My Wife's Going To Kill Me (Re: Help Me Pick new Tower Speakers) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Wife's Going To Kill Me (Re: Help Me Pick new Tower Speakers)

Long story short. Bought a new TV unit that doesn't accommodate my SVS SCS-01's. I can set them on top of the TV unit no problem when watching TV but they'll be covered up when the projector is in use and we pull down the screen. Switching the screen to an acoustically transparent screen isn't an option because then I'd be looking at a new projector (such a slippery slope). So I was originally considering getting a couple of SVS Prime Satellites to use with the SVS SCS-01's when watching TV and then switching to just the Satellites when using the projector. But I'm not sold on using those exclusively for left and right fronts. So I thought of getting a couple of tower speakers and moving my SVS SCS-01's back to use as my back left and right surrounds (replacing my SVS SBS-01's).

There are some really good sales going on right now that I'm debating about.

Polk TSX550 for $798.00 CAN ($601 off)
Kef Q700 for $988.00 CAN ($1011 off)

I'll still have my SVS SCS-01 center channel. And along with that I have my SVS PB-10 subwoofer. My AV receiver is a Sony str-dn1040 https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDN1040.pdf

I've also considered just sticking with SVS and instead getting the Prime Tower speakers. But with the $1400 price tag, I'd then have to consider the Kef Q900 which is also on sale at the moment for $1397 ($1002 off). These are all in a large rec room setting btw. Any advice on which pair to go with would be greatly appreciate (prayers that my wife doesn't kill me...also appreciated).
CyberSteak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
Long story short. Bought a new TV unit that doesn't accommodate my SVS SCS-01's. I can set them on top of the TV unit no problem when watching TV but they'll be covered up when the projector is in use and we pull down the screen. Switching the screen to an acoustically transparent screen isn't an option because then I'd be looking at a new projector (such a slippery slope). So I was originally considering getting a couple of SVS Prime Satellites to use with the SVS SCS-01's when watching TV and then switching to just the Satellites when using the projector. But I'm not sold on using those exclusively for left and right fronts. So I thought of getting a couple of tower speakers and moving my SVS SCS-01's back to use as my back left and right surrounds (replacing my SVS SBS-01's).

There are some really good sales going on right now that I'm debating about.

Polk TSX550 for $798.00 CAN ($601 off)
Kef Q700 for $988.00 CAN ($1011 off)

I'll still have my SVS SCS-01 center channel. And along with that I have my SVS PB-10 subwoofer. My AV receiver is a Sony str-dn1040 https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDN1040.pdf

I've also considered just sticking with SVS and instead getting the Prime Tower speakers. But with the $1400 price tag, I'd then have to consider the Kef Q900 which is also on sale at the moment for $1397 ($1002 off). These are all in a large rec room setting btw. Any advice on which pair to go with would be greatly appreciate (prayers that my wife doesn't kill me...also appreciated).

Before you get to far into this, is putting the center on a stand, below the screen when in use, an option?
If so, quote me so I get a notification, and I will send you some instruction on how to properly angle a center speaker.
This would give you a little bit of time for shopping


Just an option to look at.


Ray
darthray is offline  
post #3 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Before you get to far into this, is putting the center on a stand, below the screen when in use, an option?
If so, quote me so I get a notification, and I will send you some instruction on how to properly angle a center speaker.
This would give you a little bit of time for shopping


Just an option to look at.


Ray
Hey Ray. Thanks for the response. Actually the center speaker isn't the issue. it fits very nicely in the TV cabinet so it's not an issue with the projector screen down. It's the left and rights that are the problem. Poor quality "in progress" pic attached for reference. Originally I was going to find a way to shelve the SVS SCS-01's to the outside of those columns (the projector screen covers to the outside edge of both columns) but those columns are only 6" deep and the SVS SCS-01's are 9.5" so it'd be a rather awkward shelf. I guess I could use them as "tower" speakers and just sit them on the floor. But they're not a very tall speaker (20"), so I'd be losing a lot of their quality and sound in doing that. So that's why I decided to go the legit tower route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	889280.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1649353  
CyberSteak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Have you considered the new Emotiva AirMotiv T1 towers? $525 each at Summit Hi-Fi, but 10% off deal right now. Free shipping across Canada. Tax on top of course.


