Official Emotiva Airmotiv Speaker Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 360Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 509 Old 03-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Another thing that I wondered, is will it damage the receiver over time given that it will run much hotter.
Mine doesn't seem any hotter than with 8 ohm speakers. But if it's in a cabinet or something I'd definitely use some sort of fan or something
jsb75 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 509 Old 03-05-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Mine doesn't seem any hotter than with 8 ohm speakers. But if it's in a cabinet or something I'd definitely use some sort of fan or something
My receiver is in a recessed cabinet, but the front is open....no glass door or anything. I could do a fan

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #273 of 509 Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Newbie
 
RJason22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone here can qualitatively describe their experience with the C2 center channel. I was considering a C1 because I like the medium size (vs. the LARGE size the C2 appears to be). However, people are mentioning the C1 is rolling off pretty steep at 100hz and I'm wondering if male voices and special effects from action films would sound $150 better on the C2. Currently trying to build a setup with E1's and a center. Keeping this in mind, the E1's are the least bass of the line-up, so a C2 might fill in some missing oomph. I do have two very good sealed subs that play upper bass well enough.

Conversely, a bassier speaker sometimes doesn't do voices as well (does a 5.25" do voices better than 6.5"?). I guess it's all a trade-off, but would like to hear some opinions from those who had a medium/small center and upgraded to a bassier C2 center. BTW, the specs show +/-3dB down to 50hz for C1 and 45hz for C2 so I didn't suspect they would be very different in this department, but comments here have me thinking they are quite different sounding speakers.

I've also read someone mention that the C2 can be 'too much' because of it's size and sensitivity. I do live in an apartment, so there might be some advantage to the smaller C1.

I'm curious to hear more first-hand experiences from users. Btw, I truly enjoy this line and it's my first experience with ribbon tweeters.

edit: I also think the C1 might integrate with a sub better since it drops off similarly to the E1s. I can set a 100hz xover and integrate the subs easier (shoot! I just realized this is not 2-channel, I'm not sure how much 100hz content is sent to subs in home theater).

Last edited by RJason22; 03-20-2019 at 08:31 PM.
RJason22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #274 of 509 Old 03-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJason22 View Post
I'm hoping someone here can qualitatively describe their experience with the C2 center channel.
I just got a C2 and am coming from using a Def Tech CLR 3000 (6.5" woofers and an integrated powered 10" sub in the cabinet) for a long while. Viewing distance is 7 ft and I'm pushing it with an Onkyo NR656.

No question that I prefer the C2 over the CLR 3000 in my space. Here's my comment from the general Emotiva thread:

Short version: C2 is awesome, the hype is accurate, and the aesthetics aren't nearly as 'unusual' in person as the pictures can seem. If you're on the fence about the C2 or any of the AirMotiv products hop right off of it and grab some. I was a bit skeptical but am now a believer.

Been putting the C2 through its paces and man, it's just fantastic. Running it flat EQ from my Onkyo NR656 (no AccuEQ or otherwise) with manual distance measurement and crossed at 60 Hz. UHD BR via Prometheus, The Revenant, Fury, and Justice League w/ streaming Marvel movies, Heat (that outdoor gunfight...), Lincoln, and Love Death + Robots... the sound is so incredibly natural. Also did some demos with specific material that bugged me with the CLR 3000 and other centers, like the opening scene for the new season of House of Cards and the all-too-trebly Ozark mixes, and the C2 passes the test. Not so much that it 'fixes' the sounds but more that it's tolerable, more smooth than with the 3000. Music is similarly smooth and I don't detect any issues at all near the crossover points.

Regarding depth/extension, my go-to test is Steppenwolf's voice in Justice League; the C2 nails it. There's a little bit of rumble to it that adds a ton of character and the C2 picks it up perfectly. I have it crossed at 60 Hz but I feel like I could drop it to 50 or even 40 in my room if I was so inclined. Hemsworth's voice in Thor: Ragnarok has a similar type of gravel to it that the C2 captures perfectly.

