Paradigm bookshelf speakers with Kef T101C center...? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Paradigm bookshelf speakers with Kef T101C center...?

I have Paradigms for my L/R and was thinking of using the Kef T101C on-wall slim speaker as a center. I have one of those horrible above fireplace setups and want something that actually looks half decent in my living room.

Will the Kef on-wall center speaker sound horrible with the Paradigm bookshelves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Which paradigm speakers?
Do you have surrounds? Sub(s)?
how big is the room and how far back is the MLP?
A picture of the space and set-up may be helpful.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

The bookshelves are the Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0.
The back speakers are going to be Paradigm CI Home H55R in-wall speakers (the cool ones with no-bezel )

I'm new here and haven't posted enough to have permission to post images or links, so had to remove the http part.

Here is a picture of the room, it's about 19 feet long: d.pr/i/9siw
I also did this mockup in Photoshop of what it will look like with an in-wall speaker above the TV: d.pr/i/IzwP ....I think it looks hideous there and more importantly, so does the wife.

One other potential option is to ditch the Cinema 100's and the in-wall center and replace the front L/R/C with the Paradigm MilleniaOne 3.0 System. This way I guess I can put the center underneath the TV and above the fireplace. The cost there is having to move the TV about 6-7 inches higher up though :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by adro21 View Post
I have Paradigms for my L/R and was thinking of using the Kef T101C on-wall slim speaker as a center. I have one of those horrible above fireplace setups and want something that actually looks half decent in my living room.

Will the Kef on-wall center speaker sound horrible with the Paradigm bookshelves?
While there may be some advantages to brand matching speakers, a center channel speaker should be judged on its own. As long as the KEF T101C provides sound and voice clarity to your liking, it will work well with the Paradigm or any other speakers.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #5 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
Since the surrounds provide so little of the HT output, I'd invest that money in better FL/FR speakers. Any speaker with 3 1/2 inch drivers will not give much below 80hz. I would consider the Paradigm Mini Monitor v7 ( prestige 15b if you have the budget )and get something like these as surrounds for $129/pair or less.
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC...+wall+speakers
There other alternative like ascend, Svs, emptek for much cheaper than paradigm.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas. I think after much consideration, I might just end up going with the Paradigm MilleniaOne 3.0 System. The speakers are nice and small and seem to have really great reviews. I did a mockup of what that will look like and it seems a lot nicer visually as far the room goes. Check it out: d.pr/i/2OJR

What do you guys think of going this route instead?
post #7 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Any chance of swapping the artwork for your TV and rotating the furniture? That would really open up speaker options and placement, and reduce the angle from your eyes to the TV...
cel4145 likes this.
post #8 of 36 Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Any chance of swapping the artwork for your TV and rotating the furniture? That would really open up speaker options and placement, and reduce the angle from your eyes to the TV...
+1

You could do a lot more with that kind of placement.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not possible, I'm afraid
That room is open to the kitchen and the giant sectional couch we have will block entrance to the living room. I'm actually now thinking of maybe mounting the MilleniaOne center above the tv and angling it downwards to point more at the couch. Mockup here: d.pr/i/X3Rc
post #10 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mounting a centre channel speaker over your TV is fine if, like you said, you aim the speaker down towards your MLP. You won't be approaching anything NEAR reference SPL with your setup, and you absolutely NEED a good (ie: $400+) subwoofer crossed over at 140Hz or so (but that makes the subwoofer "localizable" - meaning that it is playing frequencies that are in the "mid-bass" range). Your mains have an even higher +/-3dB freq of 125Hz.

If this setup is simply for watching TV in your family room, then it would might do as well as a decent soundbar. You aren't going to get much bass extension from the tiny 3.5" drivers in your speakers.
post #11 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mounting a centre channel speaker over your TV is fine if, like you said, you aim the speaker down towards your MLP. You won't be approaching anything NEAR reference SPL with your setup, and you absolutely NEED a good (ie: $400+) subwoofer crossed over at 140Hz or so (but that makes the subwoofer "localizable" - meaning that it is playing frequencies that are in the "mid-bass" range). Your mains have an even higher +/-3dB freq of 125Hz.

If this setup is simply for watching TV in your family room, then it would might do as well as a decent soundbar. You aren't going to get much bass extension from the tiny 3.5" drivers in your speakers.
This is the subwoofer I'm getting is the Paradigm PDR 100. The setup is just for watching TV in the family room, but that is also where I watch all my movies and play video games, etc.

