**Official Hsu Research Speaker Owner/Support Thread** - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes

post #1 of 302 Old 10-09-2016, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 366
**Official Hsu Research Speaker Owner/Support Thread** New Speaker Info

Hello everyone,

This has been a long time in the making but we finally got around to starting an official thread for our speaker lineup! Please feel free to post any questions/feedback concerning our speakers. We would love to hear back from you guys. Below you will find some brief info about our HB-1 Mk2's and our new speaker introduced at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2016.

HB-1 Mk2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

Hsu Research is proud to introduce the second generation HB-1. The second generation (MK2) HB-1 boasts flatter frequency response, improved horn, and more powerful Neodymium magnet for the tweeter, and greatly improved looks - expensive real wood finish or custom satin black paint, much better finishes than most of our competitors. The HB-1 MK2 is both efficient and high power handling. It provides effortless dynamics to handle high definition audio programs and home theater. The 6 1/2-inch woofers in the HB-1 MK2 have excellent damping properties, which reproduce upper-bass frequencies with utmost accuracy. This is keeping with Dr. Hsu's tradition of designing transient-accurate subwoofers, and allows the HB-1 MK2 to integrate seamlessly with any Hsu Research subwoofer. The HB-1 MK2 was designed specifically to work best in systems using subwoofers.

Specifications:
Frequency response - 60 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 2 dB
Sensitivity - 92 dB @ 1m Half Space
Recommended Amplifier Power - 10-250 Watt RMS Per Channel
Woofer - 6 1/2 Inch
Impedance - Nominal 6 Ohm, Min 4 Ohm
Enclosure Type - Vented, 3/4" MDF
Enclosure Dimensions - 15 3/8” H x 8” W x 8” D, With Grille: 15 3/8" H x 8" W x 8 5/8" D
Weight - 14 lbs

Warranty - 7 years on the drivers

Price - $159 for Smooth Painted Satin Black Finish [$189 for Real Wood Veneer, Rosenut Finish] + S/H

HC-1 Mk2 Horn Center Channel Speaker

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html

Hsu Research is proud to introduce the second generation HC-1. The second generation (MK2) HC-1 boasts flatter frequency response, improved horn, and more powerful Neodymium magnet for the tweeter, and greatly improved looks - expensive real wood finish or smooth custom satin black paint. The HC-1 MK2 is both efficient and high power handling. It provides effortless dynamics to handle high definition audio programs and home theater. The 6 1/2-inch woofers in the HC-1 MK2 have excellent damping properties, which reproduce upper-bass frequencies with utmost accuracy. This is keeping with Dr. Hsu's tradition of designing transient-accurate subwoofers, and allows the HC-1 MK2 to integrate seamlessly with any Hsu Research subwoofer. The HC-1 MK2 was designed specifically to work best in systems using subwoofers.

Specifications -
Frequency response - 60 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 2 dB
Sensitivity - 92 dB @ 1m Half Space
Recommended Amplifier Power - 10-250 Watt RMS Per Channel
Woofer - 6 1/2 Inch
Impedance - Nominal 12 Ohm, Min 8 Ohm
Enclosure Type - Vented, 3/4" MDF
Enclosure Dimensions - 8” H x 23” W x 9.5” D, With Grille & Base: 9 3/8" H x 23" W x 10" D
Weight - 25 lbs

Warranty - 7 years on the drivers

Price - $249 for Smooth Painted Satin Black Finish, $289 for Real Wood Veneer, Rosenut Finish + S/H

CCB-8 Constant-Directivity Coax Bookshelf Speaker

At RMAF 2016, Hsu Research unveiled their new CCB-8 coax bookshelf speaker. The CCB-8 features an 8" coaxial driver specially designed by Dr. Hsu. What sets this driver apart from many other coaxial speakers is that it features a molded woofer cone and a machined pole piece that will function as a constant directivity horn for the tweeter, as the tweeter is recessed behind the mid-range woofer magnet. The speaker is a point source so that, as you go off axis, whether laterally, vertically, or diagonally, the tonal quality will be very similar with a smooth off axis response. This is ideal not only for music, but for home theater as well, especially if you have a wider listening area. The speaker is rated for, 6 ohms nominal impedance/4 ohms min. The enclosure is 15x11x12" (HWD), rear ported, and the frequency response is from 50 Hz to 20 kHz.
chucky7 and monkuboy like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative

