NEAPOLITAN ICE CREAM: Q-Acoustics vs SVS Prime vs Wharfedale Diamond - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 184Likes

post #121 of 169 Old 02-05-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6918 Post(s)
Liked: 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by khurramtm View Post
I have a regular sedan with premium sound system and the tweeters it has are my absolute favorite. They're incredibly clear and a little forward. For e.g., I can hear every little detail of the guitar strings in Johnny Cash's Hurt.
I think that with car audio, "warmth" may not be such an attractive sound characteristic as the kind of treble clarity you're describing, which in a quiet home environment might be fatiguing over the course of several hours---in a car the music is competing with tons of engine/road noise (unless you've invested in a ton of Dynamat), and unless you have an hour long daily commute your overall exposure time to the speakers is much much shorter.

So yeah, I've been eyeing some JBL door speakers that have a +3 tweeter adjuster button, lol. Something I would never even consider at home.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 169 Old 02-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I think that with car audio, "warmth" may not be such an attractive sound characteristic as the kind of treble clarity you're describing, which in a quiet home environment might be fatiguing over the course of several hours---in a car the music is competing with tons of engine/road noise (unless you've invested in a ton of Dynamat), and unless you have an hour long daily commute your overall exposure time to the speakers is much much shorter.

So yeah, I've been eyeing some JBL door speakers that have a +3 tweeter adjuster button, lol. Something I would never even consider at home.
I've had those commutes 😊 You're right that there is ear fatigue caused by a not so warm setup.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #123 of 169 Old 02-06-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I don't think you can go wrong with either. If your usage leans more towards HT than music however, I would get the EMPs...and if it matters, an R5Bi LCR will also be about $73 less than a 3020/3090 one. <br />
<br />
There are only 2 downsides to the EMPs that I can think of: 1) They will sound thin without a decent sub, and 2) with entry-level AVRs they won't play as super loud as the QAs if you are one who likes to blast your speakers. <br />
<br />
The main advantage of the QAs will be having more midbass warmth if listening to music without a sub especially if you like a relaxed sound, and if you prefer their shape/looks over that of the EMPs. The EMPs will give you a bigger soundstage and more detail and sparkle up top, and if you need it they can be positioned much closer up against a wall without boominess.
<br />
<br />
In your experience, how would you rate the Ascend HTM200SE against the R5bi and QA's for HT with decent sub? Obviously the 200SE's cost a bit more than the other two but are sealed/front ported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 169 Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleeper242 View Post
In your experience, how would you rate the Ascend HTM200SE against the R5bi and QA's for HT with decent sub? Obviously the 200SE's cost a bit more than the other two but are sealed/front ported.
I would expect the Ascends to be flatter and more accurate. The downside of that is, during music listening they can be a bit unforgiving of less than ideal sources such as MP3 and streaming content. During HT, when using DVDs and BDs they'll sound great no doubt.

This is all based on very unreliable aural memory from many years ago, of course. I actually contacted Ascend to ask for a demo pair of CBM170s to include in this review thread, but the cost of shipping both ways was prohibitive.

I enjoyed all the Ascends I had (170s and 340s; the 200s were on loan from a friend) but to be honest, they never had quite the same "magic" to my ears that the Wharfedales do. I guess when it comes to music listening I am not so crazy about accuracy for accuracy's sake. YMMV of course.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #125 of 169 Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
I don't think you can go wrong with either. If your usage leans more towards HT than music however, I would get the EMPs...and if it matters, an R5Bi LCR will also be about $73 less than a 3020/3090 one.

There are only 2 downsides to the EMPs that I can think of: 1) They will sound thin without a decent sub, and 2) with entry-level AVRs they won't play as super loud as the QAs if you are one who likes to blast your speakers.

The main advantage of the QAs will be having more midbass warmth if listening to music without a sub especially if you like a relaxed sound, and if you prefer their shape/looks over that of the EMPs. The EMPs will give you a bigger soundstage and more detail and sparkle up top, and if you need it they can be positioned much closer up against a wall without boominess.
Zorba,thank you so much for your advice.
Yes I am going to use a decent sub (SVS sb 12)
My usage probably leans toward HT but this is my mid-life purchase, (if I live to be 110) and now that the kids are grown I'm rediscovering my love for music.
I do want to play it loud but only when the boss is gone and only when it's "that" song.
Soundstage is important I love the feeling of the sound moving through my head.
I will never know what "moves" me until I audition on my own but I feel your efforts along with many others here have at least given some direction in which to look.
Again I thank you
Zorba922 and Lp85253 like this.
post #126 of 169 Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Have been meaning to add these photos to show how the EMPTek R5Bi looks lying on its side, as a center speaker. Not bad looking at all, I must say!

