PSA MTM-210C,T vs Ascend Sierra Horizon, Tower - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #1 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 108
PSA MTM-210C,T vs Ascend Sierra Horizon, Tower

I am considering the two subject line center + tower combos. Not sure if I'd spend the extra for the RAAL tweeters with the ascend option or not. The RAALs would definitely blow past my budget.

Without the RAAL's, these two sets are nearly the same price.

Can anyone who has heard both in the same room give me a summary/comparison of the sound characteristics?

I have read glowing review after review of both options, and I probably wouldn't be disappointed with either compared to these higher end options, but would like to know how they compare.

I have a ~4000 sq ft basement tv/bar room where this new system (home theater) will reside. All carpet floor except for tile at the far back of the room where the bar is. Only one small window in this area, and there's a ~6ft opening to a hallway in the front right corner of the room.

Speaker cabinet finish does not weigh very heavily with my decision, purely sound. I listen to maybe 50/50 music /movies&TV. My existing system (in the main floor living room) is a pair of klipsch synergy towers, elemental designs a2-300 sub, and yamaha rx-v775. I am planning on buying a PSA v1500 or v1800 with the new LCR set. Not sure what receiver I'll be running either, perhaps a Denon x3300 or whatever comes along at a good price. Or maybe even move the rx-v775 to the basement and pick a cheaper receiver for the living room. Or I've been told Anthem has great receivers if I want to spend more than the x3300.

Thanks everyone in advance. Also, are there any other ~$3,000 LCR options I should consider?

Last edited by chomdh; 08-31-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomdh View Post
Also, are there any other ~$3,000 LCR options I should consider?
What is the display? PJ with an AT screen perhaps? Can you fit big LCR's?

These can be had for $1100 each shipped, no tax to most states if you want to go big:

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...n#.V8eD5WVh3q0
post #3 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
What is the display? PJ with an AT screen perhaps? Can you fit big LCR's?

These can be had for $1100 each shipped, no tax to most states if you want to go big:

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...n#.V8eD5WVh3q0
Display will hopefully be a 65" B6 OLED if I can get in on the $2999 microcenter deal (if they have stock when I happen to be near a microcenter).

Thanks for the suggestion, but those will be too wide. And no projector in the plans, just a 65"+ display).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of the speakers you are looking at, the PSA has a compression driver/wave guide and is a more efficient speaker; using it over the other will be like almost tripling your available amp power. They are both well regarded speakers.
post #5 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Display will hopefully be a 65" B6 OLED if I can get in on the $2999 microcenter deal (if they have stock when I happen to be near a microcenter).

Thanks for the suggestion, but those will be too wide.
I have an e6, that OLED is an awesome display. Good choice.
post #6 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have an e6, that OLED is an awesome display. Good choice.
Can't wait to bring it home in the (hopefully) not too distant future. I wish I could still buy a plasma but that's a discussion for another thread. I posted this in the Audio forum because right now I'm looking for ear candy > eye candy. Though both are important, of course.
post #7 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can't wait to bring it home in the (hopefully) not too distant future. I wish I could still buy a plasma but that's a discussion for another thread. I posted this in the Audio forum because right now I'm looking for ear candy > eye candy. Though both are important, of course.
Hehe, I don't want to derail your thread, but I own a flagship panny plasma, and once you see some crazy-awesome Dolby Vision content on the OLED you will never again yearn for a plasma.

To bring the thread back on topic, for HT, if you are unsure which speaker to buy and can't decide, I would personally go with the more efficient speaker for better dynamics and more amp headroom as a tie breaker, especially when paired with the subs you are looking at.

Good luck with your decision!
post #8 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Of the speakers you are looking at, the PSA has a compression driver/wave guide and is a more efficient speaker; using it over the other will be like almost tripling your available amp power. They are both well regarded speakers.
Does that translate to PSA being the winner only if I want to listen louder? Or do they shine at all volume levels?

I don't necessarily need to listen louder. I only occasionally "crank it up". Usually only when I am the only one home. Even with movies we don't typically go overboard on volume. I'm looking for great sound at all volumes, ideally.

I have some hearing damage due to concerts over my lifetime and drumline for 8 years and don't want to do much more damage even though it will be tempting with a nice new audio system.
post #9 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hehe, I don't want to derail your thread, but I own a flagship panny plasma, and once you see some crazy-awesome Dolby Vision content on the OLED you will never again yearn for a plasma.

To bring the thread back on topic, for HT, if you are unsure which speaker to buy and can't decide, I would personally go with the more efficient speaker for better dynamics and more amp headroom as a tie breaker, especially when paired with the subs you are looking at.

Good luck with your decision!
Good to know about the OLED. I think my main reason for wanting plasma now is it would offer a lower price point with PQ and motion I know I like.

