Official Emotiva Airmotiv Speaker Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 360Likes

post #301 of 509 Old 04-11-2019, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
HA!! I can see that. I hope it sounds as big as it is.
Actually to me most centers I've had that have 6 1/2 drivers all sound "big" just different sound signatures. 5 1/4 centers don't do it for me. Except for the chane a2.4 that didn't sound small to me at all. Actually wish I would of kept it just to go back and forth with the c2. But the "biggest" sounding center I ever had was a paradigm 5se speaker laid on it's side. Just had a nice thick over the top presentation. The 8 inch woofer in that speaker would outshine any other center I've had as far as sheer punch and "big" sounding. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't like it though. Everything was big and exaggerated . Not accurate at all as far as dialog. But I never had to bump the center level up at all. Lol

Last edited by jsb75; 04-11-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Quite the review and comparisons!

I'll quote your review here for posterity if that's ok:

"I've been looking for a front pair for about 6 months now, finally got my T-Zero pair and really couldn't be happier.

I tried the B1 first, and while my wife and I were both positively blown away by how real everything sounded, I felt that they didn't offer quite as much "oomph" as I wanted my fronts to offer, so naturally I returned them and picked up the T2. The "oomph" had arrived, but somehow neither of us were as "wow"-ed by the towers as we had been by the B1, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the height of the tweeter relative to our seating position. It didn't help that the speakers were absolutely monstrously large and overwhelmed our basement (12 x 24 x 7-ish). So they went back, and I decided to try out some KEF speakers. I went with the Q350 first, and while they were pretty decent, that "wow" was still missing. So I upgraded to the R300, which have been on sale for some time now because of their replacements. They added some pretty stellar imaging + soundstage tricks, but still that "wow" we had with music the B1 just wasn't quite there.

I kept the R300 for a few months, then I saw the announcement for the T-Zero and they looked like kind of exactly what I'd been wanting from the T2, namely tweeter at about the same height as our B1 stand-mounted, more power handling than the B1 (this was an assumption based on the additional driver, I never bothered to verify in the specs), and significantly more svelte-looking than both the T1 and T2. Sold.

The T-Zero arrived today, and while it's obviously very soon to say much definitively, I can confirm that for us the magic has returned. There's just something about these that makes everything sound more like a live show than even the R300, which retailed for significantly more. And from what I can tell so far, imaging seems rock solid as well. If anybody has specific questions about how something sounds, I'd be happy to take a listen myself and try to explain. And if anybody's in the northern Indiana area (South Bend), I'd be open to demoing.

Every speaker I've been through has been powered by my trusty old 51-lb Boston Acoustics AVR-7120 receiver, which definitely has an adequate amount of power, and paired with the SVS PB13-Ultra."
Nice glad to read this , cause I' thinking of trying (getting ) the B1's..
You said the B1's wowed you but didn't oomph you , and the T1 oomphed you but didn't wow you?
What is the difference between ''wow'' and ''oomph'' exactly ...?
post #303 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

If any one wants to sell there B1's used speakers , * maybe to upgrade to towers or other reason, pm me..I can give cash + 100$ amazon gift card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
You said the B1's wowed you but didn't oomph you , and the T1 oomphed you but didn't wow you?
That was a quote from a review link provided earlier so not my words.

Sorry for the confusion.

Geoff A. J., California
post #305 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
That's a quote from a post I did, I think on Emotiva's forums.

The B1 "wow"ed us by sounding very, very, very realistic. Like, scary realistic, specifically with acoustic guitar (Hotel California on "Hell Freezes Over" album). It was with louder/busier stuff that it didn't quite deliver enough "oomph" (slam, punch, impact, that sort of thing). When I switched to the T2 (not the T1), obviously those 8" woofers deliver the punch I was talking about, but that realistic sound was gone, hence the "no wow". I think the difference there was because the tweeter on the T2 is higher than the B1 (and T-Zero, and T1) and it wasn't quite hitting us in the right place. Either that or it really needs a beefier amp, which is possible. So, there was "oomph" but no much less "wow".
post #306 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzy.baby View Post

