• 1 Post By ALtlOff
  • 1 Post By glennds

Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Atmos Rear Height Question

I know, another Atmos Question...I just bought a house with a nice big loft area, it's 14x22. I'll be using the front half of the room for my theater, so like 14x11. This means that I have the entire other half of the room behind me where I can put speakers and should get great dispersion coming from the rear or height. I'm getting an Onkyo TX-RZ800 and can't decide what to do with the 6th and 7th channels. Currently have Rti 8 fronts, CSi A6 Center, and FXi A6 for surrounds.

So...for adding two more channels for Atmos (can only add two so 5.1.2). Should I do in ceiling above the couch (option 1) or should I put speakers in the top corners of the wall behind me(option 2), so they would be like 10 feet back from the couch and four feet above listening position? Photos of the room are below (listing photos, not mine as it's not furnished yet). The couch will be perpendicular to the closet door and existing couch you see in the photo. Front of theater setup will be where the existing TV is in the photo. In the photo of the rear of the room, I put in circles showing where they would be if I went with option 2. Please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loft front.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1762697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loft Rear.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1762705  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi, congratulations on the new house. The optimal location for the Atmos speakers is right above the listening location. You may not get the full Atmos effect with the speakers behind the listening position. You can possibly try a temporary hookup there to see how it sounds. Enjoy your new receiver. It is a great unit. Best regards, Onkyo USA

Onkyo USA Product Support Department
Email: [email protected] Onkyo Products/ Services
[email protected] Integra Home Theater Products/ Services
Phone: (800) 229-1687 (Onkyo)
(800) 225-1946 (Integra Home Theater) 24 hours a day/ Monday- Sunday
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked: 5948
Another vote for option 1: height speakers above the couch (though it would be better to cheat them 3-4 feet forward, since our human hearing is better in front of us than behind us, it will make the height effect easier to hear).

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You might find it helpful to read some of the documents posted on the Dolby Atmos website. Recently they have been changing their recommendations, on the height speakers, and leaning towards installing Atmos modules on top of the right and left speakers to reflect the sound off the ceiling. This gives a more diffuse sound for these speakers.

This is another option, if you have a room that would work for this type of configuration.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...lby-atmos.html

Randy
Old 11-10-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Ditto @sdurani , if you have a choice, always opt for TM positioning in a x.x.2 setup.
Madmax67 likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Old 11-10-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post
You might find it helpful to read some of the documents posted on the Dolby Atmos website. Recently they have been changing their recommendations, on the height speakers, and leaning towards installing Atmos modules on top of the right and left speakers to reflect the sound off the ceiling. This gives a more diffuse sound for these speakers.

This is another option, if you have a room that would work for this type of configuration.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...lby-atmos.html

Randy
Setup guide:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...tup/index.html
Old 11-11-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So as I continue to research I find a lot of people saying they really enjoy 7.1 if you have ample space behind the couch for diffusion. Should I go that route instead of one pair of Atmos speakers ( I know two pairs is generally recommended but this receiver won't do it)? Would 7.1 be a better use of time and $$$ for the way my room is laid out since I can't run the recommended 5.1.4?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post
...Recently they have been changing their recommendations, on the height speakers, and leaning towards installing Atmos modules on top of the right and left speakers to reflect the sound off the ceiling. This gives a more diffuse sound for these speakers.
I don't think they are changing their recommendation saying that Atmos upward firing speakers are better than actual ceiling speakers. They just understand that the upward firing speakers are probably going to be more popular do to ease of installation.
The system is made to work with actual overhead speakers, so that is going to be best.
rboster likes this.

MAIN SPEAKERS: (2) Chane A5rx-c. CENTER SPKR: (1) Chane A2.4. SURROUND SPKRS: (4) Chane A1.4.
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR706. MAIN AMP: ATI 1506. SUBS: (1) 15" DIY sealed box, (2) 18" Fi DIY IB. SUB AMP: Behringer EP4000. TV: plasma Panasonic TC-P55VT50. REMOTE: Harmony 700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement