**Official Hsu Research Speaker Owner/Support Thread** - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #271 of 302 Old 04-14-2019, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Dr. Hsu gave me permission to share this (I'm sorry, but I was not allowed to get better pics). From Axpona, new prototype dual-opposed 15 [sitting next to ULS-15].
Nice! Always the innovator, leading the way at bringing high value products to market. I carry a high level of respect for Dr Hsu.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 302 Old 12-04-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody compared def tech center speaker like CS-8040 equivalent vs HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel in person?

I am wonder if I go from CS-8040 to HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel, is it going to be upgrade or downgrade?

AVR-X6300H with DefTech BP8060 system and HSU sub
Panasonic 60in Plasma and BenQ HT5550
post #273 of 302 Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 621
How would one describe the sound signature of the CCB-8s? Bright, Neutral or Warm? And are there any FR Graphs anywhere?

Edit: The sensitivity of these seems to suggest they're on the bright side of the scale.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 12-04-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 302 Old 12-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuimyt View Post
Has anybody compared def tech center speaker like CS-8040 equivalent vs HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel in person?

I am wonder if I go from CS-8040 to HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel, is it going to be upgrade or downgrade?
What are your L & R speakers? Personally I'd always recommend matching them as closely as possible.
I run the HB-1 v2 with the HC-1 v2 and have been very happy with them for 3 years now.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #275 of 302 Old 12-05-2019, 06:54 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2413 Post(s)
Liked: 3778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
How would one describe the sound signature of the CCB-8s? Bright, Neutral or Warm? And are there any FR Graphs anywhere?

Edit: The sensitivity of these seems to suggest they're on the bright side of the scale.
For one mans opinion you can check out my review at this link. Unfortunately all the images were stripped out when they switched forum software so the review looks a little odd. If you're comfortable PMing me an email address I can send you a Word doc of the original article.
Ryan Statz likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite

Last edited by JimWilson; 12-05-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #276 of 302 Old 12-05-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I've had them for almost a year. They're neutral and transparent, and will telegraph accurately whatever the recording quality is. Top end isn't quite as refined as more expensive speakers but the CCB-8s aren't bright. Soundstaging is huge, extending beyond speaker boundaries. Imaging is holographic and pinpoint. Sweetspot is also huge. But this is only provided you follow Hsu's set-up instructions: put them on 36" stands, and toe them in extremely so the L/R axis crosses a couple feet in front of the MLP. This is because the CCB-8s are designed to be flat 15 deg off axis. They exploit an acoustic principle called time-intensity trading that expands the sweet spot dramatically. I can sit at the end of my long sofa, away from the MLP, directly in front of one speaker, and still hear a solid, stereo image that's centered between the speakers. The image doesn't collapse to the nearest speaker to you. In my set up this works within about a 7-ft wide sweetspot. It's quite addictive, and means I haven't needed a center channel because dialog remains centered. Here's an Audioholics review with measurements:

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/ccb-8-bookshelf

I'm using them with an old PS Audio PCA-2 pre-amp, Bryston 4B ST amp, and Canare 4s11 speaker cables.
Ryan Statz likes this.

Last edited by larry500; 12-05-2019 at 04:56 PM.
post #277 of 302 Old 12-05-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
For one mans opinion you can check out my review at this link. Unfortunately all the images were stripped out when they switched forum software so the review looks a little odd. If you're comfortable PMing me an email address I can send you a Word doc of the original article.
Nice review. Mirrors my experience. When I discovered the CCB-8s I viewed a mixed youtube review where the reviewer had them pointed straight ahead, completely ignoring Hsu's set-up recommendations. And I read lots of hearsay comments that they were "bright" and only suited to movies. Not in my experience. They're excellent for both music and movies. On a blu-ray of Mahler's 3rd Symphony (cond by Abbado with the Lucerne Festival Orch) the hall ambience, orchestral imaging, layering, and instrumental color are realistically rendered. On opera recordings and blu-rays voices are palpable and move with precision across the soundstage. The Talking Heads' blu-ray of Stop Making Sense and Roy Orbison's blu-ray Black & White Night likewise shine. I rewatched the Terminator 2 blu ray the other night. The CCB-8s rendered the mental-hospital attack-and-escape scene with a cavernous soundstage, spectacular pinpoint imaging, and effortless dynamic range (from the music scoring to the echoey ambience of the hospital hallways to the clanging of metal cell bars to gun fire to the liquid-terminator sound FX). And this is just with two CCB-8s and a sub.
Ryan Statz likes this.

