• 1 Post By cel4145

post #1 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
7.1 speakers issue

Hi
I setup my 7+1 speakers to my Denon 1609. I setup my Audyssay and it reads all speakers fine, I was happy. Tested a movie on DVD and the back speakers don't work at all? Side speakers work fine. I read a little about the issue and it maybe due to the fact that there is not much of video dvd's that support the 7.1 system. I checked all my bluray DVD's and on all of them is written "for 5.1". Does that make sense? How many movies is there on 7.1 setup? How do I find them? Is Netflix showing anything in 7.1?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
You already have a thread on this topic that you started this morning: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ers-setup.html

It's better to keep this topic to one thread. Makes it easier for people to help you then to have related conversations about the same thing going on two threads.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

With all due respect... The question is straight to the point, and different from what I asked before. This questions still up.

Ps... do you know the answer to the question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea3 View Post
Hi
I setup my 7+1 speakers to my Denon 1609. I setup my Audyssay and it reads all speakers fine, I was happy. Tested a movie on DVD and the back speakers don't work at all? Side speakers work fine. I read a little about the issue and it maybe due to the fact that there is not much of video dvd's that support the 7.1 system. I checked all my bluray DVD's and on all of them is written "for 5.1". Does that make sense? How many movies is there on 7.1 setup? How do I find them? Is Netflix showing anything in 7.1?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
Not sure as to the answer, but I've noticed only one movie in the past couple of months that worked with 7.1 (In the Heart of the Sea) -- didn't care much for the film by the way -- and not because I have a 7.1 system set up, just that I noticed my receiver switching to whatever flavor dts/dolby uses for 7.1. I haven't noticed anything since.

If you have any older movies on bluray, they may not even be 5.1, many are 2.1.
idea3 likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Here you go...quick Google search:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159814

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #6 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Make sure your receiver is in 7Ch stereo mode. If it is it shouldn't matter if the movie is in 5.1 or 7.1 it should play through all of your speakers. There are tons of 7.1 movies out there.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stice View Post
Make sure your receiver is in 7Ch stereo mode.
What?
post #8 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post
What?
His receiver may be in 5 Channel stereo mode which is why his rear speakers aren't working. If he goes through his settings on his receiver there should be an option to turn 7 channel stereo mode on and then all of the speakers should play sound. If not then there may be another issue. The receiver has different surround mode options. Here are what the surround modes the receiver has:
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:

Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
Dolby Digital EX: Dolby Digital EX is a 6.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
DTS Digital Surround: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES features two 6.1 multi-channel formats.
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1: DTS-ES Discrete 6.1-channel is a 6.1-channel discrete digital audio format adding a surround back channel to the DTS digital surround sound.
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1: DTS-ES Matrix 6.1-channel is a discrete 5.1 channel digital audio format inserting a surround back channel to the DTS surround sound through matrix encoding.
DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 is a digital audio format enabling high sound quality playback in 5.1-channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bit quantization of DVD-video.
Dolby Pro Logic II: Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from Cinema, Music, or Game formats. You can also choose Dolby Pro Logic (the earlier 4-channel mode).
Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic IIx formats - Cinema, Music, or Game.
DTS Neo:6 Surround: DTS Neo:6 is a matrix decoding technology for achieving 6.1-channel surround playback with 2-channel sources. You can choose from two DTS Neo: 6 Surround formats - Neo: 6 Cinema and Neo: 6 Music.
Combined Surround Modes: The receiver features several combined modes using existing Dolby and DTS surround modes:
Dolby Digital + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema
Dolby Digital + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music
DTS + Neo:6
DTS + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema
DTS + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music
Denon Original Surround (DSP) Modes:
Rock Arena: this mode is for enjoying the atmosphere of a live concert in an arena
Jazz Club: this mode is for enjoying the atmosphere of a live concert in a jazz club
Mono Movie: this mode is for playing monaural movie sources with surround sound
Video Game: this mode is suited for achieving surround sound with video games
Matrix: this mode lets you add a sense of expansion to stereo music sources
Virtual: this mode is for enjoying surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones
5CH/7CH Stereo: this mode is for enjoying stereo sound from all speakers
post #9 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
His receiver may be in 5 Channel stereo mode which is why his rear speakers aren't working. If he goes through his settings on his receiver there should be an option to turn 7 channel stereo mode on and then all of the speakers should play sound. If not then there may be another issue. The receiver has different surround mode options. Here are what the surround modes the receiver has:
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:

Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
Dolby Digital EX: Dolby Digital EX is a 6.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
DTS Digital Surround: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES features two 6.1 multi-channel formats.
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1: DTS-ES Discrete 6.1-channel is a 6.1-channel discrete digital audio format adding a surround back channel to the DTS digital surround sound.
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1: DTS-ES Matrix 6.1-channel is a discrete 5.1 channel digital audio format inserting a surround back channel to the DTS surround sound through matrix encoding.
DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 is a digital audio format enabling high sound quality playback in 5.1-channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bit quantization of DVD-video.
Dolby Pro Logic II: Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from Cinema, Music, or Game formats. You can also choose Dolby Pro Logic (the earlier 4-channel mode).
Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic IIx formats - Cinema, Music, or Game.
DTS Neo:6 Surround: DTS Neo:6 is a matrix decoding technology for achieving 6.1-channel surround playback with 2-channel sources. You can choose from two DTS Neo: 6 Surround formats - Neo: 6 Cinema and Neo: 6 Music.
Combined Surround Modes: The receiver features several combined modes using existing Dolby and DTS surround modes:
Dolby Digital + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema
Dolby Digital + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music
DTS + Neo:6
DTS + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Cinema
DTS + Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music
Denon Original Surround (DSP) Modes:
Rock Arena: this mode is for enjoying the atmosphere of a live concert in an arena
Jazz Club: this mode is for enjoying the atmosphere of a live concert in a jazz club
Mono Movie: this mode is for playing monaural movie sources with surround sound
Video Game: this mode is suited for achieving surround sound with video games
Matrix: this mode lets you add a sense of expansion to stereo music sources
Virtual: this mode is for enjoying surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones
5CH/7CH Stereo: this mode is for enjoying stereo sound from all speakers
Thank you for all replies!

I am specifically setting it up for Dolby or or DTS mode (not 5 channel stereo), and my receiver supports 7.1. When checked with audyssay all of them work. I am new in the 7.1 world, I am learning...
post #10 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
His receiver may be in 5 Channel stereo mode which is why his rear speakers aren't working. If he goes through his settings on his receiver there should be an option to turn 7 channel stereo mode on and then all of the speakers should play sound.
I already told him that in his other thread.
Scott Stice likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #11 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
His receiver may be in 5 Channel stereo mode which is why his rear speakers aren't working.........
Im familiar with the processing that receivers offer....thanks for the copy/paste tho

We're not talking multi-channel music here, he's inquiring about movies with 5.1/7.1 audio.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I already told him that in his other thread.
Oh didn't realize there was a duplicate thread!
post #13 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post
Im familiar with the processing that receivers offer....thanks for the copy/paste tho

We're not talking multi-channel music here, he's inquiring about movies with 5.1/7.1 audio.
I am not sure where your trying to go with this but the OP stated that he wasn't getting sound out of his rear channels in his 7.1 system. If his receiver is set in (7CHANNEL) stereo mode it doesn't matter what the disc is mixed in rather it be a movie in 5.1,6.1 or 7.1 the receiver will mix it to 7.1 playing through all of his speakers.

Last edited by Scott Stice; 09-10-2016 at 05:23 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-10-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I am not sure where your trying to go with this but the OP stated that he wasn't getting sound out of his rear channels in his 7.1 system. If his receiver is set in (7CHANNEL) stereo mode it doesn't matter what the disc is mixed in rather it be a movie in 5.1,6.1 or 7.1 the receiver will mix it to 7.1 playing through all of his speakers.
Sorry I now see in the other thread he is now talking about 7.1 content my apologies Yosh70!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page