Official Emotiva Airmotiv Speaker Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 360Likes

post #331 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
turn off dynamic eq.. turn up the sub level (after calibration ) in the settings.. this may help...turn down the sub level for regular use (music, reg. tv)
After I was playing around with the settings while watching Aquaman, I realized this is what I want to try next. I only watch movies in this room, so that's all I'd be shooting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
What are you crossing the C2 over at? Also, what subs are you running? The better the sub(s) the higher you can set the crossover and still get quality "oomph". I've tried various settings with mine, 40hz, 60hz, 80hz. And am spending time now with it at 80hz, but 60hz sound really good as well.
Audyssey/Denon set my Crossover for the Mains and Center at 40Hz. I moved that up to 80Hz. I watched a youtube video from Subwoofer 101 who gave a "Hack" to raise the Crossover of your mains and center to 90 or 100 as that can sometimes help the performance of LFE. I moved it up to 90Hz, but don't know if I noticed a difference with the 80Hz I had it set at before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
As suggested try raising the subwoofer trim in the AVR menu.

Dynamic EQ with a 15 or 10db offset may also work for you.
What does the Offset do? I saw that underneath the Dynamic EQ, and it's defaulted to 0dB.

Quote:
Remind us what subs you are using and how large the space is.
Room is not ideal due to height. The room is 13' wide by 19' deep. However, the Ceiling is low, and very low in the back. The ceiling height is 7'6" from front wall back to about 11'. The ceiling drops down about 6-8" for the remaining 8' to the back wall. Where the ceiling drops down, I also have about a 6-7" Riser, so the actual height of that 8' to the back wall is about 6'6". These are estimates as I haven't measured that for a long time.

I have two SVS Subs.

I have a PB12-NSD (which has a native 20 Hz tune with a single 4" Port) that I turned on the side and is in the front between my Left and Center speaker, with the Sub's speaker facing the listeners. My other SVS Sub is an older 16-46 CS Plus (which has a native 16Hz Tune with all ports open). Per Ed Mullen, they will still work together. This Cylinder Sub is placed along the right wall, about 11' from the front wall. That's the only place I have for the Cylinder Sub UNLESS I put it behind the back row of seats. However, the Riser doesn't contain sand, just Pink Insulation as I never intended placing a sub back there. Maybe I should run Audyssey without the Cylinder Sub in the equation?

Years ago, I had the PB12-NSD in the front Left corner and it sounded good (I did not have the Cylinder Sub at the time....it was given to me by a friend a few years back and this is the first time I've used it). I am now unable to place the PB12 in that corner with the new set up. At that ime, I used my Radio Shack SPL Meter and a Spreadsheet from AVS (this was from many years ago) that included Adjustments on the Spreadsheet for certain frequencies since the SPL meter wasn't exact at certain low frequencies. I played a CD with 10Hz up to about 100Hz, logged the dB readings from the SPL Meter into the spreadsheet and looked at the Curve. I moved that one sub around until I had the flattest curve and it was in the front left corner.

I have my L/R/C all pushed out a couple feet from the front wall. Does the C2 do better closer to a boundary wall or out from it?
Lp85253 likes this.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 509 Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
After I was playing around with the settings while watching Aquaman, I realized this is what I want to try next. I only watch movies in this room, so that's all I'd be shooting for.

Audyssey/Denon set my Crossover for the Mains and Center at 40Hz. I moved that up to 80Hz. I watched a youtube video from Subwoofer 101 who gave a "Hack" to raise the Crossover of your mains and center to 90 or 100 as that can sometimes help the performance of LFE. I moved it up to 90Hz, but don't know if I noticed a difference with the 80Hz I had it set at before.

What does the Offset do? I saw that underneath the Dynamic EQ, and it's defaulted to 0dB.

Room is not ideal due to height. The room is 13' wide by 19' deep. However, the Ceiling is low, and very low in the back. The ceiling height is 7'6" from front wall back to about 11'. The ceiling drops down about 6-8" for the remaining 8' to the back wall. Where the ceiling drops down, I also have about a 6-7" Riser, so the actual height of that 8' to the back wall is about 6'6". These are estimates as I haven't measured that for a long time.

I have two SVS Subs.