Last edited by larry500; 12-05-2019 at 09:02 PM.
post #278 of 302 Old 12-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry500 View Post
Nice review. Mirrors my experience. When I discovered the CCB-8s I read lots of hearsay comments that they were "bright" and only suited to movies. Not in my experience. They're excellent for both music and movies.
Agreed. Part of the Conclusion section in my article said "They do require some discipline with regards to placement and aiming, but with that taken care of you are rewarded with outstanding sound quality from something that's simply too small to be this full and rich". Spend a little time with setup and they deliver a surprising result.
Ryan Statz and Rgarc like this.

post #279 of 302 Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Agreed. Part of the Conclusion section in my article said "They do require some discipline with regards to placement and aiming, but with that taken care of you are rewarded with outstanding sound quality from something that's simply too small to be this full and rich". Spend a little time with setup and they deliver a surprising result.
Jim,

Your reviews are going to end up costing me some money. Based on your review and our PM's I decided to upgrade my HT to an RSL CG5 5.1.2 setup. I used that as excuse to upgrade my AVR as well. I want to repurpose my old AVR to build a 2 channel turnable system and I'm thinking that the CCB-8's would be ideal for this. Not sure if my office large enough to properly place them in the space which is 10x16x8
post #280 of 302 Old 12-06-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Quote:
I've had them for almost a year. They're neutral and transparent, and will telegraph accurately whatever the recording quality is. Top end isn't quite as refined as more expensive speakers but the CCB-8s aren't bright. Soundstaging is huge, extending beyond speaker boundaries. Imaging is holographic and pinpoint. Sweetspot is also huge. But this is only provided you follow Hsu's set-up instructions: put them on 36" stands, and toe them in extremely so the L/R axis crosses a couple feet in front of the MLP. This is because the CCB-8s are designed to be flat 15 deg off axis. They exploit an acoustic principle called time-intensity trading that expands the sweet spot dramatically. I can sit at the end of my long sofa, away from the MLP, directly in front of one speaker, and still hear a solid, stereo image that's centered between the speakers. The image doesn't collapse to the nearest speaker to you. In my set up this works within about a 7-ft wide sweetspot. It's quite addictive, and means I haven't needed a center channel because dialog remains centered. Here's an Audioholics review with measurements:

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshel...cb-8-bookshelf

I'm using them with an old PS Audio PCA-2 pre-amp, Bryston 4B ST amp, and Canare 4s11 speaker cables.
Quote:
Nice review. Mirrors my experience. When I discovered the CCB-8s I viewed a mixed youtube review where the reviewer had them pointed straight ahead, completely ignoring Hsu's set-up recommendations. And I read lots of hearsay comments that they were "bright" and only suited to movies. Not in my experience. They're excellent for both music and movies. On a blu-ray of Mahler's 3rd Symphony (cond by Abbado with the Lucerne Festival Orch) the hall ambience, orchestral imaging, layering, and instrumental color are realistically rendered. On opera recordings and blu-rays voices are palpable and move with precision across the soundstage. The Talking Heads' blu-ray of Stop Making Sense and Roy Orbison's blu-ray Black & White Night likewise shine. I rewatched the Terminator 2 blu ray the other night. The CCB-8s rendered the mental-hospital attack-and-escape scene with a cavernous soundstage, spectacular pinpoint imaging, and effortless dynamic range (from the music scoring to the echoey ambience of the hospital hallways to the clanging of metal cell bars to gun fire to the liquid-terminator sound FX). And this is just with two CCB-8s and a sub.
Quote:
Thanks for all of this - I am not exactly in the market for new speakers at this time, but I do know that when that time eventually comes, it'll likely be from an ID company. I got a ULS-15 a few months ago, and it's phenomenal. I would consider HSU for speakers just to have HSU across the entire board. I am fascinated by the CCB-8s because of the concentric woofer design (I did get a pair of KEF Q150s for a music area I'm procrastinating on setting up). I would even be curious about HSU's HB/HC-1s (the price points on those are pretty good, even as a non-American).