I actually have a similar, but slightly different problem, as I want to upgrade my speakers, but the dimensions of the cabinet won't allow for the matching center for any of the brands I have strongly considered. Center on a stand is not an option. I have considered getting rid of the cabinet, but that won't go over with the wife.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; 2 x PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; 3 x Emotiva XPA-100; Emotiva BAS-X A500
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #5 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
There are some really good sales going on right now that I'm debating about.

Polk TSX550 for $798.00 CAN ($601 off)
Kef Q700 for $988.00 CAN ($1011 off)
I'd go with the KEFs. That's a really good price for Canadian since you guys usually get shafted on speaker prices.
sigpig likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #6 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 2809
What about some stands to put you speakers on the outside of the columns instead of putting them on the floor.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ak%2Caps%2C151

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #7 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
Have you considered the new Emotiva AirMotiv T1 towers? $525 each at Summit Hi-Fi, but 10% off deal right now. Free shipping across Canada. Tax on top of course.


I actually have a similar, but slightly different problem, as I want to upgrade my speakers, but the dimensions of the cabinet won't allow for the matching center for any of the brands I have strongly considered. Center on a stand is not an option. I have considered getting rid of the cabinet, but that won't go over with the wife.
Regarding Emotiva AirMotiv T1. Nope. Never even considered it. Visions has their sale going on right now and so does 2001audiovideo. I looked for best bang for the buck (read: biggest sale). And I hear you about the cabinet. That's what got me on this runaway train to begin with. I haven't even told my wife yet that I'm looking at new speakers. Trying to come up with the perfect excuse...er...reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I'd go with the KEFs. That's a really good price for Canadian since you guys usually get shafted on speaker prices.
700's or 900's? Both are ridiculously discounted right now.
CyberSteak is offline  
post #8 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
What about some stands to put you speakers on the outside of the columns instead of putting them on the floor.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ak%2Caps%2C151
Another option. I have small kids though so it wouldn't be a permanent setup as I could clearly see them being toppled over (which could help me justify buying new speakers...hmmm). But yeah I guess I could set them up whenever we're using the projector. The right side wouldn't be a concern because nobody passes between that column and the staircase next to it (my PB-10 sub is currently sitting there). But the left side is a high traffic area for anyone using the workout space or doing laundry.
CyberSteak is offline  
post #9 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
Regarding Emotiva AirMotiv T1. Nope. Never even considered it. Visions has their sale going on right now and so does 2001audiovideo. I looked for best bang for the buck (read: biggest sale). And I hear you about the cabinet. That's what got me on this runaway train to begin with. I haven't even told my wife yet that I'm looking at new speakers. Trying to come up with the perfect excuse...er...reason.



700's or 900's? Both are ridiculously discounted right now.
FWIW, I love my Kefs, they sound fantastic, The only reason I don't have Q500's is because my room is too small. I didn't copare the directly to Polks though. I got them from 2001 audio, received them in perfect condition and only took 2 days to get them from Whitby.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #10 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post

700's or 900's? Both are ridiculously discounted right now.
I would probably go for the 700s and also get the matching center channel to see if I liked it better than the SVS. If not, then send it back

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #11 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
Visions has their sale going on right now and so does 2001audiovideo. I looked for best bang for the buck (read: biggest sale). And I hear you about the cabinet. That's what got me on this runaway train to begin with. I haven't even told my wife yet that I'm looking at new speakers. Trying to come up with the perfect excuse...er...reason.



700's or 900's? Both are ridiculously discounted right now.

I saw the Visions sale, but didn't see 2001audiovideo (I stopped frequenting their website as it seemed everything was in-store only, but now most everything is shippable! FREE!). I started doing some research on the PSB X series, they look real nice, and the centre would actually fit my cabinet. I like the look of the KEF's as well, but I would want to go with either 700 or 900 fronts and the larger centre to match those (I assume) is too big; could only go with the smaller centre and I assume it wouldn't keep up with those bigger fronts.

This has really got me thinking now!