I have a PB12-NSD (which has a native 20 Hz tune with a single 4" Port) that I turned on the side and is in the front between my Left and Center speaker, with the Sub's speaker facing the listeners. My other SVS Sub is an older 16-46 CS Plus (which has a native 16Hz Tune with all ports open). Per Ed Mullen, they will still work together. This Cylinder Sub is placed along the right wall, about 11' from the front wall. That's the only place I have for the Cylinder Sub UNLESS I put it behind the back row of seats. However, the Riser doesn't contain sand, just Pink Insulation as I never intended placing a sub back there. Maybe I should run Audyssey without the Cylinder Sub in the equation?

Years ago, I had the PB12-NSD in the front Left corner and it sounded good (I did not have the Cylinder Sub at the time....it was given to me by a friend a few years back and this is the first time I've used it). I am now unable to place the PB12 in that corner with the new set up. At that ime, I used my Radio Shack SPL Meter and a Spreadsheet from AVS (this was from many years ago) that included Adjustments on the Spreadsheet for certain frequencies since the SPL meter wasn't exact at certain low frequencies. I played a CD with 10Hz up to about 100Hz, logged the dB readings from the SPL Meter into the spreadsheet and looked at the Curve. I moved that one sub around until I had the flattest curve and it was in the front left corner.

I have my L/R/C all pushed out a couple feet from the front wall. Does the C2 do better closer to a boundary wall or out from it?
give it a shot .. sometimes just blind luck is the way to find the proper set up.. it may be a variation or combo of the above suggestions... the c2 should sound better with a little room to breathe , but that's opinion , not experience...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #333 of 509 Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8576 Post(s)
Liked: 5776
Quote:

From Audyssey:

Despite what they say here, I cannot use it for modern films at "normal" listening levels as it give me "over boost" of the sub and center bass content but you might want to try 10db offset as per below.

"Audyssey Dynamic EQ is referenced to the standard film mix level. It makes adjustments to maintain the reference response and surround envelopment when the volume is turned down from 0 dB. However, film reference level is not always used in music or other non-film content.

The Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.

0 dB (Film Ref): This is the default setting and should be used when listening to movies.

15 dB: Select this setting for pop/rock music or other program material that is mixed at very high listening levels and has a compressed dynamic range.

10 dB: Select this setting for jazz or other music that has a wider dynamic range. This setting should also be selected for TV content as that is usually mixed at 10 dB below film reference.

5 dB: Select this setting for content that has a very wide dynamic range, such as classical music."

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 509 Old 04-22-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
You may want to check in settings after running AUdyssey to make sure it didn't set the center at a lower volume setting.....if I were in your shoes I would play with everything manually while watching/listening to something whether music or movie---

People are Audyssey Police yet every room is different and its not perfect software by no means. Ppl swear by it---I surely don't
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #335 of 509 Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
You may want to check in settings after running AUdyssey to make sure it didn't set the center at a lower volume setting.....if I were in your shoes I would play with everything manually while watching/listening to something whether music or movie---

People are Audyssey Police yet every room is different and its not perfect software by no means. Ppl swear by it---I surely don't
It works well but is hardly "plug and play" as it often sets speakers to "large" with 40hz crossovers, Audyssey bypass "on" and Dynamic EQ "on."

The two systems I "tweaked" in the last few months BOTH had these errors and setting to "small" with 80hz crossovers, Audyssey Reference and Dynamic EQ "off" made both sound better.
mpk1970 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #336 of 509 Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
It works well but is hardly "plug and play" as it often sets speakers to "large" with 40hz crossovers, Audyssey bypass "on" and Dynamic EQ "on."

The two systems I "tweaked" in the last few months BOTH had these errors and setting to "small" with 80hz crossovers, Audyssey Reference and Dynamic EQ "off" made both sound better.
From what I've read, Audyssey doesn't set the crossovers, but the receiver manufacturer does (in my case, Denon). What's crazy is how you can run it one time, and they set the LCR at Large, but then run it again and the LCR are set to Small with a 40Hz Crossover. I also find it amusing when it sets my old and cheap Polk Bookshelf speakers I use for Surrounds at a 40 or 60Hz Crossover.

I have also read that there could be a problem with the Mic. My goodness.....how would you know that? I'm also thinking of removing my Broadband Absorption Panels at the First Reflection points and re-running Audyssey just to see how that sounds.

