New House! HUGE room (11K cu ft)! Uh, help? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kini62
  • 4 Post By raynist
  • 1 Post By 18Hurts

post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2016, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 34
New House! HUGE room (11K cu ft)! Uh, help?

So I've been happily living in our small house for a decade with a small home theater in the basement (Paradigm Millenia Trio soundbar due to space constraints, Marantz AVR, Artison surrounds, and a martin logan sub) used 95% for home theater and a little music here and there. Upstairs in our living room, we have a "lifestyle" system (Geneva Model L) due to our tiny living room, that's used for most of our casual music listening. But we're moving! Into a much bigger house! And I get to invest in a good music system again (it's been a couple decades)!

I'll be replacing the Geneva with a more critical system for music on the main floor, and a much improved home theater in the basement. For now, the home theater system I have will suffice, but I'm excited about upgrading our music system.

I've been out of the hobby for a long while although I read the forums pretty regularly, and am versed in the basics (audition speakers in your house, room treatments, room correction features of AVR's, important of placement, sub crawl, etc), but I've never had a space like this one. The house is in the city on a 30x120 foot lot, which leads to a long thin house. Combine that with a wide-open floor plan, and 9 foot ceilings and you get the attached. Other than the 1/2 bath labeled, which is flanked by a coat closet, and a small pantry, the rest of that floor is wide open with 9 foot ceilings, and floating stairs that lead both up to the 2nd floor and down to the basement. So a whole lot of open space.

In the picture, the top, last 20 feet on all 3 sides are floor to ceiling glass. Rest of left and right walls has smaller windows all along. Bottom wall is also all glass. All hardwood floors currently.

What would do with this huge space given the desire to have a music system? Placement-wise, having it in front of the stair railings (to the left of the words "stairs" in the living room picture) is best from a space planning perspective. Ideally, I'd also love to pull my 1,000 album collection out of storage, have a 2.0 (or 2.1) system to play them on. Would a $5,000 budget do justice here (hoping to also upgrade my home theater so $12k budget needs to be stretched), or am I better served to buy a bunch of Sonus stuff and spread it around that space. I'm a somewhat critical listener (probably a 8/10 for the general public and a 5/10 around here) and do have preferences when it comes to speakers.

If a 2.0/2.1 system is doable, given the room what things should I consider when beginning to look at equipment? I'm not even thinking brands yet, but thinking of speaker design alternatives considering the space (omnidirectional, cocentric, electrostatic, 2.0 vs 2.1, ???). Basically, what pops into your head when you look at this space and what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for any help/advice you have,

Kipa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 3.52.48 PM.png
Views:	99
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1661281  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2853 Post(s)
Liked: 2744
For speakers the size of the space is not really important. It seems your listening distance will be fairly close so whatever speakers sound good to you would be fine.

I guess all the glass and hardwood floors might cause some issues but you won't really know until you get something in there.

Where is the HT going to go? If it's a separate room you could also use that for your more critical music listening and go with a sonos, playfi, or heos type setup for the main room.
darthray likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
With all that glass and hardwood, I would stay away from the treble-exaggerated speakers and go with the more restrained treble speakers. Wharfedale comes to mind, as does Vandersteen, and Totem. Many of the European speaker companies offer this type of sound, as well (Kef, Mission, B&W, Q Acoustics to name just a few).

As to design, I would do the following:

Set up your home theater in the living area, spending the majority of your cash on the front three and a pair of subwoofers that you can set up near-field, as end tables, perhaps ... or behind the couch.

For the rest of the house, I would look into subdividing it into areas, each with it's own set of speakers. You can do this in one of two ways, either stereo pairs or placed evenly as all mono. This is depending on if you can find a reasonable placement for stereo pairs in each area, or if that seems unworkable, then fall back to the mono plan, with speakers evenly distributed throughout.

As tempting as using in-wall or in-ceiling speakers would be for these additional speakers, I would recommend free-standing speakers, mounted to the wall. If you need small speakers, look at Gallo a'diva or Cambridge Minx, If you want a bit more bass extension, look at Totem Kin Mini, Paradigm MilenniaOnes, or NHT.

