KEF Introduces LS50 Wireless Active Speakers - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #331 of 341 Old 03-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post
Has anyone installed the latest 1.1.0.0 firmware on their LS50W and experienced hissing from their speakers? When turning the speakers on and off there's also an audible crackle sound.
Hi!
I know this thread is old, but since yesterday I've noticed the exact same thing thing on my LS50ws: faint hissing noise and a quiet click or crackle when the sound starts or stops (either by powering on/off or about a second after switching inputs). I am pretty sure it wasn't there before.

I am on the latest firmware and also did a hardware reset.

Did you gain anyany insight on this since then? Did you find a way how to resolve this? Do yours still do it?

The noise currently is only audible on Wifi, Aux or PC/USB inputs, an hour ago it war also on optical, but never on bluetooth. Is it the same on yours?

I am deeply worried now this might be the beginning of a hardware failure, because otherwise I love these speakers.

Regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 341 Old 03-16-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtone View Post
Has anyone heard or are interested in the Elac Navis? They're basically a competitor to the LS50W but they've got little buzz. I haven't seen coverage outside of one Youtube reviewer below. Meanwhile the KEF LSX, which came out around the same time, has already been reviewed by many audio sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETbEaI9FZ8s

He likes it better than the LS50W. I’m interested in both, but this has me leaning to the Navis.
post #333 of 341 Old 03-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
https://youtu.be/cYlSV-knU0U

He likes it better than the LS50W. I’m interested in both, but this has me leaning to the Navis.
Nice review. I had the Navis for about a month. It is a great speaker. I was on the fence to keep it but felt it didn't really beat the LS50W. Had I bought the Navis first, I probably would have kept it over the LS50W. The reviewer has good insight but for my setup, the Navis and LS50W were so close, it wouldn't have been enough to sway the decision. The big pro (or con depending on perspective) is that the Navis has no internal DAC/DSP if using wired hookup and operates much like a traditional studio monitor.
Mikenificent1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 341 Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My pair from 11/2016 just started acting up. Left speaker sounds like the woofer's blown. Only thing that temporarily fixes it is unplugging the master from power, waiting a minute, and firing it back up. Lasts about a minute before it starts to do it again. Sending them off to KEF tomorrow for diagnosis and possible repair.
post #335 of 341 Old 09-17-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3506 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_B4 View Post
My pair from 11/2016 just started acting up. Left speaker sounds like the woofer's blown. Only thing that temporarily fixes it is unplugging the master from power, waiting a minute, and firing it back up. Lasts about a minute before it starts to do it again. Sending them off to KEF tomorrow for diagnosis and possible repair.
I'm very sorry for you to hear that's happened.

While I'm one of the biggest fans of KEF you'll find (even started a FB group for like-minded KEF Enthusiasts), I'd been leery of having 200+30 watt amps, a DAC, and a DSP inside a slightly enlarged LS50. If they were willing to have a longer warranty than 1 year on the electronics, I would feel better because they are such a bargain to get that much speaker and high-end electronics for that price.

On a whim I bit on a pair of passive LS50's even though all I had to power them at the time was an NAD D3020. I'd long heard that you need $1500 to $2000 worth of electronics to get close to what the LS50 Wireless does right out of the box. I was happy, but knew there was more in the speakers than what I was getting. I had started saving for an NAD C658 pre-amp and matching NAD C268 power amp because I wanted full DSP and more power than the Bluesound Powernode 2 I had gotten. When the Masters M10 was announced and said to include Dirac, I went to my dealer. They had gotten two in just the day before and hadn't even had time to listen long. I bought one on the spot, thanks to a generous good-guy discount. I don't know if my setup is better than just LS50 Wireless alone, but if not it's REALLY REALLY close.

I wish you luck, and hopefully the exemplary KEF Customer Support team will treat you right.
Bill_B4 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #336 of 341 Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I'm very sorry for you to hear that's happened.

While I'm one of the biggest fans of KEF you'll find (even started a FB group for like-minded KEF Enthusiasts), I'd been leery of having 200+30 watt amps, a DAC, and a DSP inside a slightly enlarged LS50. If they were willing to have a longer warranty than 1 year on the electronics, I would feel better because they are such a bargain to get that much speaker and high-end electronics for that price.

On a whim I bit on a pair of passive LS50's even though all I had to power them at the time was an NAD D3020. I'd long heard that you need $1500 to $2000 worth of electronics to get close to what the LS50 Wireless does right out of the box. I was happy, but knew there was more in the speakers than what I was getting. I had started saving for an NAD C658 pre-amp and matching NAD C268 power amp because I wanted full DSP and more power than the Bluesound Powernode 2 I had gotten. When the Masters M10 was announced and said to include Dirac, I went to my dealer. They had gotten two in just the day before and hadn't even had time to listen long. I bought one on the spot, thanks to a generous good-guy discount. I don't know if my setup is better than just LS50 Wireless alone, but if not it's REALLY REALLY close.

