Official Emotiva Airmotiv Speaker Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 358Likes

post #391 of 508 Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
depending on how close the t1's are to the sub, i would think imaging *could* suffer , and you won't want to cram the port against anything , even with a sub crossed at 80hz..though if the t1's drivers are all above the sub(i wouldn't think this could be done ) you might get away with it..

the T1 would be right up against the grille of my SB12-NSD and pretty sure the port would be firing right at it depending on my toe in. Can't afford a new entertainment console atm so the sub will probably get moved, will run a cable around the room and put it in the back corner until I can buy a wireless kit for it is what i'm thinking. If I took the grille off then I might have a few inches but probably not enough. I've been measuring with a piece of paper and boxes trying to figure if I could fit the T1's there or maybe the T0's. Said screw it and bought the T1's and I'll figure it out.
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 508 Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoach View Post
the T1 would be right up against the grille of my SB12-NSD and pretty sure the port would be firing right at it depending on my toe in. Can't afford a new entertainment console atm so the sub will probably get moved, will run a cable around the room and put it in the back corner until I can buy a wireless kit for it is what i'm thinking. If I took the grille off then I might have a few inches but probably not enough. I've been measuring with a piece of paper and boxes trying to figure if I could fit the T1's there or maybe the T0's. Said screw it and bought the T1's and I'll figure it out.
if you can give the t1's room to breath they will be a great addition..sounds like the sub will get moved a bit , enjoy your new toys , imo you chose well for the price..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #393 of 508 Old 06-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just ordered the T1's, but pretty bummed that the C2 sold out. Will probably roll with the C1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 508 Old 06-05-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf08 View Post
Just ordered the T1's, but pretty bummed that the C2 sold out. Will probably roll with the C1.
Dang that was fast

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #395 of 508 Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I watched Bumblebee this weekend. Other than the dialogue, the Emotiva Speakers sounded nice. Very laid back. I think even more laid back than I was expecting. Could be the Velvet I added to a portion of the side walls, to increase perceived contrast on my screen, that cut some of the highs. Anyway, the Center Speaker still sounded "Distant" or "In a barrel". It sounded like it wanted to break loose, but couldn't. After the movie was over, I performed several tests with Dynamic EQ On vs Off, Audyssey Reference vs Flat vs Off to no avail. I also raised my center to be in line with my mains, opposed to being low, angled up. I heard no difference between the two positions. I was too tired to switch out one of the mains for the center to make sure the center didn't have an issue. As I was quitting for the night, my bluray player asked me to update the firmware. I did, then I pulled up something on Netflix. Still noticed the dialogue was held back. I could understand everything, just didn't seem as forward as I liked. I then boosted the volume level of the Center a bit and that did seem to help. I then broke out the old Radio Shack SPL meter to see how Audyssey did calibrating. Not very well, unless it's more accurate than the SPL Meter. A couple of the Surrounds were about 5dB lower than the other speakers. The Fronts were all fairly close, but that was after I had already bumped the Center Volume up a few dB. So it appears that Audyssey set the Center volume too low.

For those who like to bump the dB of their Center Speaker higher than the rest, how many dB do you increase it? I don't want to bring in any other issues by pumping the center volume up too much.
mpk1970 likes this.

Tony
post #396 of 508 Old 06-10-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I watched Bumblebee this weekend. Other than the dialogue, the Emotiva Speakers sounded nice. Very laid back. I think even more laid back than I was expecting. Could be the Velvet I added to a portion of the side walls, to increase perceived contrast on my screen, that cut some of the highs. Anyway, the Center Speaker still sounded "Distant" or "In a barrel". It sounded like it wanted to break loose, but couldn't. After the movie was over, I performed several tests with Dynamic EQ On vs Off, Audyssey Reference vs Flat vs Off to no avail. I also raised my center to be in line with my mains, opposed to being low, angled up. I heard no difference between the two positions. I was too tired to switch out one of the mains for the center to make sure the center didn't have an issue. As I was quitting for the night, my bluray player asked me to update the firmware. I did, then I pulled up something on Netflix. Still noticed the dialogue was held back. I could understand everything, just didn't seem as forward as I liked. I then boosted the volume level of the Center a bit and that did seem to help. I then broke out the old Radio Shack SPL meter to see how Audyssey did calibrating. Not very well, unless it's more accurate than the SPL Meter. A couple of the Surrounds were about 5dB lower than the other speakers. The Fronts were all fairly close, but that was after I had already bumped the Center Volume up a few dB. So it appears that Audyssey set the Center volume too low.