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; 2 x PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; 3 x Emotiva XPA-100; Emotiva BAS-X A500
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #12 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 AM
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 76
B&W CM line should destroy most everything recommended here, like SVS.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #13 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
PSB makes some nice speakers. If you are drawn to their X series, I don't see how that could be a bad choice. Here's a review from an AVS member: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...em-review.html. You could ask imagic (the author) questions in that thread. He's very good about helping people out

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #14 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
B&W CM line should destroy most everything recommended here, like SVS.
Ok. Is it in the same price range?
CyberSteak is offline  
post #15 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,298
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Is the prices discussed for each or the pair?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is offline  
post #16 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Is the prices discussed for each or the pair?
The prices I listed above where for pairs.
CyberSteak is offline  
post #17 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,644
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
B&W CM line should destroy most everything recommended here, like SVS.
Of course you would say that. You sell them...
sigpig is offline  
post #18 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 AM
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Of course you would say that. You sell them...
No, I don't.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #19 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,298
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
The prices I listed above where for pairs.
The KEF deal looks good to me.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is offline  
post #20 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Member
 
2channel8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
Long story short.

I've also considered just sticking with SVS and instead getting the Prime Tower speakers. But with the $1400 price tag, I'd then have to consider the Kef Q900 which is also on sale at the moment for $1397 ($1002 off). These are all in a large rec room setting btw. Any advice on which pair to go with would be greatly appreciate (prayers that my wife doesn't kill me...also appreciated).
The SVS Prime Towers are $499.99 each in black ash. Free shipping, 45 day trial. I heard them in a retail and liked 'em better than the Ultras. You can get open box for less.
ELAC are often compared to the SVS. Although I haven't heard them the Debut F6 has similar, if not better specs and costs quite a bit less. The ELAC Uni-Fi U5 costs the same as the Prime an got some raves. I found a pair of used Cantons locally that put an end to my shopping (luv 'em!); but I was really hoping to find a pair of Tektons to hear. The Lore range is under $1,000. However all my evaluations were for stereo only; not HT.

Happy shopping!
2channel8 is offline  
post #21 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,644
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
The SVS Prime Towers are $499.99 each in black ash. Free shipping, 45 day trial. I heard them in a retail and liked 'em better than the Ultras. You can get open box for less.
ELAC are often compared to the SVS. Although I haven't heard them the Debut F6 has similar, if not better specs and costs quite a bit less. The ELAC Uni-Fi U5 costs the same as the Prime an got some raves. I found a pair of used Cantons locally that put an end to my shopping (luv 'em!); but I was really hoping to find a pair of Tektons to hear. The Lore range is under $1,000. However all my evaluations were for stereo only; not HT.

Happy shopping!
The OP lives in Canada, so you have to factor in the exchange rate, shipping, and duty as they cross the border. Plus the fact that SVS doesn't ship to Canada, and their dealers up here are rip-offs...
darthray likes this.
sigpig is offline  
post #22 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
The SVS Prime Towers are $499.99 each in black ash. Free shipping, 45 day trial. I heard them in a retail and liked 'em better than the Ultras. You can get open box for less.
Just to point out, CyberSteak is in Canada. So they cost him 40% more in Canadian dollars. I wouldn't buy the Prime Towers for $1400 Canadian when the KEF Q700 towers are <$1000 CAD.
sigpig likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #23 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
The SVS Prime Towers are $499.99 each in black ash. Free shipping, 45 day trial. I heard them in a retail and liked 'em better than the Ultras. You can get open box for less.
ELAC are often compared to the SVS. Although I haven't heard them the Debut F6 has similar, if not better specs and costs quite a bit less. The ELAC Uni-Fi U5 costs the same as the Prime an got some raves. I found a pair of used Cantons locally that put an end to my shopping (luv 'em!); but I was really hoping to find a pair of Tektons to hear. The Lore range is under $1,000. However all my evaluations were for stereo only; not HT.

Happy shopping!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
The OP lives in Canada, so you have to factor in the exchange rate, shipping, and duty as they cross the border. Plus the fact that SVS doesn't ship to Canada, and their dealers up here are rip-offs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Just to point out, CyberSteak is in Canada. So they cost him 40% more in Canadian dollars.
Yep! From Canada. My original post had the price for the Primes up here. $1400 and then there'll be 13% sales tax on top of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I wouldn't buy the Prime Towers for $1400 Canadian when the KEF Q700 towers are <$1000 CAD.
And actually the q900 cost the same as the Primes. So is it worth making the jump from the Q700 to Q900 for the extra $400?

