Advice on first surround sound system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 08-01-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Advice on first surround sound system

Hi all, I’m a total HT noob looking for some advice on what (if any) speakers I should get for a front stage (term I just learned, along with timbre matching, after reading the FAQ). I’ve never had surround sound, but the previous owners of the house I recently moved in to had a set up and left their in-ceiling surround and back speakers, so I thought I’d try getting a system together.

Main points:
-Looking for center channel and front speakers.
-Restricted on space. 5” max height on center channel. 8” width on front speakers. (pictured)
-Leaning towards floorstanding speakers for Fronts instead of bookshelf because I don’t want a subwoofer as part of the set-up. I detest wires and my receiver doesn’t support a wireless sub (I don’t believe).
-I’m fine not having surround sound too, so if you think its not worth it (either because that space/placement is too tough, not worth having if I can’t get a sub in, budget, etc) I’m cool with returning the receiver and not using the in-ceiling speakers.

Information:
1) Budget: $300-$500. As cheap as possible.
2) Listening: Cable TV, movie streaming, sports. A little music.
3) Current: LeTV 65” tv, Sony STR DN850 receiver, 2 back and 2 surround in-ceiling speakers (Pictured, left over from previous owner, no idea what brand they are, but I know they work).
4) Room: The room is big and has open, adjacent areas. If including the adjacent area, we’re probably looking at 35’ x 25’.
5) Placement: Very restricted on the space under the TV for a center channel. Right now, I only have 3.5”, could bump it up to 5” by re-doing the wall mount, but there will never be room for a 7” – 8” center. Also restricted in the space for the front speakers as they will need to go next to the fireplace, where there is 8” of brick space on each side (pictured). The fireplace gets used a LOT in the winter, so speakers need to be out of the way.
6) Aesthetic/size: Covered size above, aesthetically looking for as plain as possible. Black or silver preferred.
7) Considering: Found a thread on here from 2012 that recommended the Yamaha NS C310 as a low profile center, but it appears that is discontinued and isn’t sold anywhere. The Polk TL1 or TL3 are only 4.5” high, so would work if I change the TV mount.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2147.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1577977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2148.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1577985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1577993  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7269 Post(s)
Liked: 5569
With a room that big and budget that small, you don't have many decent options---but you can definitely do better than those lousy Polk TL speakers.

I'd just get a pair of these towers for $320 and be done with it...the horn tweeters will give you the dialogue clarity and room-filling volume you need:
https://www.amazon.com/America-400-W...rds=bic+towers

No tower speaker in your price range will come anywhere close to replacing even a cheap $150 subwoofer in terms of bass, especially for movies (unless you never watch action movies). So I'd suggest adding a $150 subwoofer which would still be better than nothing:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-629

With a 5" height restriction, all of your center speaker options will probably be lousy, so I'd just spend your $500 on the towers and a sub. Plus it looks like your fronts will be so close together as to make a center speaker redundant.

As for the surrounds, you could try running it with them and without...it may require a bit of level matching through your receiver, so if you don't want to mess with that then you can skip the surrounds too.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 40 Old 08-01-2016, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Zorba. I'll do a little more research on sub placement and see if I can find a spot where one could go without wires crossing the room.
Zorba922 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 08-01-2016, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9240 Post(s)
Liked: 6346
I like Zorba's suggestion on the BICs but I'd go ahead and add this BIC center as well, (under 5" tall).

http://www.parts-express.com/bic-ven...eaker--303-410

My towers are about 6 feet apart, (I know, not ideal), but for movies the center is a must IMHO.

Can you take a picture of what is to the right of that yellow cabinet because if you could move it to the right 14' you could fit a sub between the cabinet and the hearth.

If not, and you can stretch your budget to $532 you could add this wireless sub that comes with send/receive units necessary for wireless operation.

http://www.parts-express.com/10-wire...-link--300-582

Last edited by gajCA; 08-01-2016 at 03:23 PM.
post #5 of 40 Old 08-01-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked: 2882
I would strongly consider a sub especially if your main usage is HT. This is a pretty good budget sub that gets good reviews and is generally well liked. I personally have a Bic F12 on order, cheap price and was highly recommended. There ar better ones out there in the $500-600 range if you can stretch your budget.
https://www.amazon.com/Bic-Acoustech...ds=bic+america

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 40 Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Attached are pictures showing the left of the TV (wood stand 15" high that I stack firewood on in the winter), the right of the TV (yellow entertainment center where I store cable box, receiver, dvd player, etc), and a further back picture of the room. Please excuse the mess.