It was nice when you could buy a "dumb" plasma with minimal extra smart features for a reasonable price. I run a HTPC into my tv's so don't need anything special from the TV, just great PQ.
jjackkrash likes this.
post #10 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does that translate to PSA being the winner only if I want to listen louder? Or do they shine at all volume levels?
The louder you listen the bigger the advantage for the compression driver, IMO. I generally prefer efficient speakers with good compression drivers with a well designed wave guide for HT at all listening levels, however. That said, I am 100% sure you will hear from people on here who have a different preference. Its tough to tell what you will prefer, however, and you are the one who counts.
post #11 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The louder you listen the bigger the advantage for the compression driver, IMO. I generally prefer efficient speakers with good compression drivers with a well designed wave guide for HT at all listening levels, however. That said, I am 100% sure you will hear from people on here who have a different preference. Its tough to tell what you will prefer, however, and you are the one who counts.
Our basement is almost finished so once I know when the carpet will be installed I'll order the sub and some MTM110's to give them a listen and make sure I'm OK with the compression driver.
post #12 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Our basement is almost finished so once I know when the carpet will be installed I'll order the sub and some MTM110's to give them a listen and make sure I'm OK with the compression driver.
I think that's a good plan. You will know in a hurry if its your cup of tea.
post #13 of 163 Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Quote:
Not exactly apples to apples but Ascend offers free shipping on some speakers you might want to experiment with. I agree though HE speakers will have the upper hand in terms of limits and power handling of the two...hence why level matching will be key...if you do travel that route.

I know of a couple of people who heard both one returned the ascends the other opted for them.. YMMV.

Try shooting GunmetalR56 he kept the Ascends and heard the 210s during his journey but he also owns PSA subs...a few of us own PSA subs and Ascend speakers.... well, I no longer own a PSA sub but I do think highly of them... and happyily recommend them

Good luck,

Bill
chomdh and jjackkrash like this.

Last edited by Billy p; 08-31-2016 at 07:34 PM.
post #14 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
I am considering the two subject line center + tower combos. Not sure if I'd spend the extra for the RAAL tweeters with the ascend option or not. The RAALs would definitely blow past my budget.

Without the RAAL's, these two sets are nearly the same price.

Can anyone who has heard both in the same room give me a summary/comparison of the sound characteristics?

I have read glowing review after review of both options, and I probably wouldn't be disappointed with either compared to these higher end options, but would like to know how they compare.

I have a ~4000 sq ft basement tv/bar room where this new system (home theater) will reside. All carpet floor except for tile at the far back of the room where the bar is. Only one small window in this area, and there's a ~6ft opening to a hallway in the front right corner of the room.

Speaker cabinet finish does not weigh very heavily with my decision, purely sound. I listen to maybe 50/50 music /movies&TV. My existing system (in the main floor living room) is a pair of klipsch synergy towers, elemental designs a2-300 sub, and yamaha rx-v775. I am planning on buying a PSA v1500 or v1800 with the new LCR set. Not sure what receiver I'll be running either, perhaps a Denon x3300 or whatever comes along at a good price. Or maybe even move the rx-v775 to the basement and pick a cheaper receiver for the living room. Or I've been told Anthem has great receivers if I want to spend more than the x3300.

Thanks everyone in advance. Also, are there any other ~$3,000 LCR options I should consider?
Here's a thread I started once posting a similar question. Might be worth a quick look given your dilemma. Didn't get too much traction, but a couple well known speaker designers did chime in

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...r-psa-etc.html
Billy p, chomdh and jjackkrash like this.
post #15 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9317
I have not heard the Ascends but I can tell you the 210T's are a bargain at their price point. I would Audition a pair of 110's to see if you like the sound signature and go from there. Take note it has been mentioned by a few that the 210T are a significant step up from the 110.
ss nimrod likes this.
post #16 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Bass - with all due respect. I have the Ascends and feel they are a significant bargain at their price point. I would audition a pair of Ascends and see if you like the sound signature and go from there

Threads like this are similar to beating ones head against the wall IMO.

We all like what we own, and I have never had the opportunity to hear the PSA speakers (own a sub). The OP needs to either pick one or order both, try them in their HT/room using their equipment, most importantly using their ears - not ours. Both of these are very good speakers based on what you can read about them on this forum. There are members that didn't like one or the other for whatever reason too. Short of a defective speaker or poor design, past a certain price point it really comes down to personal preference or the WAF. Some forum members are all about high efficiency speakers, others like me lean more towards the traditional designs (differentiating based on efficiency, not quality, RAAL tweeters, concentric designs, etc).

If I was the OP I would reach out to Dave and Tom, ask them questions, both are very knowledgeable, reputable (key word these days as you know) and great guys IMO. Good luck, either way I think you'll enjoy what you hear and the good news is both company's products seem to hold their values very well should you ever want to upgrade or try something else.
Fast351, chomdh, lairpost and 2 others like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #17 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Some forum members are all about high efficiency speakers, others like me lean more towards the traditional designs.
I think this about sums it up. The OP needs to figure out what camp he's in or that he's fine in either camp, then the choices become easier.
chomdh and madhuski like this.
post #18 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I haven't heard the Ascends but I am sure they are very good speakers. They have a rear port so placing them close to a wall may be an issue. The PSAs are sealed.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
post #19 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
I think you are trying to compare steak to sushi here (which, I like both ). It's probably very much going to lean toward user preference. I had the same problem and I debated going with PSA or Ascend Sierra series to start my upgrade. Ended up ordering the Horizon with RAAL.

