to get a 75" LG nanocell this time for gaming with the LCD/LED screen, OLED stays in my living room. I hadn't even thought about HDR10+ or any of that nonsense. I feel like dolby vision is good to go for awhile so whatever. I like my LG though, my Panasonic OS has always blown, I hate it. I wish Pioneer would have just kept making TV's but I like LG's, I'm not a fan of Samsung anything.
I dare say I like BCS better than BB. It isn't that similar but obviously shares stuff.

It's hard to compare Denon and Marantz. I go by starting at the cheapest price and work my way up eliminating the ones that don't have the features I want. In my case it wasn't necessarily audio features (watts etc) but more HT use and fitting the shelf. The cheapest Denon vs the cheapest Marantz in this case were like 40% difference... I probably didn't invest as much into the comparison as I may have done now after looking deeper into Audio. I was going to stay with my old 2.0 so it was just about getting something that works and fits. But then the crave came

If I had to do it again it would probably also include 7.1 with Atmos + eARC. Marantz NR1710 ($749 on Amazon) and Denon AVR-X2600H ($799 on Amazon) I think would have been a matching lower end for what I want. That said, it's only based on very few key features. The one you got is almost 1/2 the price and has those features too I think, so my research wasn't very thorough lol. I probably only looked into 2019 models or what's locally available. It wasn't about buying another one but more what's the cheapest "entry" level if I find it second hand or decide to upgade. I also did it a couple of months ago and I know more now than I did then. They are pretty close in price on Amazon but here the Marantz costs $1200 and the Denon $915, Pretty much the opposite to US and then some.

The thing about DolbyVision is that not all retail UHDs come with it, some have only HDR10, some have HDR10/+, some have HDR10+DV and some have all 3. Further more, dual layer DV which is what you have on UHD discs, pretty much isn't playable by anything but a UHD player. Streaming uses single layer DV. HDR10+ is much more forgiving as it's embedded into the video stream and therefore easier to support even if you didn't opt for a license. DV on UHD discs is a proprietary separate layer which you can't play without having a license, at least not till now. It's a bit like the right eye stream on 3D discs.

To summarize, unless you watch only streaming or own a UHD player + buy UHD discs, you pretty much only able to watch with standard HDR10. Sure, streaming is cool and everything, but it's not nearly good as retail content in terms of video bitrate/quality and Audio. Atmos you get on Netflix isn't even remotely the same Atmos you get on UHD discs, it's closer to DD+. Things will get better as retail discs sales will keep dropping and streaming quality will get better but for now this is the situation.
A quick comparison: the average video bitrate on 4K HEVC on NF/Amazon is 15mbps, on a retail UHD it's roughly between 40 and 80mbps. Atmos on NF is constant (CBR) 768kbps, on UHD it's variable bitrate (VBR) roughly between 3500kbps and 8000.

Just for funsies, I checked last night what it would cost me to land a complete 5 Chane speakers set here using a forwarding service (as they don't sell international). Shipping + tax would come up to about the same price as the cost of the speakers. At first I thought the floorstands price is for a pair and those combined with just the center will be about $1400 landed, then realized it's priced in singles so it's considerably more. Bit misleading when the all the pictures on their site are showing a pair.

Last edited by AlexLac; 03-04-2020 at 12:33 AM.
post #1581 of 1660 Old 03-09-2020, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Concept 40 - Speakers Grills On or Off?

For you guys with Concept 40s... do you have any preference for speakers grills on or off? I've been leaving them off but decided yesterday I'd try putting them on to see if it made any difference. I think the treble is maybe slightly subdued, but aside from that I can't hear an appreciable difference. Any thoughts?
post #1582 of 1660 Old 03-10-2020, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i bought a Q acoustics 3050i and 3090ci speaker which are connect with denon avr-x2600H.

i am confusing that should i set the speaker config as small or large?

if i set it as large, will it lack of bass for the subwoofer

if i set it as small, the center speaker sound become small and unclear.
post #1583 of 1660 Old 03-10-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ng View Post
i bought a Q acoustics 3050i and 3090ci speaker which are connect with denon avr-x2600H.

I'm no expert and mostly followed advises I got here on AVS, but to get you started till someone else with more knowledge chimes in: I was told to set all to small when subwoofer is present, and set the crossovers for L-C-R to 80 (or 60) and subwoofer to 120. Also got several suggestions to disable stuff like Dynanic EQ/Volume.

Last edited by AlexLac; 03-10-2020 at 06:56 AM.
post #1584 of 1660 Old 03-10-2020, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

If you have a subwoofer set all speakers to "small" and set your crossovers to 80hz as a starting off point.
If you do not have a subwoofer set all speakers to large so they will run full-range.
In any event, run Audyssey first. Tweak in manual settings to your liking.
post #1585 of 1660 Old 03-10-2020, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

The "large" vs "small" setting tells your receiver to enable or disable its internal crossover. It's just a poor naming convention.
Setting them to large generally means the receiver will bypass its internal crossover and send the full frequency spectrum (bass) to your speakers.
Setting them to "small" means the receiver will enact a low-cut filter at the crossover point and send low frequencies to your subwoofer (if you are using a separate subwoofer).