For those who like to bump the dB of their Center Speaker higher than the rest, how many dB do you increase it? I don't want to bring in any other issues by pumping the center volume up too much.
i tend to crank it up about 3 db.. i mess with the eq as well..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #397 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I never touch the trims on my system unless im watching a show on cable and cant hear the dialogue because of the cable sound. Then i bump it until i can hear clearly and this is usually because of late night tv watching and have to respect others in the house. When watching a movie on bluray i dont mess with any settings and i listen loud with no respect for others in the house.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #398 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Dang that was fast
Well, I got so lucky! Contacted customer service and they happened to have a refurb C2 in stock. I pulled the trigger immediately. Speakers were delivered and I am setting them up! First off, these buggers are heavy! A more in depth review is to come, but so far, I am really enjoying the T1s and that is without any tweaking.
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.
post #399 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 539
I am sure this has been covered but I didn't see it running through the last 5 or 6 pages but, what's with the closeout sales? Are they bringing out new models or getting out of the loudspeaker game all together?
post #400 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4448 Post(s)
Liked: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I am sure this has been covered but I didn't see it running through the last 5 or 6 pages but, what's with the closeout sales? Are they bringing out new models or getting out of the loudspeaker game all together?

Emotiva is redesigning the Airmotiv line... supposedly an improved cabinet design along with models that have better Dolby Atmos support (overheads, etc.).

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #401 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Emotiva is redesigning the Airmotiv line... supposedly a better cabinet design along with models that have better Dolby Atmos support (overheads, etc.).
Ahh ok that makes sense. Love my C2, pairs well with my JBL Studio 590's
mpk1970 likes this.
post #402 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Something isn't working right--Im guessing there are some things off in your receiver. Audyssey drastically reduced all my volume levels on speakers --I manually changed it to MY liking. I have better results from doing things manually rather than depending on the big A

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
post #403 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i tend to crank it up about 3 db.. i mess with the eq as well..
I have a Denon X3400H receiver. I cannot find the EQ. I thought I read somewhere that with Audyssey turned on, EQ couldn't be adjusted. Is EQ only with the available App for Audyssey, or should that be somewhere in my receiver to where I can mess with EQ on my own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Something isn't working right--Im guessing there are some things off in your receiver. Audyssey drastically reduced all my volume levels on speakers --I manually changed it to MY liking. I have better results from doing things manually rather than depending on the big A
Either that or the acoustics in my room. I do have 2" of broadband absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and 4" of Bass Traps in the two front corners. I will try the Center in my other room on my older Denon just to get an idea if it sounds better.

Tony
post #404 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a Denon X3400H receiver. I cannot find the EQ. I thought I read somewhere that with Audyssey turned on, EQ couldn't be adjusted. Is EQ only with the available App for Audyssey, or should that be somewhere in my receiver to where I can mess with EQ on my own?

Either that or the acoustics in my room. I do have 2" of broadband absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and 4" of Bass Traps in the two front corners. I will try the Center in my other room on my older Denon just to get an idea if it sounds better.
i have a yamaha , so i don't know about the denon.. i'm sure somebody that reads this will though..

post #405 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You can find adjustments in your receiver-- I have a Marantz (very similar) made by Denon, so when I get a chance I'll tell you where to adjust things on your receiver

post #406 of 508 Old 06-11-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Audyssey OFF. Settings>Audio>Graphic EQ.

It will likely sound better with Audussey off even if no manual EQ.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #407 of 508 Old 06-12-2019, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Feet View Post
Man, I was getting ready to order the C2 on closeout.... and of course it sold out already.
You might want to contact them. I thought I was completely out of luck, but took a shot in the dark and asked. They had a factory refurbished C2 that I bought yesterday.

I don’t know if that was the only one, but it’s worth trying, if you want one.
post #408 of 508 Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
You might want to contact them. I thought I was completely out of luck, but took a shot in the dark and asked. They had a factory refurbished C2 that I bought yesterday.

I don’t know if that was the only one, but it’s worth trying, if you want one.
I did the same and also got one.
post #409 of 508 Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Audyssey OFF. Settings>Audio>Graphic EQ.

