Mini Review: Monoprice Monolith K-BAS Reference Series Bookshelf Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By synccoil

post #1 of 23 Old 12-28-2016, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9077 Post(s)
Liked: 16012
Mini Review: Monoprice Monolith K-BAS Reference Series Bookshelf Speakers

The Monoprice Monolith K-BAS Reference Series bookshelf speaker system thrives at modest output levels, providing clean, transparent, satisfying audio reproduction. Just don't expect miracles when you crank the volume. Read the full mini review here: https://www.avsforum.com/monoprice-mo...helf-speakers/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-28-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8969 Post(s)
Liked: 6137
Thanks; I was curious.

Sadly, they sound a bit disappointing.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 23 Old 12-28-2016, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Thanks; I was curious.

Only disappointing if you are looking for something they cannot offer. I've seen/heard much more expensive speakers fail to sound or measure as flat and neutral as these. Ultimately there's only so much you can do with a 5.25" woofer if you are asking a speaker to play below 40 Hz. I'd use them on a mixing console for nearfield monitoring in a heartbeat. But, I would not build a high-impact home theater around them. That is all.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-28-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-28-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2828
Quote:
Thanks; I was curious.

Could you tell me what is disapointing about this speakers?

They look great for nearfield.
synccoil likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 12-28-2016 at 04:26 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-28-2016, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Only disappointing if you are looking for something they cannot offer. I've seen/heard much more expensive speakers fail to sound or measure as flat and neutral as these. Ultimately there's only so much you can do with a 5.25" woofer if you are asking a speaker to play below 40 Hz. I'd use them on a mixing console for nearfield monitoring in a heartbeat. But, I would not build a high-impact home theater around them. That is all.
have you took a look at the dennis murphy affordable monitors? they get great reviews. wondering how these compare. they are around $50 cheaper than these, though monoprice has discounts once in a while. im looking for computer desktop speakers, no sub so looking for the most bass i can get.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-28-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
have you took a look at the dennis murphy affordable monitors? they get great reviews. wondering how these compare. they are around $50 cheaper than these, though monoprice has discounts once in a while. im looking for computer desktop speakers, no sub so looking for the most bass i can get.
I haven't heard the Monoprice, so I have no comments on the relative merits of the Mono's and my AA monitors. But I think you're confusing my price-per-pair ($210) with the Mono price of $250 per speaker.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 120
a very interested But utterly disappointed that obv the Atlantic speakers play better even though they share the same design correct?
post #8 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
a very interested But utterly disappointed that obv the Atlantic speakers play better even though they share the same design correct?
The design appears to be derived from another speaker, the Solus Audio Entre: http://www.solusaudio.com/h-pas-products

There is no indication that the Monoprice variant is inferior, superior, or anything like that. Simply put, I have not compared the two speakers. Specs are identical—cabinet size, frequency response, minimum impedance, and of course driver layout. However, best I can tell the limitations of the speaker are physics-based, not design-based. So my guess is the Monoprice performs very similarly, if not identically. The catch is that I don't really know the answer because the only way to know would be through a direct comparison.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Mark, what happens when you try to crank the volume?

Do they compress and stop getting louder at a specific SPL/distance?

Or, do they distort at a specific SPL/distance?
post #10 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Mark, what happens when you try to crank the volume?

Do they compress and stop getting louder at a specific SPL/distance?

Or, do they distort at a specific SPL/distance?
The woofer starts working really hard, the result is dynamic compression. I'm sure the port chuffing is there, too... albeit masked by the audio. This speaker is limited by the mid/woofer's maximum excursion. You can get more out of them with a sub and using bass management with an 80 Hz crossover because that effectively negates the need for the speaker to try and handle deep bass, which is what causes it to hit the performance limit early. I suspect the tweeter can handle a lot more power and the mid/woofer does a great job with midrange; its primary output limitations appear to be bass related.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8969 Post(s)
Liked: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Could you tell me what is disapointing about this speakers?

They look great for nearfield.
I have speakers with those size woofers and they don't break up when I crank up the volume.

I guess that's a result of digging for deeper bass than mine try to.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I have speakers with those size woofers and they don't break up when I crank up the volume.

I guess that's a result of digging for deeper bass than mine try to.
No break-up when cranked... just dynamic compression and related limitations when it comes to the port and port velocity (hence chuffing). It's definitely due to digging deeper, the lower you go the more displacement you need. It probably would not hurt to use a high-pass filter with these—set at 35 hz—because they will try and play low bass notes that they cannot reproduce.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Mini Review: Monoprice Monolith K-BAS Reference Series Bookshelf Speakers

Five hundred bucks a pair? That's Elac UB5 money.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #14 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Yeah, and frankly the UB5 is hard to beat at that price point.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-29-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:

Ostensibly these have a higher sensitivity than the Elac speakers? I remember thinking they were pretty low @ 85 ish decibels. surely these are better than that?
post #16 of 23 Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
I'd get it if they had markedly better finish quality than the Elacs. But "durable matte black paint" doesn't exactly sound like a Monitor Audio or Revel grade finish.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #17 of 23 Old 12-31-2016, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Mark, I really hope that you can get your hands on the Monolith Air Motion Cinema speakers and the 15 inch subwoofer to review.