I have also noticed that most people raise the Level of the Subwoofer within the receiver by a few dB after Audyssey. How many extra dB do most people like to increase the Sub Level after Audyssey?

Tony
post #337 of 509 Old 04-23-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From what I've read, Audyssey doesn't set the crossovers, but the receiver manufacturer does (in my case, Denon). What's crazy is how you can run it one time, and they set the LCR at Large, but then run it again and the LCR are set to Small with a 40Hz Crossover. I also find it amusing when it sets my old and cheap Polk Bookshelf speakers I use for Surrounds at a 40 or 60Hz Crossover.

I have also read that there could be a problem with the Mic. My goodness.....how would you know that? I'm also thinking of removing my Broadband Absorption Panels at the First Reflection points and re-running Audyssey just to see how that sounds.

I have also noticed that most people raise the Level of the Subwoofer within the receiver by a few dB after Audyssey. How many extra dB do most people like to increase the Sub Level after Audyssey?
i raise my sub trim by 1db to 5 db depending on content .. action movies at one end (+5) and blues / rock music at +1.. if i am worried about it (not often) i run reg tv about +2/3... generally i try to get the reciever to set the sub up at about -7/-8 to start with....

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #338 of 509 Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:

I leave my subwoofer level pretty much where it was set if not lower, (DD15), but I raise the center a few db and lower the surrounds a few db.

Geoff A. J., California
post #339 of 509 Old 04-23-2019, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

This is close to how I have mine set up. I tried 60hz and the speakers sounded fine but lost the oomph from the subs. Moving to 80hz is the sweet spot in my room. I also have the Audyssey MultEQ app and set T1’s and C2 to the Schroeder frequency at 300hz and the Emotiva’s sound great as they measured relatively flat through the spectrum.
gajCA likes this.
post #340 of 509 Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
This is close to how I have mine set up. I tried 60hz and the speakers sounded fine but lost the oomph from the subs. Moving to 80hz is the sweet spot in my room. I also have the Audyssey MultEQ app and set T1’s and C2 to the Schroeder frequency at 300hz and the Emotiva’s sound great as they measured relatively flat through the spectrum.
Did you visit Aperion when considering speakers as they are near Portland.

Geoff A. J., California
post #341 of 509 Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Did you visit Aperion when considering speakers as they are near Portland.
Not this go around but I have been there before. Good group of people they have there. I had a pair of 6T's, a 6C and a pair of 6B's of a couple of years ago. They were really good speakers.

Triad is also locally based. I haven't been there but have been meaning to check it out. A little out of my price range though. The Inroom Platinum Center and LCR are intriguing weighing in at around 140lbs.
gajCA likes this.
post #342 of 509 Old 04-27-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzy.baby View Post
The T1s are awesome, you're getting great sounding speakers, especially considering their price. I did prefer the T1 over the T2, but as I mentioned I think that had more to do with the height of the tweeter relative to our listening position.

I made a whole post about this somewhere, but honestly the reason I'm selling them is because I got it in my head that I wanted a pair of B&W speakers and was willing to up the budget to get them. So that happened, and now I've just got too many speakers sitting around in a space that's becoming smaller by the day.
Can't believe someone hasn't snapped up your T1 and T0s as you are selling them for peanuts.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #343 of 509 Old 04-27-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...t2-loudspeaker
Lp85253 likes this.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
post #344 of 509 Old 04-27-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post
i can verify that the AMT tweeter used in the emo's is great for a low priced speaker..it rivals the entry level wharfedale's for sounding life like and they are a bit more extended and airy..
l0nestar8 likes this.

post #345 of 509 Old 05-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Folks,

I have been a lurker on this site over 15 years and I just recently moved into a new place and putting together my theater. Here are the room dimensions and I am wondering if I can get away with Emotiva B1’s or should I push for the T1’s.

Mostly for home theater and some music.

I have a Pioneer VSX-921-K 7.1-Channel Receiver.
Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz,.08%[email protected]) 80
Power Output Per Channel (1kHz,1%[email protected]) 125
Channels 7.1
Power Output Per Channel ([email protected]) 110

Acoustech H-100 Subwoofer.

Cinema Series 500 Watt Front Firing Subwoofer.
150 watts RMS continuous power output and 500 watts peak output
24 to 200 Hz frequency response; 40 to 150 Hz crossover frequency range

Video:
Epson 8350 on a 158” 2.35:1 Silverticket Productions fixed screen.