Sorry I'm a bit new to this stuff, what is reference SPL?
post #12 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 PM

The PDR 100 is not a very good deal at MSRP. Thus is a better sub for the money https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/

Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #13 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is the subwoofer I'm getting is the Paradigm PDR 100. The setup is just for watching TV in the family room, but that is also where I watch all my movies and play video games, etc.

Sorry I'm a bit new to this stuff, what is reference SPL?
SPL is Sound Pressure Level - essentially the volume you hear at your MLP - Main Listening Position. Your tiny speakers are not going to be able to play very loud without LOTS of distortion, and they won't be able to play very DEEP at all.

Last edited by sigpig; 08-18-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: correction
post #14 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
SPL is Sound Pressure Level - essentially the volume you hear at your MLP - Main Listening Position. Your tiny speakers are not going to be able to play very loud without LOTS of distortion, and they won't be able to play very DEEP at all.
Hmmm...sorry, I gotta admit this seems kinda crazy to someone new like me. I'm paying over $2000 for this setup and I'm not going to be able to hear it without distortion and the sound will not be deep at all?? What does someone need to spend to get something that actually sounds decent?

I know you get what you pay for, but like, over 2k for a sound system, I should be able to hear it without lots of distortion...
post #15 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

IMHO, you should return your Paradigm speakers and look into some different options. For $2000 I can make some suggestions:
1. HTD Level THREE in Macassar Ebony: http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers
Level THREE bookshelf x2 pair = $698
Level THREE Centre = $239
HSU ULS MK2 Sub in Rosenut Veneer = $929
Total = $1866.00

2. HSU Research Ultra 15 package in Rosenut veneer - $1849.00
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ultra15pkg.html

3. EMPTek 5.1 system in Red Burl: http://www.EMPTek.com
R5B1 bookshelf x2 pair = $450
R5C1 Centre = $195
I-12 sub = $499 (plays down to 23 Hz)
Total = $1144.00

All three of these systems are based on bookshelf speakers that are beautiful-looking as well as sounding incredible. The first two systems both use the HSU ULS MK2 Sub that is capable to playing down to 20Hz. The HTD speakers use a ribbon tweeter in a waveguide, the HSU speakers use a horn-loaded dome tweeter, and the EMPTek speakers use traditional soft dome tweeter.

What AVR are you using? What ratio is your use (TV/movies/music), and what genres? Answering these questions can help us with your choices. Show all of these speakers to your wife and see if she likes them. Google pictures of them, since the website pics sometimes don't do them justice.
post #16 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6911 Post(s)
Liked: 5198
Quote:
Hmmm...sorry, I gotta admit this seems kinda crazy to someone new like me. I'm paying over $2000 for this setup and I'm not going to be able to hear it without distortion and the sound will not be deep at all?? What does someone need to spend to get something that actually sounds decent?

I know you get what you pay for, but like, over 2k for a sound system, I should be able to hear it without lots of distortion...
Don't feel too bad, people pay even more than $2K for one of those super-crappy Bose Lifestyle stystems which sound far worse than the Paradigm setup you're considering. For instance:
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Lifestyl...festyle+system

Bottom line is, contrary to all the sales/marketing BS, the laws of physics have yet to be broken---small and pretty always comes at a considerable sound quality/performance trade-off.

How close to the walls are you planning on putting your speakers? If you want to have the speakers flush up against the wall, you need to be looking at SEALED cabinet designs, or FRONT-ported designs. The Hsu and EMPTek speakers previously suggested are all rear-ported, unfortunately.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
IMHO, you should return your Paradigm speakers and look into some different options. For $2000 I can make some suggestions:
1. HTD Level THREE in Macassar Ebony: http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers
Level THREE bookshelf x2 pair = $698
Level THREE Centre = $239
HSU ULS MK2 Sub in Rosenut Veneer = $929
Total = $1866.00

2. HSU Research Ultra 15 package in Rosenut veneer - $1849.00
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ultra15pkg.html

3. EMPTek 5.1 system in Red Burl: http://www.EMPTek.com
R5B1 bookshelf x2 pair = $450
R5C1 Centre = $195
I-12 sub = $499 (plays down to 23 Hz)
Total = $1144.00

All three of these systems are based on bookshelf speakers that are beautiful-looking as well as sounding incredible. The first two systems both use the HSU ULS MK2 Sub that is capable to playing down to 20Hz. The HTD speakers use a ribbon tweeter in a waveguide, the HSU speakers use a horn-loaded dome tweeter, and the EMPTek speakers use traditional soft dome tweeter.