To answer some questions:
- The front speakers would be 8' apart if they go on either side of the fireplace.
- There is a wall to the right of the yellow entertainment center, there would only 8" of space if I pushed the entertainment center as far right as it would go. I assume there aren't many subs that are 8" wide.

Having read a little more about sub placement, if the sub could go on the side of the room that the TV is on, I wouldn't mind wires because they'd be hidden. I initially thought the sub should be behind the couch (which if that was the case, I would want wireless).
Three potential placement options for a wired sub would be
1) Under the wood stack table. Pros: Out of the way. Cons: Under a table and cut off from the main seating by the 'L' portion of the couch.
2) In front of the left end (nearest TV) of the yellow entertainment center. Pros: good acoustic placement for a sub (I think?). Cons: In the way.
3) Towards the right end of the yellow entertainment center, by a wall. Pros: Compromise of placement and out-of-the-way. Cons: Not ideal placement or location.

Feedback on any of those options?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2152.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1578337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1578345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1578353  
post #7 of 40 Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustie13 View Post
Attached are pictures showing the left of the TV (wood stand 15" high that I stack firewood on in the winter), the right of the TV (yellow entertainment center where I store cable box, receiver, dvd player, etc), and a further back picture of the room. Please excuse the mess.

To answer some questions:
- The front speakers would be 8' apart if they go on either side of the fireplace.
- There is a wall to the right of the yellow entertainment center, there would only 8" of space if I pushed the entertainment center as far right as it would go. I assume there aren't many subs that are 8" wide.

Having read a little more about sub placement, if the sub could go on the side of the room that the TV is on, I wouldn't mind wires because they'd be hidden. I initially thought the sub should be behind the couch (which if that was the case, I would want wireless).
Three potential placement options for a wired sub would be
1) Under the wood stack table. Pros: Out of the way. Cons: Under a table and cut off from the main seating by the 'L' portion of the couch.
2) In front of the left end (nearest TV) of the yellow entertainment center. Pros: good acoustic placement for a sub (I think?). Cons: In the way.
3) Towards the right end of the yellow entertainment center, by a wall. Pros: Compromise of placement and out-of-the-way. Cons: Not ideal placement or location.
Of the above, #1 or #3 is where I'd try first. It's impossible to know for sure where the ideal location for a sub in that room would be without doing a "subwoofer crawl" (google it for info), but putting a sub in a corner can often make a weak or mediocre sub sound a lot more powerful. You might pay a price in terms of boomy/muddy rather than tight/precise bass, but with your budgetary constraints that is pretty much inescapable...for HT use it should be ok though.

btw, people put subs underneath tables all the time, it's a very common way of checking the WAF box but still having at least a little deep bass. If it's downfiring this is especially convenient, but I've heard of people doing it with front firing subs too, and sometimes they'll even turn the sub to have the driver face one of the walls if they want to maximize the boom.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 40 Old 08-02-2016, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Take a look locally for some used quality speakers.
post #9 of 40 Old 08-02-2016, 11:59 AM

Is there room behind the yellow table?

If so you could put behind there towards the corner.

I have this $75 sub and while its not nearly as good as my 40 times more expensive sub in my main Home Theater it is NOT boomy and plays punchy bass down to an honest 30hz.

To use it though your receiver has to have an RCA sub out and internal crossover...which all AVR's have.

It's pretty much a 12 inch cube.

I have it under a table next to my couch in my secondary Home Theater and it sounds great.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...specifications
post #10 of 40 Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Is there room behind the yellow table?

If so you could put behind there towards the corner.

I have this $75 sub and while its not nearly as good as my 40 times more expensive sub in my main Home Theater it is NOT boomy and plays punchy bass down to an honest 30hz.