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #281 of 302 Old 12-06-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I'm using the HB1 HC1 in my home theater and I love them. They have a fantastic soundstage. Using an Outlaw LFM1+ sub (Hsu design).
I also have HB1s here in my office, with the Outlaw M8 sub.
post #282 of 302 Old 12-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would even be curious about HSU's HB/HC-1s (the price points on those are pretty good, even as a non-American).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I'm using the HB1 HC1 in my home theater and I love them. They have a fantastic soundstage. Using an Outlaw LFM1+ sub (Hsu design).
I also have HB1s here in my office, with the Outlaw M8 sub.

I agree completely. I've had 4 HB1v2 and a HC1v2 center w/ 2 HSU STF=2 subs in my system for over 3 years now and continue to love them. I don't think you can beat the sound at 2-3 times the price. I've also done business with Dr Hsu since his earliest products in 1990 and you can't ask for a better more honorable man/company to do business with.

post #283 of 302 Old 12-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
Jim,

Your reviews are going to end up costing me some money. Based on your review and our PM's I decided to upgrade my HT to an RSL CG5 5.1.2 setup. I used that as excuse to upgrade my AVR as well. I want to repurpose my old AVR to build a 2 channel turnable system and I'm thinking that the CCB-8's would be ideal for this. Not sure if my office large enough to properly place them in the space which is 10x16x8
I've been told before that I cost people money, but provided they end up satisfied with what they bought I take it as a compliment.

When you say office are you talking near filed placement? I never tried them in that configuration so I can't say with any certainty whether that is a good application. It may be, I just don't know from personal experience.

post #284 of 302 Old 01-21-2020, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not a technical or support question, but I'm wondering if there is anyone in NJ willing to demo a HSU setup for me? Specifically, the HB-1 MK2 pair & HC-1 MK2. TIA.
post #285 of 302 Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 73
CCB-8 Speakers

I have read several reviews on the CCB-8. All reviewers love this speaker. I am very new to full surround sound. I have a Denon X-3500 7.1 receiver, two 10-year-old Ascend Sierra-1 mains, ELAC Debut 6.2 Center, and two ELAC Debut 6.2 surrounds. Got the ELACs very cheap at the end of December. Have a Rythmik L12 sub arriving tomorrow. Most of my listening is music but movies are important.

My room is 15x21x8'. It's certainly not perfect but it's all I have to work with. There are open areas. It's not a closed room.

Would a center speaker change from the ELAC to a CCB-8 make much difference or does the magic only occur if all three front speakers are CCB-8?

Right now I seem to get little from the rear surrounds. It that typical or do I just need to tweak more? I have the surrounds at +5db.

I watched Avengers Infinity War tonight. The sound was okay. The wife was not impressed. I'm not sure if better speakers will make up for a room with poor acoustics.

The bar that is set is a friend has a $50k HT room he built years ago in his attic. About 600 sq. ft., maybe more. We go over there a lot. His speakers are Ascend 340s and a HSU sub. The Denon receiver at the time was top of the line. The killer is the room be built. It's perfect for surround. Acoustics are fantastic. I do not expect to meet what he has but I would like to better what I have. I know the sub will help. Just not sure the ELAC center speaker is good enough since it gets most of the work.

Open to suggestions. Budget is $1000 for upgrades.

Thanks...Alan
post #286 of 302 Old 01-23-2020, 06:38 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
Would a center speaker change from the ELAC to a CCB-8 make much difference or does the magic only occur if all three front speakers are CCB-8?
Yes, it would make a difference. But it may not be a good difference...

The front 3 speakers really need to be 'voice matched' in order to get a proper balance. Since you're having audible issues now it might be you're particularly sensitive to the variation in your LCR's, the most critical speakers in any HT system. Some of the disparity could also be in how they're tuned and/or aimed. Is the center pointed directly at the listeners? Is it back against a wall with a lot of cabinet underneath it? Did you run your receivers auto-EQ system?