(Photos taken with a flash; in normal light the speaker grilles are fully opaque.)

It's a viable option for a mismatched center if the size or plain black-box looks of the BIC FH-6 is untenable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170311_195333.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	2020457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170311_195254.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2020465  
crcostel and Laknaths like this.

post #127 of 169 Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So for LCR, how would the 3020's paired with the FH6 do? Or would it be wiser just getting 3 FH6s?

I do like a bit of top end sparkle
post #128 of 169 Old 04-02-2017, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzyy View Post
So for LCR, how would the 3020's paired with the FH6 do? Or would it be wiser just getting 3 FH6s?

For music the 3020s would be far superior if that is a decision factor.

Geoff A. J., California
post #129 of 169 Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzyy View Post

The smarter thing to do IMO is to buy a pair of Sony Core bookshelves at their current $108/pair sale price from Amazon (or $110 from Best Buy), and use the FH6 as the center since the Core center is said to be the weak link in that series just like the Pioneer AJ center. Or, if you're a sucker for the "timbre matching" unicorn, buy 2 pairs of the Core bookshelves and use one as a center, would still cost less than 3 FH6 and would probably sound better for music.

post #130 of 169 Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
The smarter thing to do IMO is to buy a pair of Sony Core bookshelves at their current $108/pair sale price from Amazon (or $110 from Best Buy), and use the FH6 as the center since the Core center is said to be the weak link in that series just like the Pioneer AJ center. Or, if you're a sucker for the "timbre matching" unicorn, buy 2 pairs of the Core bookshelves and use one as a center, would still cost less than 3 FH6 and would probably sound better for music.
I must've missed this?

Back to $218
post #131 of 169 Old 04-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
For music the 3020s would be far superior if that is a decision factor.
70% music
30% movies

Have a Dayton RS15 cube kit from DIYsound to take care of the low end.
post #132 of 169 Old 04-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
3 months with my q acoustic 3020's and they sound better every day. Totally broken in now and I couldn't be happier with them!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
gajCA, Zorba922 and Lp85253 like this.
post #133 of 169 Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I would expect the Ascends to be flatter and more accurate. The downside of that is, during music listening they can be a bit unforgiving of less than ideal sources such as MP3 and streaming content. During HT, when using DVDs and BDs they'll sound great no doubt.

This is all based on very unreliable aural memory from many years ago, of course. I actually contacted Ascend to ask for a demo pair of CBM170s to include in this review thread, but the cost of shipping both ways was prohibitive.

I enjoyed all the Ascends I had (170s and 340s; the 200s were on loan from a friend) but to be honest, they never had quite the same "magic" to my ears that the Wharfedales do. I guess when it comes to music listening I am not so crazy about accuracy for accuracy's sake. YMMV of course.
@zorba - I've been really enjoying a new pair of Q Acoustics C20s after reading yours and some other reviews online. I also picked up a pair of UB5s to try which I'm not taken with so they're heading back.

I understand you also have a pair of Sierra 1s? I find the C20s great in every domain apart from mid/low-bass and perhaps some overall clarity (but I'm comparing to my much pricier reference system...)

How to you think the C20s compare with the Sierra 1s? I'd be using them as fronts in a 20x12 den HT setup where I also find myself listening to music (kids mostly watch movies there)

Not especially budget constrained but keen to get most bang for buck under 1k in this secondary room for me - any thoughts appreciated!
post #134 of 169 Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantamug View Post
@zorba - I've been really enjoying a new pair of Q Acoustics C20s after reading yours and some other reviews online. I also picked up a pair of UB5s to try which I'm not taken with so they're heading back.

I understand you also have a pair of Sierra 1s? I find the C20s great in every domain apart from mid/low-bass and perhaps some overall clarity (but I'm comparing to my much pricier reference system...)

How to you think the C20s compare with the Sierra 1s? I'd be using them as fronts in a 20x12 den HT setup where I also find myself listening to music (kids mostly watch movies there)

Not especially budget constrained but keen to get most bang for buck under 1k in this secondary room for me - any thoughts appreciated!
No, I have never owned the Sierras---would love to hear them, but would probably be too cheap to pay for them.

Plus, from what I've read the Sierra 1 simply offers a bit more treble detail/dynamics than the 340SE and about 10-20Hz more mid-bass. I'd probably enjoy the extra mid-bass, but the extra treble IMO would only make them even less forgiving of poor recordings than the 340s.

