Buying used Integra and B&W speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Buying used Integra and B&W speakers

Hello experts,

I currently have an old Onkyo receiver with two front Klipsch RF 62 speakers. I went to the local audio shop and they had some demo pieces on sale. All prices shown below are discounted
Integra 50.7 receiver for $1300~
B&W 683 S2 for $1200~ pair

They did not have any center speakers on sale but the store guy suggested I go in for HTM62 or better HTM61 to complement the 683s. Of course I will also have to buy a sub.
I am planning to move the RF 62s to the back as surround. My questions are
1. Does the setup sound okay? Integra 50.7 driving 683s in front with HTM 62 and RF 62s in back.
2. How good of a deal are the integra and b&w speakers?

Any advise or idea will be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2016, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Opinions will vary. What matters is if you like it. Both are respected brands. I think you can do much better price wise. Demos are used and usually pushed very hard. You can buy these items used for much less, or maybe go higher in the line for similar money. Checking eBay sold items is a good way to get an idea of what people are paying.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
That's a very nice setup but similar receivers can be had new for half that price and B&W center channels are over priced IMHO.

Those speakers despite being towers don't play very low so a subwoofer would be something you would need to factor in as well.

Wharfedale makes speakers similar in sound as B&W and their towers tend to play lower and their center channels are less expensive.

These towers, for example, are cheaper than what you are looking at and a sub, especially for music, might not be mandatory as it would be with those B&Ws.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...s-(Black)-DEMO
postrokfan likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 5575
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
That's a very nice setup but similar receivers can be had new for half that price and B&W center channels are over priced IMHO.

Those speakers despite being towers don't play very low so a subwoofer would be something you would need to factor in as well.

Wharfedale makes speakers similar in sound as B&W and their towers tend to play lower and their center channels are less expensive.

These towers, for example, are cheaper than what you are looking at and a sub, especially for music, might not be mandatory as it would be with those B&Ws.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...s-(Black)-DEMO
That's true. The 683 S2s have a rating of 52 Hz +/- 3db. It's pretty clear B&W designed the new 600 series speakers to be used with subwoofers. While the HTM62 S2 is not that special the HTM61 S2 is quite good albeit expensive.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #5 of 5 Old 11-20-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
That's true. The 683 S2s have a rating of 52 Hz +/- 3db. It's pretty clear B&W designed the new 600 series speakers to be used with subwoofers. While the HTM62 S2 is not that special the HTM61 S2 is quite good albeit expensive.
Agreed.

The three pairs of B&W bookshelves and one center speaker I bought in the 80s are all still in use today on a daily basis and still sound very good.

B&W makes great products albeit on the expensive side.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
b&w 683 , b&w 683 s2 , Integra , integra 50.7 , klipsch rf 62

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page