The B1 "wow"ed us by sounding very, very, very realistic. Like, scary realistic, specifically with acoustic guitar (Hotel California on "Hell Freezes Over" album). It was with louder/busier stuff that it didn't quite deliver enough "oomph" (slam, punch, impact, that sort of thing). When I switched to the T2 (not the T1), obviously those 8" woofers deliver the punch I was talking about, but that realistic sound was gone, hence the "no wow". I think the difference there was because the tweeter on the T2 is higher than the B1 (and T-Zero, and T1) and it wasn't quite hitting us in the right place. Either that or it really needs a beefier amp, which is possible. So, there was "oomph" but no much less "wow".
Yea that's a usual compromise when you switch from bookshelf to towers...Clarity vs impact ..etc..
post #307 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
@swartzy.baby you live in South Bend, huh? I'm originally from there and still do come back every other year or so to visit family.
post #308 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
@swartzy.baby you live in South Bend, huh? I'm originally from there and still do come back every other year or so to visit family.
Yep, good ol' South Bend Family's about the only thing keeping us here, but we're probably here for a while yet.
post #309 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I ran Audyssey this evening and then watched several scenes from different movies. The T1s and C2 sounded fine, but didn't blow me away. I'm not real sure if I can tell much of a difference compared to the Elemental Designs. Especially from the Center. Dialog was clear, but sounded sort of weak like my Ed sounded. I played with the crossovers, moved Audyssey from Reference to Flat, Dynamic EQ on and off, etc. Doesn't sound bad at all, but still something missing. I have learned quickly that by moving my subs to new locations, they don't sound great and maybe that's what I'm missing from the system as a whole. I don't have much thump anymore and maybe is why deeper voice males don't sound as deep as I think they should. Nor do gravely voices have that gravel to them. They do seem quite natural.....very laid back. I'm thinking that bad room acoustics may be a big part of my issue. I have velvet panels on the side walls with Bass Traps in front corners and Rigid Fiberglass at First Reflection Points. Maybe the Velvet and the fiber boards are too much absorption of the Highs.

I played movies for over an hour. Mostly around -17 to -10dB. I felt the Denon AVR after and it was no hotter than it was when I left it on for several hours. I plan to mess around with movies and settings more next week and watch a full movie and just sit back and relax.

I think my next big step is to buy a mic and run REW with subs in multiple spots to see where is the best in the limited places I have to test.

Tony
post #310 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I ran Audyssey this evening and then watched several scenes from different movies. The T1s and C2 sounded fine, but didn't blow me away. I'm not real sure if I can tell much of a difference compared to the Elemental Designs. Especially from the Center. Dialog was clear, but sounded sort of weak like my Ed sounded. I played with the crossovers, moved Audyssey from Reference to Flat, Dynamic EQ on and off, etc. Doesn't sound bad at all, but still something missing. I have learned quickly that by moving my subs to new locations, they don't sound great and maybe that's what I'm missing from the system as a whole. I don't have much thump anymore and maybe is why deeper voice males don't sound as deep as I think they should. Nor do gravely voices have that gravel to them. They do seem quite natural.....very laid back. I'm thinking that bad room acoustics may be a big part of my issue. I have velvet panels on the side walls with Bass Traps in front corners and Rigid Fiberglass at First Reflection Points. Maybe the Velvet and the fiber boards are too much absorption of the Highs.

I played movies for over an hour. Mostly around -17 to -10dB. I felt the Denon AVR after and it was no hotter than it was when I left it on for several hours. I plan to mess around with movies and settings more next week and watch a full movie and just sit back and relax.

I think my next big step is to buy a mic and run REW with subs in multiple spots to see where is the best in the limited places I have to test.
I wonder if there is a break in factor too?
post #311 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

You are selling your T1’s and T-Zeroes. Is there an issue with them? I have a pair of T1’s and a C2 coming soon and am wondering why you are selling what appears to be highly rated speakers. I noticed you also have T2’s but it sounds like you preferred the T1’s.
post #312 of 509 Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Sounds like a good plan. My C2 and it sounds pretty much exactly like my CLR-3000 did, and that had a 10" integrated subwoofer. I'm sure I could have cranked up the sub and it would have outpaced the C2, but for a realistic setup they're basically equivalent and the C2 has the edge in 'natural' and spaciousness to my ear.
post #313 of 509 Old 04-13-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
You are selling your T1’s and T-Zeroes. Is there an issue with them? I have a pair of T1’s and a C2 coming soon and am wondering why you are selling what appears to be highly rated speakers. I noticed you also have T2’s but it sounds like you preferred the T1’s.
The T1s are awesome, you're getting great sounding speakers, especially considering their price. I did prefer the T1 over the T2, but as I mentioned I think that had more to do with the height of the tweeter relative to our listening position.

I made a whole post about this somewhere, but honestly the reason I'm selling them is because I got it in my head that I wanted a pair of B&W speakers and was willing to up the budget to get them. So that happened, and now I've just got too many speakers sitting around in a space that's becoming smaller by the day.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #314 of 509 Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
I wonder if there is a break in factor too?
There may be, even though there is a big debate on speaker break in....is it the speakers breaking in, or just our ears changing as we get used to a new sound.

