Kef Reference Owners - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #61 of 219 Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Hi db:
Ever hear of MIR Audio Video in LA on Westwood? They will be getting a pair of Blade Two's they plan to use for demo late next week.
Funny that they are a possible demo site. Even though I'm an easterner I know them. Ask for Roy!
Check your PM.
bp
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of MIR nor does KEF list them, but I sent them an email. The drive from Montecito (Santa Barbara) down PCH to Westwood should be pleasant. I've driven to Santa Monica to auction equipment in the past. For some reason, access to you pm is blocked by a setting somewhere in my computer.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 219 Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM
BP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
[QUOTE=BP;55802416]Hi magicvinny:
When I return to the system later this week I will post pictures of the space. I assumed the roles of GC and PM. It was a great education.
The majority of the project took about 5 months to complete. Getting a few customized acoustic treatments done as originally ordered was frustrating as they extended final completion to 8 months.
bp

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
Do you have a picture of that room??? Must be AMAZING!!
[/QUOTE

Hey magicvinny:
Finally back where my main system lives. Hope they give you an idea of what's going on here.
bp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRG_DSC07933_1520818509913.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	479.0 KB
ID:	2373808   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRG_DSC07934_1520818555058.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	2373810   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRG_DSC07935_1520818570489.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	2373812   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRG_DSC07937_1520818582439.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	2373814  

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
post #63 of 219 Old 03-11-2018, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Hi. Would you guys PM me the best prices you've heard of, new/ or used, on the Reference 1's. Thanks in advance. Planning on joining the club in the future.

- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Silverstone CW02B, Ryzen 2700X, Crosshair VII WiFi, 16GB, ASUS STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)
- SOUND: (7.1.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 219 Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[quote=BP;55838002]
Quote:
Hi magicvinny:
When I return to the system later this week I will post pictures of the space. I assumed the roles of GC and PM. It was a great education.
The majority of the project took about 5 months to complete. Getting a few customized acoustic treatments done as originally ordered was frustrating as they extended final completion to 8 months.
bp

[/QUOTE

Hey magicvinny:
Finally back where my main system lives. Hope they give you an idea of what's going on here.
bp
Incredible room, thanks for the pics!!!!!
fritzjurg likes this.
post #65 of 219 Old 03-17-2018, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Am thinking about a Pass INT60 and Kef Ref 3's for a 2-channel (only) rig to use for vinyl. Dusted off my record collection a few months back and used some on-hand stuff plus a new but inexpensive turntable to get things going, and to my surprise I really enjoy the listening sessions as well as the 'background at a party' type stuff.

Upgrading may be overkill for the latter, but for the former I may pull the trigger. Phenomenal sound quality on the Reference line.
dbphd and KenM10759 like this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #66 of 219 Old 03-19-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 516
[quote=BP;55838002]
Quote:
Hi magicvinny:
bp

[/QUOTE

Hey magicvinny:
bp
Really awesome. I wish I was able to move everything from living room to a dedicated room.

Thanks for the pictures.

Rick
post #67 of 219 Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I signed up for Tidal Hi-Fi Premium service and what a significant improvement from other streaming services. Friday night, we were listening to my wife's favorite opera, Turandot, and the nessun dorma as sung by various tenors. She was in tears, enjoying the music, wishing her father was still alive to enjoy the sound experience coming out of the ref 1s, and then turned to me and said...we need to add more power... I shared the story with my Magnolia A/V sales guy & the regional Kef rep, I think they also had tears of joy... #$$$$
anthonymoody likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED | Pioneer Kuro Elite 141FD 60" | Rotel RAP-1580 AVR | Kef Reference 1 | OPPO UDP-205 | B&W CM5 | Apple 4K TV | Sonus One | Peachtree Nova Amp | Pro-Ject Turntable | Xbox One X (soon) | Panamax MB1500 | APC H15 Power Conditioning | AudioQuest Coffee & Vodka (in-wall) | Control4 EA 1 & SR-260-I | Amazon Echo | Sanus BLF228-B1 Wall Mount
post #68 of 219 Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzjurg View Post
I signed up for Tidal Hi-Fi Premium service and what a significant improvement from other streaming services. Friday night, we were listening to my wife's favorite opera, Turandot, and the nessun dorma as sung by various tenors. She was in tears, enjoying the music, wishing her father was still alive to enjoy the sound experience coming out of the ref 1s, and then turned to me and said...we need to add more power... I shared the story with my Magnolia A/V sales guy & the regional Kef rep, I think they also had tears of joy... #$$$$
What a great experience. Also, what a great wife

Sounds like she might appreciate the Ref 3's...
fritzjurg likes this.