I asked one of the dealers if there was any more of a discount on the Primes. I let him know that I was considering the Kef q900's at the same price point and he said the following...

"You will always get a 5% discount on any purchase from us as a repeat customer.
You will also want to go with the SVS over KEF at the same price for sure. The SVS prime towers are much better speakers , and are really more like $3000 plus speakers because of the lack of retail margin in the price."

I'm not sure he realized that the Kef's regular price was $2400. But that's a pretty strong claim regarding what the SVS would be with a retail margin price.
CyberSteak is offline  
post #24 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
I have to ask if the problem that you want new speaker, or that the Projection Screen is going to cover the speaker when it comes down? Presumably it does come down.

How much to you like your existing speakers?

How wide is the Projection Screen relative to the Posts on each side of the system?

If you have room to place two Floorstanding outside the posts, then you have room to place the existing speakers on Stands outside the Posts.

With the Screen come down far enough to cover the actual Center Speaker? I get the impression that the problem is not the Center speaker, but the Left/Right speakers? Yes ...no ...maybe?

If you want floorstanding, give us a budget, and as you can see there will be no shortage of recommendations.

However, if you simply want to solve the problem, the I'm sure there are solutions to that too.

One example, simply move the Left/Right speakers onto stands. If you can't find stands of the right size (unlikely) then have some custom made. It is not that hard to find a cabinet maker, carpenter, or hobby woodworker to do the task for you. Perhaps even some kids at the high school or local Tech School looking for a project and a chance to make some money.

It seem, at least to me, we are talking about two different things. One is upgrading the speakers to floorstanding. Not a problem if that is what you want to do. Just give us a working budget. The other is finding a way to place the existing speakers, so they are not covered by the screen. That to has simply solutions. Do you have a preference for one solution over the other?

Steve/bluewizard
darthray likes this.
bluewizard is offline  
post #25 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok I covered some of these above but I'll reply to each question here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
I have to ask if the problem that you want new speaker, or that the Projection Screen is going to cover the speaker when it comes down? Presumably it does come down.
Initially I just needed to figure out a way of using the SVS SCS-01. My solution was going to be mounting a shelf to the side of those columns but the depth of the column (6") vs. the depth of the speaker (9.5") made that solution a little awkward. So then I considered buying Prime Satellites to hang from the beam on either side of the columns to use when the projector screen is down. But I'm not convinced that option would be significant enough for movie viewing/gaming. So then I started down the trail of buying taller Towers. The thought of upgrading the sound, while solving the initial problem, seemed like a great idea.

Quote:
How much to you like your existing speakers?
I like them. But I've never had anything better so I can honestly say, they're the best I've ever had. But you don't know what you're missing, unless you know what you're missing.

Quote:
How wide is the Projection Screen relative to the Posts on each side of the system?
With the screen down it comes within an inch to the outside edge of each column.

Quote:
If you have room to place two Floorstanding outside the posts, then you have room to place the existing speakers on Stands outside the Posts.
On the right side, I'm not concerned. No foot traffic goes through there. On the left side however, everyone in the household (including 2 littles) go through to access the workout area, laundry, or use the squat rack like a jungle gym. One of the reasons I was looking at "beefy" speakers to ensure there's less chance that they don't get knocked over. To set the speakers up permanently on stands would have me concerned that they'd topple over like Jenga blocks if one of the littles bumped into it or if someone was walking through with a full laundry hamper.

Quote:
With the Screen come down far enough to cover the actual Center Speaker? I get the impression that the problem is not the Center speaker, but the Left/Right speakers? Yes ...no ...maybe?
Yeah the center speaker isn't an issue at all when the screen comes down. In my previous custom cabinet I built (malamine shelving, screws, glue, caulking, and spray paint...looked fine at the time, ugly as sin in the end) the left and right front speaker had a home. I wanted to migrate all my av components and equipment to the front where my TV was so I went with a Besta TV unit that could accommodate it all. Well, everything but the left and right fronts. Won't even get into the fact that I had to rip apart those two columns in order to fit the Besta TV unit in as the space between them was 7/8" too short. Attached a "before" shot.

Quote:
If you want floorstanding, give us a budget, and as you can see there will be no shortage of recommendations.
I think $1400 before taxes would have to be it. The ones above is what I found just briefly browsing some retailers here in Canada. Being able to cash in on a great sale helps.

