Paradigm bookshelf speakers with Kef T101C center...? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
+1

Paradigm subs are not a good deal at all compared the Internet direct brands regularly recommended here on AVS.
They are not as bad as one would think but lets just correct the previous statement....

The PDR100 lists out for $460 and one can easily get 10% off of that compared to a SVS PB1000 which is $700. Yes a lot more sub but almost $300 more. Not anywhere close to the same money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post
They are not as bad as one would think but lets just correct the previous statement....

The PDR100 lists out for $460 and one can easily get 10% off of that compared to a SVS PB1000 which is $700. Yes a lot more sub but almost $300 more. Not anywhere close to the same money.
You are right. For some reason I thought he said the Sub 10.

And the OP is in Canada? Didn't realize that. There goes the rest of my assumptions about pricing out the window. LOL

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #33 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
To the OP, if you're not that hard set on all Paradigm, the bookshelf's from Fluance would do you just fine, if not better than the Atoms.
http://www.fluance.com/bookshelf-spe...sound-speakers

Save a couple hun too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
The company I work for carries Paradigm as well as other brands. Also, since I am one of the audio calibrators I have heard many speakers from a lot of different companies not only the brands the company carries. IMHO, the MilleniaOne speakers are one of the best sounding small speakers without spending twice as much. It is very accurate, has great off axis response and gives great imaging and soundstage. It is a noticeable upgrade from the cinema or monitor series. It has better sound quality than the others mentioned but I haven't heard the Fluance or Emptek.

Like any small speaker it will not play a loud as a bigger speaker. So if you require louder volumes you need a bigger speaker but it will play plenty loud enough for most people. It is crossed over a little higher but that gives it more output capability. It works fine crossed over at 110hz or 120hz. You can make a small speaker go lower but you give up max volume to do it. If the MilleniaOne works for your situation I would go with them over the other options you are considering.
RayGuy likes this.
post #35 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
Given that you cannot play loudly due to the baby, I think you will find the MilleniaOnes to be a good fit to your situation. Smaller speakers do have limited bass response, so be sure you get a sub that will fit in the front of the room, near the speakers (have multiple placement options here, as getting good bass response in a room can sometimes be challenging). In addition, be sure the sub has output to about 150 Hz on the high side (in order to meet the frequency response of the small speakers without leaving a hole). Then, extension to 35 Hz on the low end at a minimum (the closer to 20 Hz you can get, the better, but the 150 is more important).

As to the sub, I'm thinking that the SVS SB-1000 would be a good option for you. Small in size, with good output to 24Hz on the low end, but has extended response on the high end, up to 250 Hz. I'm thinking that this may benefit you when setting the crossover frequency, and perhaps give you more options in that area (crossover frequency is important in getting seamless sound from the sats/sub). If the price is a bit much, look for one used. SVS has a following in Canada, so there's a good chance you may be able to find one not too far from you.

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-20-2016 at 11:41 AM.
post #36 of 36 Old 08-20-2016, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have 11 MilleniaOnes in my setup. Absolutely love them. I think you would be very happy with them. But get a good quality sub for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
center , Kef , Paradigm , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page