To use it though your receiver has to have an RCA sub out and internal crossover...which all AVR's have.

It's pretty much a 12 inch cube.

I have it under a table next to my couch in my secondary Home Theater and it sounds great.
There is even less room behind the yellow table than along side it, unfortunately. I think it will probably end up going in either option 1 or 3 above (under the wood stacking table or in front of the right end of the yellow table, near a wall).

I'll check my receiver tonight to see if it has RCA sub out.
post #11 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2915 Post(s)
Liked: 2688
You'd be much better off with the tv against the wall on the right side of the room (90 degrees clockwise from the fireplace face). Since the fireplace is going to get a lot of use, your electronics and any speakers will deteriorate more quickly near the heat.

5" height for a center channel and 8" width for a tower speaker are both unrealistic sizes and eliminates way too many quality speaker options. If you have the tv and audio against the wall on the right, you eliminate the unnecessary restrictions, and open up your options for placement (and the resulting improvement in sound quality from proper placement). This will allow the mantle and fireplace to be less "busy" and more decorative (maybe some artwork where the TV currently resides). Just sit on the couch facing the fireplace or facing the TV, depending on your focus for the evening.

Not to mention, having the TV that high will result in neck pain unless you have reclining seats.

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-03-2016 at 01:46 AM.
post #12 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
You'd be much better off with the tv against the wall on the right side of the room (90 degrees clockwise from the fireplace face). Since the fireplace is going to get a lot of use, your electronics and any speakers will deteriorate more quickly near the heat.

5" height for a center channel and 8" width for a tower speaker are both unrealistic sizes and eliminates way too many quality speaker options. If you have the tv and audio against the wall on the right, you eliminate the unnecessary restrictions, and open up your options for placement (and the resulting improvement in sound quality from proper placement). This will allow the mantle and fireplace to be less "busy" and more decorative (maybe some artwork where the TV currently resides). Just sit on the couch facing the fireplace or facing the TV, depending on your focus for the evening.

Not to mention, having the TV that high will result in neck pain unless you have reclining seats.
Unfortunately, not shown in the pictures above is the fact that in the middle of the wall to the right is a 9' patio door, otherwise I'd agree with you 100%. And on the other side is a large open area with a pool table. So there isn't a good second option without some major changes to the space.

The brick and wood ledge actually provide a good deal of heat protection for the electronics. I've actually considered having the fireplace re-done because it doesn't kick out nearly the amount of heat you'd expect.
It gets a lot of use simply because we have tons of firewood to burn from the trees that go down on our property.

As I was looking for a picture of the patio door from the house listing page, I stumbled on one that showed what the previous owner had for a set-up. He had his center mounted above the TV it looks like. However, I don't know that doing so would give me enough space for a 7" - 8" center. I'll have to measure when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IS13nmv8893vqn1000000000.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1581857  
post #13 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
As I was looking for a picture of the patio door from the house listing page, I stumbled on one that showed what the previous owner had for a set-up. He had his center mounted above the TV it looks like. However, I don't know that doing so would give me enough space for a 7" - 8" center. I'll have to measure when I get home.
Unless there's enough space to angle that center speaker at least 20-30 degrees downwards toward the listening area (the pic suggests there wasn't) that looks like a nightmare option, acoustically.

If you're determined to have a physical center (and I would be too if that were my setup, to be honest) then you might want to look into having some kind of S-shaped speaker shelf made, or use a pair of these if you're able to drill into the brick:

https://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Moun...=Speaker+Shelf
yanks1 likes this.

post #14 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Unless there's enough space to angle that center speaker at least 20-30 degrees downwards toward the listening area (the pic suggests there wasn't) that looks like a nightmare option, acoustically.

If you're determined to have a physical center (and I would be too if that were my setup, to be honest) then you might want to look into having some kind of S-shaped speaker shelf made, or use a pair of these if you're able to drill into the brick:

https://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Moun...=Speaker+Shelf
It is probably beyond my handyman skills to angle the center down while having it above the TV.