Quote:
However, if you simply want to solve the problem, the I'm sure there are solutions to that too.

One example, simply move the Left/Right speakers onto stands. If you can't find stands of the right size (unlikely) then have some custom made. It is not that hard to find a cabinet maker, carpenter, or hobby woodworker to do the task for you. Perhaps even some kids at the high school or local Tech School looking for a project and a chance to make some money.
Yeah I covered that above. The fear of the towers toppling over while on the stands. Doesn't help that this is a basement area with an uneven floor, especially at the base of those columns. I guess I could potentially just place them on the stands when the projector is in use. I browsed amazon.ca but could find any that were tall enough (26" or more) but had a large enough base plate (7"w x 8 3/4"deep).

Quote:
It seem, at least to me, we are talking about two different things. One is upgrading the speakers to floorstanding. Not a problem if that is what you want to do. Just give us a working budget. The other is finding a way to place the existing speakers, so they are not covered by the screen. That to has simply solutions. Do you have a preference for one solution over the other?
I'm really quite open to either. If I upgrade, I obviously would want a significant improvement. The only possible concern I guess would be needing to get a new center channel as well. And as someone mentioned above, they themselves are having issues finding one that fits their cabinet.


Sidenote. Nobody seems to have love for the Polk speakers huh? I wasn't thrilled with the curved cabinet, but from what I was able to hear through videos on the internet they seemed pretty decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	886344.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1649881  
CyberSteak is offline  
post #26 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yosh70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sask. Canada
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
If you want an upgrade in sound but not break the bank, I can highly recommend this setup.

http://www.fluance.com/center-channe...-speaker-black
http://www.fluance.com/floorstanding...kers-black-ash

I have the XL5F towers altho I like the bass (and base) that the XL7's have and I think for your situation, it would be worthwhile.

Free shipping and 30 day trial, very well made and on top of that, a generous discount is given when placing the order.
Best to phone in and actually talk to someone.

I'd even recommend the Signature Series but have not heard them as they are not out till mid month due to x-over issues.
Those speakers are our next upgrade for our tiny living room.

Heres a little post I made after I received the Fluance's
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ck-review.html

Last edited by Yosh70; 09-08-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Yosh70 is offline  
post #27 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok so to further make things interesting. Visions has a price match guarantee. 15% of the difference.

- They're Kef Q900 is currently $2,399.00. 2001audiovideo has it for $1,397.99.
- Visions has the Q200 Center for $600. 2001audiovideo has it for $397.99.

Price matching saves me an additional $238.96 before taxes.

So all in, with taxes, I could get the Q900 with the Q200 center for $1766.26!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post
If you want an upgrade in sound but not break the bank, I can highly recommend this setup.

http://www.fluance.com/center-channe...-speaker-black
http://www.fluance.com/floorstanding...kers-black-ash

I have the XL5F towers altho I like the bass (and base) that the XL7's have and I think for your situation, it would be worthwhile.

Free shipping and 30 day trial, very well made and on top of that, a generous discount is given when placing the order.
Best to phone in and actually talk to someone.

I'd even recommend the Signature Series but have not heard them as they are not out till mid month due to x-over issues.
Those speakers are our next upgrade for our tiny living room.

Heres a little post I made after I received the Fluance's
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ck-review.html
Those are VERY nice looking speakers.
cel4145 likes this.
CyberSteak is offline  
post #28 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,604
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 3273
CyberSteak
Will your screen cover those two columns?


My solution would be to mount a pair shelf's on the side of the column, if it cover the columns, even if it need to stick out a little bit.
This way, you can use your existing speakers, until you are ready to up-grade them.
Also, it would be out of the way for the kiddies.


And once you decide what you want, if bookshelf's, they could use those same shelf's.
If you decide to go with towers, you can always remove the shelf's, and do a quick putty and paint job to hide the holes where they were mounted.


Just another thing to think about


Ray
darthray is offline  
post #29 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSteak View Post
Ok I covered some of these above but I'll reply to each question here...
...


On the right side, I'm not concerned. No foot traffic goes through there. On the left side however, everyone in the household (including 2 littles) go through to access the workout area, laundry, or use the squat rack like a jungle gym. One of the reasons I was looking at "beefy" speakers to ensure there's less chance that they don't get knocked over. To set the speakers up permanently on stands would have me concerned that they'd topple over like Jenga blocks if one of the littles bumped into it or if someone was walking through with a full laundry hamper.
Get stands (or have them made) with a large center column, then fill that center column with sand to make the stand incredibly heavy. Put the speakers on top and screw the speakers to the stands.


Quote:
...I think $1400 before taxes would have to be it. The ones above is what I found just briefly browsing some retailers here in Canada. Being able to cash in on a great sale helps....

I'm really quite open to either. If I upgrade, I obviously would want a significant improvement. The only possible concern I guess would be needing to get a new center channel as well. And as someone mentioned above, they themselves are having issues finding one that fits their cabinet.

Sidenote. Nobody seems to have love for the Polk speakers huh? I wasn't thrilled with the curved cabinet, but from what I was able to hear through videos on the internet they seemed pretty decent.
So again, existing speakers on stand. Actually you attached a photo of the speakers placed down in the equipment stand. That's workable, but you might want to raise the front up just a bit. Though that depend on your listening distance. Just shim them upward a bit so they are pointed more directly at the listener. This is optional, but something to consider.

As to floorstanding, if I recall correctly you are in Canada, and for some reason audio equipment is exceptionally expensive in Canada even for Canadian brands.

Polk speakers are fine for the price, but it is not the only option, there are many other good speakers to consider. And many speakers that are perhaps a better bargain, but nothing inherently wrong with Polk. Like any other speaker, the more you spend, the more you get.

Whether you will have to buy a new Center is up to you. You certainly don't have to buy it right away. But the general rule is that the Front and Center should be Brand and Series matched to maintain tonal consistency across the Front. Various people have various opinion about how much tonal inconsistency they can tolerate. Many people mix and match all their speaker based on what best fits the budget and the space. Other want consistency as close as possible. Every system compromises something somewhere. In you case, you just have to decide what compromises best serve you.

As a suggestion, see if you can find Wharfedale Diamond 10.7, which should be on deep discounts as the newer Wharfedale Diamond 200 series is out now. Even the newer Diamond 230 (2x6.5", 2-way) might work well for you. If you can find the considerably large but very good Diamond 10.CM Center (2x6.5", 3-way), and if you can make it work in your system it is an impressive Center at a bargain price.

You need to think about how you want the speakers to sound. For example, I have Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 which were their largest floorstanding speakers - sweet, smooth, mellow - fantastic for music. But for movies, I think I would like a bit more mid/high presence to make voice stand out. Can't fault them for music though. Keep in mind, my Diamond 9 are 3 model series behind the current models ( Series 9, Series 10, Series 100, and now Series 200).

I suspect, given price in Canada, and assuming a considerable import tax if imported from the USA, with a CA$1400/pr budget, you should probably be looking at USA$1000/pr speakers.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline  
post #30 of 55 Old 09-08-2016, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CyberSteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
CyberSteak
Will your screen cover those two columns?


My solution would be to mount a pair shelf's on the side of the column, if it cover the columns, even if it need to stick out a little bit.
This way, you can use your existing speakers, until you are ready to up-grade them.
Also, it would be out of the way for the kiddies.


And once you decide what you want, if bookshelf's, they could use those same shelf's.
If you decide to go with towers, you can always remove the shelf's, and do a quick putty and paint job to hide the holes where they were mounted.


Just another thing to think about


Ray
Yeah the screen comes nearly to the outer edge of the columns. I actually have to shift it over about a half inch. Whoever who finished the columns before didn't do so symmetrically. Needless to say I installed the screen to where those columns sat previously. So when ripped them apart and rebuilt them to accommodate the TV unit, I had to move the right column out further then the left. So once the screen is centered between the two columns it'll come about a half an inch to the outside edge of the columns. Pic attached.

And yeah after all this...I think I'll likely just pump the breaks on buying new speakers and figure out a way to accommodate existing SVS's. Hurts a little because that was an amazing deal especially taking advantage of Visions best price guarantee (would have saved an additional $238.96 below their competitors cheapest price. Ugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14199442_10154903419319239_1932788176319308982_n.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1650385  
CyberSteak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off