If I wasn't already thrilled with my new M16s, which cost me much less than retail and are basically a perfect tonal match for the C2 given the flat response of each speaker, I would now be snagging the T1s at their clearout price.
KSpan is offline  
post #275 of 509 Old 03-21-2019, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJason22 View Post
I was considering a C1 because I like the medium size (vs. the LARGE size the C2 appears to be). However, people are mentioning the C1 is rolling off pretty steep at 100hz and I'm wondering if male voices and special effects from action films would sound $150 better on the C2.
I had a C1, then ended up returning it to pick up the discounted T1 towers. Long story short, I have another C1 arriving tomorrow after talking with the folks at Emotiva specifically about what would match up better to my T1 fronts. From memory - I don't ever remember being disappointed with the C1 when in use. The only time I noticed what felt like a sharp cutoff around 100hz was when Audyssey was doing its thing. But I also was still mainly focused on how nice my fronts sounded (T-Zero at the time, now my surrounds).

The C1 should arrive tomorrow, and I can post some legit measurements from my Anthem's ARC output, along with fresh thoughts. Off the top of my head, I'm really interested in how the C1 handles the mumbling dialog of True Detective S3, my wife and I both have a hell of a time understanding Wayne in some of those quiet scenes using the T1 pair and phantom center.
Lp85253 likes this.
swartzy.baby is offline  
post #276 of 509 Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,355
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4463 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
There are supposed to be successors to the Airmotiv "s" line ( they were shown at EmoFest 2017 ) but the tariffs ( a good idea IMO ) might impact those. The only powered speakers they had were the Stealth 8, which went on clearance. They dropped to $499 each and quickly sold out... I got the e-mail at 7PM on January 31st and immediately ordered a pair. They were gone the next day. I now have a pair of Stealth 6 I'm using for my PC audio and the 8's will be for my synthesizers.

Tariffs are not always a good idea. The consumer ultimately pays the tariff, not the company. Look at them more like higher taxes for goods. Then the same thing happens to U.S. goods exported. It turns into a tit for tat situation. No one wins. Just the lawyers and trade "negotiators."
Marc Alexander, tomd51 and Lp85253 like this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #277 of 509 Old 03-22-2019, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzy.baby View Post
I had a C1, then ended up returning it to pick up the discounted T1 towers. Long story short, I have another C1 arriving tomorrow after talking with the folks at Emotiva specifically about what would match up better to my T1 fronts. From memory - I don't ever remember being disappointed with the C1 when in use. The only time I noticed what felt like a sharp cutoff around 100hz was when Audyssey was doing its thing. But I also was still mainly focused on how nice my fronts sounded (T-Zero at the time, now my surrounds).

The C1 should arrive tomorrow, and I can post some legit measurements from my Anthem's ARC output, along with fresh thoughts. Off the top of my head, I'm really interested in how the C1 handles the mumbling dialog of True Detective S3, my wife and I both have a hell of a time understanding Wayne in some of those quiet scenes using the T1 pair and phantom center.
My C1 arrived earlier today. I've already put run through ARC calibration, and the results are (hopefully) attached. The measured drop is sharper than I remember. I haven't had a chance to form any real second opinions on the speaker yet other than it has improved dialog intelligibility specific to what I mentioned in my previous post. I've also attached the measurements from my front left T1 for a point of reference on general acoustics in my room. The various lines are just the 5 different positions that measurements were taken at, where position "1" is the center of our sofa, which is backed up against the rear wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2542846   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontLeft.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2542848  
Lp85253 likes this.
swartzy.baby is offline  
post #278 of 509 Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,034
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Tariffs are not always a good idea. The consumer ultimately pays the tariff, not the company. Look at them more like higher taxes for goods. Then the same thing happens to U.S. goods exported. It turns into a tit for tat situation. No one wins. Just the lawyers and trade "negotiators."
tariffs on Chinese goods in general equal a tax on the consumer.. which is of course a bad thing if you are in the "can afford Chinese products " mostly income bracket...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #279 of 509 Old 03-22-2019, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Played around a bit more with my new C1 and ARC. I have a TV stand with glass shelves, and the C1 is on the top. Turns out, pulling the thing forward has an impact on sound (it was previously as far back as it could go). I've attached another set of ARC measurements (refer to file names for which is pulled forward vs set back), the original I attached earlier (simplified version instead of all positions), and the new one with the center pulled forward. In the original position, ARC could only get a decently flat response down to about 120hz. With the new position, it's set at 70hz instead. The difference is astounding - with the higher setting, I could easily tell that things that should be coming from the center channel were instead booming out of my sub. Now it's much better.