It will likely sound better with Audussey off even if no manual EQ.
Thanks I thought I had read somewhere that Audyssey had to be off to change EQ. I take it you are not a fan of Audyssey? I've read others who say they prefer Audyssey Off. I actually tried Audyssey Off to test my Center and there was no difference that I recall. I'll try it again tomorrow and see for sure.

Tony
post #410 of 508 Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf08 View Post

Also just ordered the t1's and at first it said sold out but i did a google search and clicked the link and a pair popped up on emotivas website....maybe call just to make sure you never know.
post #411 of 508 Old 06-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
have had my T1's since Tuesday night and love em so far. I really liked my B1/C1 front but the T1's kick it up a notch from there. Definitively hearing "extra" stuff in music for lack of a better word. I assume it's due to the separate mid-range woofer. Only problem sofar is having to move my sub and get it in a good spot. Have tried two spots so far and a bit to boomy. First spot was in front of my fireplace (never used) based on a sub crawl I did but that ended up real boomy (I assume it's echoing from the fireplace cavity). Next place i put it in the back corner. Audessey even came back with a decent number after setting the sub to 10oclock but watching the new animated Spiderman bluray and playing some vid games it was again slightly boomy until i turned the sub down to 9 oclockish. gonna try maybe closer to my couch next i guess.

I'm running the T1's and the rest of my 7.1 system (T1,C1,B1 and two pioneer atmos upfiring speakers) off a Marantz NR1607. For those who think their avr's may not be powerful enough to drive these it doesn't seem to be the case for me (the NR1607 specs do say it can drive 4 ohm speakers though). System did seem to run a bit hot by touch one night when i was playing some music fairly loud off and on, but i bought some AC infinity fans to put on top of the avr (and my xboneX) and so far they've kept the avr real cool. I may eventually get a separate amp for the T1s (have preouts for L/R only) but for now I can wait and get a used one I want for a good price instead of rushing out and getting a more generic one or paying full price.
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.
post #412 of 508 Old 06-15-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tonight, I removed the Banana Plugs from my Center Speaker Cable in the back of the receiving and hooked it up directly to the posts.

I replayed several of the scenes of Bumblebee. It sounded much better, but still sounded like it was holding back. I through in several more movies and watched various scenes and it sounded really good. I'm thinking Bumblebee may be part of the culprit too.
Lp85253 likes this.

Tony
post #413 of 508 Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8573 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by noliat View Post
Hi all, so I recently upgraded my old Pioneer Andrew Jones 7.1 to these Emotivas - T1, C1, and 4x E1 for surround & height. However, even after running calibration on my Yamaha receiver, the Emotivas sound like something is off as they sound somewhat muddy and lacking some clarity in the low-mids. I've gone through much of this thread as well as other forums, but doesn't seem like anyone else is having this issue. While music in 2.1 stereo sounds amazing, movies (particularly action heavy scenes) doesn't sound as detailed as my old Pioneers. Does anyone have any suggestions why that may be?

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A660 (I see this AVR doesn't have 4ohm support, but the chart provided in this thread seems more like 6ohm), and I'm watching movies at around -15 to -20db. I'm not too familiar with reading AVR specs, but is the power output from the receiver too weak, especially when driving 7 speakers? Crossover is set to 80hz (using Dayton Sub 1200), with all speakers set to small. Otherwise, all other settings are from the calibration. Speakers are not bi-wired - I have the 14-gauge wires connected to the top terminals on the T1. Receiver is also set to 8ohm setting. Speakers are in same position as old ones.

Hopefully you guys have some ideas on what to try to improve the sound. Thanks in advance!
Make sure the tweeters are aimed at your ears as the T1s are on the short side so might need some tilting back...you may be able to do this by having the front speaker spikes higher than the rears.

Make sure the center, if on a shelf, is pulled all the way forward to the edge of the shelf and tilted in such a manner so the tweeter is aimed at your ears while seated.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #414 of 508 Old 06-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8573 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
I still haven't been happy with my center channel, even after switching to the C2. It's just as puny sounding as my old Elemental Design speaker it replaced. It's very clear, but that's about it. Given that everyone else seems to love the C2, I'm sure that the issue is how low I have it sitting, and aiming up at me...especially given it's the same issue I had with my old center. I need to test it on a table, raised up to match height of the tweeters of the T1s just as a test. It won't matter as it will still have to be mounted low to actually watch a movie.

