Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Alon Tuscany speakers

I was given a pair of these speakers a few years back and it turns out that there were some issues with them. One didn't have any bass at all and the other had bass but the part of the cone that connected to the side was rotting away. So I recently brought the first one to a speaker repair guy and he fixed it so the bass is working again. The amp had gone into protect mode. Now the other one is in the shop and that seems like an easy fix.

The speakers have three sets of connectors - LF, MF, HF. They're just normal screw on wire connectors, and the speakers came with wires that leave the amp (Onkyo TX-SR605) as a pair and split into three pairs to attach to the speaker terminals.

I thought I had asked about this before, when I first got the speakers:

Here

Anyway, the LF connector on each speaker came with jumper wires going to another pair of connectors labeled Speaker Level Input (there is also a line level input that bypasses the speaker terminals completely but I'm not using that yet). The repair guy was a bit confused about why Alon have that jumper wire.

The photo in my original post actually shows the jumper wire, which was removed by the time I took this pic.

He says that when the amp is connected to the LF connectors, it fires both the woofer and the midrange, and he didn't like the way the midrange was jumping. But when the connection bypasses the LF terminal and is connected directly to the Speaker Level Input terminal, the midrange is fine and the bass is fine.

Does anyone know why they would wire it so the LF connector fires both the woofer and mid?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alon.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1918049  

Last edited by dgk; 01-24-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-25-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8564 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
From Stereophile; so it sounds like the left speaker out positive terminal from the amp should should have three wires attached to it, with each individually connected to the three positive terminals on the back of the speaker and the same with the negative. Pretty darned weird.

"Each speaker is provided with six binding posts, to allow the recommended tri-wiring."

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...4IiXSleH1Kq.99

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page