Double True!
post #69 of 219 Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 PM
BP

[QUOTE=Mr.SoftDome;55880878]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi magicvinny:
bp

[/QUOTE

Hey magicvinny:
bp
Really awesome. I wish I was able to move everything from living room to a dedicated room.

Thanks for the pictures.

Rick
Hi RIck: that space was shared with a ping pong table, piano, etc, for many many years! After my kids moved out I started strategizing an approach to making it MY dedicated listening space and my wife's movie space. Now we are both happy!😃👍
fritzjurg likes this.

BP

post #70 of 219 Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 PM
BP

Fritzjirg:
I love reading posts like yours. They mean you made some fine system choices and a great choice in a wife!!👍👍‼️
I have similar stories. Two: an old Italian friend who grew up listening to Frankie had tears in his eyes after listening to him on my system. Must have taken him back to his youth. Another was a cousin of my wife who started listening and said she was getting goosebumps! She asked if it was OK to get up and dance!! My wife joined her!!‼️
Yes, these systems can be magical and transport us to a different time and place!
Quote:
I signed up for Tidal -Fi Premium service and what a significant improvement from other streaming services. Friday night, we were listening to my wife's favorite opera, Turandot, and the nessun dorma as sung by various tenors. She was in tears, enjoying the music, wishing her father was still alive to enjoy the sound experience coming out of the ref 1s, and then turned to me and said...we need to add more power... I shared the story with my Magnolia A/V sales guy & the regional Kef rep, I think they also had tears of joy... #$$$$

BP

post #71 of 219 Old 03-23-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Fritzjirg:
I love reading posts like yours. They mean you made some fine system choices and a great choice in a wife!!👍👍‼️
I have similar stories. Two: an old Italian friend who grew up listening to Frankie had tears in his eyes after listening to him on my system. Must have taken him back to his youth. Another was a cousin of my wife who started listening and said she was getting goosebumps! She asked if it was OK to get up and dance!! My wife joined her!!‼️
Yes, these systems can be magical and transport us to a different time and place!
Great stories about your friend's experience!

When we had our final listening session at Magnolia, we there for an hour and the Ref 1s were each powered by McIntosh MC601 600w amps. From opera to jazz to Merengue. There was a Merengue song we had played at our wedding, so beautiful was the sound, we started dancing and it was filmed by our Magnolia Designer. he sent it to the Kef rep and supposedly went far up the Kef management chain. The 600W are likely overkill but they mentioned they would be selling the 2 as floor samples soon... $$$$$ I knew I shouldn't have recently gotten the 2018 Porsche 911 cabriolet until we finished spending on the A/V system...back to work this weekend...

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED | Pioneer Kuro Elite 141FD 60" | Rotel RAP-1580 AVR | Kef Reference 1 | OPPO UDP-205 | B&W CM5 | Apple 4K TV | Sonus One | Peachtree Nova Amp | Pro-Ject Turntable | Xbox One X (soon) | Panamax MB1500 | APC H15 Power Conditioning | AudioQuest Coffee & Vodka (in-wall) | Control4 EA 1 & SR-260-I | Amazon Echo | Sanus BLF228-B1 Wall Mount
post #72 of 219 Old 03-23-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post
Hi. Would you guys PM me the best prices you've heard of, new/ or used, on the Reference 1's. Thanks in advance. Planning on joining the club in the future.
Anyone? I'm looking for a pair in Rosenut....