Would you agree that something like the Bic center that was recommended up thread would be serviceable? I can come up with an extra $50 for a center if it will make a difference.
post #15 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Would you agree that something like the Bic center that was recommended up thread would be serviceable? I can come up with an extra $50 for a center if it will make a difference.
well, no harm in experimenting but I wouldn't put much hope into 3.5" drivers.

Far better center here, about $104 from Amazon or (best return option) Walmart shipped site to store:
http://www.parts-express.com/bic-for...eaker--303-438

post #16 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Why don't you mount the center channel under the tv by drilling a hole in the brick (as @Zorba922 suggested) or the wood mantle?

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: Dual Sealed SI-HT 18" with iNuke 3000dsp
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #17 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
well, no harm in experimenting but I wouldn't put much hope into 3.5" drivers.

Far better center here, about $104 from Amazon or (best return option) Walmart shipped site to store:
http://www.parts-express.com/bic-for...eaker--303-438
Too big, no?
post #18 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Too big, no?
For the size of that room, no. It's actually pretty standard.

Big would be something this size:
http://emptek.com/r56ci.php

Which would actually be fine if used with smaller bookshelf speakers:
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php

Since the center does the large bulk of the HT output.

post #19 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
For the size of that room, no. It's actually pretty standard.

Big would be something this size:
http://emptek.com/r56ci.php

Which would actually be fine if used with smaller bookshelf speakers:
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php

Since the center does the large bulk of the HT output.
No, I meant for the space available.
post #20 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
No, I meant for the space available.
Oops, I forgot about the 5" height restriction.

The NHT SuperCenter at 5.5" H is the closest I can think of. How its 4" drivers and less than astronomical sensitivity will fare in a room that size would be an interesting experiment...

post #21 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Oops, I forgot about the 5" height restriction.

The NHT SuperCenter at 5.5" H is the closest I can think of. How its 4" drivers and less than astronomical sensitivity will fare in a room that size would be an interesting experiment...
At $200 that is a bit tight for his budget but looks like just might be the perfect solution as it has decent sized drivers and is an acoustic suspension design.

Fireplace locations involve a lot of compromises both in video and audio!
Zorba922 likes this.
post #22 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate all the thought and suggestions.

Regarding mounting a stand in the brick for a center under the TV, I'd prefer not to for a variety of reasons:
1) Never drilled in brick before, would need to buy bits and read up on it.
2) I imagine it would be pretty hard to cover up holes in brick if I change my mind (unlike patching a wall or just hanging a picture on wall).
3) The wood ledge acts as a good heat barrier (its about 5" thick and stick out 3-4" from the brick), so putting a center underneath that ledge exposes it to more heat. As I said before, the fireplace doesn't kick out a lot of heat, but directly above is obviously where it is hottest.

The height of the NHT is something that could work under the TV (after re-mounting), but that $200 would put me pretty far over budget when combined with the other suggestions- center: $200, 2x BIC FT-6T: $320, Dayton 12" sub: $150. Total $770.
Also, wouldn't I want to stick with a BIC center if I go with BIC fronts, or am I mis-understanding timbre matching?

I agree the TV placement above the fireplace makes things very tricky, but there really aren't any better options in the space.
With all the talk around non-ideal spaces and options, would I be better off saving the $500 ($750 after I return the receiver) and rolling with the stock TV speakers since everything else seems to be a compromise and too small for the room?
post #23 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
How its 4" drivers and less than astronomical sensitivity will fare in a room that size would be an interesting experiment...
Room size is of little importance for speakers. It's the distance to the listening position(s) that matter.

The room could be the size of Madison Square Garden and it won't make a difference if you're sitting 9' from the speakers.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #24 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Appreciate all the thought and suggestions.

Regarding mounting a stand in the brick for a center under the TV, I'd prefer not to for a variety of reasons:
1) Never drilled in brick before, would need to buy bits and read up on it.
2) I imagine it would be pretty hard to cover up holes in brick if I change my mind (unlike patching a wall or just hanging a picture on wall).
3) The wood ledge acts as a good heat barrier (its about 5" thick and stick out 3-4" from the brick), so putting a center underneath that ledge exposes it to more heat. As I said before, the fireplace doesn't kick out a lot of heat, but directly above is obviously where it is hottest.

