1Likes
  • 1 Post By chip387

post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In ceiling speaker questions

I'm looking for some opinions on in ceiling speakers for a basement home theater setup. Currently my fronts are Klipsch RF-35s, center is a Klipsch RC-35 and the sub is a Klipsch RW-12D. As you can tell I'm partial to Klipsch and I'm thinking of rounding out my 7.1 setup with 4 in ceiling Klipsch speakers, but if there is a good argument for something else I'm open to hearing about it. I need to stay with in ceiling speakers due to wiring. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get the wires where I want them so I could go with a different style of speaker, but I've given up on that idea.

So I'd like to get some opinions regarding Klipsch in ceiling speakers. I've read that in general in ceiling speakers that are not enclosed do not produce as nice of a sound, so should I just save myself some money and go with the entry level R1800-C? (I'd was thinking an 8 inch speaker would match my existing speakers better than a 6.5 inch) Optionally the CDT5800 seems like it would match my existing speakers better, and I do like the idea of the pivoting woofer. The rears will be a solid 8 ft behind the viewing area so I feel like I may be losing something if those face down directly. As a third option I could go with cheaper speakers for my mids (which will be directly above the viewing area) and then the more expensive pivoting speakers for my rears.

These are the ideas/questions that I've come up with. I'd love to hear your opinions, and feel free to let me know if there is something else I should be considering. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hi, i just purchased and installed 4 OSD mk670 ceiling speakers for Atmos. 6.5 inch angled. I have a 7'10" drop ceiling. They sound amazing and very good sensitivity at 91. $70 each, 30 day trial, lifetime warranty. Oudoorspeakerdepot.com
I had been looking at the RSL c34e as well.
yanks1 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommiWan View Post
I'm looking for some opinions on in ceiling speakers for a basement home theater setup. Currently my fronts are Klipsch RF-35s, center is a Klipsch RC-35 and the sub is a Klipsch RW-12D. As you can tell I'm partial to Klipsch and I'm thinking of rounding out my 7.1 setup with 4 in ceiling Klipsch speakers, but if there is a good argument for something else I'm open to hearing about it. I need to stay with in ceiling speakers due to wiring. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get the wires where I want them so I could go with a different style of speaker, but I've given up on that idea.

So I'd like to get some opinions regarding Klipsch in ceiling speakers. I've read that in general in ceiling speakers that are not enclosed do not produce as nice of a sound, so should I just save myself some money and go with the entry level R1800-C? (I'd was thinking an 8 inch speaker would match my existing speakers better than a 6.5 inch) Optionally the CDT5800 seems like it would match my existing speakers better, and I do like the idea of the pivoting woofer. The rears will be a solid 8 ft behind the viewing area so I feel like I may be losing something if those face down directly. As a third option I could go with cheaper speakers for my mids (which will be directly above the viewing area) and then the more expensive pivoting speakers for my rears.

These are the ideas/questions that I've come up with. I'd love to hear your opinions, and feel free to let me know if there is something else I should be considering. Thanks!
Well, sounds like you're a Klipsch man! So, sticking with those is not a bad idea. Sorry, I'm just not familiar with the Klipsch line ups, so I'd recommend contacting Klipsch and seek their advice on which speaker would be the (optimal) match for 1) your current speakers 2) your parameters of distance, etc.

If you have a standard 8' ceiling, then yeah - those rears are out of the Dolby specs. for Atmos installation - so an angled speaker would be a good consideration, at least a tweeter that can be swiveled. But fixed angle might offer a *better* result since they are farther away from the MLP.

When you say "mids" and directly over the viewing area - do you mean Atmos front speakers and they are mounted over your display/screen - not your MLP?

Another angled speaker to consider is the RSL C34E as Chip already mentioned - very popular following.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I concur on RSL, great in-ceiling Speakers for both music & movies. Also were built for music first which is more demanding

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
When you say "mids" and directly over the viewing area - do you mean Atmos front speakers and they are mounted over your display/screen - not your MLP?
Thanks for the detailed response! I had not thought about contacting Klipsch directly about finding speakers to match with my setup, but I think that's a great idea. You mentioned some things I hadn't considered such as ceiling height. Mine are 9 ft ceilings.

When I say "mids" I guess that's not a good term to use. I have an Onkyo HT RC360 which is a 7.2 surround sound receiver. It can be used to add a second set of "front high" speakers or for another set of "surround back". So when I say mids, I mean the speakers that would be my normal surround speakers, but I called them mids because I planned to use the "surround back" option. Attached is a picture that shows the setup that I envision.

I appreciate the advice on the speakers. I'll check in to the RSL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home_Theatre_7_1_Surround_Speaker_Placement.png
Views:	32
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1917921  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response! I had not thought about contacting Klipsch directly about finding speakers to match with my setup, but I think that's a great idea. You mentioned some things I hadn't considered such as ceiling height. Mine are 9 ft ceilings.

When I say "mids" I guess that's not a good term to use. I have an Onkyo HT RC360 which is a 7.2 surround sound receiver. It can be used to add a second set of "front high" speakers or for another set of "surround back". So when I say mids, I mean the speakers that would be my normal surround speakers, but I called them mids because I planned to use the "surround back" option. Attached is a picture that shows the setup that I envision.

I appreciate the advice on the speakers. I'll check in to the RSL
Sounds good, I'll be interested to hear what Klipsch recommends and how it all comes together for you!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Sounds good, I'll be interested to hear what Klipsch recommends and how it all comes together for you!
Talked to Klipsch product support. They said that the CDT5800II would be the best match for my existing speakers. I figured that would be the case. He also mentioned that the woofer and tweeter were adjustable, so that would help with the surround rears which will be pretty far back. I can point them forward. I'm going to see if I can go somewhere and hear/see the speakers, but that's probably the route I'll go. thanks for the help!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Talked to Klipsch product support. They said that the CDT5800II would be the best match for my existing speakers. I figured that would be the case. He also mentioned that the woofer and tweeter were adjustable, so that would help with the surround rears which will be pretty far back. I can point them forward. I'm going to see if I can go somewhere and hear/see the speakers, but that's probably the route I'll go. thanks for the help!
Excellent! It is always nice to be sure about something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
7.1 , Home Theater , Klipsch , Surround Sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page