Klipsch 535 - B Jubilee. Hopefully the end of my speaker journey - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #91 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
lummmens, Do you have some tube amps in mind?
I'm still researching right now. I will get closer to a decision when my Black Diamond screen sells and I have some additional cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

The Jubilees are breaking in now. Bass is much improved. I was using a +2 boost in the 40hz to 100hz frequencies but now they no longer need it. The biggest lesson I have learned about these speakers is they deliver a lot of excess mids which will pound a room into submission if they are not tamed.

I have never had a speaker which I had to cut the mids before. However the Jubes give out such a powerful midrange, they will drown out the treble and bass making the music sound muddied, convoluted, and just plain inaccurate.

Once I did a -3db cut from 600hz up to 3.5khz, the clarity and midrange definition really came alive. I love a prominent, defined midrange. However I don't like overbearing mids which overwhelm the treble so I like my mids slightly recessed.

However holding back on mids is a slippery slope. Too much mid trim and the midrange will sound recessed and distant. Not enough mid trim and the mids "shout at you" and overwhelm the treble and bass.

The Jubes have the strongest midrange out of any speaker I have heard or owned. And I love the three way configuration because I am not giving up treble performance in the higher frequencies in exchange for lower mid performance like I have been forced to do with my previous two way speakers.

These speakers will mercilessly expose any weaknesses up the chain such as a low quality dac, low quality recordings, low quality amplifier, etc. They sound their best in a open room at least 20 feet deep or bigger with high ceilings. They project a large wall of sound.

I thought the 510 horn emitting treble above my head might be a problem but it has been no issue at all. The mids and treble of these speakers envelop a room easily.
They sound great both on and off axis. I can't say enough how much I really, REALLY love these speakers.

They are definitely a worthy end to my long, expensive, and arduous speaker journey.
Russ69 likes this.

Last edited by LumensLover; 06-13-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #93 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked: 4473
What are you using for your PEQ adjustments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
What are you using for your PEQ adjustments?
DSP software for Lab Gruppen IPD-2400 amp.
post #95 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
They are definitely a worthy end to my long, expensive, and arduous speaker journey.
Congrats on being content with your speakers, may the Klipsch Jubes, LABGruppen commercial amp, PEQ and your subs give you decades of enjoyment.

I'm content with my mains also, a great feeling to be DONE for another 30 years until a cap swap. Just have the center channel to design/build and add a few more subs--then settle in for the long haul.
post #96 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Congrats on being content with your speakers, may the Klipsch Jubes, LABGruppen commercial amp, PEQ and your subs give you decades of enjoyment.

I'm content with my mains also, a great feeling to be DONE for another 30 years until a cap swap. Just have the center channel to design/build and add a few more subs--then settle in for the long haul.
Thanks. I want to add a center speaker too. Looking at Jube Scala builds, a Cornscala from Bob Crites, or a La Scala for a center speaker. Also want a pair of horn loaded subs to complete the system but horn sub designs which can get below 30hz are few and far between.
post #97 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Quote:
Also want a pair of horn loaded subs to complete the system but horn sub designs which can get below 30hz are few and far between.
Very true, you can get a dual 21 inch tapped horn but it is rather large, heavy and might be a bit over the top. It is from a company called Danley Sound Labs and they do have a dual 12 inch tapped horn tuned to around 12Hz that would work. On the DIY side, there are 6 foot tall 17Hz tapped horns called the Lilwrecker but you have to be quite dedicated to woodworking but it's an option.

If you want a front loaded horn subwoofer to match the front loaded horn of your Klipsch, the JTR Orbit Shifter ULF matches your requirement quite nicely. Here is a test with measurements to allow you to wrap your head around it.
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=123

Or just get a few 4000ULF dual 18" subs and call it a day--either way, it will take quite a bit to match your Klipsch. Good luck.

Last edited by 18Hurts; 06-13-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Add link
post #98 of 101 Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I've got a Danley DTS-10 and think Chris has the DTS-20.

It is shocking to hear/feel what they are capable of.

In my case, I have a single unit (wife said no to the second one I owned)

Chris has a pair of 20's with one sitting behind each Jubilee, acting a bit as a false corner.

The Jubilee's are big as you now see....the Danley's are also large. The DTS-10 is around 4'x5'x18" and weighs around 280 pounds.

I have two appliance dollys and can just barely manage to hoist one back on two wheels. MUCH easier with someone pushing it back but they're not always available to help.
18Hurts likes this.
post #99 of 101 Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
The Jubilees are breaking in now. Bass is much improved. I was using a +2 boost in the 40hz to 100hz frequencies but now they no longer need it. The biggest lesson I have learned about these speakers is they deliver a lot of excess mids which will pound a room into submission if they are not tamed.