I'm going to keep playing with them. I did put on a few scenes of the Hobbit and the Ed Sheeran song at the end sounded way better than my last set of speakers. Right now, I think my issue is with my Sub placement. My Denon set the crossovers of the T1s and C2 at 40Hz. I moved them to 80Hz, but am going to do some testing with them at 40Hz. My speaker is placed fairly low, but during dialogue of a movie, I moved my head from the ground and stood up and I could not hear any difference. The C2 must have a good vertical dispersion

Tony
post #315 of 509 Old 04-13-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
There may be, even though there is a big debate on speaker break in....is it the speakers breaking in, or just our ears changing as we get used to a new sound.

I'm going to keep playing with them. I did put on a few scenes of the Hobbit and the Ed Sheeran song at the end sounded way better than my last set of speakers. Right now, I think my issue is with my Sub placement. My Denon set the crossovers of the T1s and C2 at 40Hz. I moved them to 80Hz, but am going to do some testing with them at 40Hz. My speaker is placed fairly low, but during dialogue of a movie, I moved my head from the ground and stood up and I could not hear any difference. The C2 must have a good vertical dispersion
i think your issue is probably sub placement as well.. keep after it ..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #316 of 509 Old 04-14-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i think your issue is probably sub placement as well.. keep after it ..
I've been reading up on REW so I can test with my Subs in different locations. Because I have a Low ceiling, and can't get my Screen closer to the ceiling with my current PJ, my SVS Sub is too tall to fit in the front under my screen. So both are on opposite side walls. I never wanted a sub woofer on my riser in the back of the room, but I will use it as one of the test locations just because I'm limited with spots to place them.
Lp85253 likes this.

Tony
post #317 of 509 Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I've been reading up on REW so I can test with my Subs in different locations. Because I have a Low ceiling, and can't get my Screen closer to the ceiling with my current PJ, my SVS Sub is too tall to fit in the front under my screen. So both are on opposite side walls. I never wanted a sub woofer on my riser in the back of the room, but I will use it as one of the test locations just because I'm limited with spots to place them.
Will it fit if you lay it on its side?

Geoff A. J., California
post #318 of 509 Old 04-14-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will it fit if you lay it on its side?
I just measured. Yes, yes it will!! Will that have any negative effect on the Subwoofer performance by lying it on its side? Not that it would be worse than now.

My other is a Cylinder Sub, so it will have to remain on one of the side walls. I need to test it with both Subs on and just the Box Sub up front.

Is Rule of Thumb to have the Speaker aimed towards the listeners, the front wall, or towards the center or main? I know it's best to try all and re-run Audyssey for each....but just wondering if there is a rule of thumb.

Tony
post #319 of 509 Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I just measured. Yes, yes it will!! Will that have any negative effect on the Subwoofer performance by lying it on its side? Not that it would be worse than now.

My other is a Cylinder Sub, so it will have to remain on one of the side walls. I need to test it with both Subs on and just the Box Sub up front.

Is Rule of Thumb to have the Speaker aimed towards the listeners, the front wall, or towards the center or main? I know it's best to try all and re-run Audyssey for each....but just wondering if there is a rule of thumb.
Well, this guy wrote to SVS to see if his cylinder sub was OK on its side and they said "yes"!

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...ts-side.77516/

I've read some on AVS pointing the sub's woofer towards the wall with good results but I've always had mine pointing straight forward, not even toed in like front left and right are and that works fine as well.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #320 of 509 Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, this guy wrote to SVS to see if his cylinder sub was OK on its side and they said "yes"!

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...ts-side.77516/

I've read some on AVS pointing the sub's woofer towards the wall with good results but I've always had mine pointing straight forward, not even toed in like front left and right are and that works fine as well.
Super. I'm so glad you brought this up. I wouldn't have though about lying my sub on its side. Especially not that tall cylinder. LOL. If I did the Cylinder like that, it would have to come out perpendicular to the front wall as it's too long to place between the Center and either L/R. But hey, it's a dedicated room and always dark, why not
Lp85253 likes this.

Tony
post #321 of 509 Old 04-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Super. I'm so glad you brought this up. I wouldn't have though about lying my sub on its side. Especially not that tall cylinder. LOL. If I did the Cylinder like that, it would have to come out perpendicular to the front wall as it's too long to place between the Center and either L/R. But hey, it's a dedicated room and always dark, why not
Subwoofers, unlike main speakers, seem perfectly happy in many orientations!

I certainly can't take credit for that little bit of advice as I too learned it here on AVS.

But not the Cylinder sub on its side; never seen that discussed here before though I'm sure it has.

Have fun.

Geoff A. J., California
post #322 of 509 Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
@tonybradley keep the crossovers at 80 imo
I didnt care at all for what Audyssey assigned to my system. Just manually made the changes to what I liked based on my room

Keep plugging away.
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #323 of 509 Old 04-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
The T1s are awesome, you're getting great sounding speakers, especially considering their price. I did prefer the T1 over the T2, but as I mentioned I think that had more to do with the height of the tweeter relative to our listening position.

I made a whole post about this somewhere, but honestly the reason I'm selling them is because I got it in my head that I wanted a pair of B&W speakers and was willing to up the budget to get them. So that happened, and now I've just got too many speakers sitting around in a space that's becoming smaller by the day.
I received my T1’s and C2 a few days ago and have been testing them with various content. I have a small 10x14 room so the T2’s seemed to be overkill. Very impressed so far with everything I have heard. Vocals are spot on with the C2. The T1’s sound great in 2 channel with subs. And for Home theater use I am also very impressed. I went from Acoustech to Aperion to Onix Rocket and the Emotiva’s are definitely a winner. The highs are wonderful without being fatiguing. The midrange and bass are excellent. I couldn’t be happier. Not sure what I could upgrade to near this price point that would be as good for music and HT. To me the center channel is the key. I went from the Onix Rocket Bigfoot to the C2 and the C2 did not disappoint at all. Airmotiv’s are the best speaker bang for the buck overall in my opinion.
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.
post #324 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I moved my Sub to the front, and laid it on its side to fit under the screen. I then ran Audyssey again. Definitely sounds better than it did, but still not the best. I like the sound of the T1s and the C2 just fine. The C2 produces clearer dialogue during Action Scenes than any other Center I've had. But, for as big as it is, I was looking for it to sound "bigger" than it does. I found that listening at -15dB or so on my Denon X3400H, I still have a lack of punch with the sub. With Dynamic EQ on, it definitely provides much better LFE at that volume, but during any scene with minimal LFE, there is a constant Low Frequency rumbling the entire time and it makes my ears hurt. Doesn't sound natural. I turned off Dynamic EQ and that constant LFE went away and was much more pleasing to my ears. However, the amount of LFE then dropped and many scenes just sounded to weak to me. Still have more trial and error, but due to time, it will have to be little by little.
Lp85253 likes this.

Tony
post #325 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I moved my Sub to the front, and laid it on its side to fit under the screen. I then ran Audyssey again. Definitely sounds better than it did, but still not the best. I like the sound of the T1s and the C2 just fine. The C2 produces clearer dialogue during Action Scenes than any other Center I've had. But, for as big as it is, I was looking for it to sound "bigger" than it does. I found that listening at -15dB or so on my Denon X3400H, I still have a lack of punch with the sub. With Dynamic EQ on, it definitely provides much better LFE at that volume, but during any scene with minimal LFE, there is a constant Low Frequency rumbling the entire time and it makes my ears hurt. Doesn't sound natural. I turned off Dynamic EQ and that constant LFE went away and was much more pleasing to my ears. However, the amount of LFE then dropped and many scenes just sounded to weak to me. Still have more trial and error, but due to time, it will have to be little by little.
turn off dynamic eq.. turn up the sub level (after calibration ) in the settings.. this may help...turn down the sub level for regular use (music, reg. tv)
mpk1970 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #326 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
What are you crossing the C2 over at? Also, what subs are you running? The better the sub(s) the higher you can set the crossover and still get quality "oomph". I've tried various settings with mine, 40hz, 60hz, 80hz. And am spending time now with it at 80hz, but 60hz sound really good as well.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #327 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4467 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:

I know this is all subjective, but normally subs will only really kick in and stand out for certain sequences if you're dealing with movie soundtracks. Some have even been bass filtered/neutered for a strange reason (probably the mixer felt he or she needed to be soundbar friendly or some such nonsense). For music, it all depends on what instruments are being reproduced. If someone is speaking or a door shuts or some scenario like that, I wouldn't expect the sub to do much of anything if your cross-over is set correctly and not too high.
Lp85253 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #328 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
As suggested try raising the subwoofer trim in the AVR menu.

Dynamic EQ with a 15 or 10db offset may also work for you.

Geoff A. J., California
post #329 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I know this is all subjective, but normally subs will only really kick in and stand out for certain sequences if you're dealing with movie soundtracks. Some have even been bass filtered/neutered for a strange reason (probably the mixer felt he or she needed to be soundbar friendly or some such nonsense). For music, it all depends on what instruments are being reproduced. If someone is speaking or a door shuts or some scenario like that, I wouldn't expect the sub to do much of anything if your cross-over is set correctly and not too high.
i agree with this .. if a person can feel the bass , that's about as good as it gets for most of us .. and that's in a small % of content..

post #330 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I moved my Sub to the front, and laid it on its side to fit under the screen. I then ran Audyssey again. Definitely sounds better than it did, but still not the best.
Remind us what subs you are using and how large the space is.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page