5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Front Height or Wide Height - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 30
5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Front Height or Wide Height

I have four Infinity Primus P163s for surrounds. I had my HT in a different room in the house previously with a normal 7.1 setup. I have moved everything to the living room now which is rectangle shaped, and has the tv opposite the couch on the longer walls. No room behind for normal 7.1.

So I was wondering if I should just mount two of them as heights for Atmos/DTS:X. I have a Denon X2200W receiver.
Is it better to mount them in front height near the ceiling on the TV wall, or as wide height near the ceiling on the side walls, in line with the seating position?
I think using the side walls may cause an issue though, because the right one would be about 8ft from the sitting position (diagonal), versus the left being about 14ft from the sitting position (diagonal).

This link is the manual to the receiver,
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/E...SYtweharpi.php
Would I set it to 7.1 Front Height or 7.1 Front Dolby Atmos, or one of the other settings?

Surrounds will go on the back wall behind the couch, but stick out pretty far and can be angled inward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captureb.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1897681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturea.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1897689  

Last edited by CTM Audi; 01-15-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2017, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Are you sure there's Wide Height setting in Denon?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM Audi View Post
I have four Infinity Primus P163s for surrounds. I had my HT in a different room in the house previously with a normal 7.1 setup. I have moved everything to the living room now which is rectangle shaped, and has the tv opposite the couch on the longer walls. No room behind for normal 7.1.

So I was wondering if I should just mount two of them as heights for Atmos/DTS:X. I have a Denon X2200W receiver.
Is it better to mount them in front height near the ceiling on the TV wall, or as wide height near the ceiling on the side walls, in line with the seating position?
I think using the side walls may cause an issue though, because the right one would be about 8ft from the sitting position (diagonal), versus the left being about 14ft from the sitting position (diagonal).

This link is the manual to the receiver,
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/E...SYtweharpi.php
Would I set it to 7.1 Front Height or 7.1 Front Dolby Atmos, or one of the other settings?

Surrounds will go on the back wall behind the couch, but stick out pretty far and can be angled inward.
As side heights, and AVR may be able to compensate well enough for the difference in distance, but it will be an experiment. Is there any way you could experiment with some boxes or something for a temporary solution, to see which sounds best to you, or if that difference in distance is noticeable or bothers you?

Generally in a non-traditional x.x.2 setup with only Heights, Front Heights give you more accuracy with movement in the upper portions of the screen, but Side Heights gives you a better sense of spaciousness and Atmos overall.

As far as settings, Front Heights would be just that 5.1 w/ Front Heights, while Side Heights would be 5.1 w/ Top Middles, even though they are mounted on the wall instead, also, with SH, figure out the angle as if they were TM (usually about 1' forward of your MLP) and then just transfer that position over to the side walls.

Oh... The Dolby Atmos setting is only for upfiring speakers or modules.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well, I just went with front heights, as aesthetically it looks better in the room, and I wouldn't have to go buy an extra 50ft of wire to run all the way around the room to the left side. And as said above, I don't know if the Denon would even do side heights, I thought that was a general thing for all Atmos enabled receivers, but I guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page