I'm not familiar with your receiver, but in some cases you can configure it utilize both your sub and "large" speakers at the same time (LFE+Main). Weather this setup makes sense for your situation or not depends on a lot of things, but in general, most recommend setting the speakers to be "small" (even if they are actually large towers) and letting your external subwoofer handle the low frequencies. A subwoofer is specifically designed to handle LFE and bass easily, most towers are not. An 80hz crossover is a good starting point, and also the THX standard I believe.
post #1586 of 1660 Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
Update: It seems the new 3030i bookshelf speaker is available for purchase now.
post #1587 of 1660 Old 03-12-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbPlan View Post
Update: It seems the new 3030i bookshelf speaker is available for purchase now.
Right you are...and the white is the same price as the other colors, wow.
https://www.qacoustics.com/3030i-boo...-speakers.html

Now if only QA would come out with a center speaker with 5.25" or 6.5" woofers...
audiofreak38 likes this.

post #1588 of 1660 Old 03-14-2020, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
No pro reviews for the 3030i bookshelf speaker yet. I did find an unboxing video on YouTube, though. Unfortunately, the video doesn't seem to play on this site. Oh well. So for now—[the 3030i] "bassy, hard-hitting yet beautifully poised sound from a compact, discreet cabinet." —QA

Their current bookshelf speaker line-up:
• Concept 300
• Concept 20
3030i
• 3020i
• 3010i

---

Out of curiosity, does anyone own the Concept 20 and BBC LS3/5A, or a contemporary clone of a BBC speaker?
I'm curious how the Concept 20 compares with, say, a Harbeth P3ESR in your listening room—without a sub.

Last edited by dbPlan; 03-15-2020 at 10:43 AM.
post #1589 of 1660 Old 03-16-2020, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbPlan View Post
No pro reviews for the 3030i bookshelf speaker yet. I did find an unboxing video on YouTube, though. Unfortunately, the video doesn't seem to play on this site. Oh well. So for now—[the 3030i] "bassy, hard-hitting yet beautifully poised sound from a compact, discreet cabinet." —QA

Their current bookshelf speaker line-up:
• Concept 300
• Concept 20
3030i
• 3020i
• 3010i

---

Out of curiosity, does anyone own the Concept 20 and BBC LS3/5A, or a contemporary clone of a BBC speaker?
I'm curious how the Concept 20 compares with, say, a Harbeth P3ESR in your listening room—without a sub.
There is a review of 3030i.

https://www.lite-magazin.de/tag/lautsprecher/

You can use google translate.
post #1590 of 1660 Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeriko View Post
Q Acoustics adds the bass enhanced 3030i standmount speaker to its 3000i

The Q Acoustics 3030i will be available from February 2020, priced at £329 / €399 / $399

https://qacousticsnewsroom.com/2020/...t-loudspeaker/

Enclosure type: 2-way reflex
Bass unit: 165 mm (6.5 in)
Treble unit: 22 mm (0.9 in)
Frequency response (+/-3 dB, -6 dB): 46 Hz – 30 kHz
Average impedance: 6 Ω
Minimum impedance: 4 Ω
Sensitivity ([email protected]): 88 dB
Stereo amplifier power: 25 – 75 W
AV receiver power (2 ch. driven): 50 – 145 W
Crossover frequency: 2.4 kHz
Effective volume: 12.5 L (763 cu in)
Enclosure dimensions (WxHxD)(inc. grille, terminal and feet) : 200 x 325 x 329 mm (7.9 x 12.8 x 13.0 in)
Weight (per speaker): 6.4 kg (14.1 lbs)
I was on the waiting list for the 3030i speakers, and Q A notified me when they were available. I ordered them on the 5th of March, and they came in the following Monday. I have them hooked up to my Denon AVR-4300H and a Sony 800 CD player. The first CD I had on hand was Massive Attacks' "Heligoland". This CD is very heavy with bass output. This just happened to be the first CD I picked up. I really did not realize that my subwoofer was not on. They are that good. I had the receiver in the pure position, thus only the 3030i's were playing.

However, the bass wasn't the only great characteristic of this speaker. The vocals, instruments, all came out sounding very even, IMHO.
I had another much more expensive speaker in this room that was not so great with male voices. To be specific, the Eagles "Hole in the World", from their live farewell tour album. With the 3030's the sound was perfect, with no shrill vocals. On other songs, the horns were also very clear and crisp.
These speakers compliment my 3090i center channel, which is also better than its size would indicate.
I have not read any professional reviews yet, but for me, it doesn't matter.

These are in my media room, which is small at 12 x 15, with an 11' ceiling. My sub is a RSL speedwoofer 10s. It blends in well with the 3030i's, and I can only tell the sub is on when really low passages are playing. Still sounds like all of the sound is coming from the 3030is
I might add that I like the grill on, not off. I have the walnut finish, but later, I will get the black.
Next, I plan to swap them out in my living room, which is about 4500 sf. But that is much later, even though I am home 24/7.
Anyone else have these speakers?
audiofreak38, gajCA and Jeeriko like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page