What AVR are you using? What ratio is your use (TV/movies/music), and what genres? Answering these questions can help us with your choices. Show all of these speakers to your wife and see if she likes them. Google pictures of them, since the website pics sometimes don't do them justice.
Thanks so much for the recommendations! While those do look great, one of the main problems I'm having is with the center speaker. Here's a picture of the room, I literally have nowhere to put the center: http://d.pr/i/MVci

This is why I originally went with an in-wall speaker for the center, but the wife shut that down fast. I kind of agree, it looks pretty silly right above the TV having a random rectangle in the wall. I know I can paint the cover with spray paint, but you'll still see it.

So the reason I'm thinking about the MilleniaOne speakers is specifically because they are small. I know that I tradeoff sound quality for that, but since this isn't a dedicated HT and literally my living room, I have to be sensitive to how it all looks aesthetically.

Here is the full setup:
Bookshelves/Center = Paradigm MilleniaOne System
Back L Speaker = Paradigm CI Home H55R in-wall no-bezel
Back R Speaker = Paradigm CI Home H55R in-wall no-bezel
Sub = Paradigm PDR 100
AVR = Pioneer VSX-831 5.2CH
--------------------
Total cost: $2397 (CAD)

Typically, it's 40% TV, 40% movies and about 10% video games. Genres vary completely.

So yeah, if you see the picture of the room, I really don't have the option for a good sized center. That takes us back to your earlier suggestion of a good soundbar. But the reason I don't want to do that is because I love the way 5.1 sounds with back sounds coming from the back of the room, etc. Also, this is a house we just bought it's all already wired for 5.1 surround from previous owner.
post #18 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Speakers with bigger drivers. Small speakers can't defy the law of physics.

Quote:
So the reason I'm thinking about the MilleniaOne speakers is specifically because they are small. I know that I tradeoff sound quality for that, but since this isn't a dedicated HT and literally my living room, I have to be sensitive to how it all looks aesthetically.
You also trade off the ability to play loud and clear without distortion.

post #19 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Speakers with bigger drivers. Small speakers can't defy the law of physics.

You also trade off the ability to play loud and clear without distortion.

How loud are we talking about here? I have a 5-month-old in the house who will be sleeping constantly throughout the day and early night, so it's not like I can pump this thing anyway. I just want something that looks half decent for a living room setup and that I can enjoy movies and tv shows with. I totally appreciate all your guys advice, but it's almost like with my setup from Paradigm, you're saying I'm not gonna be able to hear a movie without distortion...
post #20 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the recommendations! While those do look great, one of the main problems I'm having is with the center speaker. Here's a picture of the room, I literally have nowhere to put the center: http://d.pr/i/MVci

Here is the full setup:
Bookshelves/Center = Paradigm MilleniaOne System
Back L Speaker = Paradigm CI Home H55R in-wall no-bezel
Back R Speaker = Paradigm CI Home H55R in-wall no-bezel
Sub = Paradigm PDR 100
AVR = Pioneer VSX-831 5.2CH
--------------------
Total cost: $2397 (CAD)
Beautiful living room. I wouldn't give up hope too quickly, though.

If you can move the TV up just enough to create a 7" space between it and the fireplace mantel, you can fit one of these in there:
NHT Classic 3 center, $690CAD
https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Clas...1561176&sr=1-7

Then just use a pair of the NHT SuperOnes for your front L/R which should easily fit inside of your bookshelf and save you the cost of making holes in your walls, $350CAD/pair
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LJX4HCY/...Y&linkCode=df0

For your surrounds you can use 2 more SuperOnes or the smaller SuperZeros:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CKNOYWK/...K&linkCode=df0

For your subwoofer, get one of these by SVS and stick in the corner to the left of your couch, out of sight (or disguised as an end table using a lamp or plant):
http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-su...-series-c-1_9/

You can also try to find an NHT dealer locally:
http://www.nhthifi.com/locations?categories=retailer

These NHTs being conventional bookshelf style speakers, I would expect them to run circles around satellite speakers at any price. All of them are sealed so they can sit flush against a wall. It's hard to see in the photos, but they have a very attractive and elegant glossy black finish that your wife will be pleasantly surprised by.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #21 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since you already have surround speakers, you can simply get 2 bookshelf speakers, a centre, and a sub. The centre can be mounted above the TV (I did this for a few years, until I got a better speaker that fit my cabinet).