Quote:
Right now I seem to get little from the rear surrounds. It that typical or do I just need to tweak more? I have the surrounds at +5db.
Surrounds do very little, suppling mostly ambience and depth. It's not uncommon for them to provide limited output.

Quote:
The bar that is set is a friend has a $50k HT room he built years ago in his attic. Open to suggestions. Budget is $1000 for upgrades.
I would caution against comparing your system to a $50k system. Money spent does not always equal gains - for example, a $5k system is not 1/10th as good as a $50k system - but using his HT as a reference the expectations on what your system should do may get skewed. Try having your front 3 speakers match, do some aiming and tuning, run the room EQ and maybe that will address your concerns.

post #287 of 302 Old 01-23-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, it would make a difference. But it may not be a good difference...

The front 3 speakers really need to be 'voice matched' in order to get a proper balance. Since you're having audible issues now it might be you're particularly sensitive to the variation in your LCR's, the most critical speakers in any HT system. Some of the disparity could also be in how they're tuned and/or aimed. Is the center pointed directly at the listeners? Is it back against a wall with a lot of cabinet underneath it? Did you run your receivers auto-EQ system?

Surrounds do very little, suppling mostly ambience and depth. It's not uncommon for them to provide limited output.

I would caution against comparing your system to a $50k system. Money spent does not always equal gains - for example, a $5k system is not 1/10th as good as a $50k system - but using his HT as a reference the expectations on what your system should do may get skewed. Try having your front 3 speakers match, do some aiming and tuning, run the room EQ and maybe that will address your concerns.
Jim, thank you very much for your comments. The center is directly in front and about 6" from the wall. It does not have rear ports. Audyssey has been run. I did move the surrounds in closer and that has helped a lot. I will be re-running Audyssey later today when the new sub arrives.

I'm not comparing my setup to my friend's setup but I think my wife is unintentionally.

My Sierra 1s have been good but I wonder how much technology has changed in ten years. In a head-to-head match-up, do you think the CCB-8 is better than the Sierra-1? I know you might can't answer this.

I paid $900 when I bought my Sierra-1s. They now list for $678. A single Sierra-1 is $458. The Ascend CMT-340 SE Center is $298. It is matched to the Sierra-1s. Ascend also has much more expensive center speakers. The Sierra Horizon center is $1100. I could buy three CCB-8s for that amount.

Again, thanks for your response.

Alan
post #288 of 302 Old 01-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Jim, thank you very much for your comments. The center is directly in front and about 6" from the wall. It does not have rear ports. Audyssey has been run. I did move the surrounds in closer and that has helped a lot. I will be re-running Audyssey later today when the new sub arrives.
Would you be able to post a picture by chance? We may be able to spot something. For example, the center might be directly in front but at a low height and pointing more towards your knees than your head. That would wreak havoc on voice intelligibility.

Quote:
I'm not comparing my setup to my friend's setup but I think my wife is unintentionally.
There's a potential opportunity here: "but honey, I would need to spend $5,000 to equal his system. maybe we should?"

Quote:
My Sierra 1s have been good but I wonder how much technology has changed in ten years. In a head-to-head match-up, do you think the CCB-8 is better than the Sierra-1? I know you might can't answer this.
Audio has definitely gotten better in the past decade, but those Sierra's seem to be pretty nice speakers from all the accounts I've read. I haven't heard them personally though. I'm sure the Sierra 2 is better, the question is how much better (as in would you hear a difference).

Quote:
I could buy three CCB-8s for that amount.
The CCB-8 is a very nice speaker. Provided the owner takes some time to position and tune them they offer a rather remarkable sound. I can't say for certain if they would fit your needs, but it sounds like you're in the mood for a change. If so you should strongly consider them.

post #289 of 302 Old 01-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Would you be able to post a picture by chance? We may be able to spot something. For example, the center might be directly in front but at a low height and pointing more towards your knees than your head. That would wreak havoc on voice intelligibility.