That being said, you should estimate your average listening volume and how far your seating will be from the speakers. For me, it turned out that the increased efficiency and power handling of the PSA's would probably not make a difference given those usage factors.
chomdh and jjackkrash like this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #20 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
With a 65" screen the viewing/listening distance should not be more than 9' or so, so no real need for HE speakers.

The best thing to do would be to demo a pair of Sierra bookshelf models and the pair of MT110 and determine which you like best. It's the only way to know for sure.
Billy p, smurraybhm and chomdh like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #21 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Personally I would like to try the 210s someday. Tom??

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #22 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
With a 65" screen the viewing/listening distance should not be more than 9' or so, so no real need for HE speakers.
There's no kill like overkill.
chomdh and ss nimrod like this.
post #23 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Here's a thread I started once posting a similar question. Might be worth a quick look given your dilemma. Didn't get too much traction, but a couple well known speaker designers did chime in

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...r-psa-etc.html
Awesome, thanks for the link. I have some more reading to do.
post #24 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I think you are trying to compare steak to sushi here (which, I like both ). It's probably very much going to lean toward user preference. I had the same problem and I debated going with PSA or Ascend Sierra series to start my upgrade. Ended up ordering the Horizon with RAAL.

That being said, you should estimate your average listening volume and how far your seating will be from the speakers. For me, it turned out that the increased efficiency and power handling of the PSA's would probably not make a difference given those usage factors.
Good analogy. I like both as well. Good to know I can't go wrong.

So with that said, are there any other ~$3,000 LCR sets I should consider?
post #25 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:

You asking me? I don't know. I was fixated on those two since I own a PSA sub and some Ascend speakers already

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #26 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

I think some typical contenders in the roughly 1k/speaker range are the Salk Songtowers, SVS Ultra Tower, JTR 228, Aperion Verus Grand, and Selah Audio in addition to the ones allready on your list.

There are probably a bunch more non-ID companies as well

Lots of options at 3k, and no way to know for sure what you like other than listening.
darthray and chomdh like this.
post #27 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:

Aperion Grand Versus or the Grand Versus II. Beautiful speakers with a 60 day trial period shipping included.

Monitor Audio. Crutchfield sells them so 60 day trial period, shipping to you included, discounted return shipping.

Sonus Faber- crutchfield sells them too.

Focal- Music Direct has the best prices on Focal. Not sure on their shipping and return policy.

NHT- direct, 30 days, shipping included

Philharmonic audio. Contact the owner Dennis Murphy about a center to go with his bookshelf or towers.
darthray and chomdh like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #28 of 163 Old 09-01-2016, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Aperion Grand Versus or the Grand Versus II. Beautiful speakers with a 60 day trial period shipping included.

Monitor Audio. Crutchfield sells them so 60 day trial period, shipping to you included, discounted return shipping.

Sonus Faber- crutchfield sells them too.

Focal- Music Direct has the best prices on Focal. Not sure on their shipping and return policy.

NHT- direct, 30 days, shipping included

Philharmonic audio. Contact the owner Dennis Murphy about a center to go with his bookshelf or towers.
Thank you for the suggestions. So many options.
post #29 of 163 Old 09-03-2016, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Bass - with all due respect. I have the Ascends and feel they are a significant bargain at their price point. I would audition a pair of Ascends and see if you like the sound signature and go from there

Threads like this are similar to beating ones head against the wall IMO.

We all like what we own, and I have never had the opportunity to hear the PSA speakers (own a sub). The OP needs to either pick one or order both, try them in their HT/room using their equipment, most importantly using their ears - not ours. Both of these are very good speakers based on what you can read about them on this forum. There are members that didn't like one or the other for whatever reason too. Short of a defective speaker or poor design, past a certain price point it really comes down to personal preference or the WAF. Some forum members are all about high efficiency speakers, others like me lean more towards the traditional designs (differentiating based on efficiency, not quality, RAAL tweeters, concentric designs, etc).

If I was the OP I would reach out to Dave and Tom, ask them questions, both are very knowledgeable, reputable (key word these days as you know) and great guys IMO. Good luck, either way I think you'll enjoy what you hear and the good news is both company's products seem to hold their values very well should you ever want to upgrade or try something else.
I was not implying the Ascends were not a bargain, I am sure they are.

Perhaps, I might try a pair someday for kicks.

Last edited by basshead81; 09-03-2016 at 07:32 AM.
post #30 of 163 Old 09-03-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I was not implying the Ascends were not a bargain, I am sure they are.

Perhaps, I might try a pair someday for kicks.

Nice to see you edited that post....99%...really.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page