Last edited by HsuKevin; 10-21-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 302 Old 10-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Heard the old versions of these when you were at Axpona a few years back. Very impressive especially for the money.
HsuKevin likes this.
post #3 of 302 Old 10-09-2016, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Heard the old versions of these when you were at Axpona a few years back. Very impressive especially for the money.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I really enjoyed AXPONA and hopefully we will be able to make our way back out there soon.

Here are some pictures of the CCB-8

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 302 Old 10-09-2016, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
When do you anticipate the CCB-8 being available? Pricing?

In which situations would you recommend using it with your center in a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater setting over your HB-1 MK2?
post #5 of 302 Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticquart View Post
When do you anticipate the CCB-8 being available? Pricing?

In which situations would you recommend using it with your center in a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater setting over your HB-1 MK2?
Hey there,

Release date and price are not yet finalized. Our estimate is January release and around $699 a pair

I would say that this is more of a step up over the HB-1 Mk2 and HC-1 mk2. So I would go with the CCB-8 over the others if you can as it will provide you with better dynamic range and a smoother off axis response with similar tonal quality as on-axis.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #6 of 302 Old 10-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Big fan of HSU products. I like the look of the new offering and may have to stop by next time I am out that way to hear them.
HsuKevin likes this.
post #7 of 302 Old 10-10-2016, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Point source you said? That's fantastic! Eagerly awaiting the release of CCB-8.
HsuKevin likes this.
post #8 of 302 Old 10-11-2016, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear you folks are interested! From feedback we received at RMAF, it seems a lot of people really loved the sound and imaging of the CCB-8's, so we're really excited to get those out for you to enjoy.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #9 of 302 Old 10-12-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm very interested in the CCB-8's, but I'm not really liking that yellow driver. Is that going to be the production color?
post #10 of 302 Old 10-12-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by choombak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Glad to hear you folks are interested! From feedback we received at RMAF, it seems a lot of people really loved the sound and imaging of the CCB-8's, so we're really excited to get those out for you to enjoy.
Is point source a type of speaker or is type of woofer/tweeter setup like MTM?

And yes the yellow driver does seem odd, but OTOH I think a lot of us are use to Hsu's less fancy and plain speakers and subs so this is kind of radical for Hsu equipment. And I assumed Hsu is still going to sell the HB-1 and C1 for awhile but this new speaker will be a higher end offering? When is Hsu going to make a tower? I think i would visit California just to hear a Hsu tower setup with a nice complementary center. Now that would be extra awesome.
post #11 of 302 Old 10-12-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
The CCB-8's would be interesting as a surround speaker but being rear ported hurts placement flexibility.
post #12 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam James View Post
I'm very interested in the CCB-8's, but I'm not really liking that yellow driver. Is that going to be the production color?
That's the plan as of now. We certainly would like to get your feedback about this, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Is point source a type of speaker or is type of woofer/tweeter setup like MTM?

And yes the yellow driver does seem odd, but OTOH I think a lot of us are use to Hsu's less fancy and plain speakers and subs so this is kind of radical for Hsu equipment. And I assumed Hsu is still going to sell the HB-1 and C1 for awhile but this new speaker will be a higher end offering? When is Hsu going to make a tower? I think i would visit California just to hear a Hsu tower setup with a nice complementary center. Now that would be extra awesome.
Point source basically means a coax/full range speaker. All of the intended signal is coming from a single point on the speaker, as opposed to a MT or MTM design, so if you move off axis, your distances from the tranducer(s) effectively stay the same. As far as a tower, we're thinking about it and throwing some ideas around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
The CCB-8's would be interesting as a surround speaker but being rear ported hurts placement flexibility.
We do recommend crossing over our speakers at 80 Hz, and at that point the port may not be contributing much, so I think you still have a good amount of flexibility with that.
pukemon likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #13 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
That's the plan as of now. We certainly would like to get your feedback about this, though.
I don't think the yellow driver would look good in my living room. It also looks a little too much like a KRK studio monitor. I think it would look much better/sleeker with a black or dark gray driver. Will there be a grill for it?
openbaffled likes this.
post #14 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Point source basically means a coax/full range speaker. All of the intended signal is coming from a single point on the speaker, as opposed to a MT or MTM design, so if you move off axis, your distances from the tranducer(s) effectively stay the same. As far as a tower, we're thinking about it and throwing some ideas around.