If you have a competent subwoofer that is well-integrated, you could probably come very close to the Sierra 1 for HT usage with the Ascend 170SE, which I would expect to be a little more detailed and dynamic than the C20. For music listening, especially in 2.0, then I'd expect the Sierra 1 to be worth the extra money.

A speaker that costs about the same as the Ascend 170SE but which *MIGHT* be better for HT (based on anecdotal reading), would be the Chane A1.4 due to its leaf tweeter...if I were looking for an HT-only speaker that would be the first one I'd audition, and perhaps the Klipsch RP-150 or RP-160. The Klipsch you can order from Crutchfield and pay just $10 to ship back if you don't like them.

post #135 of 169 Old 04-23-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
No, I have never owned the Sierras---would love to hear them, but would probably be too cheap to pay for them.

Plus, from what I've read the Sierra 1 simply offers a bit more treble detail/dynamics than the 340SE and about 10-20Hz more mid-bass. I'd probably enjoy the extra mid-bass, but the extra treble IMO would only make them even less forgiving of poor recordings than the 340s.

If you have a competent subwoofer that is well-integrated, you could probably come very close to the Sierra 1 for HT usage with the Ascend 170SE, which I would expect to be a little more detailed and dynamic than the C20. For music listening, especially in 2.0, then I'd expect the Sierra 1 to be worth the extra money.

A speaker that costs about the same as the Ascend 170SE but which *MIGHT* be better for HT (based on anecdotal reading), would be the Chane A1.4 due to its leaf tweeter...if I were looking for an HT-only speaker that would be the first one I'd audition, and perhaps the Klipsch RP-150 or RP-160. The Klipsch you can order from Crutchfield and pay just $10 to ship back if you don't like them.
My mistake! Ok, that supports what I'm reading in the specs. I'm really interested in the 2.0 performance. Will give the Sierra 1s a try. Thanks!
post #136 of 169 Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
My mistake! Ok, that supports what I'm reading in the specs. I'm really interested in the 2.0 performance. Will give the Sierra 1s a try. Thanks!
Looking at the Sierra 1 frequency response chart on their site and comparing it to the Concept 20 response on page 25 of the link below indicates they are both designed for flat frequency response across their response range with no major humps or valleys that some other manufacturers dial in to get a "brighter" speaker or one with a bass emphasis in the 100hz range.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../srm1meas.html

https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview...zine-3-2016-3/

I did find my LX16s had a bit more detail than the excellent Concept 20s and they are still available for $279 each new on Amazon.

They had similar mid/low bass performance though.

I'm assuming you are running a sub which should make up for most of that I would think.

IMHO any standmount speaker requires a sub, even if it is a modest one for music, let alone HT.

Geoff A. J., California
post #137 of 169 Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 PM

Thanks Geoff, I think we're thinking along the same lines. Being a Brit (only recently living in the USA) I've never really heard Martin Logan speakers but I will try them one of these days.

I expect the Sierra 1s will sound broadly similar to the Concept 20s, just a "bit bigger" with some better bass. I do have a subwoofer in the HT room but it's not great - it fills in for the Concept 20s somewhat but not very elegantly, I'd rather not be using it when listening to music and it's not a priority to upgrade it.

I've really always been a 2.0 guy so hoping the Sierra 1s will be satisfying without the subwoofer. I'm running a pair of Mourdant Short Performance 6s towers in my music room and they'll do everything I'll ever want, but it's not exactly a fair comparison!
post #138 of 169 Old 04-28-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked: 1875
5 year warranty from a well respected brand if you like their sound

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ut-pair/1.html

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #139 of 169 Old 04-29-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks Geoff, I think we're thinking along the same lines. Being a Brit (only recently living in the USA) I've never really heard Martin Logan speakers but I will try them one of these days.

I expect the Sierra 1s will sound broadly similar to the Concept 20s, just a "bit bigger" with some better bass. I do have a subwoofer in the HT room but it's not great - it fills in for the Concept 20s somewhat but not very elegantly, I'd rather not be using it when listening to music and it's not a priority to upgrade it.

I've really always been a 2.0 guy so hoping the Sierra 1s will be satisfying without the subwoofer. I'm running a pair of Mourdant Short Performance 6s towers in my music room and they'll do everything I'll ever want, but it's not exactly a fair comparison!
Yes, without a sub the Sierra 1 would be superior, no doubt.

My main sub is a Velodyne DD15 with 1250 watts, a sealed servo and great for music.

For my LX16s I went uber cheap and bought a pair of Yamaha SW012s for less than $200 total.

They actually are perfect for music despite their small stature and price; I found that plugging the port with low density foam, (you could use a sock), helped flatten the frequency response.