There's a potential opportunity here: "but honey, I would need to spend $5,000 to equal his system. maybe we should?"

Audio has definitely gotten better in the past decade, but those Sierra's seem to be pretty nice speakers from all the accounts I've read. I haven't heard them personally though. I'm sure the Sierra 2 is better, the question is how much better (as in would you hear a difference).

The CCB-8 is a very nice speaker. Provided the owner takes some time to position and tune them they offer a rather remarkable sound. I can't say for certain if they would fit your needs, but it sounds like you're in the mood for a change. If so you should strongly consider them.
Thank you. I wish I had $5k for new stuff!

The center speaker is low. It is pointing at my knees. The TV is sitting on top of it (out of convenience).

Dialog is not bad. My thoughts are since it is getting the vast majority of the work, maybe an upgrade is due.

I was going to insert an image, but when I do, all I get is a pop-up asking for a link.

The Sierra-1s are good. The ELAC center seems to blend okay, at least to my ears.

Alan
post #290 of 302 Old 01-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
The center speaker is low. It is pointing at my knees. The TV is sitting on top of it (out of convenience).
Houston we have a problem. Before considering a new center you should rectify that. Even tilting it up at an angle would help.

Quote:
I was going to insert an image, but when I do, all I get is a pop-up asking for a link.
You can host pictures on postimage (postimage dot org) and they will give you a link. Sorry for the odd description but AVS suddenly considers them "inappropriate content".

post #291 of 302 Old 01-24-2020, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Houston we have a problem. Before considering a new center you should rectify that. Even tilting it up at an angle would help.

You can host pictures on postimage (postimage dot org) and they will give you a link. Sorry for the odd description but AVS suddenly considers them "inappropriate content".
Thanks for all your assistance Jim. Angling the center speaker up is definitely on my list.

Hooked up the new Rythmik L12 sub yesterday. Watched Avengers Endgame. Wow! Everything sounded fantastic. My wife was loving it and wanted to hear Ironman after the movie was over.

The sub is set to music yet the sound effects were more than enough for me. Can't imagine needing a more powerful sub.

I'm sure more expensive speakers would result in better sound but I'm not sure my ageing hearing would know the difference with movies.

For now, I am content with my mains and center and may just look at getting some up-firing Atmos speakers.

By the way, I very much enjoy your speaker reviews.

Alan
JimWilson likes this.
post #292 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
I have read several reviews on the CCB-8. All reviewers love this speaker. I am very new to full surround sound. I have a Denon X-3500 7.1 receiver, two 10-year-old Ascend Sierra-1 mains, ELAC Debut 6.2 Center, and two ELAC Debut 6.2 surrounds. Got the ELACs very cheap at the end of December. Have a Rythmik L12 sub arriving tomorrow. Most of my listening is music but movies are important.

My room is 15x21x8'. It's certainly not perfect but it's all I have to work with. There are open areas. It's not a closed room.

I watched Avengers Infinity War tonight. The sound was okay. The wife was not impressed. I'm not sure if better speakers will make up for a room with poor acoustics.

The bar that is set is a friend has a $50k HT room he built years ago in his attic. About 600 sq. ft., maybe more. We go over there a lot. His speakers are Ascend 340s and a HSU sub. The Denon receiver at the time was top of the line. The killer is the room be built. It's perfect for surround. Acoustics are fantastic. I do not expect to meet what he has but I would like to better what I have. I know the sub will help. Just not sure the ELAC center speaker is good enough since it gets most of the work.

Open to suggestions. Budget is $1000 for upgrades.

Thanks...Alan
The CCB8 would be a big step up from the ELACs. If you go that route it would be advantageous to do the front 3. My living room is similar to yours in size 15 * 20 with openings to other areas (not open floor plan) but still entrances without doors. I’ve got 3 CCB8 as LCR and they create a huge soundstage, just a wall of sound for movies.
Crystal clear dialogue. Great for music. Revealing but not bright. The sub is going to be your rate limiting factor in that room. I’m running a PSA S3010 with the CCB8s and that combo makes surrounds almost obsolete. A tsunami of sound coming from the front 3 and clean bass that makes you vibrate is the core foundation of a good system. The rest is fun and all. But I’d take a killer 3.1 vs a a blah 5.1/7.1/atmos.