As a test, I turned off the Center in my AVR. Wow. I was absolutely amazed at the improvement in Audio. The Dialogue produced the umph I've been looking for. Not only the dialogue, but other effects. On Infinity War, when Thanos is fighting The Hulk, it has just been sounding weak. I spent a few days moving my subs around, trying different phases, distances, etc and measuring with REW to try to get the best spot prior to Audyssey. I replayed that scene using the Phantom Center and wow.
The difference was an amazing improvement. Now, the drawback is moving seats. Sitting in the left or right chair, it's not so great as the Dialogue sounds as if it is coming from the sides. I now know that if it's just me in the room, I'm turning the Center Off going forward.
Try turning off option EQs in you AVR.

Using Denon's Dynamic EQ, for example, does terrible things to my center.
MUDCAT45 and Lp85253 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #415 of 508 Old 06-17-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Try turning off option EQs in you AVR.

Using Denon's Dynamic EQ, for example, does terrible things to my center.
I've tested with Dynamic EQ on and Off, Audyssey Turned off and on. Although I hear big differences all around, with the Center dialogue, I didn't really hear a difference. Still sounded muffled or like it was held back. I tried feeling each speaker on the center to make sure they were moving. This is my first ribbon tweeter speaker, so I felt nothing there. I probably should turn off all other speakers but center and make sure I'm hearing the tweeter. I also raised my center speaker to ear level opposed to sitting low and angling up, and I heard no difference there. When I removed my Banana Plugs from the Center channel at the receiver and installed directly, it sounded better (unless I just wanted it to, and therefore it did), but still not anything to Wow me. Turning off my Center and having Phantom sounds Great if in the center seat. I then kick on the Center, and I'm really let down.

Is there a good test to make sure the center channel is working properly.....or that the crossover is functioning properly?

Tony
post #416 of 508 Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've tested with Dynamic EQ on and Off, Audyssey Turned off and on. Although I hear big differences all around, with the Center dialogue, I didn't really hear a difference. Still sounded muffled or like it was held back. I tried feeling each speaker on the center to make sure they were moving. This is my first ribbon tweeter speaker, so I felt nothing there. I probably should turn off all other speakers but center and make sure I'm hearing the tweeter. I also raised my center speaker to ear level opposed to sitting low and angling up, and I heard no difference there. When I removed my Banana Plugs from the Center channel at the receiver and installed directly, it sounded better (unless I just wanted it to, and therefore it did), but still not anything to Wow me. Turning off my Center and having Phantom sounds Great if in the center seat. I then kick on the Center, and I'm really let down.

Is there a good test to make sure the center channel is working properly.....or that the crossover is functioning properly?
Have you tried reversing the wires (polarity) on the speaker yet?
post #417 of 508 Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Have you tried reversing the wires (polarity) on the speaker yet?
I was about to do that the same day that I removed the banana plugs and forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I've never tried reversing polarity on a speaker, so wasn't sure if this "could" be the culprit. Audyssey didn't give me a note that my polarity was wrong, so I wasn't feeling confident that would help which is why I forgot to try. I will do that tomorrow though.

Tony
post #418 of 508 Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Did you try another speaker in the centers place? Or putting the center on another channel. If the problem follows its your speaker, if it stays on the center channel its the amp.
The polarity is also a good test before you say the speaker is the issue.
Also see you said it got better sound with out the banana plug. Are you sure you have good contact on both ends with the speaker wire?

And some movies mix the sound differently. Try testing in all stereo to rule out how they mixed the movie.
post #419 of 508 Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Emotiva has some factory renewed items on the website. T1 and T2 speakers seem like a great deal, along with some amps and subwoofers.

https://emotiva.com/search?type=prod...age&q=Renewed*
Lp85253 likes this.
post #420 of 508 Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was about to do that the same day that I removed the banana plugs and forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I've never tried reversing polarity on a speaker, so wasn't sure if this "could" be the culprit. Audyssey didn't give me a note that my polarity was wrong, so I wasn't feeling confident that would help which is why I forgot to try. I will do that tomorrow though.
Tony, Polarity may/may not be the problem. However, it is easy to cross the wires at the speaker.
I had a C2 that sounded muddy until I crossed the wires. I didn't get a note from Audyssey either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page