New versus used center speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New versus used center speakers?

I'm planning to buy a center speaker.

I currently have:
1) Front L/R: a pair of vintage Koss CM1030's, which I bought new and still sound well. I'm in the process of refurbishing the switches and maybe some of the crossover components if needed.
2) Rear L/R: a pair of vintage Benison, which my wife bought new and also sound well.
3) Center: a Yamaha NS-C310, which I bought because it was thin enough to fit in front of my TV without obtrusing the view. This speaker has very high-frequency response, but I think that it is not that good with mid and low frequencies.

I would like to get a bigger center speaker, which I will now place in the AV cabinet, as opposed to i front of the TV. Cabinet space constraints dictate that the center speaker should have a width less than or equal to 21 inches. I'm consider the following:

A- New Paradigm Prestige 45 C
B- Used Revel PerformA C32
C- Used Paradigm Signature C1 v3 Center Channel Speaker w/ P-Beryllium Tweeter

They all have similar width, are 3-way speakers and are all in the same price range (~$1000). The Paradigms seem to have higher frequency responses. However, I read that the Revel speakers are very balanced and sound well.

The obvious advantage of buying the new paradigms is that I can return them if I don't like them. However, I have found that the newer versions of the performA and signature series are either too wide to fit or, in the case of the PerformA 3 series C205, they are only 2-way speakers, which seems like a downgrade relative to the C32.

Any suggestions and feedback is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-02-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked: 2880
No mention of a sub in your post. Adding a sub would really help with the low frequencies issue. IMO the money would be better spent on a big sub or 2 smaller ones.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
center speaker , paradigm prestige , paradigm reference studio , Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page