Geoff A. J., California
post #140 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, without a sub the Sierra 1 would be superior, no doubt.

My main sub is a Velodyne DD15 with 1250 watts, a sealed servo and great for music.

For my LX16s I went uber cheap and bought a pair of Yamaha SW012s for less than $200 total.

They actually are perfect for music despite their small stature and price; I found that plugging the port with low density foam, (you could use a sock), helped flatten the frequency response.
Update: have had the Sierra 1s for a few days now and wow - wonderful little things! As expected, a similarly precise sound to the concept 20s, just richer and bigger with more mid-bass. Thanks for the advice!
Zorba922 likes this.
post #141 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Update: have had the Sierra 1s for a few days now and wow - wonderful little things! As expected, a similarly precise sound to the concept 20s, just richer and bigger with more mid-bass. Thanks for the advice!
If I were doing 2.0 music listening, yeah I think the extra $300 for the Sierra 1 would probably be worth it.

How do these 2 compare for treble detail/dynamics? I would expect the Sierra to win out in that department.

The midrange is where these 2 might be close, what are your impressions there? How does say, Diana Krall sound on the C20 vs on the S1?

post #142 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Excellent, so worth the $300 premium over the C20s when using a sub?

They have amazing extension for a bookshelf so an excellent choice without a sub it would seem.

Geoff A. J., California
post #143 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
If I were doing 2.0 music listening, yeah I think the extra $300 for the Sierra 1 would probably be worth it.

How do these 2 compare for treble detail/dynamics? I would expect the Sierra to win out in that department.

The midrange is where these 2 might be close, what are your impressions there? How does say, Diana Krall sound on the C20 vs on the S1?
I find the treble on the S1s to be slightly preferable - it's maybe a little less bright than the C20s, but just as detailed - overall though, the S1s have noticeably better stereo imaging so this really does it for me. Mid-range and bass definitely go to the S1s. When I first fired up the C20s I was kind of amazed to hear such a "big sound" coming of a tiny package. The Seirra 1s (which are noticeably bigger than the C20s!) do this and then some. In 2.0 mode, Diana Krall sounds great on the S1s, the vocals are comparable to the C20s but with the better bass + imaging, the instruments and music as a whole takes on that elusive "3D" quality that the C20s never managed to achieve for me.
post #144 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Excellent, so worth the $300 premium over the C20s when using a sub?

They have amazing extension for a bookshelf so an excellent choice without a sub it would seem.
Yes, for me, if was a choice of C20s + sub vs S1s alone, then definitely S1s.

They still seem to benefit from a sub for some music (and HT use) but as I mentioned in my reply to Zorba - just as with the C20s, their size belies their abilities. It really is freakish to hear such a big sound coming out of a tiny package. I'm actually going to give the basic L12 Rythmik sub a try - I'm impressed by what the Ascend Acoustics folks have done with the S1, and I'm inclined to give weight to their recommendations.

As an aside, I'd still highly recommend the C20s to almost anyone - apart from the great sound, the big advantage I see in them is smart looks and a compact package. The S1s sound great but do look a little goofy mounted on my wall. But if the extra size and ~$300 aren't an issue, the S1s are well worth it.
post #145 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:

The other thing I'd add is low-volume listening. The S1s seem to do a much better job of making music sound enjoyable at background levels if i'm working while listening to something. The C20s sounded a little thin / distant to me unless they were at "i will now listen to some music" levels.
post #146 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoseph View Post
Zorba,thank you so much for your advice.
Yes I am going to use a decent sub (SVS sb 12)
My usage probably leans toward HT but this is my mid-life purchase, (if I live to be 110) and now that the kids are grown I'm rediscovering my love for music.
I do want to play it loud but only when the boss is gone and only when it's "that" song.
Soundstage is important I love the feeling of the sound moving through my head.
I will never know what "moves" me until I audition on my own but I feel your efforts along with many others here have at least given some direction in which to look.
Again I thank you
AverageJoseph, I'm also dreaming about my mid-life purchase. "I lost my license so now I don't drive" - that sort of puts the Shelby Mustang out of contention as the solution for my mid-life crisis. I understand the urge and enjoyment of upgrading music systems. I'm glad to hear that in addition to your thorough reading of reviews you understand the need to audition speakers to see what "moves you." At the mid-life stage there are a number of factors that can contribute to your own preferences. In my case, a decade of competition quality car audio and long commutes (followed by another decade of tinnitus), leads me to think that I need somewhat brighter speakers in order for me to appreciate the details in music tracks. Translated that means my slightly worn ears are already forgiving to poorly recorded tracks, so I don't need speakers to be extra forgiving. If you are in a similar situation, you may need to audition so you can recalibrate your tastes from a few decades ago.