We do recommend crossing over our speakers at 80 Hz, and at that point the port may not be contributing much, so I think you still have a good amount of flexibility with that.
Lol. Really? Hsu towers? On one hand that is exciting, on the other if it has 8" woofers I might be upset. I stalked JBL L890's for about 4 years but never pulled the trigger though it was in my price range, but kind of outside my price because I wanted 4 with a matching center. Then I had my eyes on EMPTEKs impression series for about 3 years, but I also overlooked the JBL 590s because of the L890. I missed out on the 2 590s for $900 by a couple months and couldn't wait for Harman/JBL to get their doodoo together. So yeah Kevin, if hsu comes out with a 42"-48" tower and it has 8" woofers I am going to be upset. If the sensitivity rating of the tower is 90+dB I will really be upset. All joking aside, I will be upset though I am very happy with the EMPTEK RBH branded impressions. If I ever have money to blow I still might get some HB-1s for hahas as I really want to hear how loud and impressive they are for their size. Never got an opportunity to hear the ventriloquist's either. Those were supposed to nice for their size though it had an set up.

+1 for Hsu towers from me though. I plan on keeping my impressions but if hsu came out with an impressive tower at the right price with and impressive center speaker I might have to sell.
post #15 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 7487 Post(s)
Liked: 6617
Quote:
Will the CCB-8 speakers have a grille?
Quote:
As far as a tower, we're thinking about it and throwing some ideas around.
At your very first open house many moons ago, Dr. Hsu said he was thinking of a floorstander similar to the HC-1, except with the tweeter on top rather than between the woofers. Guess it never happened. Would be a perfect complement to your centre speaker.
Trvlngnrs likes this.

Sanjay
post #16 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think the yellow driver would look good in my living room. It also looks a little too much like a KRK studio monitor. I think it would look much better/sleeker with a black or dark gray driver. Will there be a grill for it?
There will be a black metal grille (magnetically attached) for the speaker.

Quote:
Lol. Really? Hsu towers? On one hand that is exciting, on the other if it has 8" woofers I might be upset. I stalked JBL L890's for about 4 years but never pulled the trigger though it was in my price range, but kind of outside my price because I wanted 4 with a matching center. Then I had my eyes on EMPTEKs impression series for about 3 years, but I also overlooked the JBL 590s because of the L890. I missed out on the 2 590s for $900 by a couple months and couldn't wait for Harman/JBL to get their doodoo together. So yeah Kevin, if hsu comes out with a 42"-48" tower and it has 8" woofers I am going to be upset. If the sensitivity rating of the tower is 90+dB I will really be upset. All joking aside, I will be upset though I am very happy with the EMPTEK RBH branded impressions. If I ever have money to blow I still might get some HB-1s for hahas as I really want to hear how loud and impressive they are for their size. Never got an opportunity to hear the ventriloquist's either. Those were supposed to nice for their size though it had an set up.

+1 for Hsu towers from me though. I plan on keeping my impressions but if hsu came out with an impressive tower at the right price with and impressive center speaker I might have to sell.
Guess we will have to go with dual 18's then. You want the sensitivity of the speaker to be less than 90 dB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Will the CCB-8 speakers have a grille? At your very first open house many moons ago, Dr. Hsu said he was thinking of a floorstander similar to the HC-1, except with the tweeter on top rather than between the woofers. Guess it never happened. Would be a perfect complement to your centre speaker.
Yes, it will have a grille. I don't recall Dr. Hsu ever bringing up that tower design up. Of course a lot of things have changed since then as we've thrown around quite a lot of different ideas.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #17 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
I agree, it does look a lot like the KRK monitor. I think a charcoal gray would look amazing. At least there's a grill for people who don't like the color.
post #18 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 7487 Post(s)
Liked: 6617
Quote:
I don't recall Dr. Hsu ever bringing up that tower design up. Of course a lot of things have changed since then as we've thrown around quite a lot of different ideas.
Probably something he mentioned in passing. I thought it was a good idea. And just to give you a time frame for the open house, it was for the introduction of the VTF-15.