I wish you luck, and hopefully the exemplary KEF Customer Support team will treat you right.
Here's to hoping because I'm a believer in what they set out to accomplish with the LS50W.

I lived with the original 50th Anniv. passive version for close to 4 years matched with a McIntosh MA6300 integrated amp before getting "the itch". A local pair of B&W N805s scratched that itch.

I lived with them for about a year but found myself just not as engaged with the music as I was with the LS50. Then the LS50W came along and I bit the bullet as soon as they became available.

I'll admit I was concerned about having all of that technology crammed into the boxes but having lived with actives from Quad and Dynaudio prior to the passive LS50s I had hopes that this would be the best of both worlds. It does seem strange that the warranty period would be shorter for the most complex product KEF offered than the standard passive version - there's just so much more that can fail.

Here's to hoping it's a fix they're familiar with and they're back to me in about a month with only shipping charges out of pocket.
KenM10759 likes this.
post #337 of 341 Old 10-05-2019, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

So I got an update yesterday. Both “main boards” had to be replaced. They should ship Monday and I’ll have them back Tuesday/Wednesday.

As far as I know they replaced them free (except for shipping to them) and they’re 2 years out of warranty which I think is the right thing for them to do so, we’ll done KEF.

There does seem to be an unforeseen issue with early batches that hopefully has been fixed as they began to see problems. Still wish they would have done something similar to what Subaru did with the CVT on our Forester and simply sent a letter to owners stating they’d extended the warranty on them rather than leaving uncertainty out there.

Can’t wait to get them back!
post #338 of 341 Old 10-05-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_B4 View Post
So I got an update yesterday. Both “main boards” had to be replaced. They should ship Monday and I’ll have them back Tuesday/Wednesday.

As far as I know they replaced them free (except for shipping to them) and they’re 2 years out of warranty which I think is the right thing for them to do so, we’ll done KEF.

There does seem to be an unforeseen issue with early batches that hopefully has been fixed as they began to see problems. Still wish they would have done something similar to what Subaru did with the CVT on our Forester and simply sent a letter to owners stating they’d extended the warranty on them rather than leaving uncertainty out there.

Can’t wait to get them back!
People say that SVS customer service is the best. I would argue that KEF America customer support is absolutely right there too.

I have never seen them disappoint, though not everyone that needs them bothers to call and gently push.

Early on I had doubts about amps inside their speakers because many of the lower-level subwoofer they produced were notoriously unreliable. For example, a friend of mine had bought a KEF PSW2150 and a little over a year in, it failed. No warranty, so he bought another one. That one failed too. We were business associates and one day we were near my dealer so I brought him over to show him the SVS SB2000 I owned. He bought one on the spot after a 30 second demo. Meanwhile, I'd been researching the sub failure and found on this forum that a weak diode was the common failure. I bought 5 for $6.50 and fixed both his PSW2150's. My friend had never pursued this with KEF, or I'm sure they would have recognized multiple failures of the same component is a design flaw. KEF has learned much about amplifier technology and continues to learn.

Warranty repairs are costly for them, but there is that side benefit of learning to design for longevity. I would hope that they SOON begin to offer longer warranties (as SVS does) on subs and other amplified speakers. That they only give one year on paper is a big turn-off for many folks, and that only goes up as the price of a product is higher.

Wishing you the best!
Bill_B4 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #339 of 341 Old 10-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Is anyone here using Dirac Live with KEF LS50W speakers?

What are you using to add Dirac and how are the results? I know LS50W has inbuilt DSP but not the the Automatic Room Correction. Wondering if it will improve sound in a 'lively' room.

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
post #340 of 341 Old 10-22-2019, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Please forgive my basic knowledge.

I mostly listen to TIDAL HIFI including MQA Masters.

Will i be able to listen to TIDAL HIFI/MQA Masters on LS50 Wireless. I have fast internet, but only use 5GHz. I turned off 2.4GHz due to interference.

I run Tidal HIFI on my iPadPro.

I don’t want to use AirPlay or Chromecast as it has limited resolution. So can TIDAL HIFI/MQA play directly to KED LS50W via the Internet?
post #341 of 341 Old 10-22-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Please forgive my basic knowledge.

I mostly listen to TIDAL HIFI including MQA Masters.

Will i be able to listen to TIDAL HIFI/MQA Masters on LS50 Wireless. I have fast internet, but only use 5GHz. I turned off 2.4GHz due to interference.

I run Tidal HIFI on my iPadPro.

I don’t want to use AirPlay or Chromecast as it has limited resolution. So can TIDAL HIFI/MQA play directly to KED LS50W via the Internet?
No, there is no "unfolding" of the MQA (Tidal Masters) files without a certified DAC. It will play at standard 'cd quality' rate.

If you want that MQA handling, get a Bluesound Node 2i and use it's analog outputs to your speakers.
Soundizer17 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page