Advice on first surround sound system
Hi all, I’m a total HT noob looking for some advice on what (if any) speakers I should get for a front stage (term I just learned, along with timbre matching, after reading the FAQ). I’ve never had surround sound, but the previous owners of the house I recently moved in to had a set up and left their in-ceiling surround and back speakers, so I thought I’d try getting a system together.
-Looking for center channel and front speakers.
-Restricted on space. 5” max height on center channel. 8” width on front speakers. (pictured)
-Leaning towards floorstanding speakers for Fronts instead of bookshelf because I don’t want a subwoofer as part of the set-up. I detest wires and my receiver doesn’t support a wireless sub (I don’t believe).
-I’m fine not having surround sound too, so if you think its not worth it (either because that space/placement is too tough, not worth having if I can’t get a sub in, budget, etc) I’m cool with returning the receiver and not using the in-ceiling speakers.
1) Budget: $300-$500. As cheap as possible.
2) Listening: Cable TV, movie streaming, sports. A little music.
3) Current: LeTV 65” tv, Sony STR DN850 receiver, 2 back and 2 surround in-ceiling speakers (Pictured, left over from previous owner, no idea what brand they are, but I know they work).
4) Room: The room is big and has open, adjacent areas. If including the adjacent area, we’re probably looking at 35’ x 25’.
5) Placement: Very restricted on the space under the TV for a center channel. Right now, I only have 3.5”, could bump it up to 5” by re-doing the wall mount, but there will never be room for a 7” – 8” center. Also restricted in the space for the front speakers as they will need to go next to the fireplace, where there is 8” of brick space on each side (pictured). The fireplace gets used a LOT in the winter, so speakers need to be out of the way.
6) Aesthetic/size: Covered size above, aesthetically looking for as plain as possible. Black or silver preferred.
7) Considering: Found a thread on here from 2012 that recommended the Yamaha NS C310 as a low profile center, but it appears that is discontinued and isn’t sold anywhere. The Polk TL1 or TL3 are only 4.5” high, so would work if I change the TV mount.
Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice you have.