I'm not 100% convinced with the C1. I'll give it a bit yet, but $150 more (for the C2) doesn't seem like much to get what should be no-compromises center channel performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center_forward.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2543008   Click image for larger version

Name:	center_back.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2543010  
Lp85253 likes this.

Last edited by swartzy.baby; 03-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.
swartzy.baby is offline  
post #280 of 509 Old 03-31-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Paul E. Fox, II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good info. Very ready for some new speakers and I'm about 99% sold on the Airmotiv line.

Also really interested in making the E1s my height/top speakers.
Paul E. Fox, II is offline  
post #281 of 509 Old 03-31-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,355
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4463 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Fox, II View Post
Good info. Very ready for some new speakers and I'm about 99% sold on the Airmotiv line.

Also really interested in making the E1s my height/top speakers.

If you can swing it, I would consider some GoldenEar SuperSats on adjustable brackets or in-ceiling's. They're fairly similar to the Airmotiv line with folded planar ribbon tweeters. It's too bad Emotiva hasn't come out with a lineup of matching Airmotiv ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #282 of 509 Old 03-31-2019, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Paul E. Fox, II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the recommendation.

Regards,
Paul
Paul E. Fox, II is offline  
post #283 of 509 Old 03-31-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,034
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzy.baby View Post
Played around a bit more with my new C1 and ARC. I have a TV stand with glass shelves, and the C1 is on the top. Turns out, pulling the thing forward has an impact on sound (it was previously as far back as it could go). I've attached another set of ARC measurements (refer to file names for which is pulled forward vs set back), the original I attached earlier (simplified version instead of all positions), and the new one with the center pulled forward. In the original position, ARC could only get a decently flat response down to about 120hz. With the new position, it's set at 70hz instead. The difference is astounding - with the higher setting, I could easily tell that things that should be coming from the center channel were instead booming out of my sub. Now it's much better.

I'm not 100% convinced with the C1. I'll give it a bit yet, but $150 more (for the C2) doesn't seem like much to get what should be no-compromises center channel performance.
huge readable differences.... nice info...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #284 of 509 Old 04-01-2019, 04:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I have a Onkyo TX- NR686 receiver on the way. It says it will work with 4 ohm speakers. But I know this is a low end receiver. Does anyone have any experience with it? Would it run too hot with the Airmotiv’s?
wnydel2 is offline  
post #285 of 509 Old 04-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
I have a Onkyo TX- NR686 receiver on the way. It says it will work with 4 ohm speakers. But I know this is a low end receiver. Does anyone have any experience with it? Would it run too hot with the Airmotiv’s?
While a 686 is far from the elite tier of receivers Onkyo knows what they're doing and I wouldn't really call it low-end. As long as you have proper ventilation for it and assuming you aren't going to be trying to run things full-range (Onkyo amp responsible for bass reproduction) at ear-splitting levels for long periods of time you'll be fine. I use my 656 with 4-ohm speakers, including an Emotiva C2, and it's fine even though it's not '4-ohm rated'.
wnydel2 likes this.
KSpan is offline  
post #286 of 509 Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
My new T1s and C2 will be arriving tomorrow. Is there a recommendation by Emotiva, or a good rule of thumb for their towers on Toe-In? I know some speakers are designed to not have any toe in due to a wide dispersion, where others benefit greatly.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #287 of 509 Old 04-08-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,034
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
My new T1s and C2 will be arriving tomorrow. Is there a recommendation by Emotiva, or a good rule of thumb for their towers on Toe-In? I know some speakers are designed to not have any toe in due to a wide dispersion, where others benefit greatly.
with the same tweeter as the b1 , i would toe in *very slightly*.. you don't need direct on axis for decent treble extension , imaging varies a bunch with the toe -in , seems to me in my room that the soundstage expands a bunch when you square off the speakers , but of course center image suffers a bit...it probably is *a room thing* as much as a speaker thing...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #288 of 509 Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,409
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8580 Post(s)
Liked: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
My new T1s and C2 will be arriving tomorrow. Is there a recommendation by Emotiva, or a good rule of thumb for their towers on Toe-In? I know some speakers are designed to not have any toe in due to a wide dispersion, where others benefit greatly.
No mention of toe in here but there is mention of other adjustments.