Epson 5040 UB ; 120 inch Elite Cinewhite 1.1 gain 16:9
XBOX One S ; Denon X3300W
(4) KEF Q100 ; Q200C ; (2) SVS Prime Elevation ; HSU VTF3 MK3 (5.1.2)
post #293 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 07:07 AM

But you are on the right path. The L12 isn’t a slouch if a sub. And it will improve any system it’s put into. Free up the AVR, fill in the lower octave and allow whichever speakers you get to open up. But given your underwhelming experience so far it would make sense to get into a more efficient speaker, which the CCB8 accomplishes.

post #294 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category5 View Post
The CCB8 would be a big step up from the ELACs. If you go that route it would be advantageous to do the front 3. My living room is similar to yours in size 15 * 20 with openings to other areas (not open floor plan) but still entrances without doors. I’ve got 3 CCB8 as LCR and they create a huge soundstage, just a wall of sound for movies.
Crystal clear dialogue. Great for music. Revealing but not bright. The sub is going to be your rate limiting factor in that room. I’m running a PSA S3010 with the CCB8s and that combo makes surrounds almost obsolete. A tsunami of sound coming from the front 3 and clean bass that makes you vibrate is the core foundation of a good system. The rest is fun and all. But I’d take a killer 3.1 vs a a blah 5.1/7.1/atmos.
Agree with everything you said about the CCB-8s. I get a similar huge soundstage using Hsu's recommended extreme toe-in from just two L/R and a sub. I'd get a center if I needed center-image stability for a larger movie-night audience than I typically entertain. Interestingly, though a completely different design (constant directivity), the CCB-8s--if set up correctly--soundstage wall-to-wall like my old (now fried) "omnipolar", quasi-omnidirectional Mirage OMD-15s did. And at 1/3 the price of the Mirages.
post #295 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The CCB8 would be a big step up from the ELACs. If you go that route it would be advantageous to do the front 3. My living room is similar to yours in size 15 * 20 with openings to other areas (not open floor plan) but still entrances without doors. I’️ve got 3 CCB8 as LCR and they create a huge soundstage, just a wall of sound for movies.
Crystal clear dialogue. Great for music. Revealing but not bright. The sub is going to be your rate limiting factor in that room. I’️m running a PSA S3010 with the CCB8s and that combo makes surrounds almost obsolete. A tsunami of sound coming from the front 3 and clean bass that makes you vibrate is the core foundation of a good system. The rest is fun and all. But I’️d take a killer 3.1 vs a a blah 5.1/7.1/atmos.
Agree with everything you said about the CCB-8s. I get a similar huge soundstage using Hsu's recommended extreme toe-in from just two L/R and a sub. I'd get a center if I needed center-image stability for a larger movie-night audience than I typically entertain. Interestingly, though a completely different design (constant directivity), the CCB-8s--if set up correctly--soundstage wall-to-wall like my old (now fried) "omnipolar", quasi-omnidirectional Mirage OMD-15s did. And at 1/3 the price of the Mirages.
I do quite a bit of 2 channel music listening on the rig and it’s great. I have them about 13-14 feet apart. And they throw up a big soundstage. Plus they sound good across the whole width of the room. Any time I read about the toe in it makes me chuckle a bit because it costs nothing and its very easy to rotate a speaker.

post #296 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you for commenting. I read a lot about speaker fatigue. My Sierra-1s are pretty good for music and I can listen for a couple of hours and not have an issue. Today, just for fun, I compared my ELAC Debut 6.2 bookshelf speakers to the Ascends. Yes, big price difference. At the same volume, I could not listen to the ELACs for more than a few minutes before my ears started hurting. I have sensitive ears but this was surprising. My maximum listening volume for music is around 50 on my Denon X-3500. Of course this might be lower depending on the song. I never listen to really high volumes. Right now, I am hooked on Americana music via Spotify, particularly female groups.

Wonder how the CCB-8s compare to the Sierra-1s overall when it comes to music?