Where in Canada are you? It really sucks buying audio equipment up here. I might be able to help you find some local audio shops where you might be able to get a deal.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-18-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
How loud are we talking about here? I have a 5-month-old in the house who will be sleeping constantly throughout the day and early night, so it's not like I can pump this thing anyway. I just want something that looks half decent for a living room setup and that I can enjoy movies and tv shows with. I totally appreciate all your guys advice, but it's almost like with my setup from Paradigm, you're saying I'm not gonna be able to hear a movie without distortion...
How loud are you talking about? Someone could potentially calculate how loud they will play at your listening position if we knew the distance from the speakers. But you have to speak in decibels to tell us how loud that is you want

At moderate listening volumes, the Paradigm Millenia will be fine in terms of distortion. Where you would still lose out even at lower volumes is that they won't be able to play part of the midbass as they likely need to be crossed over at 120 or 150 hz (S&V's measurements indicate this to be true). This means the sub has to take over those frequencies. Above 80hz bass can become localizable, so some midbass may seem to come from the sub, even though the bass was intended to come from a specific channel/speaker in your setup. In fact, this review of the Paradigms recommends putting the sub in the main soundstage to avoid having the bass seem to come from weird places. Below 80hz, bass seems to come from all over a room. Generally, a good strategy is to get speakers that can be crossed over at 80hz.

The point of all this discussion is that small driver speakers make sense as a life style choice (for some people), but not as a best bang for your buck in terms of audio quality. Also, Keep in mind that 5 month old won't be that age forever. In a few years, you might wish you could run the HT setup clean at a louder volume.

post #23 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Beautiful living room. I wouldn't give up hope too quickly, though.
Thanks! And thanks for the great ideas. Unfortunately, the center goes way too deep and would stick 8 inches off the wall. It might be hard to see in the photo, but the mantle only comes out like 2 inches and the TV is going to be mounted pretty close to the wall too. So I'm not sure where to actually put that center. (Extending the mantle is not an option at the moment unfortunately).

Also, once our new couch is in (not in photo) there won't be anywhere to put the back surround speakers either (that's why I'm planning to go with the in-walls back there)

OK, here's another idea. Let's assume for arguments sake, that I have to stick with Paradigm as the brand. What do you think of this:

Center - Paradigm Cinema 200 (super slim and will look great on the wall, here's a quick mockup: http://d.pr/i/mA1E)
L/R Bookshelf - Paradigm Atom Monitor v7
L/R Surrounds - Paradigm CI Home H55R in-wall no bezel
Sub - Paradigm PDR 100

This puts me well over budget of course, but if this will sound better with the proper bookshelves and slim visually appealing center, than I'd be willing to pay the extra.

What do you guys think?
Will the Atom Monitors not sound good with the slim Cinema 200 center?
post #24 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks! And thanks for the great ideas. Unfortunately, the center goes way too deep and would stick 8 inches off the wall. It might be hard to see in the photo, but the mantle only comes out like 2 inches and the TV is going to be mounted pretty close to the wall too. So I'm not sure where to actually put that center. (Extending the mantle is not an option at the moment unfortunately).

Also, once our new couch is in (not in photo) there won't be anywhere to put the back surround speakers either (that's why I'm planning to go with the in-walls back there)

OK, here's another idea. Let's assume for arguments sake, that I have to stick with Paradigm as the brand. What do you think of this:

Center - Paradigm Cinema 200 (super slim and will look great on the wall, here's a quick mockup: http://d.pr/i/mA1E)
L/R Bookshelf - Paradigm Atom Monitor v7
L/R Surrounds - Paradigm CI Home H55R in-wall no bezel
Sub - Paradigm PDR 100

This puts me well over budget of course, but if this will sound better with the proper bookshelves and slim visually appealing center, than I'd be willing to pay the extra.

What do you guys think?
Will the Atom Monitors not sound good with the slim Cinema 200 center?
Well, the Atoms are still preferable to the Paradigm Cinema 100 speakers.
And the Cinema 200 center is better than no center at all.