Sanjay
post #19 of 302 Old 10-13-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
I am not a big fan of the yellow driver and black box, as others have mentioned it looks like a KRK studio monitor. I definitely love the concept and it's great to see more companies offer coaxial designs. I think if you offered an additional style, it would go over well. Much in the way you can pay extra for the Rosenut Veneer on the HB-1, it would be nice to see that option for the CCB-8 as well. Perhaps a nice gunmetal driver fabric, it would give people a more attractive option.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #20 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have always been curious if Dr Hsu would consider some tower offerings. If the day ever comes and its at least a 8 incher similar to the HB-1 I would be all over it for my front stage and move my current to the sides.
HsuKevin likes this.
post #21 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There will be a black metal grille (magnetically attached) for the speaker.

Guess we will have to go with dual 18's then. You want the sensitivity of the speaker to be less than 90 dB?

Yes, it will have a grille. I don't recall Dr. Hsu ever bringing up that tower design up. Of course a lot of things have changed since then as we've thrown around quite a lot of different ideas.
No. 90 or more dB.
post #22 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I am not a big fan of the yellow driver and black box, as others have mentioned it looks like a KRK studio monitor. I definitely love the concept and it's great to see more companies offer coaxial designs. I think if you offered an additional style, it would go over well. Much in the way you can pay extra for the Rosenut Veneer on the HB-1, it would be nice to see that option for the CCB-8 as well. Perhaps a nice gunmetal driver fabric, it would give people a more attractive option.
Thanks for your input! I passed all of the feedback over to Dr. Hsu so we may be open to changing the color of the cone for production. Everyone at RMAF seemed OK with the driver color, but we didn't really bring it up either. I wouldn't mind seeing a dark silver or just going with black for the cone.

Quote:
No. 90 or more dB.
Ah! Yea it would likely be well over 90 dB.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #23 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Thanks for your input! I passed all of the feedback over to Dr. Hsu so we may be open to changing the color of the cone for production. Everyone at RMAF seemed OK with the driver color, but we didn't really bring it up either. I wouldn't mind seeing a dark silver or just going with black for the cone.

Ah! Yea it would likely be well over 90 dB.
B&W also has a similar looking cone. I think dark silver is a great idea.
post #24 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9573 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
So much concern over a woofer color when most folks use a grill.

Glad to see HSU R&D is hard at work.

Intriguing speakers.
HsuKevin likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #25 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Intriguing speakers.
I agree !! Personally, I like the look of the proposed driver - it really attracts the eye, and who doesn't want to show off their latest HSU purchase!! And for subtler moments there is always the grills that can be attached. I am intrigued by these speakers and can't wait to read a review on them.
monkuboy and HsuKevin like this.
post #26 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by choombak View Post
n

Likewise! Release date around January? That's right around when I'll be re-doing the media room. Hmm...
post #27 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Intriguing speakers.
Yeah that is true, but if I could get a nicer cabinet finish I wouldn't mind the driver color. While sound quality is the primary factor in speaker selection, I would be lying if I said how it looks doesn't matter to me. Nonetheless, I am anxious to read more about these!

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4

Last edited by Transmaniacon; 10-14-2016 at 08:34 PM.
post #28 of 302 Old 10-14-2016, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

We'll be getting the speakers back soon, so I'll try to snag a picture of the speaker with the grille for you.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #29 of 302 Old 10-15-2016, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 270
How does the CCB8 fare against JTR S8?
post #30 of 302 Old 10-15-2016, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think a white and black version of the CCB-8 and blue driver like the Kef LS50 is pretty sharp.

I am really wanting to hear these! I was all set to purchase the HB-1 Mk2 but am thinking I will wait to hear these.
Wester likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page