Goal:
Clear, precise dialogue and sounds at Low to medium levels in a room located in a townhome.

Questions:

Will the B1’s do the job as Front Left/Right (especially since I won’t be blasting the system in a townhome)?

Will the C2 center channel speaker blend well with B1’s or T1’s?

Will my older Pioneer Receiver be able to support these 4 Ohm speakers, especially when it clearly says in the literature that it supports 8 and 6 Ohm?

Do you guys recommend any other speakers like ELAC Un-Fi’s, or Klipsch at this price point?

post #346 of 509 Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Hey Folks,

I have been a lurker on this site over 15 years and I just recently moved into a new place and putting together my theater. Here are the room dimensions and I am wondering if I can get away with Emotiva B1’s or should I push for the T1’s.

Channels 7.1

Video:

Goal:
Clear, precise dialogue and sounds at Low to medium levels in a room located in a townhome.

Questions:

Will the B1’s do the job as Front Left/Right (especially since I won’t be blasting the system in a townhome)?

Will my older Pioneer Receiver be able to support these 4 Ohm speakers, especially when it clearly says in the literature that it supports 8 and 6 Ohm?

Do you guys recommend any other speakers like ELAC Un-Fi’s, or Klipsch at this price point?

b1's might not be enough for dynamics.. t1's will be better for high volume..the 4 ohm issue is debatable in that the t1's are probably closer to 6 ohm speakers and emotiva rates them at 4 to encourage amp sales...
drh3b likes this.

post #347 of 509 Old 05-18-2019, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzy.baby View Post
The T1s are awesome, you're getting great sounding speakers, especially considering their price. I did prefer the T1 over the T2, but as I mentioned I think that had more to do with the height of the tweeter relative to our listening position.

I made a whole post about this somewhere, but honestly the reason I'm selling them is because I got it in my head that I wanted a pair of B&W speakers and was willing to up the budget to get them. So that happened, and now I've just got too many speakers sitting around in a space that's becoming smaller by the day.
Jesse,

Thanks for the awesome deal on your T1’s. I’m heading to Evansville this weekend to set them up for my son.

Curious, which B&W’s did you go with?
Lp85253 likes this.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #348 of 509 Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
b1's might not be enough for dynamics.. t1's will be better for high volume..the 4 ohm issue is debatable in that the t1's are probably closer to 6 ohm speakers and emotiva rates them at 4 to encourage amp sales...
That was a myth promulgated by Zorba but, oddly, most owners don't mention any issues running the Emotivas with run of the mill AVRs.

T1 (purple) +0.60/–2.50 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 56 Hz, –6 dB @ 37 Hz; impedance minimum 3.51 ohms @ 114 Hz, phase angle –71.31º @ 66 Hz; sensitivity 90 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

C1 (green) +1.74/–1.84 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 84 Hz, –6 dB @ 68 Hz; impedance minimum 4.18 ohms @ 162 Hz, phase angle –51.26º @ 96 Hz; sensitivity 89.5 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

E1 (red) +1.35/–3.94 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 90 Hz, –6 dB @ 72 Hz; impedance minimum 5.08 ohms @ 251 Hz, phase angle –45.46º @ 139 Hz; sensitivity 86.5 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...2UoOuiQ2vRc.99
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #349 of 509 Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was a myth promulgated by Zorba but, oddly, most owners don't mention any issues running the Emotivas with run of the mill AVRs.

T1 (purple) +0.60/–2.50 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 56 Hz, –6 dB @ 37 Hz; impedance minimum 3.51 ohms @ 114 Hz, phase angle –71.31º @ 66 Hz; sensitivity 90 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

C1 (green) +1.74/–1.84 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 84 Hz, –6 dB @ 68 Hz; impedance minimum 4.18 ohms @ 162 Hz, phase angle –51.26º @ 96 Hz; sensitivity 89.5 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

E1 (red) +1.35/–3.94 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 90 Hz, –6 dB @ 72 Hz; impedance minimum 5.08 ohms @ 251 Hz, phase angle –45.46º @ 139 Hz; sensitivity 86.5 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...2UoOuiQ2vRc.99
whoever did the avs review of the t1(can't remember who it was) mentioned them as measuring closer to a 6 ohm nominal load in the subsequent thread iirc.. i think that may be Zorba's source...

post #350 of 509 Old 05-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Jesse,

Thanks for the awesome deal on your T1’s. I’m heading to Evansville this weekend to set them up for my son.