"However, I quickly determined two other facts. First, like most other full-range floor towers placed too close to the front wall, the T1s could sound distinctly “tubby.” Repositioning them for nearly 4 feet of open air between their baffles and the wall eliminated this. Second, the towers’ vertical sweet-spot appears fairly low and in a moderately narrow vertical window. Even when the speakers were on the supplied screw-in spikes, I had to hunch down a good 6 inches to experience full treble openness and sparkle, which I addressed by tilting the speakers back perhaps 10 degrees or so. I used CD jewel cases for easily adjustable lifts, but the same effect is more permanently available by screwing the front spikes all the way out and the rear spikes all the way in, which should just about achieve the same angle. (After writing the above, I remembered that my phone has a level function. The actual tilt measured a bit less than 6 degrees, so obviously my internal protractor is an inveterate exaggerator.)"

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...DUYLJrMSoe8.99

See page 16 and 17 of the manual for speaker placement recommendations.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/25...41154491181254
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #289 of 509 Old 04-08-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
with the same tweeter as the b1 , i would toe in *very slightly*.. you don't need direct on axis for decent treble extension , imaging varies a bunch with the toe -in , seems to me in my room that the soundstage expands a bunch when you square off the speakers , but of course center image suffers a bit...it probably is *a room thing* as much as a speaker thing...
I noticed with my current speakers, I preferred them more squared off than any toe-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
No mention of toe in here but there is mention of other adjustments.

"However, I quickly determined two other facts. First, like most other full-range floor towers placed too close to the front wall, the T1s could sound distinctly “tubby.” Repositioning them for nearly 4 feet of open air between their baffles and the wall eliminated this. Second, the towers’ vertical sweet-spot appears fairly low and in a moderately narrow vertical window. Even when the speakers were on the supplied screw-in spikes, I had to hunch down a good 6 inches to experience full treble openness and sparkle, which I addressed by tilting the speakers back perhaps 10 degrees or so. I used CD jewel cases for easily adjustable lifts, but the same effect is more permanently available by screwing the front spikes all the way out and the rear spikes all the way in, which should just about achieve the same angle. (After writing the above, I remembered that my phone has a level function. The actual tilt measured a bit less than 6 degrees, so obviously my internal protractor is an inveterate exaggerator.)"

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...DUYLJrMSoe8.99

See page 16 and 17 of the manual for speaker placement recommendations.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/25...41154491181254
Thanks. I had read the information about tilting the speakers back 10 degrees. I didn't even think about looking for a manual. Last speakers I purchased came with NOTHING so I thought that was normal for speakers. I'm going to look that over.
gajCA and Lp85253 like this.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #290 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom J. Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: IN
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for a pair of towers to use in a secondary room. My main room has a pair of really old Boston Acoustics VR-40’s that I still enjoy.

After a lot of research I’m leaning towards the T2’s with a sub purchase down the road.

Can anyone comment on the differences between the old Boston VR tweeter and the T2 ribbon? I haven’t shopped for speakers in a really long time. The only thing I’m familiar with anymore are the VR 40’s.

Wow. Just noticed the T1 is on close out for $499. If I’m adding a sub in the future will I notice a big difference between the two?

Thanks.