Going to sell some camera equipment and have ~$1200 overall for speakers. Right now it's either upgrading my Sierra-1s to Sierra-2EXs (about $1100) or get something like the CCB-8s and keep the Sierra-1s.

Alan

Last edited by ahender; 01-25-2020 at 03:23 PM.
post #297 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you for commenting. I read a lot about speaker fatigue. My Sierra-1s are pretty good for music and I can listen for a couple of hours and not have an issue. Today, just for fun, I compared my ELAC Debut 6.2 bookshelf speakers to the Ascends. Yes, big price difference. At the same volume, I could not listen to the ELACs for more than a few minutes before my ears started hurting. I have sensitive ears but this was surprising. My maximum listening volume for music is around 50 on my Denon X-3500. Of course this might be lower depending on the song. I never listen to really high volumes. Right now, I am hooked on Americana music via Spotify, particularly female groups.

Wonder how the CCB-8s compare to the Sierra-1s overall when it comes to music?

Going to sell some camera equipment and have ~$1200 overall for speakers. Right now it's either upgrading my Sierra-1s to Sierra-2EXs (about $1100) or get something like the CCB-8s and keep the Sierra-1s.

Alan
Ive never heard the Sierra's but I have heard the ELAC 6.2's. I recall them being on the more warmer laid back side. I liked them. But it was a short session. The Sierra's are universally well regarded. Both are 87db sensitivity. For a mixed usage setup, still think you would be very impressed with the CCB8's. I like to listen a little bit louder than you. Tho Its questionable whether you need the extra volume headroom you'd get from the CCB8. The sierra/debut's are a different beast than the CCB8's. The sierra's are trying to be more of a full range bookshelf, 5.25 mid rated down to 39hz vs the CCB8 as an 8in mid rated down to 50hz. Higher sensitivity, more impact, less extension. Now that you have the sub tho you can really tap into the capability. I find them to be incredibly life like on well recorded vocals with great imaging and soundstage. Tho if you found the ELAC's fatiguing you might find the CCB8 too forward.

post #298 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ive never heard the Sierra's but I have heard the ELAC 6.2's. I recall them being on the more warmer laid back side. I liked them. But it was a short session. The Sierra's are universally well regarded. Both are 87db sensitivity. For a mixed usage setup, still think you would be very impressed with the CCB8's. I like to listen a little bit louder than you. Tho Its questionable whether you need the extra volume headroom you'd get from the CCB8. The sierra/debut's are a different beast than the CCB8's. The sierra's are trying to be more of a full range bookshelf, 5.25 mid rated down to 39hz vs the CCB8 as an 8in mid rated down to 50hz. Higher sensitivity, more impact, less extension. Now that you have the sub tho you can really tap into the capability. I find them to be incredibly life like on well recorded vocals with great imaging and soundstage. Tho if you found the ELAC's fatiguing you might find the CCB8 too forward.
Thank you. The ELAC 6.2s, without making any setting changes, just seemed really bright and lacking bass, which is quite different from your description.

The big question I have regarding the CCB-8s is how far from the back wall do you have these placed. HSU support recommends a minimum 3 feet, but this was not 'required'. I read one AVS user say his really performed the best when they were placed 7 feet from the back wall. For me, 2-1/2', with my current room configuration, is about where I would place them. I would hate to think this would limit their potential.

Alan
post #299 of 302 Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 PM

I have them right against wall in the front corners of my living room. The center channel is about 6 inches from the front wall under the TV.

post #300 of 302 Old 01-26-2020, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromplasmato View Post
Not a technical or support question, but I'm wondering if there is anyone in NJ willing to demo a HSU setup for me? Specifically, the HB-1 MK2 pair & HC-1 MK2. TIA.
If you’re willing to travel to Bucks Co. PA, I have a 5xCCB-8 with VTF-3 Mk5 going. I’m not nearly the audiophile that many in here are, but I do absolutely love what these speakers do in the space I’ve got them setup in. PM me if interested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Denon x4200w, Hsu CCB-8 (L/C/R/SL/SR), Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP
V: Vizio P65-C1, Xbox One X
Pic of above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page