But keep in mind that the center does 70-80% of the total HT output, so it will have a much bigger impact on the overall quality of your HT experience. When watching TV and movies, you are still listening to dialogue coming out of the center speaker most of all. The front L/R mainly does theme music and front special effects.

The Cinema 200 center is 4" deep so you'd only be saving 4" over the NHT center, but I think the NHT center is more likely to give you much better sound quality. IMO the extra 4" is well worth the qualitative improvement, and wouldn't even be noticeable when standing/sitting in front of it.

The in-wall Paradigms are fine, in fact the surrounds are where you can most easily save money since they do such a miniscule % of the HT output, I would just pick the most cost effective option if it allows you to put more money into the subwoofer and the front speakers.

Whatever you do, I most definitely would NOT go with the Paradigm sub under any circumstances, not when you can easily get the SVS PB1000 for the same if not less money.

post #25 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And the Cinema 200 center is better than no center at all.
Do you think I'll notice a significant difference between the Cinema 200 vs. MilleniaOne vs. H55R-in-wall for the center?
(The original plan was to put the H55R in-wall for the center ABOVE the TV right in the wall up there, but that's the thing I'm questioning because of how crappy it will look)
post #26 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Do you think I'll notice a significant difference between the Cinema 200 vs. MilleniaOne vs. H55R-in-wall for the center?
(The original plan was to put the H55R in-wall for the center ABOVE the TV right in the wall up there, but that's the thing I'm questioning because of how crappy it will look)
The Cinema 200 and Millenia One will probably sound about the same. 120Hz bass extension which means you'll need a very high crossover, which makes the subwoofer a bit more localizable and probably will create the infamous "midrange hole."

The H55R is listed as having 75Hz extension but for an in-wall, this may vary quite a bit depending on your installation.

Another small sealed cabinet speaker you may also want to consider (though you'd need to contact them directly about shipping from the US to Canada) is the Ascend HTM-200SE, which has a depth of only 6.4" which is even closer to the Cinema 200:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

You could go with 3 of the Ascends up front. They are designed to NOT have the "midrange hole" integrate easily with subwoofers at the standard 80Hz crossover, and you can order them in the vertical or horizontal configuration. See the photo below for an idea of how small they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascend 200 sides and rears.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	506.2 KB
ID:	1611969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascend 200 next to Horizon center.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1611977  

Last edited by Zorba922; 08-19-2016 at 08:12 AM.
post #27 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you have the option of installing in wall speakers for R, F and C, I would recommend doing so. Aesthetically, by far the best choice and acoustically, likely better than other anything else you have considered. Have you considered the H65-IW for the front 3? Bigger driver and a rectangular in-wall looks much better than a round when installed on walls. Round speakers are usually for in-ceiling only. The rectangular H65 and H55 both feature the bezel free grill.
post #28 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post
If you have the option of installing in wall speakers for R, F and C, I would recommend doing so. Aesthetically, by far the best choice and acoustically, likely better than other anything else you have considered. Have you considered the H65-IW for the front 3? Bigger driver and a rectangular in-wall looks much better than a round when installed on walls. Round speakers are usually for in-ceiling only. The rectangular H65 and H55 both feature the bezel free grill.
Sorry my mistake, the rectangular H65 is the actual one we were considering for the center. I mocked it up though and wife was totally not feelin it. I guess this is where it starts to get a bit subjective. Something just seems weird about a rectangle floating in the middle of the wall like that above the TV: http://d.pr/i/aA1Z
post #29 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry my mistake, the rectangular H65 is the actual one we were considering for the center. I mocked it up though and wife was totally not feelin it. I guess this is where it starts to get a bit subjective. Something just seems weird about a rectangle floating in the middle of the wall like that above the TV: http://d.pr/i/aA1Z
If you look look at images of in-wall speaker installs, you won't see round speakers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=on+w...+wall+speakers

Most in-wall grills can be painted the same color as walls. Ultimately your choice but no way would I do any on wall installations in your room from a design/appearance standpoint.
post #30 of 36 Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Whatever you do, I most definitely would NOT go with the Paradigm sub under any circumstances, not when you can easily get the SVS PB1000 for the same if not less money.
+1

Paradigm subs are not a good deal at all compared the Internet direct brands regularly recommended here on AVS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
center , Kef , Paradigm , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page