Last edited by Tom J. Davis; 04-11-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Tom J. Davis is offline  
post #291 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
gooch02000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J. Davis View Post
Wow. Just noticed the T1 is on close out for $499. If I’m adding a sub in the future will I notice a big difference between the two?
No. Get the T1s.
Lp85253, mpk1970 and BluesDaddy56 like this.
gooch02000 is offline  
post #292 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
My T1s and C2 arrived on Tuesday. I've been busy, so I just unboxed them today and set them up. I have yet to Run Audyssey and give them a try yet. I may not have a chance until next week as I have a lot of things going on, but we'll see.

First Impressions of the looks.

I was impressed with the packaging. All three boxes had huge gouges in them and I was very worried that the speakers would be damaged. They were not thanks to the second box, the foam and the material the speakers were wrapped in. One thing that impressed me years ago with the Elemental Design speakers is the company glued foam to a wooden board with a rope connected and wrapped around the speaker. When you opened the box and took the top layer off, you just lifted the speaker out by that ropes. However, the Emotivas weren't difficult to get out.

I personally like the looks of these speakers. The crazy angles to the fronts are fine with me. However, I have them in a dark HT, so looks aren't a huge deal. I do prefer the looks with the Grills off though.

The T1s were a little shorter than I expected. The tweeter is a couple of inches lower than my current Elemental Design Towers. One of the Reviews I read (maybe Sound & Vision) said it sounded better when they bent down, so they tilted the T1s up 6 degrees. I'm wondering if that's because maybe the Tweeter is lower than some other towers at a specific ear level in a seat?

The C2, although I measured and knew it was going to be bigger than my current Center, it was more than I expected. Not a problem as I have a Wooden Box covered in Felt that it sits on and angles up towards the MLP. It's about the same height and depth of my current center, but it's quite a big longer. It's MUCH heavier as well.

Looking forward to trying them out.
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #293 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,668
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
@tonybradley I think the C2 always catches ppl by surprise with its size even when you know its big it still shows up....even bigger than what one thought
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
mpk1970 is offline  
post #294 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
@tonybradley I think the C2 always catches ppl by surprise with its size even when you know its big it still shows up....even bigger than what one thought
When the box was almost as big as the T1 boxes, I did a double take

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #295 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
When the box was almost as big as the T1 boxes, I did a double take
We were both debating on what to get and you and I settled on these. Although I’m still debating on the T1 or T2. But I am going to make a purchase within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I would love to hear your impressions of how these sound.

What really sold me was the C2. Of the other choices I was debating, I couldn’t picture any of them being as good a center as the C2, it just looks impressive.
wnydel2 is offline  
post #296 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
@tonybradley I think the C2 always catches ppl by surprise with its size even when you know its big it still shows up....even bigger than what one thought
My wife said the c2 looked like a coffin when I first got it. Lol
jsb75 is online now  
post #297 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom J. Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: IN
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is Emotiva replacing the T1 with something else?
Tom J. Davis is offline  
post #298 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
We were both debating on what to get and you and I settled on these. Although I’m still debating on the T1 or T2. But I am going to make a purchase within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I would love to hear your impressions of how these sound.

What really sold me was the C2. Of the other choices I was debating, I couldn’t picture any of them being as good a center as the C2, it just looks impressive.
If you wait too long, the decision may be made for you. After I ordered mine, I realized I wanted the E1s on Closeout as my surrounds are deep bookshelf speakers and people almost take their head off with them every time. Went back to order and they were sold out. Same may happen with the T1s on Closeout.
gajCA and wnydel2 like this.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #299 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
My wife said the c2 looked like a coffin when I first got it. Lol
HA!! I can see that. I hope it sounds as big as it is.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #300 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

If you wait too long, the decision may be made for you. After I ordered mine, I realized I wanted the E1s on Closeout as my surrounds are deep bookshelf speakers and people almost take their head off with them every time. Went back to order and they were sold out. Same may happen with the T1s on Closeout.
I did think about that. Hopefully I will still have a choice when the time comes.
wnydel2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off