- VIDEO: SONY OLED 65A1E | Panasonic UB820 | 44TB Synology DS1815+ | Dune Solo 4K | XBOX ONE X SCORPIO | PS4 PRO | Apple TV 4K | HTPC/Gaming Rig (Silverstone CW02B, Ryzen 2700X, Crosshair VII WiFi, 16GB, ASUS STRIX OC 1080TI, Auzen HDMI XFi)
- SOUND: (7.1.4 Atmos) EMOTIVA RMC-1 | McIntosh MC-8207 + CROWN XLS 2502, 1502 | KEF LS50, SVS Prime Elevations, RYTHMIK G25HP + L22
post #73 of 219 Old 03-24-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 600W are likely overkill but they mentioned they would be selling the 2 as floor samples soon... $$$$$ I knew I shouldn't have recently gotten the 2018 Porsche 911 cabriolet until we finished spending on the A/V system.
I'm using Parasound JC 1 monoblocks (800 watts @ 4Ω) to drive my Reference 107/2s, and they really make them come to life. I think the 107/2s thrive on current, and the newer reference speakers may as well.

Mine is a 2013 911S cabriolet with PDK, chocolate over cream with tan leather.

db
fritzjurg likes this.
post #74 of 219 Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Interesting the mega wattage some are throwing at these, especially the 1's in fritzjurg's demo!

My 3's are en route, and I will power them with a Pass Labs INT-60 which, as its name suggests, throws "only" 60W into 8 ohms. The first 30 are sweeeeet Class A.

I can always upgrade if/as needed, but, based on having the Pass drive some other speakers, including some extremely demanding Thiels, I'm not worried.

Double True!
post #75 of 219 Old 03-30-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
What a great experience. Also, what a great wife

Sounds like she might appreciate the Ref 3's...
I was in Orlando yesterday and stopped in at Millennium Systems Design, a Kef Retailer. They had an amazing set-up including Blades 2 powered by Parasound JC1 mono blocks. What a GORGEOUS sound! Sadly, someone had an accident and the Blade 2 was knocked to the ground. Cosmetic damage but no damage to speakers, tweeters, etc. They have a Kef Reference room (forgot if 3 or 5), custom home theater room with in-wall Kef Refs around the room. Not bringing the wife to that place...I'll never be able to retire...
anthonymoody likes this.

post #76 of 219 Old 03-31-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They had an amazing set-up including Blades 2 powered by Parasound JC1 mono blocks. What a GORGEOUS sound!
Blade with JC 1 monoblocks seems a usual pairing, probably for good reason.

db
post #77 of 219 Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 PM

So I’m thinking of one of two options.

A. Keep the Rotel AVR RAP 1580 and add the Rotel RB1590 (350w at 8 ohms)-$3k upgrade all in
Or
B. Get 100% credit on the Rotel AVR for the new (seems amazing) Marantz AV8805 and a new Parasound A21 power amp. $2500 for Marantz upgrade including reprogramming Control4 system plus $3k for power amp, interconnects & tax ($5500 total approx.)

In researching power amp options, I reached out to many Kef dealers in major cities. Almost all recommend Parasound and one in LA recommended NAD, Parasound & a Macintosh 150 wpc. Lots of choices in LA I guess....

Anyone here have done similar research and can share your observations?

post #78 of 219 Old 04-01-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Get 100% credit on the Rotel AVR for the new (seems amazing) Marantz AV8805 and a new Parasound A21 power amp.
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish or whether you need the AV8805. A new Oppo 205 will process Tidal and may be sufficient to serve as a processor and disc player that connects directly to a pair of used JC 1s. I use three JC 1s I bought used for LRC. In a stereo setup I used an A 21 to drive LS50s. I replaced the A 21 with an Ayre VX-5 Twenty because of a height limitation in a new rack, but I liked the simplicity of a rack stacked with DirecTV, Oppo, and A 21, and the sound was excellent.

db
fritzjurg likes this.
post #79 of 219 Old 04-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish or whether you need the AV8805. A new Oppo 205 will process Tidal and may be sufficient to serve as a processor and disc player that connects directly to a pair of used JC 1s. I use three JC 1s I bought used for LRC. In a stereo setup I used an A 21 to drive LS50s. I replaced the A 21 with an Ayre VX-5 Twenty because of a height limitation in a new rack, but I liked the simplicity of a rack stacked with DirecTV, Oppo, and A 21, and the sound was excellent.

db
My goal is to “reasonably” optimize the sound quality on the Kef R1s in what is likely to remain a 2 channel system but may become 3 channel as I add a Kef Reference center speaker.