Curious, which B&W’s did you go with?
Awesome

I knew I wanted a model with their tweeter pod, but their current stuff is more than I was willing to spend, and anything older than the CM line wasn't quite my cup of tea aesthetically, so I ended up getting a used pair of the CM6 series 2 speakers...and then an XPA-3 to power them. There were some improvements making the amp switch, I was tempted to see how the T1 sounded off the XPA as well, but I'd already boxed them up at that point.
post #351 of 509 Old 05-18-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Hey Folks,

Channels 7.1

Video:

Goal:

Questions:

I have T1 and C2 with E1 surrounds. Its in a 11x12 room and i really enjoy them. The C2 is really big almost as big as the t1 if stood on end. I have not heard the B1 so cant comment. The clearance price is great on them and cheaper than most other offerings in the same price range. The T1 and C2 do blend well together. You could go with T2 to me i did not think it was worth the extra 300 but my room is smaller than yours.
My Onkyo 830 has no issue playing them, i dont play at max volume though.
mpk1970 likes this.
post #352 of 509 Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello,
Just picked up the T1s from closeout sales. Speakers sound great, however, there’s an audible hiss coming from the tweeters. This is really bugging me!!

Music coming from TV to receiver via optical cable
RX-A3010 Yamaha receiver
Yamaha M-60 power amp

I’ve isolated the speaker wires so they’re not touching any power cable. But the hiss is still there, regardless of volume, it doesn’t increase with volume either.

Please help. Thank you.
post #353 of 509 Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nguyen View Post
Hello,
Just picked up the T1s from closeout sales. Speakers sound great, however, there’s an audible hiss coming from the tweeters. This is really bugging me!!

Music coming from TV to receiver via optical cable
RX-A3010 Yamaha receiver
Yamaha M-60 power amp

I’ve isolated the speaker wires so they’re not touching any power cable. But the hiss is still there, regardless of volume, it doesn’t increase with volume either.

Please help. Thank you.
More than likely these sensitive, detailed speakers are picking up line noise that has always been produced by the amp and/or receiver.

Sometimes its source is dirty power in your area.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #354 of 509 Old 05-28-2019, 02:50 PM

Liked: 0
Hi all, so I recently upgraded my old Pioneer Andrew Jones 7.1 to these Emotivas - T1, C1, and 4x E1 for surround & height. However, even after running calibration on my Yamaha receiver, the Emotivas sound like something is off as they sound somewhat muddy and lacking some clarity in the low-mids. I've gone through much of this thread as well as other forums, but doesn't seem like anyone else is having this issue. While music in 2.1 stereo sounds amazing, movies (particularly action heavy scenes) doesn't sound as detailed as my old Pioneers. Does anyone have any suggestions why that may be?

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A660 (I see this AVR doesn't have 4ohm support, but the chart provided in this thread seems more like 6ohm), and I'm watching movies at around -15 to -20db. I'm not too familiar with reading AVR specs, but is the power output from the receiver too weak, especially when driving 7 speakers? Crossover is set to 80hz (using Dayton Sub 1200), with all speakers set to small. Otherwise, all other settings are from the calibration. Speakers are not bi-wired - I have the 14-gauge wires connected to the top terminals on the T1. Receiver is also set to 8ohm setting. Speakers are in same position as old ones.

Hopefully you guys have some ideas on what to try to improve the sound. Thanks in advance!
post #355 of 509 Old 05-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by noliat View Post
Hi all, so I recently upgraded my old Pioneer Andrew Jones 7.1 to these Emotivas - T1, C1, and 4x E1 for surround & height. However, even after running calibration on my Yamaha receiver, the Emotivas sound like something is off as they sound somewhat muddy and lacking some clarity in the low-mids. I've gone through much of this thread as well as other forums, but doesn't seem like anyone else is having this issue. While music in 2.1 stereo sounds amazing, movies (particularly action heavy scenes) doesn't sound as detailed as my old Pioneers. Does anyone have any suggestions why that may be?