I have never had a speaker which I had to cut the mids before. However the Jubes give out such a powerful midrange, they will drown out the treble and bass making the music sound muddied, convoluted, and just plain inaccurate.

Once I did a -3db cut from 600hz up to 3.5khz, the clarity and midrange definition really came alive. I love a prominent, defined midrange. However I don't like overbearing mids which overwhelm the treble so I like my mids slightly recessed.

However holding back on mids is a slippery slope. Too much mid trim and the midrange will sound recessed and distant. Not enough mid trim and the mids "shout at you" and overwhelm the treble and bass.

The Jubes have the strongest midrange out of any speaker I have heard or owned. And I love the three way configuration because I am not giving up treble performance in the higher frequencies in exchange for lower mid performance like I have been forced to do with my previous two way speakers.

These speakers will mercilessly expose any weaknesses up the chain such as a low quality dac, low quality recordings, low quality amplifier, etc. They sound their best in a open room at least 20 feet deep or bigger with high ceilings. They project a large wall of sound.

I thought the 510 horn emitting treble above my head might be a problem but it has been no issue at all. The mids and treble of these speakers envelop a room easily.
They sound great both on and off axis. I can't say enough how much I really, REALLY love these speakers.

I bet most of your eq issues would disappear if you heavily treated your room.

I've got a dozen Altec A6's scattered about the house and anything above a moderate volume starts to sound WAY too "mid-rangie" without a ton of fiberglass. In the rooms that have been treated, they sound great at rock concert levels.
post #100 of 101 Old 12-10-2017, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

I want to report I am no longer using any type of eq, peq adjustments, delay, or distance settings. I know it's not the correct thing to do scientifically speaking due to each room being different however I just can't get over hating the use of processing in my audio setup. I guess I am old school audio purist.

However since I've took away all processing and switched to direct mode on my Integra pre pro I enjoy 2-channel music much more now. I also want to say that the highs when using the IPD 2400 amp are super. This amp definitely put to rest my notions of Class D amps having inferior high-frequency reproduction. This is the cleanest neutral sounding amp I've ever owned. I'm so glad that I started using the speakers in direct mode. They sound so much better now. I can't recommend the Lan Gruppen IPD2400 amp enough for anyone who wants clean high frequency reproduction from a neutral sounding amp.

I'm obsessed with listening to music everyday with these speakers. Sometimes four to five hours per day on the weekends. I definitely intend for these speakers to be the last speaker I ever own until I'm in a box. The only upgrades I potentially see for these speakers is switching out the mid and high frequency drivers for something of higher quality. Maybe something with beryllium. And also maybe going to a completely electronic crossover one day. The audio reproduction with these speakers is stellar. These three ways blend so good together and the bass is very tight.

I do wish there was more bass for movies but I can't expect a whole lot of bass output from two 12s. These are the best speakers I've ever owned. Razor sharp highs and ultra defined mids. The only drawback to these speakers is that they're so revealing that any low quality audio reproductions will be spit back at you in great detail.

Last edited by LumensLover; 12-10-2017 at 04:20 PM.
post #101 of 101 Old 11-11-2019, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I want to report I am no longer using any type of eq, peq adjustments, delay, or distance settings. I know it's not the correct thing to do scientifically speaking due to each room being different however I just can't get over hating the use of processing in my audio setup. I guess I am old school audio purist.

However since I've took away all processing and switched to direct mode on my Integra pre pro I enjoy 2-channel music much more now. I also want to say that the highs when using the IPD 2400 amp are super. This amp definitely put to rest my notions of Class D amps having inferior high-frequency reproduction. This is the cleanest neutral sounding amp I've ever owned. I'm so glad that I started using the speakers in direct mode. They sound so much better now. I can't recommend the Lan Gruppen IPD2400 amp enough for anyone who wants clean high frequency reproduction from a neutral sounding amp.

I'm obsessed with listening to music everyday with these speakers. Sometimes four to five hours per day on the weekends. I definitely intend for these speakers to be the last speaker I ever own until I'm in a box. The only upgrades I potentially see for these speakers is switching out the mid and high frequency drivers for something of higher quality. Maybe something with beryllium. And also maybe going to a completely electronic crossover one day. The audio reproduction with these speakers is stellar. These three ways blend so good together and the bass is very tight.

I do wish there was more bass for movies but I can't expect a whole lot of bass output from two 12s. These are the best speakers I've ever owned. Razor sharp highs and ultra defined mids. The only drawback to these speakers is that they're so revealing that any low quality audio reproductions will be spit back at you in great detail.
Hope you have been enjoying this new speaker still. Wondering if you heard the new Klipschorns AK6 series and if so, how they compare to your Jubilees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page