That said, using smaller speakers leaves you with a bass dilemma. Do without or augment each area with a small sub? Minx has smaller sized subs (x200, 201) that may be preferable to none.

Lots of decisions to make ..

Last edited by RayGuy; 09-14-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 2444
I would choose JTR 210 RT's

They will not need subs for music and are extremely efficient and have a waveguide for directivity to keep the sound from reflecting off of the side walls.

Incredible speakers for music.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9799 Post(s)
Liked: 6821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post
For now, the home theater system I have will suffice, but I'm excited about upgrading our music system.

I'm a somewhat critical listener (probably a 8/10 for the general public and a 5/10 around here) and do have preferences when it comes to speakers.

If a 2.0/2.1 system is doable, given the room what things should I consider when beginning to look at equipment? I'm not even thinking brands yet, but thinking of speaker design alternatives considering the space (omnidirectional, cocentric, electrostatic, 2.0 vs 2.1, ???). Basically, what pops into your head when you look at this space and what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for any help/advice you have,

Kipa
What are your speaker preferences?

And I don't mean Sonos, I mean REAL speakers for critical listening.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 bookshelf - $1448/pr: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM2/srm2.html
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower - $1998/pr: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/SRT/srt.html
Both these speakers have a number of finishes with different price points. The towers can be upgraded to the RAAL tweeter that is on the Sierra 2.

Philharmonic Audio Slims Tower - $2200/pr: http://philharmonicaudio.com/slims.html

All three of these would be absolutely amazing for stereo music. The addition of a servo-sub from Rhythmic would add the low-end omph that a 2-channel amp would have difficulty powering. I would think that these traditional box speakers would work best in your living room, as planar magnetic or electrostatic (Magnapan and Martin Logan) need much more room to play properly, and you simply don't have that in your house (mine is similar).

You haven't told us what your source or amplification is at this point, but even a 90WPC amp would drive these speakers very well; depending on your listening habits.

Now, with spending about 40% of your original $5k budget, that leaves even more $$$ for your basement home theater... lol
post #7 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
I really like the recommendation above about getting some decent Whafedale speakers..
https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?c...oducts&c2=grid

Maybe pair them with a nice SVS SB100 sub ($500) and a cheaper receiver ($200-300).

http://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000

This puts you right around $1K and then focus the remainder of your budget on the home theater room. Lots of other options out there like Elac, Ascend, etc. If this is mostly general music listening, and based on your room, I would not spend a huge part of my budget here and, instead, focus on the home theater room and ensure the room is properly treated
post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2266
That is a large space

Big space, reflective and all that jazz. Throw in an AVR and it depends on the SPL you require. If you are having a party, it will take some efficient speakers with waveguides to focus the sound and keep it from bouncing off the walls/ceiling/floors etc.

If you are just going to use the speakers in a small section of the area and don't desire house filling sound, it makes the choice a lot easier. Remember the sub is space dependent so you'll have to use multiple subs and fairly large ones if you desire HT extension at reference levels.

If you want true AVS crazy--the JBL 4722N would work That cinema speaker would rock your space with a typical AVR with no problems.

Good luck!
jjackkrash likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post

If you want true AVS crazy--the JBL 4722N would work That cinema speaker would rock your space with a typical AVR with no problems.
Very tough to beat for $1100 delivered, no tax in most places.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Very tough to beat for $1100 delivered, no tax in most places.
Guys, the OP is looking for a stereo system on the main floor in his living room. I highly doubt a pair of JBL Pro speakers will come close to passing the WAF test. So far, he has not given us ANY information (aside from budget) for his basement HT.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Guys, the OP is looking for a stereo system on the main floor in his living room. I highly doubt a pair of JBL Pro speakers will come close to passing the WAF test. So far, he has not given us ANY information (aside from budget) for his basement HT.
Its hard to tell what some women are into, maybe she's into line giant pro speakers that rock the freaking house. I personally think the 4722n's are sexy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page