Since soundstage is important to you, you might want to check out the "K" series by Epos. They are a bit pricier than the quality speakers that have been discussed here, but I have seen demos at 50% off. I remember K1s as providing a deep soundstage with well-defined imaging. They also have that "fun" factor that doesn't show in specs and charts - sort of like the Wharfedale Diamonds. I believe the K series is Epos's first without an aluminum dome tweeter. It's been I while since I auditioned them, but as I recall the tweeter's voicing may offer a compromise for who enjoy metal domes, but want something slightly less aggressive. From that demo (mostly compared to Focus Chorus series). Although they are not for everyone, these Epos have remained near the top of my B&M wish list since I heard them.

I have owned the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s. There is a reason that people rave about them. They are truly "fun." If it were not for the wear & tear on my ears and my current desire for somewhat brighter speakers, I would still own them. Recently, "demo" pairs of 10.1s have been an exceptional value around the $200 mark. I thought the 10.1s were more than sufficient in the 2.0 format. However, in my room they really shined when the crossover was set to 60hz. I think I lost some of the "fun" upper bass when I set the crossover to 80hz.

Enjoy the adventure!

Zorba - thanks for your effort you put into your reviews. If you ever get the chance to listen to the K1s, it would be great to hear your opinion.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #147 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I find the treble on the S1s to be slightly preferable - it's maybe a little less bright than the C20s, but just as detailed - overall though, the S1s have noticeably better stereo imaging so this really does it for me. Mid-range and bass definitely go to the S1s. When I first fired up the C20s I was kind of amazed to hear such a "big sound" coming of a tiny package. The Seirra 1s (which are noticeably bigger than the C20s!) do this and then some. In 2.0 mode, Diana Krall sounds great on the S1s, the vocals are comparable to the C20s but with the better bass + imaging, the instruments and music as a whole takes on that elusive "3D" quality that the C20s never managed to achieve for me.
Huh, I'm a little surprised to read that...had read some folks saying the non-RAAL tweeters on the Sierras ran "hot." Didn't find the C20s as "bright," though...in fact I thought they were slightly subdued...not rolled-off, but very controlled. Differing room acoustics and individual tastes probably.

Quote:
The other thing I'd add is low-volume listening. The S1s seem to do a much better job of making music sound enjoyable at background levels if i'm working while listening to something. The C20s sounded a little thin / distant to me unless they were at "i will now listen to some music" levels.
This I can totally imagine...wasn't crazy about the QAs at low volumes either.

I think I am going to have to go back to the Ascend forum (haven't used it in years, wonder if my account is still there) and see if I can find a Sierra owner within driving distance!
audiofreak38 and bantamug like this.

post #148 of 169 Old 05-06-2017, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Quote:
I find the treble on the S1s to be slightly preferable - it's maybe a little less bright than the C20s, but just as detailed - overall though, the S1s have noticeably better stereo imaging so this really does it for me.
as you stated there should be no real bright or hot treble -- they have good measurements from SoundStage.
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/mea...scend_sierra1/

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 05-06-2017 at 06:29 PM.
post #149 of 169 Old 05-07-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Huh, I'm a little surprised to read that...had read some folks saying the non-RAAL tweeters on the Sierras ran "hot." Didn't find the C20s as "bright," though...in fact I thought they were slightly subdued...not rolled-off, but very controlled. Differing room acoustics and individual tastes probably.
I expect so, my "reference speakers" are Mordaunt Short Performance 6s which I brought over from the UK. They have an amazing tweeter and an overall sound I find very natural, with great imaging. By comparison, the C20s were a little "brighter" and the S1s were closer to the Mordaunt Short sound I like. If I wasn't concerned about "unexpected child interactions" I'd rearrange my HT room a bit and bring the Mourdaunt Short's up. Alas, not currently an option!
post #150 of 169 Old 05-07-2017, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If I wasn't concerned about "unexpected child interactions" I'd rearrange my HT room a bit and bring the Mourdaunt Short's up. Alas, not currently an option!
ah, if you have a kid to worry about, I would look at the Ascend 340SE with the OEM stands which are sand-fillable to +100lbs...they'd be virtually bulletproof plus the drivers would be safely 26" above the ground, safe from little hands. And you might be happy with the Ascend's clarity and room-filling sensitivity...albeit the cabinets are not as attractive as the Klipsch, but it saves you a couple hundred bucks over the RP towers.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html
$680 shipped with OEM stands.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page