Interesting conversation with a Kef rep who used to rep B&W and has lots experience with Rotel. Keep the Rotel RAP-1580, add the RB1890 power amp, change the HDMI from running through the RAP1580 and run them through the OPPO205 instead, then use interconnects from OPPO TO RAP. I’m likely to stay 2-channel for a year or so and will keep an eye towards adding a Kef Reference center channel but no forecast to add rear speakers for years (will run cables the next time we remodel the house, flooring, etc. but not looking forward to that major remodel project). Other considerations were

1. Sell RAP, buy a demo Norma EVA 140 at 50% off (boutique Italian amp for $5k and competes well with amps $20k and better. No power amp needed.) a Kef Authorized dealer on Long Island considers them the best amps he’s ever heard powering the Kef R1s.

2. Sell RAP, buy a Parasound Pre & Pro amps, run all hdmi through Sony OLED TV. Lots of Control4 reprogramming and replace all my short Audioquest Coffee HDMI cables (too shot and not in-wall capable)

Just venting / thinking out loud, as the options are near unlimited and trying to minimize spending mistakes and maximize the sound quality of these amazing Kef Reference 1s

post #80 of 219 Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi all. Great thread.
I’m just about to get ref 1s as front L and R, and the ref 4c as centre.
Don’t even want to hear the blades, as my spending should have limits!
Still unsure as to on wall ?revel 206 or in wall KEF THX for sides and same for rears, or possibly LS50 on stands for rears.
Also going for the kef THX in ceiling for 4 atmos.
I am really unkeen to spend £1000 on the dedicated stands for the ref 1s, and also 2 more for the centre, has anyone heard / tried different? Was thinking of using the stands KEF recommends for the LS 50?
Not listened to different amps with them but so far was thinking of NAD masters M27 (7 chan) anthem M25 (5 chan) or emotiva differential reference amp (for front 3). These are all near 200w/ channel, although the NAD is slightly less.
I have another amp for ceiling atmos plus maybe rears.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Thanks
post #81 of 219 Old 04-04-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
Hi all. Great thread.
I’m just about to get ref 1s as front L and R, and the ref 4c as centre.
Don’t even want to hear the blades, as my spending should have limits!
Still unsure as to on wall ?revel 206 or in wall KEF THX for sides and same for rears, or possibly LS50 on stands for rears.
Also going for the kef THX in ceiling for 4 atmos.
I am really unkeen to spend £1000 on the dedicated stands for the ref 1s, and also 2 more for the centre, has anyone heard / tried different? Was thinking of using the stands KEF recommends for the LS 50?
Not listened to different amps with them but so far was thinking of NAD masters M27 (7 chan) anthem M25 (5 chan) or emotiva differential reference amp (for front 3). These are all near 200w/ channel, although the NAD is slightly less.
I have another amp for ceiling atmos plus maybe rears.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Thanks
Nice! I’m thinking of adding the center too but likely next year. I use the Rotel RAP 1580 AVR and soon to add a Rotel power amp. Want to hear the difference with added power. If I’m not happy, I’m considering changing to the Maramtz AV 8805 or an Arcam. Other Kef Dealers have recommended NAD, Norma EVA 14, Parasound pre & power amp combo, and others. I got the Kef R1 stands as they look beautiful. I spoke with a Kef authorized dealer, [email protected] (I think). Nice guy, sets up fancy systems in San Francisco region, and he clams he knows of a stand with a far better quality results but not the nic design look as the Kefs. If you like, I can share a number tomorrow. Or he can b found on Kef dealer search page under dwell designs using a San Francisco zip code.

post #82 of 219 Old 04-05-2018, 05:03 AM

Thanks, but I live in the UK!
I have seen good reviews of the parasound amps. Would have to listen and see if I like the “warm” sound.
Has anyone heard IsoAcoustics supports? Generally meant to sit between speaker and stand or floor with towers and help absorb vibration.
I am considering listening to some.
post #83 of 219 Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone heard IsoAcoustics supports? Generally meant to sit between speaker and stand or floor with towers and help absorb vibration.
I am considering listening to some.
I don't think of listening to them, but I do use two IsoAcoustics stands to support a 100 pound 3.5' wide KEF Reference 204/2C center speaker, and they work well. What I did "hear" was the sudden cure for sub-woofer bloat SubDudes provided by isolating them from the floor joists.

db
post #84 of 219 Old 04-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Apologies for my turn of phrase. I wasn’t planning to put my ear next to them!
Speakers on order, have to wait 6-8 weeks now 😞
Looking forward to listening to them.
post #85 of 219 Old 04-05-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Apologies for my turn of phrase. I wasn’t planning to put my ear next to them!
Speakers on order, have to wait 6-8 weeks now 😞
Looking forward to listening to them.
Nice! You went with REF 1 and 4C? The larger center is frigging awesome and so glad I went that direction. Two years in and I bitched to myself a little about the cost but now that it is done and I have recovered it was the right move.

The REF 1 stands by KEF. Yes, overpriced for sure but another situation where they are now paid for long ago and glad I went that direction. The 1s bolt to the stands and they just look like they go together. With fill added I have a hard time moving the stand/speakers. Totally stable but a real bitch to move an inch right or left.

Sound Anchor is probably the other potential stand. I have heard in discussion they are a better stand all in all and cheaper but I just can't get past the looks. This is the one time looks matter to me. An $8k investment in a monitor and then to worry about the stand cost can drive you crazy.

Your wait will be worth it. I was one of the first to order when first introduced and my wait was plus six months I believe. I was near the point of canceling but so glad I didn't. You will love them.

Rick
post #86 of 219 Old 04-06-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Nice! You went with REF 1 and 4C? The larger center is frigging awesome and so glad I went that direction. Two years in and I bitched to myself a little about the cost but now that it is done and I have recovered it was the right move.

The REF 1 stands by KEF. Yes, overpriced for sure but another situation where they are now paid for long ago and glad I went that direction. The 1s bolt to the stands and they just look like they go together. With fill added I have a hard time moving the stand/speakers. Totally stable but a real bitch to move an inch right or left.

Sound Anchor is probably the other potential stand. I have heard in discussion they are a better stand all in all and cheaper but I just can't get past the looks. This is the one time looks matter to me. An $8k investment in a monitor and then to worry about the stand cost can drive you crazy.

Your wait will be worth it. I was one of the first to order when first introduced and my wait was plus six months I believe. I was near the point of canceling but so glad I didn't. You will love them.

Rick
I agree, the Kef stands are beautiful for the Kef Reference 1. A Kef authorized dealer in the US recommends another pair of stands but confirmed they are far from as nice looking as the Kef stands. I mentioned the option to my wife and how less attractive they would be but that the performance would be better...I don;t think she even bothered to look up or respond... ;-)

post #87 of 219 Old 04-06-2018, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.
It will be a darkened cinema room, also for listening to music. Will have to do the looks/ price challenge in my head re the stands. May be less noticeable for me, particularly if I keep that end of the room darker!
Glad the 4c seems worth it.
Any thoughts on side speakers, rears and amps? Unfortunately price precludes ref 1 all round, and don’t think I have space for floor speakers for the sides.
post #88 of 219 Old 04-06-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

For those worried about the price jumps between models in the Reference series, don't overlook the used market. Stuff at this level is usually extremely well cared for. There's a pair of Ref 3's available for $7800 right now for example, less than Ref 1's cost new. Just a thought. I bought my Ref 3's and Pass Labs INT-60 used with zero regrets.
dbphd likes this.

Double True!
post #89 of 219 Old 04-07-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
For those worried about the price jumps between models in the Reference series, don't overlook the used market. Stuff at this level is usually extremely well cared for.
Except for Oppos and LS50s, I've bought all my stuff used. My recent Ayre buying bing, QX-5 Twenty digital hub, KX-5 Twenty preamp, VX-5 Twenty amp, and DX-5 DSD disc player, have all been used, arrived in original packing, and in flawless condition. And the interactions with the previous owners have often been insightful and instructive.

db
post #90 of 219 Old 04-07-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Except for Oppos and LS50s, I've bought all my stuff used. My recent Ayre buying bing, QX-5 Twenty digital hub, KX-5 Twenty preamp, VX-5 Twenty amp, and DX-5 DSD disc player, have all been used, arrived in original packing, and in flawless condition. And the interactions with the previous owners have often been insightful and instructive.

db
Agreed and great points. And, I also greatly appreciate those folks for taking the major depreciation hit

Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page