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A660 (I see this AVR doesn't have 4ohm support, but the chart provided in this thread seems more like 6ohm), and I'm watching movies at around -15 to -20db. I'm not too familiar with reading AVR specs, but is the power output from the receiver too weak, especially when driving 7 speakers? Crossover is set to 80hz (using Dayton Sub 1200), with all speakers set to small. Otherwise, all other settings are from the calibration. Speakers are not bi-wired - I have the 14-gauge wires connected to the top terminals on the T1. Receiver is also set to 8ohm setting. Speakers are in same position as old ones.

Hopefully you guys have some ideas on what to try to improve the sound. Thanks in advance!

I would bet your receiver is under powered for these types of speakers, especially when using all seven speakers. They need a little more juice than what a lower end receiver can probably muster, especially when watching movies with some dynamic range and with the volume cranked.
mpk1970 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #356 of 509 Old 05-28-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Not sure if the yamaha is underpowered or not. I have a onkyo 830 powering 7 speakers with no issues (T1/C2/E1) It did take a few days to break them in though it seemed. Only played at half volume and would play music when not watching tv, about 12 hours a day the first weekend i had them. If that does not work try playing it in just 5.1 with no height channel and see if its better.
post #357 of 509 Old 05-28-2019, 03:54 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I would bet your receiver is under powered for these types of speakers, especially when using all seven speakers. They need a little more juice than what a lower end receiver can probably muster, especially when watching movies with some dynamic range and with the volume cranked.
Yea that's what I think is happening Wish my receiver had pre-out so I can attach an amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold87 View Post
Not sure if the yamaha is underpowered or not. I have a onkyo 830 powering 7 speakers with no issues (T1/C2/E1) It did take a few days to break them in though it seemed. Only played at half volume and would play music when not watching tv, about 12 hours a day the first weekend i had them. If that does not work try playing it in just 5.1 with no height channel and see if its better.
I'll try to break them in, but the Onkyo 830 is actually 4ohm rated with plenty of power output - I was actually looking to upgrade my receiver to yours! Saw it on sale for $450, but was sold out.
post #358 of 509 Old 05-28-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I'll try to break them in, but the Onkyo 830 is actually 4ohm rated with plenty of power output - I was actually looking to upgrade my receiver to yours! Saw it on sale for $450, but was sold out.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz830a/onkyo-tx-rz830-9.2-ch-x-120-watts-thx-a/v-receiver-new/1.html

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-RZ830-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B07CVP44NL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=onkyo+830&qid=1559084445&s =gateway&sr=8-3

A4l and amazon both have new ones for 500. I got one directly from onkyo for $450 but those all seem to be gone now and they where brand new in the box. Its still worth it for $50 more i think and should last a while and has alot of options to upgrade and change setups.

Last edited by Gold87; 05-28-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #359 of 509 Old 05-30-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have had an old Sony 7.1 system for about 12 years and the receiver has started messing up. It consists of:
Sony STR-DG820 receiver
2 Sony SS-F7000P towers
1 Yamaha 444? center channel
4 Sony SS-B1000 surrounds
1 Sony SAW-2500 Sub

I am upgrading everything to:
Denon AVR-X4500H
2 Emotiva T2 towers
1 Emotiva C2 center
4 Emotiva E1 surrounds
2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 subs.

Eventually I will get some Atmos speakers when they release them, I guess they will be the A1?
I already have the Denon and ML subs hooked up and wow what an improvement already. I can't wait for the Emotiva stuff to get here.
mpk1970 likes this.

Denon AVR-X4500, Emotiva T2, C2, E1 (x4) Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 (x2)
Philips 4K 75" LED
post #360 of 509 Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by A97syclone View Post
I have had an old Sony 7.1 system for about 12 years and the receiver has started messing up. It consists of:
Sony STR-DG820 receiver
2 Sony SS-F7000P towers
1 Yamaha 444? center channel
4 Sony SS-B1000 surrounds
1 Sony SAW-2500 Sub

I am upgrading everything to:
Denon AVR-X4500H
2 Emotiva T2 towers
1 Emotiva C2 center
4 Emotiva E1 surrounds
2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 subs.

Eventually I will get some Atmos speakers when they release them, I guess they will be the A1?
I already have the Denon and ML subs hooked up and wow what an improvement already. I can't wait for the Emotiva stuff to get here.
You will enjoy the speakers--report back

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page