post #18 of 23 Old 12-31-2016, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
Mark, I really hope that you can get your hands on the Monolith Air Motion Cinema speakers and the 15 inch subwoofer to review.
Already been offered a chance to review the Air Motion speakers, can't do it pre-CES. The sub... well, looks like the final manifestation of that is a bit up in the air. But I can review the speakers with another sub and with some encouragement I'll consider doing it. It's gonna be a busy year but finding the gems in the Monoprice catalog is definitely something I plan to do.
gajCA, BIGBEAR2004 and synccoil like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #19 of 23 Old 01-01-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
If anyone's looking for speakers in the $500 price range, pro audio monitors are also a pretty good option from what I've experienced up to this point.

post #20 of 23 Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Thanks; I was curious.

Note these are not self powered JBL LSR 308's

Forgive me but anyone that knows anything about loudspeakers and driver compression when loudspeakers are being pushed too hard for what they are will know the implications of all that as it relates to compact speakers or any speaker .

All that does not imply that these are bad speakers when used correctly and moreover with a powered sub for more room gain and impact and like any speaker they must be placed correctly .

Outside of an open room or a square room these speakers should be placed on the short walls in a rectangular room with an optional powered sub at the correct X over points if you want more room gain ,fullness and impact.

Many may be surprised just how room filling and impact full compact speakers like these can sound like that with a sub in a blind test that would wholly not reveal thier size in an appropriately sized room .

None of these speakers here are high impact critical audiophile , reference speakers or large midfield and will only move so much air and should not harbor those expectations beyond what they are .

If you want to hear poor sounding arrays of 6 larger speakers all total get an expensive at the time large late 1950's to 1970's 6 speaker furniture cabinet mass produced AM -FM phono stereo console with open back speakers and ceramic phono pick ups in their record grinders .

Outside of a custom back then they only made a few semi customs from Amprex ,Fisher , Pilot and the Magnavox concert grands that were any good and they were priced accordingly and some of the twin monobloc amplifier > Bi-amped > 6 output vacuum tube per channel Magnavox Concert Grands could heat a room and rock your home and both the your neighbors homes too but they were all expensive and made to order anyway

Quote:
Imagic
Exactly these are not high impact speakers and neither are my *very inexpensive compact Monoprice 10565 5.1 speakers with powdered sub that wholly do not revel thier size or price in an appropriately sized room at a correct placement and Xover points and moreover on small speaker settings they will take plenty of my Sony ES 7.1 -110 wpc AVR and those are full bandwidth all channels driven rms watts and then some like any 30lb or more Sony ES AVR .

Frankly speaking * for what I paid for the 100wpc rated The Mono price 10565 compact 5.1 and up to multiples of that price it was all exceeded my expectations and was astonishing otherwise maybe they would be in another room or something .

I might belive the same would apply to some other Mono price audio products outside of the inexpensive decent cables from them I already have .

TBH I bought them wholly based on the fact that Cnet stated they sound better than the Energy take 5.1 Classics I was SRSLY thinking about for this room in here with my executive office furnishings , 55" Sony HDR TV ,Sony ES AVR , this desktop PC and the other AV sources .

These live ball game money with modest seats and a beer or two inexpensive Monoprice 10565 - 5.1 speaks don't look out of place in here, that was one reason I was looking at the arguably more polished looking Energy's

I did not want to drop a large wad of money in here or take up a lot of space in here for speakers , the HTIB junk style look or typical HTIB sound with those junk HTIB receivers and so on OTOH my decent 2.1 music is in another room .

https://www.cnet.com/products/monoprice-10565/review/

Regards ,

Last edited by synccoil; 01-03-2017 at 07:23 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
If anyone's looking for speakers in the $500 price range, pro audio monitors are also a pretty good option from what I've experienced up to this point.
Strongly agree The PC Game -Drive Sim - Music Room in the crib has some some self powered JBL LSR 308's with 2 reference subs and some by now ~2 yr old from new here ~ $3400.00 pr. of larger 12" 3 way JBL passive studio monitors with an 850 wpc Crown Xti and so on with some decent mojo , but no snob audiophile bling or exotic metal cable fool things .

All that busuiness can hold up to some way more expensive snob audiophile set ups and then some
amatuerholic likes this.

Last edited by synccoil; 01-03-2017 at 07:16 PM.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-03-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
JBL LSR 308 >>>>you arent geetting real bass or impact bass out of mid bass 5.25" drivers anyway but they will pass as and are frequently used as nerfields in that size if don't crank them and an optional powered sub wont hurt either .

You have any idea how long and and how long (*ft) to propagate a 30hz sound wave is .

You cant do that or 40hz decntly on the desktop without a sub anyway

note you dint need large sub at a desktop configuration 6.5" - 8" is plausible sealed or maybe preferably ported with a small sub like that

Some 8" 2 way midfield into the mix instead ..........then maybe a 10" sub

Last edited by synccoil; 01-03-2017 at 07:42 PM.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-26-2017, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
or... the jbl 530s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
k-bas , monolith , Monoprice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page