The height of the NHT is something that could work under the TV (after re-mounting), but that $200 would put me pretty far over budget when combined with the other suggestions- center: $200, 2x BIC FT-6T: $320, Dayton 12" sub: $150. Total $770.
Also, wouldn't I want to stick with a BIC center if I go with BIC fronts, or am I mis-understanding timbre matching?

I agree the TV placement above the fireplace makes things very tricky, but there really aren't any better options in the space.
With all the talk around non-ideal spaces and options, would I be better off saving the $500 ($750 after I return the receiver) and rolling with the stock TV speakers since everything else seems to be a compromise and too small for the room?
"Timbre matching" is a popular tenet of HT conventional wisdom, but I think it best to let YOUR ears decide whether it matters in actual practice---especially since it's easy to send back speakers that don't work out for you, sometimes on the seller's dime (Ascend and SVS speakers, for example, or the BIC FH6 ordered online).

No, almost anything is better than the stock TV speakers. If you really want to super-simplify things, you could even skip the receiver and just get a pair of powered monitors like these:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR308-14...ds=jbl+lsr+308

post #25 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 673
I'm going to throw a spanner into the works and suggest something completely different. Klipsch has a pair of active speakers with pretty much every connection possible on the back that might actually work the best in this situation. Amazon has them on sale for $449.0 right now: https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15P...klipsch+r-15pm
From the Klipsch website: http://www.klipsch.ca/products/r-15pm-powered-monitors
They even have a sub-out so the OP can connect a sub of his choice. With his space and placement limitations, mounting these somewhere around his TV would be miles better than the TV speakers and (almost) any soundbar for the price. Also - no AVR is needed...
post #26 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I'm going to throw a spanner into the works and suggest something completely different. Klipsch has a pair of active speakers with pretty much every connection possible on the back that might actually work the best in this situation. Amazon has them on sale for $449.0 right now: https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15P...klipsch+r-15pm
From the Klipsch website: http://www.klipsch.ca/products/r-15pm-powered-monitors
They even have a sub-out so the OP can connect a sub of his choice. With his space and placement limitations, mounting these somewhere around his TV would be miles better than the TV speakers and (almost) any soundbar for the price. Also - no AVR is needed...
wow, the USB input is really nice!

Would love to see a 3 way shootout between the JBL 308s, these Klipsch R-15PMs, and the AirMotiv 6s...

post #27 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, almost anything is better than the stock TV speakers. If you really want to super-simplify things, you could even skip the receiver and just get a pair of powered monitors like these:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR308-14...ds=jbl+lsr+308
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Hmmm... so then the options would be:
- JBL 308s by themselves on the ledge by the TV (return the receiver, not utilizing pre-existing backs or surrounds). Total: $450
- Klipsch R15s on the ledge by the TV plus sub on the ground (return the receiver, not utilizing pre-existing backs or surrounds). Total: $550-$600
- Sony STR DN850 hooked up to pre-existing backs, surrounds, Bic 3.5" center under the TV, 2x Bic FT6T at the edge of the hearth, and Dayton 12" sub on the ground. Total: $750
post #28 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... so then the options would be:
- JBL 308s by themselves on the ledge by the TV (return the receiver, not utilizing pre-existing backs or surrounds). Total: $450
- Klipsch R15s on the ledge by the TV plus sub on the ground (return the receiver, not utilizing pre-existing backs or surrounds). Total: $550-$600
- Sony STR DN850 hooked up to pre-existing backs, surrounds, Bic 3.5" center under the TV, 2x Bic FT6T at the edge of the hearth, and Dayton 12" sub on the ground. Total: $750
Yes. The $150-300 difference between the 3 options would not be insignificant. (Though I'd have modest expectations for the 3.5" center.)

post #29 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2915 Post(s)
Liked: 2688
Can you swap the billiards table to the sliding door side and use that wall instead?
post #30 of 40 Old 08-03-2016, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Can you swap the billiards table to the sliding door side and use that wall instead?
Not really. 1) Would require a new, smaller couch. 2) Any couch would cramp the bar area and a different sliding patio door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2162.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1582985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1582993  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement